Celebrity laundry facilities

47jag

We are elite now and get a free bag of laundry each. Prior to that, we did some small items by handwash in our sink and did the bag special for a modest amount. Not sure if they still have the bag special.

The prices seem high but are far better than what a hotel would charge.

Well I guess that I am part of the 1% -- 1) I do bring Lysol wipes with me and wipe down every surface that my hands might come in contact with including remotes, knobs, drawer pulls, etc when I enter my cabin. I am in no way a germ freak; rather I acknowledge that my steward has 14 cabins to attend to and that his/her forgetting to clean a couple of things might potentially impact my vacation if the previous pax had been sick. It takes a few minutes and gives me a little peace of mind.

Secondly, I LOVE doing laundry mid-way through a cruise, as I enjoy doing it at home. I can pack 1/2 as much (usually a standard carry-on for a week) and have fresh, clean clothes halfway through. It's also important as we do water activities and sometimes come back with salt water t-shirts and shorts and those take forever to try to hang up and dry off.

To each his/her own I guess. May we all embrace our diversity in how we vacation this new year.

Happy (almost) 2017

Short sleeve shirts/blouses are laundered for $6 each.

So if you are on a 27 day cruise (like we will be next year) with six shirts for each person and have them laundered three times, that is $216 for shirts alone.

As I understand it the bag specials are wash and fold items only, so shirts/blouses which need to be pressed and not folded can't be taken advantage of using the bag special.

I understand your concern. However, your 27 day cruise is probably costing you about $10,000 with all travel and excursion costs included. Compared to $10,000, that $216 is "petty cash". :D

I would gladly pay $216 extra for laundry if I could afford to pay for a 27 day cruise. ;)

Have a great time on that cruise!!

Edited by PTMary

Well I guess that I am part of the 1% -- 1) I do bring Lysol wipes with me and wipe down every surface that my hands might come in contact with including remotes, knobs, drawer pulls, etc when I enter my cabin. I am in no way a germ freak

Not trying to be snarky, but I am genuinely curious - what do you do with stair railings, elevator buttons, chair arms, table surfaces, menus, public area door handles, etc.?

We are sailing in January on Celebrity Constellation for the first time with Celebrity. My wife wants to know what are the laundry facilities like. Do the supply detergent for example or do we have to provide our own?

Thanks

Art

There are no self serve machines, everything has to be sent out to the ship laundrymen

Well I guess that I am part of the 1% -- 1) I do bring Lysol wipes with me and wipe down every surface that my hands might come in contact with including remotes, knobs, drawer pulls, etc when I enter my cabin. I am in no way a germ freak; rather I acknowledge that my steward has 14 cabins to attend to and that his/her forgetting to clean a couple of things might potentially impact my vacation if the previous pax had been sick. It takes a few minutes and gives me a little peace of mind.

Secondly, I LOVE doing laundry mid-way through a cruise, as I enjoy doing it at home. I can pack 1/2 as much (usually a standard carry-on for a week) and have fresh, clean clothes halfway through. It's also important as we do water activities and sometimes come back with salt water t-shirts and shorts and those take forever to try to hang up and dry off.

To each his/her own I guess. May we all embrace our diversity in how we vacation this new year.

Happy (almost) 2017

Count us as members of the 1% Club. We also wipe down everything we might touch with Lysol or Chlorox wipes. We carry small bottle of Purell to use after touching hand rails, menus, etc. We do the same at hotels, rental cars and on aircraft.

We stopped using Celebrity's laundry service after our underwear came back with zero elasticity in the waistbands. Never had a problem with their laundry service on 7 previous cruises. We use Woolite and take 1 less bag which save us on luggage fees.

May seem silly to some people but we couldn't care less. :p

Not trying to be snarky, but I am genuinely curious - what do you do with stair railings, elevator buttons, chair arms, table surfaces, menus, public area door handles, etc.?

Wash or sanitize (or both) our hands before eating or hands near face.

Every time. We know the horrible hygiene of the typical cruise pax.

