Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

As you know, we have no mountains. We are barely above sea level, but 7 miles inland.

It's not the water with this storm apparently, but the wind. I appreciate your concern. We will take heed. We were here for Andrew. And have lived here since 1976, but I have also weathered hurricanes before that. Nothing to be trifled with.

Was doing some additional reading this am and realizing how super bad they are expecting Hurricane Irma to be. Below is one headline/graphic projection. From CNN, they are reporting with this headline: "Hurricane Irma strengthens to Category 5: Puerto Rico, Florida brace". More details at:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/05/us/hurricane-irma-puerto-rico-florida/index.html

Good luck to Spins and others in Florida. One news picture this morning showed a local store near Miami with bare, sold-out shelves of water and other supplies. Any other insights, comments, background from Candy? Are you going to stay there through the storm?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 186,275 views for this posting.

From the cover of the popular Drudge Report website, here is the graphic and headline featured this morning about Florida. Ouch!! Not a good-looking potential.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-05%20at%208.51.57%20AM_zpspwmf6mtc.png

Hi All.....been busy so trying to catch up and not miss anything!

Spins.....see Irma is now Cat5.....and heading for Fla...do hope all will be ok for you...sounds like you're very well organised with the prep...despite the neighbors!

Lois....great to see you enjoyed your weekend...and good that you're looking for a future voyage....always the best thing to do to beat the post cruise blues!

Delish food offerings again from our regular chefs!

Happy Day 😊

People are panicking. Shelves empty of water and canned stuff. Lines at gas stations.

So many elderly and infirm people live here.

I went out early this am at 730 am. No water at three places. No water at big box stores.

I have plenty of San pelligrino, but no plain water.

Will try again later.

The pressure of storm dropping.

Winds increasing.

That's the report now...

Thoughts for the leeward islands and others in the immediate path.

Messaged my Dad this morning. He's preparing too. They were going to Vermont this weekend but thinking that's not a great idea now.

Jeff, that chicken looks amazing! We'll see what food I can scrounge up tonight, to dilute all the wine that we plan to drink. First night off call since last weekend calls for celebration!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Thanks for updates ..... it is all very worrying. I do so hope it passes by with the least damage and disruption.

thanks JP, it was a lovely tandoori today, wifey says the best I have ever done. I think the main difference comes from a short pre-marinade, marinade in fresh lemon. That really lifted it. Then just marinaded overnight in my mix of spices and yoghurt.

Best wishes and thoughts to all facing severe weather.

People are panicking. Shelves empty of water and canned stuff. Lines at gas stations.

So many elderly and infirm people live here. I went out early this am at 730 am. No water at three places. No water at big box stores. I have plenty of San pelligrino, but no plain water. Will try again later. The pressure of storm dropping. Winds increasing. That's the report now... Thoughts for the leeward islands and others in the immediate path.

Appreciate this helpful follow-up and these details from Spins. So you have lots of San Pelligrino and need plain water?? Am happy to do a trade!! Have a large quantity of plain water here in Ohio. Can I e-mail it to you? Sorry, just joking. BUT, this is a serious, sad challenge for Florida.

That main part of this state has no mountains. Millions of people in the southeastern part of Florida. Not easy to have people there, especially with many being older and more limited in their mobility, to depart and go to higher, safer locations. Keep us posted as things develop. We will be watching on TV and the web as the hurricane tracking happens and moves.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 34,388 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

From the Miami Herald late this morning, they have this headline: Irma becomes strongest Atlantic hurricane outside Gulf and Caribbean ever recorded with these highlights: Irma spun into a monster storm Tuesday morning with sustained winds topping 180 mph, becoming the strongest Atlantic hurricane ever recorded outside the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean, National Hurricane Center forecasters said in their 11 a.m. advisory.

Full story at:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article171291337.html

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Today was a lovely tandoori chicken.

Jeff: What was the sauce that I saw with that tasty chicken??? I always like to know about that little "detail" that makes such a big difference to accompany and highlight such dishes.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 227,169 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Even the stores up here are packed:eek:........I went to Publix after work and got bottled water and some extra dry goods...

Irma is not even supposed to be up this way till late weekend but it looks like folks are taking her very seriously......

The store was SLAMMED..........glad I decided to get it all today because I bet the closer the weekend gets the more the stores

will run out..........

Jeff, your chicken looks YUMMY:)

Lois, I see that you are in Northeast Florida, which may not be affected at all per the 5pm models, but glad you are taking precautions. I remember when the millennium was upon us and our utility company (for which I worked at the time) predicted there would be a total meltdown caused by the systems not being prepared, DH bought a lot of dry goods (cans of tuna and sausages, bottled water and wine, and jars of pickles - which I never understood why...) and then nothing happened!! He ended up using everything in stride, except the pickles, which we had to throw out when expired like three years after. Better to laugh at this, that be wanting.

