Newbie and very confused

PippenBooBoo

Well not exactly a newbie Ive sailed NCL twice before but YEARS ago. Anyway: Im sailing on the Breakaway in April and Ive chosen the UBP and the shore excursion credit but am considering a switch from the shore excursion credits to the Dining Plan. Im confused about the Free at Sea dining plan and pricing of packages on the website.

The Free at Sea dining plan makes no mention of Moderno, Teppanyaki or La Cucina, included or excluded, while the package on the website (for purchase) lists them as included-no upcharge. I know that Ocean Blue, Raw Bar and Wasabi are included as an upcharge on the Free at Sea promo but can anyone tell me about the other 3?

Also before I booked the pricing of the dining plan and also shore excursions were cheaper than after I booked. Huh?? For example I was interested in booking a small cabana on GSC. The rate was $300 before I booked now its $550?! Will that rate come down once we board? Do they sell out?

Also before I booked the 4 meal dining plan was $84pp now its $99??

The Free at Sea dining Plan is the same terms as the 3day Specialty Dining Plan that you can purchase. The $84 to $99 is the addition of the 18% service charge.

The cabana price changes form cruise to cruise. It probably will not come down as they do sell out even at that price. The $299 you saw before you booked was the starting price - probably said "Adults from $299." Once you booked and logged in you would see the specific price for your cruise. If you log out and look at excursions you will again see the $299 price.

Edited by khaide612

The Free at Sea dining Plan is the same terms as the 3day Specialty Dining Plan that you can purchase. The $84 to $99 is the addition of the 18% service charge.

The cabana price changes form cruise to cruise. It probably will not come down as they do sell out even at that price. The $299 you saw before you booked was the starting price - probably said "Adults from $299." Once you booked and logged in you would see the specific price for your cruise. If you log out and look at excursions you will again see the $299 price.

I bought the 4 day specialty dinning pkg and it was $99 including service charge on the Epic. I reserved Moderno, Le Bistro, and Cagney's twice! Some restaurants, even if they are ala carte allow the use of the specialty, but any add entrees are at added cost.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

Also before I booked the 4 meal dining plan was $84pp now its $99??

The $84 pp was the 18% gratuity based on the sale price of the UBP. It has now increased on your account because you are also paying 18% gratuity based on the sale price of the dining plan.

This is on the NCL website:

IN WHICH VENUES WILL MY SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE BE HONORED?

On NCL website:SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

WHERE CAN I PURCHASE A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE?

You may purchase it online under our "Dining" section by logging into ncl.com/myncl or through any Norwegian Reservations Team Member. You may also purchase it onboard on the first or second day of your cruise. For three and four day cruises, this package may only be purchased on the first day of your cruise. Please call or visit any restaurant reservations podium.

IS THERE A MINIMUM AMOUNT OF MEALS I HAVE TO PURCHASE

Yes, a minimum of 3 meals is required.

IS THERE A MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF MEALS I CAN PURCHASE?

Yes, the number of meals purchased cannot exceed the length of the cruise.

Specialty dining packages are honored in Cagney's Steakhouse, Moderno Churrascaria, Teppanyaki and our French, Mexican and Italian restaurants across the fleet. Guests who have purchased the package may also choose to dine in other select à la carte priced restaurants, entertainment-based restaurants, Bayamo, Pincho Tapas Bar, and Ocean Blue restaurants, for the following per person upcharges:

The Supper Club - $15 USD

Ocean Blue - $15 USD

Bayamo - $15 USD

Cirque Dreams/Illusionarium - $10 USD regular seats/$15 USD premium seats/$35 USD VIP seating on Breakaway

Sushi -$7 USD

Raw Bar - $7 USD (does not include Seafood Plateau. If ordered, the upcharge is to be waived)

Pincho Tapas Bar - $7 USD

HOW CAN I MAKE DINING RESERVATIONS FOR A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE?

Once you have purchased a Specialty Dining Package, you can make any dining reservation online under "Dining" by logging into ncl.com/myncl or through any Norwegian Reservations Team Member. Reservations for Cirque Dreams/Spiegel Tent/Illusionarium/Supper Club must by made under "Entertainment." You can also make a reservation onboard the ship by calling or visiting the Restaurant Reservations Desk, visit any restaurant reservations podium or visit the box office for Cirque Dreams/Spiegel Tent/Illusionarium/Supper Club reservations.

