Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Yes, both Jeff & JP, Plachutta is the place. Roberto loves Tafelpitz...I don't even like it...well, their schnitzel is above the fray. I squirt a lot of lemon...I know, I know, not supposed to.

Next time you visit, you must take tram D out to Nüssdorf and go to Zum Renner, one of our favourite places ...... Roberto and you will love it and the village. Also lovely in summer after a long walk from Grnzing.

http://www.zum-renner.at/

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=991&bih=928&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=89SlWba1CMjEwALEhJvgDQ&q=zum+renner+wien&oq=zum+renner+wien&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.3..41j0i30k1.10278.12599.0.13409.11.11.0.0.0.0.89.741.11.11.0....0...1.1.64.mobile-gws-img..0.11.740.zGpqr41m4pM

Roberto reminded me that we also went to a working class biesl that had a wonderful schnitzel, his favorite. I had forgotten, due to the lack of finesse and customer service. The trip advisor reviews attest to the grumpy owner and rude waiters, but also to the wonderful schnitzels. It is now closed. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g190454-d941719-Reviews-Zu_den_2_Lieserln-Vienna.html

This sadly is not unknown .....

We had a great friend in Vienna. His bar was the very first beisl we went to on our first visit forty years or so ago. It was snowing and the view out the window was magical. In those days Ronnies mum was still alive and it was her pride and joy. Until a few years back we would go to Vienna at least three times a year ... then it was two and now it's juat one. We always visited Ronnie, but when his mother died he sort of went to pieces. He lived in a flat above the bar and the staff would always call up and he'd come down and spend an evening or three with us.

His bar was in the center of The Bermuda Triangle and sadly he hated tourists and was rude to them. He also didn't like serving people beer without them eating and the kitchen was dire. The TA reviews were awful. I tried talking to him about how important the net was but he ignored the net. I posted TA reviews for him .... He hated Christmas and the punch stalls which he felt was bad for his bus9ness. And the place of course closed.

He was extremely popular in the Vienna gay community and helped organise gay pride which happens every year. And a lot of the comedians and music people made Ronnies their base. I haven't seen him for a while.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190454-d1103652-Reviews-Zum_Kuchldragoner-Vienna.html

Ronnie is in many of these pictures in better days ....

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Zum+Kuchldragoner&prmd=msivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi5hNuDvf3VAhUCKFAKHeaqA4EQ_AUIEigD&biw=991&bih=928#imgdii=zJV7Ank2IUfu5M:&imgrc=sTf7G5UO9KIqgM:

DS still ok.

On An island surrounded by water. He has been volunteering.

Reports horrific damage and incomprehensible.

I was in Nola right after that hurricane and witnessed the hell.

I also know Docs who lived thru the hurricane.

They were/are traumatized. Choices made by circumstances that no one ever contemplated.

Prayers for Houston.

Houston strong.

Hello Spins.

So glad he's still good. I've been wondering.

I was in NOLA the week before Katrina doing a presentation for the Louisiana Society of CPAs. Also have friends who were evacuated as the storm approached.

It all looks frightengly awful. 30,000 homeless in Houston and a curfew to prevent looting. :( It doesn't sound like we've reached the peak yet?

I really hope that Trump steps up to this and delivers. His business background should play to his strengths. Katrina not repeated. This is his opportunity to confound critics and expectations, and he knows it.

I guess we're not seeing the full story on British TV, because it is my impression that once again it is ordinary people stepping up but insufficient and slow government support. Is that impression inaccurate?

Yes.

Hard to witness.

Harder to actually experience.

He's dealing with that issue.

As we all see it happening it's just not something we can feel unless we are there

Even though we feel for the people and the loss

There will be commentary on this storm for years.

Unfathomable on how to reconstruct Houston.

But then there were these same discussions before in Houston which floods often.

Lessons learned?

Spins,

The good thing, is that he will know that this is his big opportunity. This is a critical pivotal moment for him and he knows it .... and I guess we all hope he really steps up to it.

In the UK we've not experienced anything like the scale of this, but we are use to seeing all our military moving in extremely quickly ie aging fire-engines pumping, helicopters saving, army sand-bagging, navy on boats rescuing etc etc and it is a bit of a suprise to see so few in our TV images of what's happening in the US. After Katrina, you sort of believed that well organised plans would be in place to esnure a different response.

I guess we are all talking because we all feel so useless and unable to do anything other than spectate and offer commiserations and solidarity which you can rest assured we offer in bucket loads.

Yes Jeff.

We all want good things to happen.

There is a response here from government but apparently it takes time to mobilize.

I guess. Not sure why but apparently bureaucracy foils emergency response.

Meanwhile local community people and those from neighboring states have mobilized and appeared.

Amazing to see.

DT is just glitter.

No substance.

And in earlier posts if I wasn't specific I was speaking to son and his growth from this experience.

Some of the stories are heartbreaking.......:(.......A mom saved her baby but died during that process.......:(

As for DT.......Spins........you are so right............just glitter:mad:.......Didn't even think to say "HOUSTON, THE COUNTRY STANDS WITH YOU".........would that have been so difficult?:eek:.....has he ever heard of EMPATHY?

Greetings Coolers!

Apparently it is the volunteers in Houston that are really saving the day!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/harvey-houston-rescue-cajun-navy-1.4268007

Compared to:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/trump-hurricane-harvey_us_59a5bdefe4b00795c2a22e0c

Continued thoughts for all those affected by Harvey!