We worked all day on moving furniture and stowing it. Our old bodies continued on pure adrenaline and our voices were hoarse from fatigue.

Exhaustion. But surprising ourselves we could push through it to work so hard.

I lifted stuff today that I didn't think I was capable of!

Finally got some water.

Half of house shuttered.

It's dark without natural light.

We are lucky.

We have lots of resources.

We watch the storm on the national hurricane center.

It's a beautifully gruesome giant.

Thought are with leeward islands.

Even the stores up here are packed:eek:........I went to Publix after work and got bottled water and some extra dry goods... Irma is not even supposed to be up this way till late weekend but it looks like folks are taking her very seriously...... The store was SLAMMED..........glad I decided to get it all today because I bet the closer the weekend gets the more the stores will run out.......

We worked all day on moving furniture and stowing it. Our old bodies continued on pure adrenaline and our voices were hoarse from fatigue. Exhaustion. But surprising ourselves we could push through it to work so hard. I lifted stuff today that I didn't think I was capable of! Finally got some water. Half of house shuttered. It's dark without natural light. We are lucky. We have lots of resources. We watch the storm on the national hurricane center. It's a beautifully gruesome giant. Thought are with leeward islands.

Appreciate these added details from Lois in the Jacksonville area and Spins in the eye of the storm. The national media are covering this story in a big manner. Fortunately with the web these days, we can check radar regularly, projections, etc.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 34,388 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

From AccuWeather, here are two of their graphics showing the probable direction options for Hurricane Irma. Florida gets hit, but how hard and exactly which side of the Sunshine State is damaged the most?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-05%20at%207.09.40%20PM_zpst8xxfes2.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-05%20at%207.09.58%20PM_zpswale8xas.png

Hi, Jeff,

Although this is not exactly about Irma, it is sort of related to hurricane preparations. My husband and I were just wondering if we might experience residual effects of the hurricane in Boston, when he realized he is supposed to be in London next week and hasn't made any arrangements.

I wondered if I could tap into your knowledge of London and ask if you have recommendations for a reliable car service to take him from Heathrow to Fleet Street and for a good hotel near Peterborough Court?

Thanks,

Karen

Jeff

We are here.

We are prepared way ahead of the storm

Still not definite where it's actually going in terms of a direct hit on us.

The only time I evacuated was a mandatory evacuation from the keys for Andrew.

Not sure where we would go now

Not know where to go.

Spinnaker and Lois - Hope you fare well in the storm. I'm headed down to Alligator Point on Thursday to secure the house and remove a few "treasured" items. If we get a direct hit, the Point will no longer exist!

Our thoughts go out to those whose lives are at risk in the islands.

Jeff. We are here. We are prepared way ahead of the storm. Still not definite where it's actually going in terms of a direct hit on us. The only time I evacuated was a mandatory evacuation from the keys for Andrew. Not sure where we would go now Not know where to go.

Good to see that Spins and DH are working so hard to be fully prepared for this coming weekend. Great question as to where you would go if you people had to have a mandatory evacuation of Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties. These are the three largest counties in Florida with more than six million people there. Miami-Dade has 2.7 million people and is the seventh most populous county in the United States. Big, BIG counties!! Orlando is the only place nearby with lots of hotel rooms. BUT, there is certainly not enough room in and around Disney World to take care of six million people. Some stories indicate that the Orlando area is almost tied with Las Vegas for having the most hotel rooms in world with about 150,000 hotel units. That's lots, but not enough in this type of crisis.

Good luck and God bless to all in these affected areas. We will continue to watch with strong personal interest.

Super loved visiting many different parts of the Caribbean. See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples for historic San Juan, etc., at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2264847

Spins,

Thoughts with you and all people potentially affected by Irma. You need no suggestions from anyone because you are wise and informed. But if you are in "any doubt" vacate. There is nothing you can do from inside the property to better protect it by being there but personal safety is primary. Most people that are injured or worst make an emotive and poor decision to stay when common sense says to be prudent and to maximise safety and hedge your bets and leave.

Hi, Jeff,

Although this is not exactly about Irma, it is sort of related to hurricane preparations. My husband and I were just wondering if we might experience residual effects of the hurricane in Boston, when he realized he is supposed to be in London next week and hasn't made any arrangements.

I wondered if I could tap into your knowledge of London and ask if you have recommendations for a reliable car service to take him from Heathrow to Fleet Street and for a good hotel near Peterborough Court?

