Few Newbie questions

Stephandboys

First cruise - waited a long time. I know we are taking the "bottom rung" ship for our first one, but it's a good starter. (Carnival Fantasy) Going with a group, so it will be fun. From what I'm reading, we will have no where to go but up from here, as far as cruise lines are concerned, it looks like! (like Carnival Breeze and Dream and Magic...?) But we'll certainly have fun on this maiden voyage regardless.

Anyway - one reason we have waited so long is to get our boys through college (two graduating debt free in a matter of months now) and a very active business. Being business owners, there are no "down days". We just take our business with us via our laptops.

First question - I've read that internet is an extra fee. Anyone know how much that fee is and are there restricted times we can access the internet?

Second question - I've heard differing opinions on the dress code. We are doing the Cozumel/Progreso cruise, so I know it'll be summer casual dress 99% of the time. But what about the one nice-dinner dress night? Suit for him/dress for me, or is it even more casual than that?

Third question - it's pretty obvious we are not youngsters anymore - we like nice relaxing, little romantic venues. We also ballroom dance. I'm thinking Fantasy may not be our top pick for those types of things. Anyone have recommendations for future cruises that cater more to us "older" folks who don't want to do the ropes course or the water park? We are still very active, though - hikes, dancing, runners, etc, etc.

Thanks for any tips!

Bon Voyage and all those fun words!!

First cruise - waited a long time. I know we are taking the "bottom rung" ship for our first one, but it's a good starter. (Carnival Fantasy) Going with a group, so it will be fun. From what I'm reading, we will have no where to go but up from here, as far as cruise lines are concerned, it looks like! (like Carnival Breeze and Dream and Magic...?) But we'll certainly have fun on this maiden voyage regardless.

Anyway - one reason we have waited so long is to get our boys through college (two graduating debt free in a matter of months now) and a very active business. Being business owners, there are no "down days". We just take our business with us via our laptops.

First question - I've read that internet is an extra fee. Anyone know how much that fee is and are there restricted times we can access the internet?

Second question - I've heard differing opinions on the dress code. We are doing the Cozumel/Progreso cruise, so I know it'll be summer casual dress 99% of the time. But what about the one nice-dinner dress night? Suit for him/dress for me, or is it even more casual than that?

Third question - it's pretty obvious we are not youngsters anymore - we like nice relaxing, little romantic venues. We also ballroom dance. I'm thinking Fantasy may not be our top pick for those types of things. Anyone have recommendations for future cruises that cater more to us "older" folks who don't want to do the ropes course or the water park? We are still very active, though - hikes, dancing, runners, etc, etc.

Thanks for any tips!

Bon Voyage and all those fun words!!

The internet / wifi packages vary from ship to ship and depend on what package you buy. They are not super expensive though. Most are around $50 for full access.

As far as quiet and relaxing, there are limited options where you can escape the noise and the kids. I would try the serenity area (if Fantasy even has one), or the upper sun decks. The interior bars are normally not crowded early in the evenings. If there is a steak house (sorry, I have never been on Fantasy) that is normally a very nice experience.

I'm no spring chicken either, and enjoy a little quiet time too. My biggest annoyance are the packs of spastic, unruly kids that seem to be everywhere. Parents will flame me now for saying that, but it's true. I always try to sail during times when school is in session, although that does not always help. I avoid summer and spring and winter break times like the plague.

I suggest definitely getting a balcony. It is often times the quietest, most relaxing spot on the ship. Enjoy your cruise.

Smart casual will do. I suggest jacket and trousers for him, short dress for you.

Edited by easyboy

Although the Fantasy class ships are much smaller than many cruise ships today I find them very enjoyable. They are less crowded and easier to find your way around. Cruising is a wonderful vacation.

There is no need for your husband to take a suit. Dress slacks and shirt and tie will be appropriate. If he likes to dress up then by all means a suit won't be out of place. A dress or dressy slacks and top will will work for you on elegant night.

In general you won't find ballroom dancing on a Carnival cruise but just walking around in the moonlight can be very romantic.

Enjoy your cruise and don't let anyone else influence your opinion of the you are sailing.

I was on a cruise several years ago and in one of the promenades they had a small group playing some of the oldies but goodies... a couple in their 20s got up and started to dance- it was obvious this couple had some serious experience in ballroom dancing!- anyway within 15 minutes there were at least half a dozen couples dancing right there in the opening in front of the band... it was totally spontaneous but really enjoyable!

So don't be afraid to start something! You're on a cruise- chances are you'll never see these people again so no need to be embarrassed! and who knows- maybe they'd love to dance too, they're just waiting for someone else brave enough to try it!