CAN I MAKE A DINING RESERVATION FOR THOSE PARTICIPATING IN A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE TOGETHER WITH THOSE WHO ARE NOT PARTICIPATING?

Yes. Simply make your reservation at ncl.com/myncl or through any Norwegian Reservations Team Member. You can also make a reservation onboard the ship by calling or visiting the Restaurant Reservations Desk, visiting any restaurant reservations podium or visiting the box office for Cirque Dreams/Spiegel Tent/Illusionarium/Supper Club reservations. Applicable cover charges apply for those who have not purchased the Specialty Dining Package.

WHAT IF MY TRAVELING COMPANION DOESN’T WANT TO BUY A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE, DO THEY STILL HAVE TO PURCHASE IT?

No, guests staying in the same stateroom do not need to purchase the package. Specialty Dining Packages may be purchased individually.

CAN I BUY DINNER FOR MY FRIENDS WITH A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE?

Specialty Dining Packages are for personal consumption. If you wish to pay for someone else’s dinner, you will incur in regular cover charges for their consumption.

HOW WILL THE RESTAURANT STAFF KNOW I HAVE PURCHASED A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE?

Your room keycard will be coded as well as tagged with a sticker and used for identification. The restaurant staff will request to see your room keycard for verification prior to service. So keep it handy.

ARE GRATUITIES INCLUDED IN THE SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE PURCHASE PRICE?

No, an 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be automatically added to the cost of your package.

ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

No, all items listed on the menus are included in the package. Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney’s Steakhouse and Le Bistro.

ARE ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES INCLUDED IN SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

Specialty Dining Packages do not include alcohol, but we offer a wide range of beverage packages, including the Ultimate Beverage Package, Cork & Caps and Viva Vino. For more information about our beverage packages, please check out ncl.com "Onboard Packages" or visit any bar onboard the ship on the first day of your cruise.

This is on the NCL website:

On NCL website:SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

WHERE CAN I PURCHASE A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE?

You may purchase it online under our "Dining" section by logging into ncl.com/myncl or through any Norwegian Reservations Team Member. You may also purchase it onboard on the first or second day of your cruise. For three and four day cruises, this package may only be purchased on the first day of your cruise. Please call or visit any restaurant reservations podium.

IS THERE A MINIMUM AMOUNT OF MEALS I HAVE TO PURCHASE

Yes, a minimum of 3 meals is required.

IS THERE A MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF MEALS I CAN PURCHASE?

Yes, the number of meals purchased cannot exceed the length of the cruise.

Specialty dining packages are honored in Cagney's Steakhouse, Moderno Churrascaria, Teppanyaki and our French, Mexican and Italian restaurants across the fleet. Guests who have purchased the package may also choose to dine in other select à la carte priced restaurants, entertainment-based restaurants, Bayamo, Pincho Tapas Bar, and Ocean Blue restaurants, for the following per person upcharges:

The Supper Club - $15 USD

Ocean Blue - $15 USD

Bayamo - $15 USD

Cirque Dreams/Illusionarium - $10 USD regular seats/$15 USD premium seats/$35 USD VIP seating on Breakaway

Sushi -$7 USD

Raw Bar - $7 USD (does not include Seafood Plateau. If ordered, the upcharge is to be waived)

Pincho Tapas Bar - $7 USD

HOW CAN I MAKE DINING RESERVATIONS FOR A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE?

Once you have purchased a Specialty Dining Package, you can make any dining reservation online under "Dining" by logging into ncl.com/myncl or through any Norwegian Reservations Team Member. Reservations for Cirque Dreams/Spiegel Tent/Illusionarium/Supper Club must by made under "Entertainment." You can also make a reservation onboard the ship by calling or visiting the Restaurant Reservations Desk, visit any restaurant reservations podium or visit the box office for Cirque Dreams/Spiegel Tent/Illusionarium/Supper Club reservations.

CAN I MAKE A DINING RESERVATION FOR THOSE PARTICIPATING IN A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE TOGETHER WITH THOSE WHO ARE NOT PARTICIPATING?

Yes. Simply make your reservation at ncl.com/myncl or through any Norwegian Reservations Team Member. You can also make a reservation onboard the ship by calling or visiting the Restaurant Reservations Desk, visiting any restaurant reservations podium or visiting the box office for Cirque Dreams/Spiegel Tent/Illusionarium/Supper Club reservations. Applicable cover charges apply for those who have not purchased the Specialty Dining Package.

