Cheapo dad's trip report on Freedom of the Seas

harryfat1

We went to Paradise Beach last year and loved it!! But they did charge an additional $15 to use the water toys. They gave a bracelet and there was a staff member checking out at the toys. But still totally worth it! My husband and sons got the bracelets. I was happy to just sit in a lounge chair and read! Great for $3 and then we had assigned staff who brought me cold beer! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are planning on that but I read a few things that made me worry. People complaining water was dirtier, sand was fake, lots of seaweed and gunk and the floaties were in bad shape. Your thoughts?

harryfat1....

You mentioned in a previous post...

"With the switch to the revised MDR dinner menu, you can talk about that as well. I have found there are fewer and fewer people at MDR for dinner nowadays."

Not sure if I missed something earlier in the almost 1000 posts here, but did the MDR menus change recently on the Freedom or were you referring to compared to several years ago? I know we have had the exact same menus for the past almost 4 years on RCCL and are looking forward to a change. I saw that a couple ships had them changed (like Oasis) about 7 months ago, but had not heard of any changes yet on the Freedom.

We are planning on that but I read a few things that made me worry. People complaining water was dirtier, sand was fake, lots of seaweed and gunk and the floaties were in bad shape. Your thoughts?

We had no issues. We did Mr Sanchos a few years ago. I liked the facilities at PB better. Water clarity issues and seaweed can happen anywhere - thanks Mother Nature!

We really liked it. We felt well taken care of and we used the pool on the way out. Also really nice!

I don't have pictures though.

As far as roll calls go, "your mileage may vary". I've been a member of many roll calls through the years and some are very quiet (maybe breaking 100 posts by cruise time) to very interactive (like my Apr 2018 Celebrity Solstice cruise that currently has 1335 posts).

Naturally, you may or may not have people that are high on the anal scale in your roll call (all of my roll calls did have at least highly anal me on it though). I do find that if I contribute my findings regarding the details on port load, what I'm doing on port calls, ship trivia, etc., this gets the roll call moving a little. So embrace your anality (a word I just made up) and contribute to your role call. You and your cruise mates will get more out of it.

Great idea. I will "embrace my anality," and tell them, "Cuz Joe said so."

(Sorry to keep hijacking your thread, Harry!)

Thanks for your excellent review! I found it because we are going on Independence of the Seas next month and there aren't many IoS reviews with pictures. I thought the ships might be similar enough. Your pictures are great and your commentary is even better. I totally agree with you about the MDR photographers and pirates. Also, the quote about Holland America being for old people and their parents was hilarious. :)

The ships are almost identical, only some small decorative differences. Both are nice ships [emoji3]

Here's a photo from the day we were at Paradise Beach in September 2015. I guess every day is different, but the water looks pretty good to me!

11039162_10204426303608821_3266781713767601967_o.jpg?oh=088eb0e10e1877aa23ac23252d523005&oe=591DD9E3

Sorry to keep hi-jacking your thread, Harry.:o

Does Independence still spend a lot of the year in the UK? That's the only Freedom-class ship we've sailed on. Lots of different items in the gift shop (e.g., British brand candy and sundries) and hardly any RCI logo items! I wanted to get something for my grandsons and the only things I could find were pencils!! And no ornaments -- had to resort to my fall back -- key chain to hang on the tree.

Edited by joand452

If you looked at our boarding pictures from day 1 (seems like eons ago), if you get on the ship early, there is no crowd at WJ.

Mathematically speaking, think the WJ holds around 700 people? Don’t remember anymore but I once did a math calculation on the Allure trip report talking about the sizes of the WJ.

Using the Disney logic of fighting the crowd, regardless of how crowded any place may be, SOMEBODY has to be the among first 350 people in the 700 capacity place, why not you? Just get to port early, chill out in the wait area and board when they allow you. WJ won’t be crowed and by time it is, you will be done with your meal and can walk around the ship doing whatever.

Thanks for the advice! We are always early to the port and waiting for them to allow boarding so hopefully it won't be too bad for us!!

Thanks for the photos of Playa Chen Rio, DW and I have driven past this location, but did not check out the beach area, living here in N Myrtle Beach visiting other beaches is not high on our list of things to do, kinda like a mailman talking a walk on his day off.

