Shore excursion Southern Carribean 16 April 2017

potchon

Hi, just some advice please on any tips for shore excursions for st Maarten, st Kitts, st Thomas, barbodas and St Lucia from Carnaval fanastion. We would like to see the Islands, a bit of shopping and a bit of beach time. Do we need to do excursions or can we do the islands on our own . Thank you .

You will get a lot more info from the port of calls board. I prefer not to do shop excursions. Most things to do can be arranged privately with better and cheaper tours than offered by cruise line. For shopping and beaches though u can likely diy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

st Maarten, We would like to see the Islands, a bit of shopping and a bit of beach time. Do we need to do excursions or can we do the islands on our own . Thank you .

St Maarten is a good one to do on your own, plenty of taxi's available. We get right off the ship and get a taxi to Orient, our favorite beach, catching a cab back to downtown is not hard allowing 25-30 minutes. We also leave time to walk the half mile to the ship from downtown, not paying $6 each, or whatever it currently is for the water taxi that takes you a couple hundred yards in a straight line.

Thank you all for your replies, it is much appreciated. I will do more googling and look up the recommendations for shore excursions. Vanilla rum has to be a must try. I hope you all have a great 2017

Regards

Geoff

(Potchon)

St Maarten is a good one to do on your own, plenty of taxi's available. We get right off the ship and get a taxi to Orient, our favorite beach, catching a cab back to downtown is not hard allowing 25-30 minutes. We also leave time to walk the half mile to the ship from downtown, not paying $6 each, or whatever it currently is for the water taxi that takes you a couple hundred yards in a straight line.

Thank you

Thank you for you reply:)

You will get a lot more info from the port of calls board. I prefer not to do shop excursions. Most things to do can be arranged privately with better and cheaper tours than offered by cruise line. For shopping and beaches though u can likely diy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you

st Maarten - We walked to nice town, town is on a beach, has a waterfront promenade and shopping on the street behind it.

st Kitts - real town is behind the modern port shopping complex, one of the towns that has survived fire and earthquakes and still looks original. Beaches are far away. We used this operator to cross the island, loved it: http://www.gregsafaris.com/

st Thomas - people take taxis to one of the beaches. Lots of shopping everywhere.

Barbados - you can walk into a nice town, extensive shopping also right at pier. They funnel you through it. We took a ship's excursion because I wanted to see the other side of the island.

St Lucia - taxis are waiting at port terminal; you can walk into town via local/tourist market, safe but slightly seedy town, interesting church. Beaches are somewhere else.