WHAT IF MY TRAVELING COMPANION DOESN’T WANT TO BUY A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE, DO THEY STILL HAVE TO PURCHASE IT?

No, guests staying in the same stateroom do not need to purchase the package. Specialty Dining Packages may be purchased individually.

CAN I BUY DINNER FOR MY FRIENDS WITH A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE?

Specialty Dining Packages are for personal consumption. If you wish to pay for someone else’s dinner, you will incur in regular cover charges for their consumption.

HOW WILL THE RESTAURANT STAFF KNOW I HAVE PURCHASED A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE?

Your room keycard will be coded as well as tagged with a sticker and used for identification. The restaurant staff will request to see your room keycard for verification prior to service. So keep it handy.

ARE GRATUITIES INCLUDED IN THE SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE PURCHASE PRICE?

No, an 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be automatically added to the cost of your package.

ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

No, all items listed on the menus are included in the package. Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney’s Steakhouse and Le Bistro.

ARE ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES INCLUDED IN SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

Specialty Dining Packages do not include alcohol, but we offer a wide range of beverage packages, including the Ultimate Beverage Package, Cork & Caps and Viva Vino. For more information about our beverage packages, please check out ncl.com "Onboard Packages" or visit any bar onboard the ship on the first day of your cruise.

Yes that is actually what confused me because this is what the Free at Sea specialty dining promo say:

Specialty Dining Package:

Sail Length Number Of Dining Package Meals Retail Value

3-9 Nights 3 $69 USD per person

10+ Nights 4 $84 USD per person

Package prices are subject to change.

Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities & service charges on the retail value of the Specialty Dining Package prior to cruise.

18% gratuities & service charges on the retail value of the Specialty Dining Package are included when booking through the Australia office.

Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation.

Food Republic, The Bake Shop, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, specialty items in the Asian restaurant, Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year's, Christmas, etc.), Jazz Brunch, Wine Lovers and Murder Mystery lunches, and beverages are not included as part of the Specialty Dining Packages.

You may choose to dine in the following venues as part of your Specialty Dining Package for the corresponding upcharges: The Supper Club ($15 USD), For the Record ($15 USD), Ocean Blue ($15 USD), Bayamo ($15 USD), Cirque Dreams and Illusionarium ($10 USD regular seats/$15 USD premium seats/$35 USD VIP seating on Breakaway), Sushi Bar ($7 USD), Pincho Tapas Bar ($7 USD), and Raw Bar ($7 USD).

Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants. Additional main courses will be charged at the a la carte price listed on the menu.

There is no minimum or maximum to the number of meals that can be redeemed in a day, however each meal is counted towards the package.

Edited by PippenBooBoo

• 3 weeks later...

If your trip includes a 3 days Speciality Dining Promo, what is the uncharge for Teppanyaki? From what I can understand (and that seems limited ;)) Only Cagneys and La Bistro are the choices without upcharge.

Anyone know? Thank you

Yes that is actually what confused me because this is what the Free at Sea specialty dining promo say:

Specialty Dining Package:

Sail Length Number Of Dining Package Meals Retail Value

3-9 Nights 3 $69 USD per person

10+ Nights 4 $84 USD per person

Package prices are subject to change.

Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities & service charges on the retail value of the Specialty Dining Package prior to cruise.

18% gratuities & service charges on the retail value of the Specialty Dining Package are included when booking through the Australia office.

Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation.

Food Republic, The Bake Shop, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, specialty items in the Asian restaurant, Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year's, Christmas, etc.), Jazz Brunch, Wine Lovers and Murder Mystery lunches, and beverages are not included as part of the Specialty Dining Packages.

You may choose to dine in the following venues as part of your Specialty Dining Package for the corresponding upcharges: The Supper Club ($15 USD), For the Record ($15 USD), Ocean Blue ($15 USD), Bayamo ($15 USD), Cirque Dreams and Illusionarium ($10 USD regular seats/$15 USD premium seats/$35 USD VIP seating on Breakaway), Sushi Bar ($7 USD), Pincho Tapas Bar ($7 USD), and Raw Bar ($7 USD).

Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants. Additional main courses will be charged at the a la carte price listed on the menu.