65+ cruises (~800 days) and virtually never ill, even when 50-60% of the ship (Silhouette last month) was a petri dish of sickness.

If you can't fit enough clothes in the airline weight limit, I would rather pay for bringing an extra suitcase than send my laundry out.

We're diamond plus and elite but after seeing the shirts and jeans from now on they're just getting underwear in my free bag.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Don't send any good clothes to the laundry. My $100.00 Chicos black jeans came back very faded and the fabric feeling like a rag.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think there is some good reason not to send some items to the laundry.

I send my shirts and slacks as well as underclothes and socks to the laundry. My slacks are mostly kaki's and department store (no designer) slacks that have never been damaged in 9 cruises. Shirts come out fine, but none cost $100.

Just trying to clarify...do any of the complaints about the laundry ruining clothes refer to the dry cleaning services? I noticed on the price list that DC is only about $1/item more expensive than laundry. In that case, I would just have most items dry cleaned.

Just trying to clarify...do any of the complaints about the laundry ruining clothes refer to the dry cleaning services? I noticed on the price list that DC is only about $1/item more expensive than laundry. In that case, I would just have most items dry cleaned.

We have been taking Celebrity cruises for years and have never had a problem with their dry cleaning service.

We usually have no problem with the laundry either, but sometimes they ignore the instructions we write on the laundry slip.

On the rare occasion when that happens, we send the item back and have it redone.

It typically involves a visit from the assistant chief housekeeper, who is always very helpful and concerned about making things right.

If you are in a suite, your butler will take care of it.

We have never had anything permanently ruined, but occasionally have heard stories from others who did.

We also have never had anything lost, but once in a while something shows up in our returned laundry bag that is not ours.

So we give it right back to our stateroom attendant or butler, as I guess most others also do in such situations.

But we do not pack any clothing that we would get very upset about if it were to be damaged or lost.

Most of the clothing we bring on cruises is wash and tumble dry type travel clothing that requires no ironing (e.g, microfiber).

Otherwise, it goes to dry cleaning.

No worries about t-shirt shrinkage because we deliberately buy the t-shirts we plan to take on cruises in larger sizes than needed and wash them in hot water ourselves first.

Any clothing that we are not willing to send out for either laundering or dry cleaning does not get packed in the first place.

Even when we go on cruise ships that have self-service laundry rooms, we never use them.

We do not enjoy doing laundry (do enough of it at home) and don't want to bother wasting any of our precious vacation time that way.

No running back and forth to and from the laundry room trying to determine if a washer is available, or when to switch the clothing from the washer to the dryer.

No concerns with finding that something in the dryer is still wet and requires another drying cycle, or that a dryer is not available when we need one, or that someone else left lint in the dryer for us to clean out. As for spending any cruise vacation time ironing, no way!

One of the many pleasures of cruising is not needing to bother doing laundry at all.

Instead, you simply leaving your dirty laundry in a bag with instructions as to what you want done.

The next time you return to your cabin, the bag has disappeared.

Then a day later, your clothing magically reappears, all fresh and clean, folded or on hangers.

As Morgsmom said, to each his/her own.

Edited by varoo

We are sailing in January on Celebrity Constellation for the first time with Celebrity. My wife wants to know what are the laundry facilities like. Do the supply detergent for example or do we have to provide our own?

Thanks

Art

I brought a small bottle of laundry soap and hand washed underoos, rolled them in a beachtowel to get most of the water out and hung them on the line in the bathroom to dry. We sent other essentials to their laundry. We were 14 days out.....washed most things once.

Can the laundry handle not putting items in dryer? Just hang dry?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My first reaction would be no. That said if you ask your steward to ask the coolie in the bowels of the ship you never know what could happen. I have a great deal of sympathy for the laundry men, they would never see the light of day and judging by the number of pool towels let alone linen changes I think such a request would receive a polite decline. If the dryer is not to be used where would you propose they hang your smalls and 2000 other sets as well..

Edited by Beanb41