Last Minute First Timer Questions

Maple_Girl

Hello,

The Husband and I will be boarding the QM2 on Monday for the first time. I'm super excited! I have a few last minute questions....

1. Are there telescopes on deck at night? I thought I read about that somewhere.

2. Has anyone ever seen the aurora on a winter crossing?

3. Who are the narrators for the planetarium shows? I thought I heard that James May was one. Does anyone know if this is true?

4. How formal are the semi-formal nights? I have some lovely gowns for the formal evenings but I'm worried that my normal work dresses will not be nice enough for the 4 semi-formal nights. Is there a page with pictures of what people wear to dinner?

5. I read about using a porter to help expedite disembarkation in NY. Is this a good tip for Southampton as well?

6. Does anyone know what films they are currently showing?

7. Does the cabin come with shampoo/condition? Is there laundry soap in the launderettes? I'd rather not bring my own if possible.

8. How does everyone pack their suits, tuxedos and gowns in their suitcases without them becoming super wrinkled?

9. How does one dance with one of the dance hosts?

10. Is Captain Oprey still the captain of the QM2?

11. Are there any other super cool things we should be on the lookout for?

I can't answer all of these but have noted the ones I can in red. Say hello if you see me on board! :D

Hello,

The Husband and I will be boarding the QM2 on Monday for the first time. I'm super excited! I have a few last minute questions....

3. Who are the narrators for the planetarium shows? I thought I heard that James May was one. Does anyone know if this is true?

They may have changed since last time I was on board but the one I saw was narrated by Tom Hanks. In all honesty, I think my expectations for the planetarium were too high and I didn't end up finding it all that riveting. It was more of a narrated film shown on a dome than a true astronomical presentation. Worth seeing once since it is the "only one at sea" but not sure I will go again unless mum really wants to.

4. How formal are the semi-formal nights? I have some lovely gowns for the formal evenings but I'm worried that my normal work dresses will not be nice enough for the 4 semi-formal nights. Is there a page with pictures of what people wear to dinner?

Other posters pretty much nailed it when they stated informal on Cunard is like "formal" on other lines. A smart business dress would be acceptable as would an LBD. Many woman sparkle it up a bit even on informal night but business attire is fine. I wear khakis or grey trousers with a navy blue blazer and silk pocket square [or similar], without tie...basically what I would wear to work.

7. Does the cabin come with shampoo/condition? Is there laundry soap in the launderettes? I'd rather not bring my own if possible.

There are lovely Penhaligons toiletries provided, including shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. They are the nicest toiletries I've received on any line and they still come in individual bottles rather than the awful wall dispensers that most other lines have gone to.

There is also free laundry soap in the launderettes. You won't need to bring your own [unless of course you are very picky about brand. I did not recall there being fabric softener though, if that is important to you.

8. How does everyone pack their suits, tuxedos and gowns in their suitcases without them becoming super wrinkled?

Tuxedo and blazer are folded in garment bags in my suitcase. They seem to hold up well. Can't give advice on dresses but I assume it would be a similar result, especially with wool or most synthetic fabrics. Obviously linen, cotton or silk will wrinkle much more but for a winter crossing those fabrics may not be worn much ;)

10. Is Captain Oprey still the captain of the QM2?

According to recent posts on here, he should be.

11. Are there any other super cool things we should be on the lookout for?

Do take a walk around the spare propeller blades placed on the forward viewing area of, I think, deck 7. It's a cool feature that I believe is only on QM2.

Hi! You will love the QM2. Some quick answers:

1. No telescopes

2. I have only gone in the spring, late summer and fall. I have always been surprised at the lack of stars on a clear night. A full moon though is fantastic. Lights up the waters. In October heading to New York there was a full moon behind the ship and it lit up the wake. Incredible sight.

4. From quick memory: I believe there are three formal nights or could be four. Creates a fantastic atmosphere onboard. I am a guy so can't advise on dresses. I did see all styles. Don't worry about is my best advice. Just enjoy yourself(of course this coming from a guy he just has to wear a tux)

5). I did not see porters in the baggage hall in Southampton but truly I was not looking. That said I did notice them in NY.

7). Nice shampoo etc. The brand is Penhaligon's (SP?). I love the light smell.

8). I can help with the Tux. Yes. It can get a bit winkled in the suitcase. I just hang in the shower with the hot water running for a few minutes. Works wonders. I do pack it last in my suitcase so it is on top.

10. I believe he is presently the Captain. I prefer Capt Wells: love his midday updates. Some maritime trivia and stories. Just my preference.

11: I could go on and on about supercool stuff. To me the best part is just taking the time to watch the ocean. I find it is the most hypnotic thing in the world and the QM2 is the best platform for watching. As for lounges and bars: I love the chart room just before dinner. Not that crowded and to me anyway there is a sense of anticipation for the evening ahead and an atmosphere of style. I am sure lots of people will give you ideas. My advice is to not rush to try and do everything.

I have been meaning to write a quick review of my QM2 trip from October. Maybe this weekend. I had an amazing time. Loved the remastering but had a few quibbles(but who doesn't). That said I am booked for this upcoming June!

Enjoy yourself

PS. Sorry for any typing errors. It is late and I am on my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was able to get a porter upon disembarkation in Southampton but I did have to queue to get him (this was a world voyage however, so many people had more luggage than they could handle).

Semi-formal nights see a range of ladies outfits from pantsuits to formal wear. Your work dresses should be fine.

If you want to dance, sit in the Queens Room (close to the dance floor, if you can) while the band is playing and look like you want to dance (make eye contact with a dance host).

Unless the toiletries have changed since last year, this is what you will get.

imagejpg1_zpse936fd30.jpg

Enjoy your crossing!