Spins, The good thing, is that he will know that this is his big opportunity. This is a critical pivotal moment for him and he knows it .... and I guess we all hope he really steps up to it.

Glad that things are going reasonable well under bad circumstances for Spins' DS. Below is the Houston upcoming weather forecast from AccuWeather. Good news? The rain is stopping today. BUT, it will take some time for all of the flooded highways and other locations to drain and dry. Then to return to "normal"??

Jeff makes a good potential point above. Time will tell. From talking with several key people with Texas experience yesterday, there is an interesting contrast between New Orleans at the time of Katrina versus Texas now. The current Governor of Texas is rated as much more competent and capable than either Rick Perry, their previous Governor, or the Governor of Louisiana at the time of Katrina. The New Orleans Mayor at the time of Katrina, sadly, was both corrupt and limited in his ability. Houston has a Mayor with much better experiences and skills, in my opinion. YES,we love New Orleans' charm, food, history and fun. BUT, I have much more confidence in the resources, abilities, savvy and skills for those in Houston and Texas to manage and recovered compared to what happened with Katrina. Houston needs that "edge" as their challenges are big and serious right now.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Here is the current upcoming forecast from AccuWeather for Houston. Getting hotter, but the rains stopping!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

July%202017A%201614_zpstk63hfnr.jpg

Glad that things are going reasonable well under bad circumstances for Spins' DS. Below is the Houston upcoming weather forecast from AccuWeather. Good news? The rain is stopping today. BUT, it will take some time for all of the flooded highways and other locations to drain and dry. Then to return to "normal"??

Jeff makes a good potential point above. Time will tell. From talking with several key people with Texas experience yesterday, there is an interesting contrast between New Orleans at the time of Katrina versus Texas now. The current Governor of Texas is rated as much more competent and capable than either Rick Perry, their previous Governor, or the Governor of Louisiana at the time of Katrina. The New Orleans Mayor at the time of Katrina, sadly, was both corrupt and limited in his ability. Houston has a Mayor with much better experiences and skills, in my opinion. YES,we love New Orleans' charm, food, history and fun. BUT, I have much more confidence in the resources, abilities, savvy and skills for those in Houston and Texas to manage and recovered compared to what happened with Katrina. Houston needs that "edge" as their challenges are big and serious right now.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Here is the current upcoming forecast from AccuWeather for Houston. Getting hotter, but the rains stopping!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

July%202017A%201614_zpstk63hfnr.jpg

I agree with you Terry, Katrina was negatively impacted by lack of local management abilities. I am also more confident with Texas in this regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Afternoon Coolers, a lovely sunny day here in The Homeland!

Many Americans .... and indeed some Brits ..... will be surprised to hear that Diana isn't loved and revered by everyone in the UK, and her and all the people who believed that they were her besty extra special friend have been all over our TVs for the last week, and I must admit I am now looking forward to the commercial breaks more that ever before. Those who feel as I, have never felt being able to safely express adverse comments, feelings and views about Diana, because people are pretty emotive on the topic of her. Still, this is The Cooler ... :)

Just finished stacking our much enjoyed kiln dried wood around the house and I must say all joints, knees, back are all suffering. And I broke a filling!

896fb7910cac5f3690a390a33053d467.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's a lot of wood!

I've also never understood why the press seems to like Princess Diana so much...don't personally have anything really against her, just feel that her contributions have been greatly exaggerated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stacking wood - our least favourite job of the year. We get 10 m3 of wood delivered each June which needs to be moved about 100 metres from the drive where it's tipped to the shed near the back door. OH chucks it in the barrows and I stack it. Takes all day and often part of a second day. Kind of satisfying when it's done, though. Ours is all naturally dried, 3-year-old chopped oak with maybe 25% ash (which I like as it's easier to split for kindling).

We used to cut, chop and split our own in France but the prospect of such labour is now terrifying! I cheated and bought a mechanical splitter, but even so. Quite liked the chainsawing bit, mind. Something very roughty-toughty about swinging a chainsaw about!

I've also never understood why the press seems to like Princess Diana so much...don't personally have anything really against her, just feel that her contributions have been greatly exaggerated.

The Princess with the big feet and publicity-need died the same week as Mother Teresa (now St Teresa) of Calcutta. Diana gets all the press. Funny old world.

Great to see not everyone suffers from blind Diana love.

FWIW I find it ironic that no one mentions the (at least) eight affairs with various men she had, the accusation that the Royal family would murder her, the campaign to try and destroy the Monarchy and the terrible stuff she said about Charles.

Charle's sin was that he followed the Queen's instruction, as was his obligation, not to marry who he wished but someone "suitable" and made a bad choice. From the Royal families point of view they knew she was leaking bile like a sieve, was totally uncontrollable, and they as usual followed the Queen's policy of "Never explain, never complain". She had a talent for publicity, which she controlled and milked and a talent for making every person feel that they were special to her. She found a soft spot and milked it. I must admit as I understand it Mother Theresa perhaps also had her faults. As I understand it he ministry was baptising all and a criticism off her was that she was seeing everyone who came to her as dieing and offered poor care that might make people well. I feel as uneasy about her as I do Diana. But I do NOT know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Mother_Teresa

The idea of stacking 10m3 of wood fills me with dread. However having switrched over from barn dried to kiln dried it really has made a lot of difference. We love it.

kilndriedbarn-1200x638.jpg