Well, I think that beats walking your neighbor’s dog…

That begs the question - are most mailman cat owners instead?

We are 68 and went on this bar hop for the second time this past October. There were no problems - just people having fun. Minimum age is 18 so that works for your daughter too. It really was a good day - and no one was drunk.

This is the site to reserve http://cozumelbarhop.com/

Thanks Harry for letting us use your review to help others.

Yes, since Mexico has a lower drinking age and it’s not ship sponsored event, the 18 year old can attend.

No worries, like I said, this is a community bulletin board. Anyone can chime in. This may be my vacation story but the info is shared by all - it's as if I am hosting a pot luck dinner and everyone is invited to contribute. Doesn't always have to be my food.

Somebody reading this few weeks later might find the info useful but by then the thread will no longer be active and they will feel embarrassed to bring up a new question on a dormant thread. So ask away now while everyone is still here.

Because we left for this cruise at 4:00 am the next day after your excursion post we didn't get to read it and we missed our Grand Cayman excursion. We preordered and the evening before around 10:00 pm I mentioned to husband that everyone else seemed to have already received their tickets. We had to go to the desk for them. He didn't bother to read them because the online excursion site mentioned it started at 10:00 am. In actuality we were to have meet up at 7:45 am on the boat. By the time we got to the Port and started looking for our guide and couldn't find one (way it was done the last 2011 we booked an cruise line's excursion) it was around 9:00 the bus had left already. So warning to those who haven't cruised Royal or not in a while that the tickets should be delivered to your stateroom around dinner time the night of AND the excursion lists on their website are obviously out-of-date.

Wow, I’m very sorry to hear that. It really sucks to get that far to be at the edge of the pier and miss out on the tour you signed up for. I assume RCI refunded your money?

Yeah, good point to mention that you get a physical ticket in your cabin prior to the cruise. We booked our Mayan tour online months prior to the cruise when it had a whopping $5 off per person. When we arrived in our cabins on day 1 at 1:30, the tickets were waiting for us on the beds. Being anal, we put them in the room safe for storage.

What tour meets at 7:30? I took a glance at the GC tours – just scanned it for the folks that might be on it – and I didn’t see anything which starts that early.

I know from the Miami HoHo tour we were originally going to book while on the ship. The “corporate time” for online ordering said it was to start at 8:30 but “ship time” has you meet at the theater at 7:30. Maybe they add in 1 hour to get off the ship/get luggage/customs. So when you see the various start times online for the tours, when you get to the ship, the ship time could be different. Double check your tour tickets.

31649999954_cb9d6ed4b2_b.jpg

32452842876_0f9d49d2a2_b.jpg

31681922533_1650f16dbd_b.jpg

32371776931_f1c61c9c1f_b.jpg

As far as roll calls go, "your mileage may vary". I've been a member of many roll calls through the years and some are very quiet (maybe breaking 100 posts by cruise time) to very interactive (like my Apr 2018 Celebrity Solstice cruise that currently has 1335 posts).

Naturally, you may or may not have people that are high on the anal scale in your roll call (all of my roll calls did have at least highly anal me on it though). I do find that if I contribute my findings regarding the details on port load, what I'm doing on port calls, ship trivia, etc., this gets the roll call moving a little. So embrace your anality (a word I just made up) and contribute to your role call. You and your cruise mates will get more out of it.

Very good points.

Obviously you wouldn’t want to just 100% rely on others to be on the lookout for you. Being the anal Disney people, we know we need to be checking early and frequent (just like how they vote n Chicago, right?) for info but just in case something pops up in between your check, your fellow cruisers might alert you to it.

Now here’s one trick for the REALLY ANAL people (we don’t have too many people reading this thread that fits that description, right?). What you can also do is “sneak in” on other roll calls to see if they already have access to their entertainment schedule.

For example, since your cruise is September. Maybe you can just observe in the shadows on what August roll calls are saying periodically. With the theory things are opened in sequential order such that if the July/August people are starting to see their entertainment venues opening up online, then you know your September cruise won’t be that fa behind.

