As a Celebrity Cruiser should I Try MSC (not Yacht Club)??

chadwickx16

I'm a cruiser who has gotten used to and enjoys the little luxuries that Celebrity has come to offer me over the past 20 or so years. I know it isn't everything it used to be, but for us, the current pricing structures are perfect and fit our budget.

We know what to experience with Celebrity and are very satisfied with the product.

However, we are taking a group cruise and they are looking at MSC, now I know I would probably love the YC but they wouldn't. And taking a trip together and being in YC away from the rest of our party kinda defeats the purpose.

So, my question is, what is MSC Cruising like in any of the "Experiences," compared to Celebrity?

I'm a cruiser who has gotten used to and enjoys the little luxuries that Celebrity has come to offer me over the past 20 or so years. I know it isn't everything it used to be, but for us, the current pricing structures are perfect and fit our budget.

We know what to experience with Celebrity and are very satisfied with the product.

However, we are taking a group cruise and they are looking at MSC, now I know I would probably love the YC but they wouldn't. And taking a trip together and being in YC away from the rest of our party kinda defeats the purpose.

So, my question is, what is MSC Cruising like in any of the "Experiences," compared to Celebrity?

My experience was that the cabins are nice and the public spaces are beautiful but the ships are overcrowded. The crew do their best but they are overworked and the entertainment is crass and amateurish. The MDR was a zoo.

Given a good port-intensive itinerary I would cruise with them but I'd have to do it without my wife who has sworn never to set foot on MSC again. I'd stay well clear of any MSC cruise with lots of sea days.

We did Yacht Club but also wandered around Divina. There's a reason that the overall 'would recommend' review rating on Cruisecritic is 53% for MSC vs. 81% for Celebrity.

Ship itself is beautiful, well maintained. But MDR food was average and ship tends to be overrun with kids (kids sail free promos). Public areas noisy and congested.

While YC is top quality segregated suite area, I can't even recommend it on value for $ basis.

HAPPY CRUISING

Love the Yacht Club.

However, I would not cruise without it (while on other lines we don't do full suites).

Divina is too crowded outside the YC. Too many kids because they have Kids sail free all the time.

Don't know if these problems will carry over to the Seaside.

The ships are beautiful, the staff friendly and hard working, little touches like nibbles served with cocktails are welcomed. There is a lack of speciality restaurants but the MDR is fine, the food may not have been quite as good as Celebrity, but you don't starve taking into consideration the price paid compared to Celebrity. The beverage prices are less expensive as are the gratuities.

On Splendida there are 2 specific coffee 'bars' just as good as cafe el bacio imho. The buffet has 2 full service bars, free gelato is available too.

With regards to overcrowding, our recent sailing did not feel overcrowded nor was there a large number of children on board.

We think we now have 2 preferred cruise lines of choice, Celebrity and MSC. I know we have a RCI sailing booked, but after sailing with them exclusively for 12 years, they are way down the list due to their outrageous beverage prices, constantly increases in gratuities, increases in cruise fare, increases in speciality dining charges and the steep decline in food quality and service.

I could have quoted the same issues I've read in prior posts. The "only" good thing my wife and I can say about this ship is its beautiful! Other than that it was, our first and last time with that outfit.

I've sailed MSC Divina both in Yacht Club and outside. Cabins were beautiful in our regular balcony cabin. Beds very comfortable. No rounded corners to the beds like on Celebrity. We thought the food both in the MDR and the Buffet was fantastic. Do you like pizza and pasta?! And a million other things as well.... We thought the shows were exceptional. They do a good job putting on shows for an audience that speaks lots of different languages. The ship does have bottle necks that require some patience. The ship is absolutely stunning. There are multiple bars and lounges with different music every night. The Meet & Greet that MSC schedules on their own for passengers was attended by several senior officers and alcoholic and non beverages and snacks were provided. The infinity pool is beautiful.