Dress code at Royal Court Theatre on Queen Victoria

highlands1234

It seems as if you are adding to the confusion over the published code, it's not very helpful for newcomers to Cunard to have additional rules invented.

Hardly, I was simply urging folks to take the high road rather than seek the lowest level of allowable behavior.

There is no high road or lowest levels of behaviour, there is a dress code!

Let's not try and make it more than it is.

OK we will agree to disagree. As I was once a newspaper publisher, I know that one should never try to debate one who buys ink by the barrel and you have the title host so that gives you the most ink. Time to move on until the next attire question. It does make one wonder that with close to six pages of the passenger contract and a myriad of other printed materials supplied by Cunard, the only item that people do not seem to understand is the dress code. Do you not find this unique?

What to Wear

To assist with packing, we would respectfully request that you read and follow the on board Dress Code policy detailed below. Your consideration for fellow guests and co-operation in adhering to this Dress Code helps us to maintain that unique and special ambiance which our guests enjoy on board a Cunard ocean liner.

Daytime Attire

During the day, stylish casual-wear, including shorts and smart jeans, is fine on board, in keeping with the ship's elegant surroundings. Swimsuits, micro shorts, sarongs and gym wear should be reserved for pool-side, on deck or in the Spa and Fitness Centre and we do request that swimwear be covered up before entering any enclosed areas. For Shore Excursions, please remember to respect the cultural dress norms of your hosts when visiting shrines, temples and churches. During the winter months, in the Mediterranean and Atlantic Islands, we suggest that you pack a waterproof jacket and clothing that can be layered, so you can be comfortable in all conditions from sunny afternoons to chilly nights.

Evening attire

1. FormalDress code video

Dinner jacket, tuxedo or dark suit with tie for gentlemen.

A range of gentlemen's formal wear is available to hire on board ship.

Evening or cocktail dress for ladies

2. Informal

Jacket required, tie optional for gentlemen

Cocktail dress, stylish separates or equivalent for ladies.

Any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido main buffet restaurant and relax in the Carinthia Lounge, Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship.

You can view each evening’s attire on your Voyage Itinerary. Each evening’s attire will also be specified in the ship’s Daily Programme which will be delivered to your stateroom every evening. On voyages of less than four days, not all dress codes may apply.

[/Quote]

that'a really helpful...

so clearly we can continue with cruise casual after 6 pm as long as we stay in the Kings Court, Lido buffet, Carinthia Lounge, Winter Garden or Garden Lounge.

that's fine for me.....i'm not interested in evening shows....one restaurant and one bar is plenty as far as i'm concerned.

I'd rather do that and be comfortable in cruise casual, than dress up in clothes that i can't stand.

and if we really want to make a night of it, we can rent DH a tux - i assume they'll have the full get up in his size, with shoes to match.

I doubt we'll do it - we're really not that sort of party people, but the option is there if we feel the need.

.. unless I've been looking in the wrong places, no where does it state shorts cannot be worn in the main restaurants during the day

Cunard say "The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court or Lido Restaurant." Not explicit, I agree, but the use of the word "however" clearly implies shorts are not appropriate in the main restaurants.

The dictionary definition of "however" says it is "used to introduce a statement that contrasts with something that has been said previously". So, shorts are OK in Kings Court, but this contrasts with their inappropriateness in main restaurants.

Whether this pretty clear code is adhered to, or enforced, is another question of course.

But let's face reality. To my observation no one (passengers or staff) cares about shorts at breakfast or lunch in Britannia, particularly in a tropical port. You may go all aflutter at the sight but you'd be in a distinct minority.

Cunard say "The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court or Lido Restaurant." Not explicit, I agree, but the use of the word "however" clearly implies shorts are not appropriate in the main restaurants.

The dictionary definition of "however" says it is "used to introduce a statement that contrasts with something that has been said previously". So, shorts are OK in Kings Court, but this contrasts with their inappropriateness in main restaurants.

Whether this pretty clear code is adhered to, or enforced, is another question of course.

As I said, there is an ambiguity to the daytime casual dress interpretation.

You have quoted ''however'' from online FAQs. Skip to the Cunard brochure, either actual or the online version, and there the FAQs at the end of the brochure makes no mention of the ''however'' etc.and neither does the Voyage Personaliser as Highlands quoted, under the drop down 'what to wear',

If the main company brochure and more important, once booked, the personaliser 'allow' shorts in the main restaurants during the day, then that will be the rule to follow.

At the end of the day, all this is moot because agree with it or not, most shorts are permitted in the main restaurants, breakfast and lunch time and passengers are not denied entry when wearing the accepted variety.

As I said, there is an ambiguity to the daytime casual dress interpretation.

