Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Perfect post J! The words and the awesome food pics! :) Hope your back and knees recover quickly!

I am taking medication for the knees and back. It is called Armagnback.

I didn't mention that Soapy has threatened to drink ther hotel dry of Champagne.

When she has a drink or two, I know she won't mind me telling you she has a couple of party trick ways of taking the corks out of champagne bottles. The best is where she takes the wire off and sticks the bottle under her armpit, a quick twist and whoooooosh! I think she is also famous for using her teeth or use to be. Perhaps she'll post some piccies. :D

Ha Ha Ha! Glad to hear that you are following the prescribed treatment for joint pain J! Interesting that you would pick a time to reveal Miss S's secret parlour tricks when she is not immediately available to counter! :) She does have many hidden talents!

Ha Ha Ha! Glad to hear that you are following the prescribed treatment for joint pain J! Interesting that you would pick a time to reveal Miss S's secret parlour tricks when she is not immediately available to counter! :) She does have many hidden talents!

I can get away with anything when she goes out and can't defend herself! ;)

mdpa,

loving your piccies! Don't want to hijack your thread with my own piccies, but thought I'd share a few of my favourite Oia pics.

One was of this chap eating his breakfast whilst sitting on his chimney; another of Oia if you get there nice and early and before the crowds; the third was on a subsequent visit when we stayed on Whisper and seemed to have it all to ourselves .... so wifey out at the back ..

db56258abda738ec33349d91776fbdd8.jpg

f754ecc48c923ba66aa3183b425acb59.jpg

5d4ab54568afe09d453331f6938174ca.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jeff

Is that Indian food on your plate in that old photo?

Looks like some chicken curry or ?

rice?

Beer?

Food is so much less confrontational.

I do hope that all support that we can muster be given to the survivors of Harvey.

I intentionally used the term survivor, which to me means not a victim. A victim is defined by the harm while a survivor conquers and reclaims his or her life, which is a position of power, adaptation and resilience.

Happy day all.

More painting, waterproofing and caulking today. If Irma comes here I want the house to be buttoned up tightly.

Only 19 days to go until we depart.

:-)

I actually started composing this a couple of days ago inPresident Trump’s defense. As those who have read some of my previous post willunderstand, I am a sincere Trump supporter.

I strongly believe that much, if not all, of the negativeimpressions people have about President Trump have been fomented by themainstream media. It is obvious and often promoted by them that they actually hate the man. They didn’tbelieve his candidacy. They couldn’t believe that he was nominated. And, theyalong with the left-wing liberals, cannot accept the fact that he won theelection. Not to mention that their preferred candidate lost. It does notmatter how much good he does or what he accomplishes, the main stream mediawill find nothing to praise and much to criticize in his actions.

I suspect the opinions of those who continuously belittle orberate our President are strongly influenced by the hatred expressed by themainstream media and the extreme left-wing liberals. As Shots said, PresidentTrump will never be able to please these factions no matter how much good hedoes. If that is the only place you receive your information, I understand howyour views would be so negative. Jeff, with this thought in mind, I find itinteresting that you feel the need to point out that the President’s personaldonation “is a modest 0.01% of his total net worth”. In the interest of “completeness”did you consider that this is a single contribution and in no way reflects whathis contributions (including his total salary) to charity may be?

I agree with mdpa that “freedom of press is independent free thought likeviews expressed via this forum”. I believe most of the people posting in thisforum agree with this as well. It is therefore also interesting that no onepicked up on Shot’s comment regarding “AntiFa beating people in the streets of California”with the expressed intent of suppressing the free speech of those with whomthey disagree. I suspect this may relate to the negative reaction to PresidentTrump’s comment there should be blame placed on both sides of the statuecontroversy.

I’ll also add that too many people are influenced by fringe media. Trump won the election because the American people voted for him...it is the same reason that Fox News is the leading news station in the US. We lacked Fair and Balanced alternatives.

Fortunately, Silversea also understands mainstream by making Fox News their first non SS channel. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually Trump won because of the anomalies of the Electoral College. He lost the popular vote.