Thanks,

Karen

Karen, no problems at all ..... the world must go on .... and to be honest the world outside Irma is also confronted by other dangerous concerns at this moment ie Founders Days in North Korea on Saturday and how that idiot there decides to "celebrate" and to provoke the rest of the World ie Trump. That might prove to be - or not - a pivotal moment in all out lives. I do so hope not ..... let us hope he does nothing bigly.

If his heart is set on a limmo or pre-booked car ride - which really is overkill - then we use Blacklane for all our European limo rides and sometimes other places. The advantage is that you use an app on your ipad to book or cancel limos. A choice between standard and exec ie a Merc C or above, and if you google an intoructory 10% discount. I recommended them to Camels to use from Southampton and she was happy. I've used them loads of times and it has been mostly good. On top of the quoted fees you will probably pick up expensive short-term parking costs whilst he waits. Blacklane in my experience can be cheaper than taxis particularly when there is "loading" for certain taxi trips.

https://www.blacklane.com/en?utm_term=%2Bblacklane&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand%20-%20Blacklane%20%E2%80%93%20EN&utm_adgroup=bm_1_0%20Blacklane%20%E2%80%93%20Brand%20-%20Generic&utm_account=a01%20%E2%80%93%20Brand%20EN%20-%20WW&campaignid=140688995&adgroupid=40013579406&adposition=1t1&matchtype=b&gclid=Cj0KCQjwub7NBRDJARIsAP7wlT_77aY5JCF8s90h3WQip0nKj-YmBu4XsoZoVfHqDwLczSU8ywfo9Q8aAk7REALw_wcB

If he neither has luggage or is using his own cash then I wouldn't bother with a limo or car and either get the tube into town or Heathrow Express for more cash and an easier visit. Heathrow is much quicker than a car or taxi. This is how to do it using Heathrow Express .... he could get a cab from Paddington to Fleet Street. Peterborough Court is the iconic building in Fleet Street that use to house The Daily Telepgraph ..... I use to live a mile or so away in Barbican.

https://www.heathrowexpress.com/?tid=WEXT12181&CMP=PSB013&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand&utm_term=express%20heathrow&gclid=Cj0KCQjwub7NBRDJARIsAP7wlT_ncuX5MU99tQN_-OEKWf64XVAerJNAw4s0H__jBzKtSzrPBzztcXsaAlKBEALw_wcB

HE has a Saturday offer on at the moment of £15:00. This price is available at the station as well as for pre-booked tickets. You may find cheaper tickets available via their website if you are prepared to book well in advance – they can get as low as £5.50 each way at weekends when booked three months in advance. Still could be better for him to book in advance ....

Heathrow Express to London Paddington (using current time ...)

Heathrow Express to London Paddington

Journey time: 16 min

Step 2

Depart Paddington Station for the Tube at 09:49 OR TAXI should be around £25'ish depending on route and how busy roads are

Get off at Paddington

Journey time: 8 min

Step 3

Depart Paddington Underground Station at 09:58via Bakerloo line to Oxford Circus

Bakerloo line to Oxford Circus

Journey time: 8 min

View stops

Step 4

Depart Oxford Circus at 10:10via Central line to Chancery Lane

Central line to Chancery Lane

Journey time: 4 min

View stops

Step 5

Depart Chancery Lane Station at 10:14

Walk to Fleet Street

Journey time: 14 min

Hope this helps and he has a great trip.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Spinnaker and Lois - Hope you fare well in the storm. I'm headed down to Alligator Point on Thursday to secure the house and remove a few "treasured" items. If we get a direct hit, the Point will no longer exist!

Our thoughts go out to those whose lives are at risk in the islands.

Good luck .....

......... and for a good hotel near Peterborough Court?

Thanks,

Karen

Sorry Karen ... should have answered. I don't want to give advice re hotels we haven't stayed in recently and as we now only stay at the IC on Park Lane which is perfectly adequate. People only advise on what they have experienced soisn't really a good way of comparing so I suggest a decent starting point is TA.

There is however a newish and inexpensive Premier Inn just around the corner at Blackfriars. Or almost next door is:

https://www.apexhotels.co.uk/apex-temple-court-hotel?rt=google|cpc|APTC01-Apex-TempleCourt-Brand-13052-53516|apex%20temple%20court%20hotel&gclid=Cj0KCQjwub7NBRDJARIsAP7wlT8HX0jVfpY-ggTc4DE811ievZRtva0Ea-w8cMtTVoCryTuKJqkXg94aApkjEALw_wcB

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186338-d2539103-Reviews-Apex_Temple_Court_Hotel-London_England.html