You have quoted ''however'' from online FAQs. Skip to the Cunard brochure, either actual or the online version, and there the FAQs at the end of the brochure makes no mention of the ''however'' etc.and neither does the Voyage Personaliser as Highlands quoted, under the drop down 'what to wear',

You said earlier "unless I've been looking in the wrong places, no where does it state shorts cannot be worn in the main restaurants during the day". I have pointed out where it does say it.

You said earlier "unless I've been looking in the wrong places, no where does it state shorts cannot be worn in the main restaurants during the day". I have pointed out where it does say it.

So you did.:) However, I used the word ''ambiguity'' for the simple reason, the right hand doesn't seem to know what the left hand has written and so ''however'' in these circumstances means nothing to me.

I think we will have to agree to disagree.:)

I have absolutely no intention of lowering the tone while travelling on Cunard. I have no intention of "flouting" any rules. I have some beautiful evening wear and very dressy daytime shorts and tops.

What does confuse me is the attitude of many on this board who clearly seem judgemental. From what has been said and stated by Cunard, shorts are allowed in the MDR during breakfast and lunch. How on earth can a man or woman dressed in smart, resort style attire on a summer cruise, be deemed to be lowering the tone or being disrespectful etc?

I will dress well when in public areas, stay out of the public areas on the nights I don't want to dress up and I will enjoy my cruise but I am pretty sure this will be my one and only Cunard cruise. The thought of upsetting other passengers if my husband or I are not up to scratch does not make for a relaxing holiday. God forbid he remove his jacket if hot while watching a show.

Yes, I love that Cunard has a standard and I fully understand that people should know and respect this but many here really do take that too far.

This is from my voyage personaliser and this is what I will adhere to:

"Daytime Attire

During the day, stylish casual-wear, including shorts and smart jeans, is fine on board, in keeping with the ship's elegant surroundings."

There is no "however" in that.

Edited by Scottygirl1

This definitely has turned into a more spirited debate then I thought it would.

Scottygirl,

I was never able to find the reference to casual wear being required in the MDR. If it is what is required and shorts are not allowed, I would think Cunard would put it in the voyage personaliser for individuals that have booked and are setting sail. I mean the voyage personaliser is for people who have booked to help them plan on what to pack, you shouldn't have to search the website for it if its that big of an issue. As you stated, no where does the voyage personaliser talk about casual wear in the MDR during the day, and there is no "however".

I think i will leave the cargo shorts at home and just wear my regular shorts so as to not upset anyone. With everything that is going on in the world, I am glad we are getting these important issues ironed out. ;-)

Scottygirl,

I was never able to find the reference to casual wear being required in the MDR. If it is what is required and shorts are not allowed, I would think Cunard would put it in the voyage personaliser for individuals that have booked and are setting sail. I mean the voyage personaliser is for people who have booked to help them plan on what to pack, you shouldn't have to search the website for it if its that big of an issue. As you stated, no where does the voyage personaliser talk about casual wear in the MDR during the day, and there is no "however".

I think i will leave the cargo shorts at home and just wear my regular shorts so as to not upset anyone. With everything that is going on in the world, I am glad we are getting these important issues ironed out. ;-)

If you go into the VP and click on FAQs, then Life On Board, then 'Is there a Dress Code?', you get to the words I have quoted - complete with "however". So people can choose not to follow the pretty clear statement about shorts, but there can be no valid argument that it doesn't exist - it does and is available in the VP.

Scottygirl,

I've always said I prefer a formal dress code. It just sets a tone. That being said, I've seldom seen anyone dressed "elegantly" at breakfast. We still have way too much time to put on our "day" faces to worry about dressing up at breakfast. I dress casual on port days as we're often on our way to an excursion. Sea days I'll dress casual at breakfast but smart casual at lunch. I've been in the Grills & Britannia, trust me the dress style is NO different! Now let's all play well & have fun..

If you go into the VP and click on FAQs, then Life On Board, then 'Is there a Dress Code?', you get to the words I have quoted - complete with "however". So people can choose not to follow the pretty clear statement about shorts, but there can be no valid argument that it doesn't exist - it does and is available in the VP.

Teddy,

When I log in to my VP the only FAQ link i see is at the top right. When I click that, I get the message below:

FAQs

Voyage Personaliser holds all of the information you need, to help you prepare for your Voyage. However if you still haven't found what you are looking for please try our frequently asked questions.

When i click the link above (underlined in quote), I get a column on the left side of the webpage with 4 links "General questions, Before you sail, On Board, and On shore". When i click on the "before you sail" link on the left, I get the information below regarding dress code;

What do I wear on board during the day?