There has never been a president with lower approval ratings at this stage of his presidency in history. That should tell you something about how he is perceived.

Actually, you are making my point. It is not unusual for the election to be won through the electoral college. Also, were it not for the extreme left wing factions in California, he would have won the popular vote.

And his approval rating is highly influenced by the main stream media.

All I can say is that we (as a nation) seem to be unable to disagree on, or even debate, the serious issues which affect us without personalizing them, and demonizing those who disagree. I know people from both sides of the political spectrum who are lovely individuals and I'm happy to know them. People on the left and people on the right can both be good-hearted, caring people if you look beyond the labels.

We seem to let single issues define how we perceive others when the reality is so much more complex. Unfortunately it's easier to listen to those who reinforce your beliefs, and just consider the other viewpoint to be evil. It's the relationship equivalent of the 15 second soundbite, and it's not terribly accurate.

We should be free to discuss, debate, and defend our viewpoints here, or anywhere else for that matter. But it's not the reality. I made the "mistake" a few years back of challenging someone's comment that all would be solved, if we'd just tax the rich more.

I asked him to back that up with real life examples and pointed out that Europe has higher marginal tax rates, yet their economies are not exactly flush with extra cash. I also pointed out that the middle class there pays a hefty tax burden too, so higher taxes on the rich alone do not suffice to generate enough revenue.

The response? He refused to answer, unfriended both me and Chris (who hadn't said a word) on Facebook, and still won't speak to us when we see him in public, now more than 5 years later. This is what public discourse has come to...and we are surprised that Congress can't agree on anything of substance?

Coolers, let's set an example and stay cool. We clearly don't all see eye to eye politically, but we can all enjoy talking to each other. And we can learn from each other too. Time for lunch.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Hi Ernie,

I speak on no one elses behalf except my own and will respond to those parts of your post that I believe I understand as all of it isn't clear to me.

Firstly, I have never as far as I can recall ever expressed hatred for Trump. So, that comment I guess isn't directed at me and I feel is hyperbolic. Secondly I have virtually no exposure to American press, so do not feel in any way influenced by what it says in the press about him. To be honest, I do not read articles about him. My impressions and the opinions formed from those impressions are I feel much wider. I cannot say with complete honesty that coverage by the media generally has not had any influence on me, I guess it must have done to a minor extent, but I equally feel it perfectly honest to say I do not believe it has significantly affected my view of him. Does not being exposed to the American media make me in your terms lessor opr better informed? Following your logic, perhaps the latter?

With respect to the contribution, I have said in #3694 that "it is good that he has made this cash contribution". I then went onto to correctly position that contribution against his overall worth as claimed by him. I made no comment as to whether this was all he has or will contribute because it is equally wrong for you or I to imply either way. Presumably if he planned to "pledge" more in the future he would be the first to tell us. It is also important to note that this I think he has been quoted as being a "pledge" rather than a "contribution" and each of us might draw a distinction between a Trump "contribution" and a "pledge" ie what is stopping him from whipping out a cheque book and handing it over immediately. How you feel about this I guess depends on how cynical or supportive you are and how you view previous promises he has made both since becoming President and before as a business man.

Much of my opinions of him were formed by what I saw of him before he became President. I followed the story (admittedly via our news, press and TV programmes) of aScottish community in Scotland that Trump tried to bully and pressurise out of the homes they have lived in all their lives and for many generations before. Anyone seeing how they were treated would not have felt it fair or decent, and Trump having had many opportunities to put his case to the British public refused or could not do so.

I have also seen several documentaries about bribery and corruption with respect to his building of golf courses and hotels around Europe and wider. Some of it has resulted in the trials and imprisonment of public servants. Others have become extrmeley rich when their political roles would not adequately explain such riches. Many business people manage to conduct their affairs in such a way that doesn't carry as much constant collateral reputational damage as Trump.

Since becoming President he has seemed to be impatient and intolerant of the free press. You will say that the press is unfair. All press is unfair. It comes with the territory. I think his approach generally to the press is unacceptable and shows considerable weakness. It also seems that his relationship sometimes with "facts" seems to be tenuous. He has it seems fired any arounf him who have a contrary view to his own. That is the opposite of what a wise leader will do in such an important role.

