Grand or Star to Hawaii

magicsoccer

We are trying to decide between the 2 ships. Itinerary's and cost are basically the same. Grand is out of San Fran and Star is our of Los Angeles, does this make any difference? We like to use the sanctuary. Suggestions and ideas please?

If port of embarkation doesn't make any difference then recommend the Star.

Star has:

Larger open closets in balcony cabins, twice as large.

Larger and more open Neptune's Reef seating area around the pool

Skywalker's

Better buffet layout

Grand has:

Club One 5 instead of Skywalker's

Alfredo's

Slightly more open piazza area

Both have almost identical sanctuaries. Realize that the first few days at sea are normally cool and may not be lounging weather.

If staying a few days pre-cruise S.F is better than L.A.

Living 40 miles away from San Francisco makes my choice easy, but other reasons include the sailaway from SF is prettier and the cruise from SF is one day longer.

Whether cruising from SF or LA both cruises are 15 days.

Like you going to SF, driving to LA is my biggest factor however for a pre-cruise visit SF is a more scenic & easily accessible option. With Northern California water & air temperatures being colder, I'm wondering if the weather would be slightly better from LA.

While the Grand had Skywalker's removed, I'd enjoy the Grand's Alfredo's Pizzeria more often even with the limited pizza only menu & not the expanded multi course menu on the Royal & Regal.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I would choose the Grand. Of course I live close so it's an easy choice for me but I do prefer the sail away out of SF and going under the Golden Gate Bridge compared to LA.

Another thing to consider is even though the ship's are similar, Grand just got out of dry dock and is refreshed.

Edited by Sacto Rick

On the basis of the ship alone, I'd choose the Star...but either is fine and honestly, I, unlike a previous poster, hardly ever make it to a Skywalker's. (I've never been on a sailing where Skywalker's hasn't been empty except for Platinum Lounge hours and special events.) But if you haven't been to San Francisco, remember that sightseeing is easy via public transport or cabs and the port is right in the middle of town. Seeing LA and sailing out of San Pedro is a somewhat more involved process, and if you've never sailed out under the Golden Gate Bridge, that's a major thrill...assuming the fog isn't too bad.

The first day or two out may be cooler from SFO, but the Grand does have a covered pool.

And, not to sound negative, but...if you're sailing to Hawaii, you really have to like your sea days. If seeing the islands is your major priority, you might be better off flying to one of the islands directly and renting a car.

Whether cruising from SF or LA both cruises are 15 days.

Hmm, ok but that was not always the case, as I have done 2 Star roundtrips and 1 Golden. The extra day up to SFO was the climb north out of Ensenada.

Edited by MTJSR

Hmm, ok but that was not always the case, as I have done 2 Star roundtrips and 1 Golden. The extra day up to SFO was the climb north out of Ensenada.
The LA - Hawaii run used to be a 14 day cruise. But a few years ago, Princess added a sea day on the return trip from the Islands to Ensenada. So now there are 4 sea days going and 5 sea days on the return. This allows for a full day in Ensenada, rather than a courtesy call to comply with the PVSA.

Thank you for the replies. We love sea days so the amount of sea days is not the issue at all. Will hopefully use the sanctuary. We also thought that maybe the trip out of San Fran would be nice to see the bridge. We just went out of New York and that was amazing. As of right now, we are thinking that Grand in April 2018 is what we may do. Now to make the decision between Hawaii or Panama Canal. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the replies. We love sea days so the amount of sea days is not the issue at all. Will hopefully use the sanctuary. We also thought that maybe the trip out of San Fran would be nice to see the bridge. We just went out of New York and that was amazing. As of right now, we are thinking that Grand in April 2018 is what we may do. Now to make the decision between Hawaii or Panama Canal. :rolleyes:

I honestly prefer the Hawaii itinerary. We also love the sea days, and we love the ports when we are there. We have done the Panama Canal a few times as well, through the old locks, and are not too keen on most of the ports on that cruise, but love the canal transit itself.

We will do the Panama Canal through the new locks, but Hawaii again first. Also, the sail out of SF can be very lovely, prefer SF to LA. There is a lot to do in walking distance if you stay near the waterfront in SF, and some nice tours available as well. We like the Grand even though she doesn't have Skywalker's anymore, as she does have window suites (we enjoy them) and Alfredo's. In LA, we do enjoy some of the tourist opportunities as well, in particular a day at the Getty (make luncheon reservations ahead of time if you decide to go).

Decisions, decisions, love first world problems. So blessed. :D