You’ll need to pack a range of cooler to warmer clothes, depending on your itinerary and the time of year you travel. On board during the day, you’ll probably find yourself most comfortable in stylish casual wear, including shorts and smart jeans. Swimwear, micro shorts, sarongs and gym wear should be reserved for the poolside, on deck or in the spa and fitness centre. We request that swimwear be covered up before entering any enclosed areas.

What about shore attire?

Be comfortable but please remember to respect the cultural dress norms of your hosts when visiting houses of worship. A lightweight raincoat and umbrella never go amiss! Finally, a pair of comfortable walking shoes (plus a spare pair of glasses) will always stand you in good stead.

Do I have to dress for dinner every evening?

Evening attire is effective from 6pm. Dressing up elegantly for dinner is one of the great thrills of a Cunard vacation, yet we also want our guests to feel relaxed. So each evening our dress code will either be formal or informal, details for which can be found on your Voyage Personaliser at vp.cunard.com. The evening dress code will also be specified in your ship’s Daily Programme, which is delivered to your stateroom each day.

On formal nights, guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido main buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar. Please be respectful of fellow guests by avoiding the more formal areas of the ship, including our Alternate Dining restaurants.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts, blue or worn denim (for men and women), sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within any of the ship’s public areas.

Formal: Dinner jacket, tuxedo or dark suit with tie for gentlemen. A range of gentlemen’s formal wear is available to hire on board. Evening or cocktail dress for ladies.

Informal: Jacket required, tie optional for gentlemen. Cocktail dress or stylish separates for ladies. No jeans or shorts.

None of the other links under the faq page (e.g. General question, on board and on shore) discuss dress code.

Now going back to the vp.cunard.com (which the faq link above directs me away from) there is no other faq link i can see. I have 8 tabs at the top of the site when logged in to vp.cunard.com. These include:

Travel Documents tab, Preparing to go tab, getting there and back tab, life on board tab, dining tab, going ashore tab, spa tab, and little luxuries tab. I am not going to name all the pull down options on all the tabs, but needless to say, I have gone through all of them, and I have found two locations pertinent regarding dress code, both with the exact same language which I have already copied and pasted on this thread. One is found under the dining tab, on a link titled what to wear, the other is under the preparing to go tab, under the link packing for your holiday,

So long story short Teddy, I dont see any FAQ stating no shorts in the MDR that you are confident exist.

highlands1234,

Do you reside in North America? What you are describing is the behavior one sees for FAQ's on Cunard's web sites in North America while what Teddy123 has described is the behavior one sees for FAQ's on Cunard's web sites in the UK. Unless someone from North America learns about the more robust UK Cunard FAQ site at "ask.cunard.com" from a source such as Cruise Critic, he or she is unlikely to ever find that additional statement from Cunard we have been discussing about shorts not being appropriate in the main dining room for breakfast and lunch.

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion about this.

Regards,

John

Just to add some more of my two cents to the discussion about whether shorts are considered appropriate or not in the main dining room during breakfast and lunch, count me among those who have always found this statement we have been discussing from Cunard's UK FAQ to be confusing at best and self-contradictory at worst.

The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth).

To my mind, the concept of "a casual wear dress code" includes shorts being allowed. As highlands1234 has pointed out, Cunard's FAQ pages for North America include this statement which tends to indicate (to me at least) that Cunard considers shorts to be included in a "casual wear" dress code, and even a "stylish casual wear" dress code to boot.

On board during the day, you’ll probably find yourself most comfortable in stylish casual wear, including shorts and smart jeans.

I hope this helps explain why I agree with Victoria2 that the right hand doesn't seem to know what the left hand has written with some of the various statements from Cunard about the dress code.

Regards,

John

Edited by bluemarble

Bluemarble,

You are right, I am one of those boorish Americans trying to "buck the system" ;-). Thank you for pointing out the discrepancies between the two websites. Also when I manually typed in ask.cunard.com it redirected to cunard.com as it most likely detected my american IP address. I think the takeaway from this thread is never assume. I think I got defensive when the above terms where used on this thread, and I imagine the individuals using those terms assumed we all were seeing the same thing. What we Americans see regarding the FAQ and info on vp.cunard.com is apparently different then the UK version. Perhaps cunard is more lax with Americans as we are not predisposed to the downtown abbey type etiquette ;-)

Agree with you and Victoria2, and given the ambiguity from Cunard regarding this, dont think its against the dress code to eat breakfast and lunch in the MDR in shorts, at least as an American. ;-)

Edited by highlands1234

Bluemarble,

You are right, I am one of those boorish Americans trying to "buck the system" ;-). Thank you for pointing out the discrepancies between the two websites. Also when I manually typed in ask.cunard.com it redirected to cunard.com as it most likely detected my american IP address. I think the takeaway from this thread is never assume. I think I got defensive when the above terms where used on this thread, and I imagine the individuals using those terms assumed we all were seeing the same thing. What we Americans see regarding the FAQ and info on vp.cunard.com is apparently different then the UK version. Perhaps cunard is more lax with Americans as we are not predisposed to the downtown abbey type etiquette ;-)

Yes, as you have found, Cunard makes the UK FAQ at "ask.cunard.com" hard to use in the U.S. by redirecting references to "ask.cunard.com" from the U.S. back to "cunard.com". The work-around is mentioned in the following thread I started about that issue.