He has for example, also imho made the world considerably unsafer by failing to keep his powder dry with respect to North Korea. Wise quiet counsel has been replaced by confrontational childish tweets. His vitriol and constant baiting of a totally unpredicatable and irrational despot has no real advantage to it other than to shore up what he sees as being a clear and brave leader amongst those who already support him. It is a high price for an extremely low - if at all - benefit.

On the plus side I would say in the longer term all of us will wrestle with whether our current versions of democracy still produce the leaders we need to lead us. It doesn't answer the question "what else" or how else" but the deep soul searching as to whether this highly flawed process by which the deepest pockets wins is acceptable for the future I think will be one of his greatest achievements. I suspect many will say "never again" in spite of the number of supporters he has.

Following on from JP's points, I hope you will notice that I have laid out my views without in any way denigrating yours and anyone who supports Trump. I don't think I have ever done so. But I have noticed that his supporters seem more prone to personal attacks on those who don't support him. In a general sense when people express a view, but do not state why they have the view, but simply attack those that do not share the view, it might be a valid view but it is also a view that they have failed to validate ie justify and explain and lay themselves open to question and debate. It is really easy to attack others and say "my opinion is this" with nothing more substantial to back it up. Unvalidated views are of no real use to any adult debate. You cannot understand and take account of another person point of view if they fail to explain it.

Jeff, wonderful pictures of Santorini [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

I couldn't believe it when I saw that guy climb onto his chimney. I knew it was (for me ) a picture of a lifetime.

I did tell you to get to Oia before the crowds for a reason ....... ;)

Yum, Jeff! When things get a bit testy, what better way to settle things down than with good food?

Cheers, Penny

Penny,

Perhaps counter intuitively, when times get bad, it is the trivial things in life that become important and give us a sense of balance.

And those fries were extremely good.

Also, were it not for the extreme left wing factions in California, he would have won the popular vote.

So he would have won the popular vote if more people had voted for him rather than someone else? Surely not!

And his approval rating is highly influenced by the main stream media.

And not at all, presumably, influenced by his child-man tweets, incoherent rambling when off-script and inability to maintain any sort of continuity in the administration?

>>and his approval rating is highly influenced by the main stream media.<<

And not at all, presumably, influenced by his child-man tweets, incoherent rambling when off-script and inability to maintain any sort of continuity in the administration?

TTS,

There is another issue raised by the comment, that because my previous post was so long I decided to avoid ..... but as you touch on it. :)

If there is ever a factor that we sometimes fail to confront and indicates a substantial sign of weakness of argument on one side it is when that side of an argument says that their opponents are swayed and misidrected by the media.

This argument implies that those that agree are cleverer, wiser, better informed, more balanced, and more discriminating. It is only those that agree that can determine between what is truth and what is deception and arrive at the right conclusion. Whereas those that disagree are presumably dumber, and are misinformed. The first group's view is correct and the second group is wrong and not simply "different".

When one side of an argument patronises the other in this particular way it seems to me to indicate that they have no more substantial or cogent argument to fall back on.

Just saying .....:)

When we saw the Viking suite we thought she was on The World ie Residensea .... it looked just like the two bedroom appartment ..... extremely Lucky lady.

Speaking of The World, it was in Vancouver yesterday, on the same pier with the Silver Shadow and the Regatta. All three ships are about the same size. All have about 300 crew. Regatta carries 800 passengers; the Shadow, about 350, and The World 200. Wow.

Speaking of The World, it was in Vancouver yesterday, on the same pier with the Silver Shadow and the Regatta. All three ships are about the same size. All have about 300 crew. Regatta carries 800 passengers; the Shadow, about 350, and The World 200. Wow.

Rick,

Have you been on board?

Some years ago we got very close to closing arrangements for four families to share a two bedroom appartment on The World. It seemed such a smart idea. None of us needed or could justify a full ownership but three months each was a great idea. It's a shame it fell through.