There is no minimum or maximum to the number of meals that can be redeemed in a day, however each meal is counted towards the package.

If your trip includes a 3 days Speciality Dining Promo, what is the uncharge for Teppanyaki? From what I can understand (and that seems limited ;)) Only Cagneys and La Bistro are the choices without upcharge.

Anyone know? Thank you

No up charge at Teppanyaki. Only the venues listed in the highlighted area you posted have an upcharge, which is listed.

The highlighted area for Cagneys and LeBistro is only indicating that you can only order "one main course" pp here without paying for the second one.

Included in SDP with no additional upcharge would be Cagneys, LeBistro, Moderno, La Cucina, Teppanyaki.

Buy the way with your shore exursion perk I believe you can only use it $50 per cabin, per port day. So I don't think you can use the whole of the value of excursion offer on any single excursion or cabana.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app[/quote

The OP should definately trade the Shore Exc perk for the Dining Plan. You'd get way more value from that considering your bill at an a la carte resturant could be $50 to $100 for two for a single meal.

No up charge at Teppanyaki. Only the venues listed in the highlighted area you posted have an upcharge, which is listed.

The highlighted area for Cagneys and LeBistro is only indicating that you can only order "one main course" pp here without paying for the second one.

Included in SDP with no additional upcharge would be Cagneys, LeBistro, Moderno, La Cucina, Teppanyaki.

Thank you for clearing that up!

Buy the way with your shore exursion perk I believe you can only use it $50 per cabin, per port day. So I don't think you can use the whole of the value of excursion offer on any single excursion or cabana.

The OP should definately trade the Shore Exc perk for the Dining Plan. You'd get way more value from that considering your bill at an a la carte resturant could be $50 to $100 for two for a single meal.

Def agree. The shore excursion perk is about the most useless thing I've ever seen. It's $50 per port, per cabin. So assuming you have 2+ in the cabin, you have to find a shore excursion that is $25 or within $25 of a price you are willing to pay for it. And that's not easy to do. And you lose the credit for any port you don't use an NCL excursion for.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The CAS rep gave me a $100 arcade and 50 photo pkg with my booking with the UBP. The arcade and photo pkg are pretty much useless to me and other reps said they can not swap them for anything else. I wonder if this can be done once onboard?

Rob G.

The CAS rep gave me a $100 arcade and 50 photo pkg with my booking with the UBP. The arcade and photo pkg are pretty much useless to me and other reps said they can not swap them for anything else. I wonder if this can be done once onboard?

Rob G.

Very, very unlikely. Basically, No.

Def agree. The shore excursion perk is about the most useless thing I've ever seen. It's $50 per port, per cabin. So assuming you have 2+ in the cabin, you have to find a shore excursion that is $25 or within $25 of a price you are willing to pay for it. And that's not easy to do. And you lose the credit for any port you don't use an NCL excursion for.

It the shore excursion perk $50 per port or just one time per cabin, so only $50?

Edited by kalliyan1

It the shore excursion perk $50 per port or just one time per cabin, so only $50?

It's $50/per port/booking (cabin).

But....what is often misunderstood when that perk is chosen is that you can not combine the per port credit in to a chunk and apply it to a single excursion in one port. For example we would not be permitted to take the $150 ($50 for our 3 ports) and apply it to a cabana in GSC - you can only apply $50 per port.

OP are you sailing to Bermuda? I'm that case the excursion credit is $50/cabin/day in Bermuda (3 days). So for a Bermuda cruise the Shore Excursion perk is worth up to $150.

Good luck with your decision.

It's $50/per port/booking (cabin).

But....what is often misunderstood when that perk is chosen is that you can not combine the per port credit in to a chunk and apply it to a single excursion in one port. For example we would not be permitted to take the $150 ($50 for our 3 ports) and apply it to a cabana in GSC - you can only apply $50 per port.

Does that credit have to be used on a shore excursion or can it convert to ship board credit and be used on "whatever"?

Does that credit have to be used on a shore excursion or can it convert to ship board credit and be used on "whatever"?

It has to be used towards a shore excursion and only $50 per port. So if you have 3 ports and do a $30 pp NCL excursion at port 1, a $20 pp NCL excursion at port 2, and DIY port 3, you will only get $90 in OBC credit on your account instead of $150. Think of it more like a shore excursion coupon than OBC.