Not that I would know anyone who would be anal enough to do such a thing, but just saying in theory it could be done…

You are far too kind Harry! :)

Yes, I'm sure I will end up doing another one. Maybe between now and then I will come up with a clever angle to approach it with. We shall see, but you are right - the reason we are doing the extra 3 hours in the car each way (Port Everglades on Freedom vs. Port Canaveral on Oasis) is because of the extra 8th day and the two "new" ports (St. Kitts & Puerto Rico)...

I’m sure you will do the Oasis somewhere down the road just because the proximity and the ship will be new to you guys and you can attend different shows than the Allure. Oasis is going to San Juan also.

harryfat1....

You mentioned in a previous post...

"With the switch to the revised MDR dinner menu, you can talk about that as well. I have found there are fewer and fewer people at MDR for dinner nowadays."

Not sure if I missed something earlier in the almost 1000 posts here, but did the MDR menus change recently on the Freedom or were you referring to compared to several years ago? I know we have had the exact same menus for the past almost 4 years on RCCL and are looking forward to a change. I saw that a couple ships had them changed (like Oasis) about 7 months ago, but had not heard of any changes yet on the Freedom.

I was referring to the changes in menu items on our cruise. The menu title remains the same like Jasmin and so on but some of the items within the menu are not the same as when we last cruised with Royal 2 years ago. I have not been keeping up with the Oasis class ship news since my Allure cruise so I can’t comment on what they switched out over there.

I can only say that for our cruise, I noted they switched off some of the items like no more duck or lamb chops or prime ribs on the menu. Although my legal team (of one) wants to release the disclaimer that we only ate at the MDR for 5 of the 6 nights. So in theory they could have had all these items on the one night we missed. Obviously if people are not big meat eaters or cares about these items, then it’s not a big issue.

I first learned about this thanks to ckrobyn’s live reporting few months back. I didn’t take any pictures of the Freedom’s menu other than day 6 but she did. Since she doesn’t ramble on and on like I do, it’ll be easier to read her review on the menu items changes.

Haha, you know I also used the similar “anality” word earlier in my thread on post 44, but I used a slightly different spelling.

Now here is the test for the anal people.

First, if you remembered I actually used the word, you get 1 anal point. Two, if you have a real strong urge to want to go back to post 44 and compare the spelling, you get 2 points. Three, if you think both of our spelling are incorrect and want to come up with a better anal word…

Must be strong and fight that urge and NOT look back at post 44…

Harry, you keep mentioning that you like them big and round. You definitely would not care for the Celebrity Millennium class ships.

#legoblocks

ry%3D480

Haha, yes, that is one very square butt.

However, if you look at my signature, you will see that we sailed on the Celebrity Infinity to Alaska few years back so I actually have been on the square butt personally.

And you KNOW, you must know what is coming, right? Yes, the dreaded digression talks since you dragged me down memory lane. I know, I know, you are sorry now to have brought this up and wished you hadn’t…The lynch mob will wait for you in the dark alley in the back – especially the folks that are cruising soon.

Since the last post was about food and Celebrity cruise is high on the food list, let’s dig up some “good old days of cruising” pics. For you all newbies, this is NOT what you will see on RCI. I’m not even sure you will see that on Celebrity nowadays with everyone having cutbacks, but I’m sure people will chime in soon enough on what has been cut back.

Not the best quality pics as this was back in 2009 with some point and shoot pics but you get the idea. Everything I am about to show is inclusive. Cheapo dad not doing any upgrades.

Free Champagne from the crew as soon as you step on the outside of the Promenade deck right after being “ding”. Don’t expect this on the Freedom

32116529530_4177cc189b_b.jpg

Various breakfast options available at the buffet. Again, don’t expect this from RCI. Steak poached eggs for breakfast at the WJ? Ha. Don’t laugh too loud.

31683470763_bb715b5365_b.jpg

This is the great almond croissant talked about often on CC back then. You go to some bar place and ask them to bake it hot for you and you eat it right there. Great stuff.

31683464853_210ba4b9d3_b.jpg

No, folks, these are not chicken wings. Frog legs. Good stuff

32343248852_07bf5f02f1_b.jpg

WJ breakfast – with bacon (that you do get on RCI but no berries)

32343243682_650bfff20e_b.jpg

Edited by harryfat1

Special buffet brunch for no extra charge at the MDR on glacier day on the Alaska cruise

Check out the spread. Looking at this picture – when was last time they had ice carving figure on the cruise? Seems like such long time ago. I know Carnival has (maybe needs to be past tense) ice carving at the pool side.