Edited by Scrapnana

Hi all,

I was on the W’bound portion of your planned E’bound post West Indies. There are porters in Brooklyn and Southampton. The ship is gorgeous, they got it all right in the Remastering IMHO. Captain Oprey is in charge but he retires after the current voyage. There’s some ugly weather heading this way (NYC) so you may have a classic winter crossing-QM2 is the ship to do it;)

Enjoy everything:D

Hello,

I posted some of Mrs Rakkor's outfits from our recent QV cruise on my blog

https://blog.rakkor.uk/2016/10/31/some-of-janes-outfits/

5. I read about using a porter to help expedite disembarkation in NY. Is this a good tip for Southampton as well?

I doubt it. QM2 carries a UK Immigration officer on Eastbound crossings and you will meet with him on the ship. There's a schedule by deck for about days 1-4. When you get to Southampton you just pick up your bags and walk out. IIRC, as you leave there are a couple of officers doing spot checks; I doubt if having a porter makes any difference in your likelihood of being selected.

There are luggage trolleys galore as you enter the terminal.

Roy

Heya! I have the perfect post for this which answers some of your questions and has photos of what I wore to dinner. The semi formal nights are still way more formal than I have ever been in my life...

My favourite super cool thing was the free room service, so yummy!! And don't miss the afternoon tea!! http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/11/06/8-things-you-should-know-before-cruising-with-cunard-2/

I do agree with all of the above postings so won't say it all again haha.

Here's what I wore: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/11/08/cunard-dress-code-what-to-wear/

Have a fab fab fab time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Queen Mary 2 has two telescopes that are sometimes used for Stargazing nights held by the Royal Astronomical Society astronomer on board. Whether this happens on your voyage will depend on weather conditions and an available time slot in the programme.

Sometimes the RAS astronomer also does "live" planetarium shows, again depending on a slot in the daily schedule. There are many astronomy lectures in Illuminations during most voyages but I don't think we have an astronomer on board for your voyage. http://www.cunard.co.uk/Documents/Enrichment/QM2insights.pdf

As has been said, the planetarium shows are movies narrated by Tom Hanks, Robert Redford and Harrison Ford. James May does not narrate any of the shows as far as I remember.

Question #12:

Where is the best place to get my dollars converted into pounds? My bank does not do it. We will be in NYC for a day before we embark. We'll be spending a few day in London so I'd like to have some pounds on hand for small purchases and tips.

Question #12:

Where is the best place to get my dollars converted into pounds? My bank does not do it. We will be in NYC for a day before we embark. We'll be spending a few day in London so I'd like to have some pounds on hand for small purchases and tips.

Check the rates for Wells Fargo. Even if you're not a WF customer they have a mail order program where the rates aren't too bad (an ATM in the UK will normally be your best bet). The money is sent FedEx overnight.

Edit: I'm having trouble finding the link for non-customers so perhaps it's no longer available. I'm burning shipboard internet minutes or I'd look harder.

Edited by Underwatr

Yes, you may see a light show on this crossing. If you get a clear night, the stars are spectacular.

On our last crossing on the QV last January the stars were beyond description. Just before landfall in Port Canaveral, I was up right before dawn when the sky is at it's darkest. (I had unremitting nausea and had step out onto our balcony hoping for some cold air to help with it.) The sky was unbelievably beautiful. I felt as if I could reach the stars and touch them. I didn't wake up DH to share, it was the first time in days that he had slept due to my illness. And, yes, I had every remedy known to man. They just didn't want to work.

You will get the best views of the Aurora Borealis from an airplane. I think the QM2 will provide a pretty good platform if you are lucky. Sometime after midnight will give you the best chance.

Bon Voyage. The QM2 provides a much better vehicle for crossing. You are going to have a great time.

Question #5 Porters at Southampton

Yes, there are and I always use them. When you walk off with hand luggage, you go down to the ground floor. At this point nobody is thinking "porters" because one does not actually have bulky suitcases at this moment. A line of guys wearing yellow jackets and standing with sack barrows are who you need. Just ask the first in the line up if he is free. You need to get your porter well before you find your suitcases - this is why many people do not see the porters.- they do not look for them until they get to the luggage reclaim hall and that is not where they stand! Bottom of stairs elevators as soon as you get to ground floor is where they stand.He will follow you to the luggage reclaim hall. You just tell him the deck or group your luggage is with and he finds the correct pile. You identify your cases he/she loads them onto trolley. (People who have not collared a porter will be going to the supermarket carts for self luggage handling which are in the reclaim hall).

Once porter has your cases loaded he will enquire about your onward travel, taxi, car in car park etc. and will push your cases through customs/immigration. It may be stopped for inspection, if it happens porter waits with you, but often you are not stopped as the ships passengers have gone through passport inspection on board.

So if it's a taxi you need that's where he will take you and your cases. If you have a car parked with CPS he will take you to kiosk and then onto your advised parking position.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

As someone else has pointed out, if you're boarding at New York then it's on Tuesday, not Monday. But I've just checked as we are on the same voyage and we don't want to miss it!

One cool thing that you might just miss is to find the corridor between the Royal Court Theatre and the Illuminations movie theatre. There are two levels one with jigsaws and one just with nice seats. But the best bit is that they are low in the ship and you can get a lovely view of the swell, and the waves going by.

But just keep exploring, there's lots to see!

Question #12:

Have a look online, there are loads of bureau de change all over London that offer very good rates for example https://www.thomasexchange.co.uk/buyback.asp are offering USD1.25 to the pound. You may need to reserve that rate as the rate to people just turning up will be less than that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

#6:

On this cruise they showed a lot of Christmas movies leading up to Christmas, but here are some of the non-Christmas movies:

• Ithaca
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
  • Eddie the Eagle
  • Star Trek Beyond
  • Me Before You
  • Hell or High Water