Please help decide between Adventure or Jewel of the Seas

dng6325

Hello,

We're a family of 4 (DS14 and DS10). Which ship would you pick for a Southern Carribean itinerary (same ports except Jewel is going to St. Thomas vs Adventure is going to St Marteen)?

Prices are very similar for a balcony, but on the Jewel, we can get one of the balconies on the hump with a larger balcony. My kids don't really do kids club, and we rarely go to shows. The main things we are looking for on a cruise are interesting ports, good food, and clean and fresh-looking rooms. I read that AOS staterooms were not renovated during dry-dock so I'm a bit worried about that. We're looking to book for December 2017, so any chance rooms will be updated by then? Were all staterooms on Jewel renovated during dry-dock? That might be a deciding factor for us.

Thank you for any input!

I have done Jewel twice before and I have done two other Voyager class ships. As a mid 50's empty nest couple we would, and if you look at my signature below, have picked both based on itinerary and price for the next two years. This truly is a no lose situation.

This truly is a no lose situation.

Exactly:) We've done both ships from SJU. Including Adventure last March and Jewel again next month. The kids might like the Royal Promenade on Adventure, it provides more "public area" to hang out, including the café where they'll be getting pizza etc. St Thomas/St Martin are both great ports.

Personally we don't worry about when a ship was renovated, it doesn't factor into decision making. Rooms on certain ships might show a little wear on the furniture or carpet if it's been a while, but RCCL takes good care of things and all the ships we've been on have been clean and well maintained.

Edited by bouhunter

We've sailed both. We're booked to do the southern route on Jewel next winter, but I'd pick adventure if I was with my kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With the recent changes like adding the water slides, this maybe more true now for kids.

We saw an incredible deal for Adventure (7 day JS for under $900 each and it included the ABC ports which we haven't been to for 2017. That price since more than doubled. Got a similar price in 2018 for 3 new ports for us on Jewel, but not a JS for that one, for now.

I sailed AOS last March with my teenagers and they enjoyed the Royal Promenade. They would have loved the Flowrider but alas, it was not there when we sailed.

I have booked Jewel for just DH and myself and even was a little concerned about the smaller size of the ship so I would have to recommend AOS. I want the different ports that Jewel is offering but would not have booked it with my teens.

Been on both, if it was just my wife and I we would do Jewel as we were very disappointed by the AOTS at Thanksgiving.

Taking into account that the slides, etc. are all working now the extra amenities on AOTS probably outweigh the condition of the cabins (functional but very worn) since you will have the kids.