Don't worry about the class of the ship. Cruise lines work their asses off to make sure you have a good time. Just soak it in and have fun. Don't sweat the small stuff. Too many people look for things to complain about. I watch them all the time with a dopey grin (which I call my cruise face). Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here are the tiers and prices for wifi.

We offer three different types of plans that can be purchased for either a 24 hour period or for the entire length of the cruise at a discount - price for voyage plans vary by length of cruise:

Social ($5 USD per day) – Access the most popular websites and applications. Includes: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. Does not include access to other websites or apps.

Value ($16 USD per day) – Surf all your favorite sites, including e-mail, news, sports, weather, banking and finance. Note: Does not support Skype calling or music streaming (such as Spotify).

Premium ($25 USD per day) – From e-mail to Skype, our Premium plan promises the fastest possible connection, at speeds up to 3 times faster than our Value Plan. Supports Skype video calling, where coverage allows.

Here is the main dining room dress code. You will have at least one cruise elegant evening. The rest of the ship has no actual dress code (except you must wear shoes and at least cover up your swimsuit in the Lido).

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts

Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops

Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

There is no ropes course or anything like that on the Fantasy. I loved the Serenity deck for quiet time, and there are often areas, especially on the Promenade deck, that were very quiet during the day and early evening.

Enjoy your first cruise!!

Edited by Schoifmom

Thank you so much for your experiences and replies!

I particularly liked the idea of working on my dopey grin, geduffer! Perhaps a margarita or mitie could assist in achieving this new goal I now have! :D And I have a heart for the service industry. Rarely am I disappointed in hard working folks. And their rewards are well deserved as well. I look forward to meeting some of them on this cruise.

And on that note - I read somewhere that you can take a "ship tour"...? I'd really like to do that. Seeing the inside or guts of an operation stirs my soul! Have any of you taken such a tour and how much is it, anyway?

And realizing this is not so much a bottom rung ship, rather just a smaller one, maldenmusic and dogbert's mom, gave me a different perspective. Thank you! I am sure we'll be on larger ships in the future, but I bet the smaller/more intimate will be more satisfying for us. We're pretty incognito kind of folk anyway.

Thank you also, Schoifmom, for the copy and paste of the general rules. Kind of humbling - I should have searched farther. But glad for your help. It was suggested in another post that this is a vacation and perhaps I shouldn't even be thinking about our business. If I had that attitude, we wouldn't have our business for very long.......'nough said there. That incognito thing again....

Hmmm....Shaded Lady. Thank you for telling me about the impromptu dancers. We had heard that before and I have a feeling we'll be one of the couples starting that train. (perhaps after that Mitie I mentioned above...or two....with my newly discovered dopey grin already in place!! ;)) We are only three years into our ballroom dancing bucket-list experience, so we can still be a bit shy at the start..... The group we are traveling with is a dance group, so we won't be the only ones on this first cruise. I was just kind of feeling it out for future sails that we may take solo.

Short dress, easyboy. Not a problem. Easier to pack, too.

And speaking of packing....I was disappointed that I could not pack a steamer. I'm kind of a bit OCD about wrinkles......ok, ok....I'll REALLY work on my "don't care" attitude here......:o

And thank you for the heads up and suggestions about avoiding the smaller-sized-people on these floating vacations, Thebosn1 and Schoifmom. As I mentioned, I raised my boys and funny, when they were shorter than I was, noisy didn't really bother me. But now that my own attention span has shorted to about the length of a knat, I too, prefer serenity. Thus, the Serenity deck is sounding pretty nice!

And one more question if I haven't lost you all already......has anyone paid for and taken advantage of the massages? I know a bit pricey, but its an indulgence I'm willing to pay for. I'll forgo the margarita's for a massage any ole' day!

Thank you again for your time.....and now...back to work!! Crack that whip!;)

We've done the massages on the ship and they are awesome! You can save a bit of money booking on your first day, or watch for "sales" for spa treatments on port days.

This will be our 12th cruise in January. The thing we love about cruising is that you can be as busy as you want or find those quiet places for down time. Enjoy!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

The internet can be very slow and have multiple down times. I hope that you are not expecting something that's very reliable.

Take advantage of free wifi when you are off the ship. Most restaurants/bars have it. Much faster speeds.

And if you plan on working on you computer from the ship, And need a VPN connection. From Carnival's FAQ:

"VPN connections are not supported - discuss your VPN limitations with your company’s IT department if you are planning to work while sailing. We are not able to change your settings onboard."