Problem with ask.cunard.com from the U.S.

That work-around (other than using a VPN to make it look like your request is coming from the UK) is to use a more specific URL that takes you to one of the individual sub-sections of the UK FAQ such as the "Life on Board" section found at https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/. That URL will work from the U.S. to get you into the UK FAQ.

Regards,

John

Bluemarble,

I see the statement Teddy is referencing from your workaround link. However, no cruiser should be expected or be required to weed through the cruise critic forums to find this. The responsibility rest 100% with Cunard to update the cunard.com website. Given the fact they have not bothered, no other cruisers can self righteously proclaim that people are bucking the system and ignoring the rules. It is beyond ridiculous that any finger pointing is directed at someone in the States that can only access the information available at cunard.com and vp.cunard.com. If people dont want see shorts in the MDR at breakfast and lunch, then I would kindly tell them to write to Cunard to update the cunard.com guidance to match the UK guidance so there is no ambiguity.

I am sure there are 1000's of cruisers that book, go to the company website for guidance and get on the ship without having ever gone to cruisecritic.com, and who can blame them? All information deemed pertinent and relevant by the cruise line should be there.

Bluemarble,

I see the statement Teddy is referencing from your workaround link. However, no cruiser should be expected or be required to weed through the cruise critic forums to find this. The responsibility rest 100% with Cunard to update the cunard.com website. Given the fact they have not bothered, no other cruisers can self righteously proclaim that people are bucking the system and ignoring the rules. It is beyond ridiculous that any finger pointing is directed at someone in the States that can only access the information available at cunard.com and vp.cunard.com. If people dont want see shorts in the MDR at breakfast and lunch, then I would kindly tell them to write to Cunard to update the cunard.com guidance to match the UK guidance so there is no ambiguity.

I am sure there are 1000's of cruisers that book, go to the company website for guidance and get on the ship without having ever gone to cruisecritic.com, and who can blame them? All information deemed pertinent and relevant by the cruise line should be there.

This response says those in the US can only reasonably be expected to use info available in the US, then rants at those in the UK who, quite reasonably, make comments based on what's available in the UK. I prefer discussions based on facts and logic so won't be adding more here.

PS. I've said for a long time that it's a good job Cunard cruises are better than their website!

Perhaps I can now provide a definitive answer to the question of whether Cunard considers shorts to be acceptable in the main dining rooms during breakfast and lunch. On the one hand, there is that statement from "ask.cunard.com" we have been discussing at some length which certainly implies shorts are not considered appropriate in the MDR during breakfast and lunch. On the other hand, as several posters have pointed out, the de facto policy on board has been to allow shorts in the MDR during breakfast and lunch. So which is it?

A few days ago I took the opportunity to use the link "Unable to find your answer? Email Us" found at the bottom of each FAQ on "ask.cunard.com" to follow up about this. I quoted the statement in question from the FAQ "Is there a dress code on board?" and asked whether or not shorts are allowed in the MDR during breakfast and lunch, given that the statement in the FAQ implies shorts are not allowed. This morning I received the following reply from Cunard (where ******* represents details I have redacted).

Dear *******,

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm you are able to wear shorts (except swimming shorts) within the main dining room for breakfast and lunch.

If you would like to wear shorts in the evening, you may visit the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth).

We look forward to welcoming you on board shortly.

Your enquiry tracking number is *******. If you need to contact us about your enquiry, please quote this number.

Yours sincerely

Frequently Asked Questions

Cunard Line

I think this reply from Cunard also clarifies another statement in the FAQ regarding shorts that I, for one, have always found a bit confusing. You may recall the answer to the FAQ "Is there a dress code on board?" also includes this statement.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

Since the phrase "within the ship" could be interpreted to mean all public areas within the ship, including the Kings Court and Lido buffets, one might come to the conclusion that shorts are not considered appropriate even in the Kings Court and Lido after 6pm. The email reply from Cunard I have quoted above indicates that shorts are indeed permitted in the Kings Court and Lido during the evening.

I hope this has helped provide some clarification on a couple points about the dress code that in my view Cunard have obfuscated with the way they have worded the answer to their FAQ "Is there a dress code on board?".

Regards,

John