32494993405_10c8757b17_b.jpg

31683452203_3daab57f38_b.jpg

Omelet station. Pick anything you want from here for your omelet – RCI has something similar but I don’t think as much topping. I didn’t get any omelets on Freedom but my wife and my son did.

31683445203_c0fe5b4a4b_b.jpg

Salmon – have you seen so much salmon before? You don’t even have to ask some dude behind the counter for the salmon. All you can eat and the dude standing there just keep slicing them as if there’s no tomorrow. Look how much on the plate but he kept slicing a new fish after fish

31683440343_2dc7444e57_b.jpg

Here’s actual sushi (as in raw fish, not the crappy California roll stuff) and crab legs. Again, all part of the special brunch that’s inclusive on Glacier day.

31683435973_05112dbbc6_b.jpg

Back to dinner food at MDR

Pate

31651634634_5ed0df89f1_b.jpg

Oyster Rockefeller – Note they used to have their logo plates – not sure if they do anymore. And the waiter always try to turn the plate so that the X faces you

32454305536_0b569bc27b_b.jpg

Back then the head waiter actually did something useful – making desserts for his section in the MDR on front of everyone – instead of just walking around making useless small talk

31651626934_0f42ab5d3f_b.jpg

More free real sushi at the buffet at dinner time

32454298456_796d8596a0_b.jpg

Since the last post was about food and Celebrity cruise is high on the food list, let’s dig up some “good old days of cruising” pics. For you all newbies, this is NOT what you will see on RCI. I’m not even sure you will see that on Celebrity nowadays with everyone having cutbacks, but I’m sure people will chime in soon enough on what has been cut back.

Not the best quality pics as this was back in 2009 with some point and shoot pics but you get the idea. Everything I am about to show is inclusive. Cheapo dad not doing any upgrades.

Free Champagne from the crew as soon as you step on the outside of the Promenade deck right after being “ding”. Don’t expect this on the Freedom

Harry,

They do still have the glass of champagne to greet you as you board on Celebrity. We are just off one last weekend.

I must say that the food has also gone downhill there too.

Great pics. Reminds me of the good old days.

... I would appreciate any suggestions from those that have done some fun stuff but not too pricey at these ports.

We are going to

1) San Juan – which I think we will just do the self guided walking tour to see the old town and the fort. There should be enough photo ops to keep our cameras busy. First time visit....

Keep in mind the name of this report – don’t give me exotic excursions that costs $120/pp…

I know you are cheapo but you should try a Segway tour in San Juan. It's only two hours but it was very fun. You go up to the forts and make a few stops along the way, then have some time at the fort. Your kids would love it. I'm inconsistently/sorta cheapo and I do not regret spending the money.

Someone mentioned the America's Cup Regatta in St. Martin- I have not done this, but over the years I have seen a lot of people rate it very highly.

The $35 magic kit: we were on one RC cruise several years ago and my son wanted the magic kit so badly (they must promote them on every cruise). We went to some demonstration and he actually won one of them, so I didn't have to buy it ;)

Edited by marci22

Now here’s one trick for the REALLY ANAL people (we don’t have too many people reading this thread that fits that description, right?). What you can also do is “sneak in” on other roll calls to see if they already have access to their entertainment schedule.

For example, since your cruise is September. Maybe you can just observe in the shadows on what August roll calls are saying periodically. With the theory things are opened in sequential order such that if the July/August people are starting to see their entertainment venues opening up online, then you know your September cruise won’t be that fa behind.

Not that I would know anyone who would be anal enough to do such a thing, but just saying in theory it could be done…

Ummm...I already started reading other Allure roll calls. :o

Harry,

They do still have the glass of champagne to greet you as you board on Celebrity. We are just off one last weekend.

I must say that the food has also gone downhill there too.

Great pics. Reminds me of the good old days.

You’re welcome.

Yeah, the pictures are mostly for the veteran cruisers that still remember the old days of cruising. I had almost forgotten how nice some of the venue items used to be. Nowadays we cheer for small victory such as having a tray of salmon for breakfast and the old days, there was a ton of it for the taking.

Sad to hear but not surprised the food on Celebrity has gone downhill as well from the old days.