I believe you are referring to the "behind the fun" tour. They only take so many passengers and you need to be one of the first of maybe 16 to sign up when you get onboard. We did this tour on the Pride one year. It's very interesting and at the end of the tour you will receive a little "goody" bag. I think you sign up for this at the excursion desk.

Enjoy your first of many cruises- you will be hooked 😎

Yep, it's the Behind the Fun tour. I've done it 6 times and I recommend it highly. Go to Shore Excursions as soon as you board because it often sells out. On Fantasy it should be $55/pp.

Regarding the WiFi, Carnival has really stepped up, in my experience. Both of my last two cruises on the Conquest I got the "Value" (middle) plan and service was quite good.....good enough to make a voice (but not video) call back home to friends using FB Messenger. They should offer a discount off the $16/day rate if you book it via your device when you board. I think on our 6-night cruise recently I paid less than $60.

As for the Fantasy-class, there are some really nice things about the ship besides the smaller size and less walking. The Serenity area is awesome, on the very back of the ship with less wind and a great view of the ship's wake, and conveniently close to late-night pizza and soft-serve ice cream.

I think after my Vista cruise next year I'll be ready for something smaller and more personable.

New question-sea sickness. I had struggled with car sickness all my life-typically having to ride in the front or drive as I got older. Funny, after my Lasic eye surgery in 2004 and change in hormones in 2007(TMI), the car sickness has greatly diminished, oddly enough. Weird. I can now even read in the car if the road isn't to windy. Even weirder. (on the hormone issue-I have read there is some correlation between migraine headaches and motion sickness...who knew...) So, naturally I'm very concerned about sea sickness. Your experiences??

I had it bad on two cruises. The ships were really rocking and rolling. The sickness only lasted 1 day each time. Before that I had never been seasick. I never vomited, just bad headache, dizziness and queasy feeling. I took Dramamine.

If you want a professional picture of the family you can get dressier. If not, just wear slacks and a nice top to dinner on elegant night. It's very casual now a days. Welcome to your new addiction of cruising!

If you pack clothes in dry cleaner bags it stops wrinkles somehow. I leave blouses and slcaks on hangars when I pack, makes unpacking easy. Nothing really wrinkles with the dc bags. You have to wear close toed shoes for the Behind the Fun tour. No steakhouse. They do offer steakhouse items for a fee in the MDR.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

New question-sea sickness. I had struggled with car sickness all my life-typically having to ride in the front or drive as I got older. Funny, after my Lasic eye surgery in 2004 and change in hormones in 2007(TMI), the car sickness has greatly diminished, oddly enough. Weird. I can now even read in the car if the road isn't to windy. Even weirder. (on the hormone issue-I have read there is some correlation between migraine headaches and motion sickness...who knew...) So, naturally I'm very concerned about sea sickness. Your experiences??

For severe seasickness you probably should have some Dramamine with you (generic stuff at Wally World is really cheap)... but one thing I always bring with me are ginger pills... they're also pretty cheap but since they're all natural no side effects, like drowsiness (even the non-drowsy stuff makes my hubby feel like nap time!).

The ginger pills are great, even if you don't get seasick- on a cruise you can tend to overeat or eat different things that your system isn't used to- a ginger pill afterwards is easy to help take that feeling away. (they're also great if you overindulge in the bars too!)

The thing I like most about ginger pills is that I don't have the aftertaste that I would with ginger ale or ginger candy, which can also help.

For severe seasickness you probably should have some Dramamine with you (generic stuff at Wally World is really cheap)... but one thing I always bring with me are ginger pills... they're also pretty cheap but since they're all natural no side effects, like drowsiness (even the non-drowsy stuff makes my hubby feel like nap time!).

The ginger pills are great, even if you don't get seasick- on a cruise you can tend to overeat or eat different things that your system isn't used to- a ginger pill afterwards is easy to help take that feeling away. (they're also great if you overindulge in the bars too!)

The thing I like most about ginger pills is that I don't have the aftertaste that I would with ginger ale or ginger candy, which can also help.

Thank you so much for this info! I have heard of ginger pills. I cook a lot with ginger - we're kind of health foodies in our family. But I've never taken the pills. I get dizzy sometimes in our ballroom dancing when there are a lot of spins. Instructors are working on teaching us dizzy heads to focus on one focal point when we turn. But I heard one instructor to find and suck on ginger. So, all these ideas are coming together. Just generic ginger pills can be found with vitamins and supplements? Also - I had heard of taking Bromine instead of Dramamine because Bromine doesn't make you drowsy. And also to start taking it the day before the cruise and even the day after to settle until you have your "land legs" back........have you heard any of this?