Viking Sea Repairs and Jan 8th cruise.

Lottie A

This is just to let everyone know that I have just spoken to Viking Customer Services and have been told that the issue with Viking Sea is related to a fault in the propeller. They are presently repairing it and they do not think it will affect our cruise on the 8th.

They stated that they would contact our TA's if there were any changes, but they did not foresee any problems that would affect our cruise departing as planned on January 8th.

After speaking to them, I do feel happier that the ship will be repaired in time for us now. Phew! 😄 We are really looking forward to this cruise.

Looking forward to hearing all about your 1st Viking cruise,

Have a very Happy New Year 2017, Lottie A.

Hi portofino,

We are really looking forward to it too. Could be another option for us all, besides Azamara, Oceania and Silversea.

Happy New Year to you as well. 🍷🍸🍾

Just some more info from Viking today....they have told my TA that it most definitely is a propeller problem with Sea and it can be repaired without the need for a dry dock. They anticipate the repairs will be completed in the next few days and have completely reassured my TA that our cruise will go ahead on Jan 8th with no problems at all.

I really hope it does.

I am going to try to stop worrying about it and start my packing! :)

Just some more info from Viking today....they have told my TA that it most definitely is a propeller problem with Sea and it can be repaired without the need for a dry dock. They anticipate the repairs will be completed in the next few days and have completely reassured my TA that our cruise will go ahead on Jan 8th with no problems at all.

I really hope it does.

I am going to try to stop worrying about it and start my packing! :)

Thanks for the update. I did wonder, like Peregrina, how a propeller could be replaced so quickly and not in dry dock. My assumption is that it's not the actual propeller but parts relating to the propeller and propulsion of the ship that are being replaced/repaired.

I really do wish a representative from Viking would take the time to address our concerns in this forum. It's fortunate that your TA seems to be able to get some actual information as opposed to the "it's all good unless you hear otherwise" answer that I got.

We're keeping a positive thought!

...I really do wish a representative from Viking would take the time to address our concerns in this forum. It's fortunate that your TA seems to be able to get some actual information...

The info via the TA "might" be accurate, and then again it might be something someone heard and passed on, etc. Not saying anyone lied, just pointing out how information gets passed around.

In any event, hope it all works out.

The info via the TA "might" be accurate, and then again it might be something someone heard and passed on, etc. Not saying anyone lied, just pointing out how information gets passed around.

In any event, hope it all works out.

Actually garycarla this was a message today direct from the Viking Customer Service Dept to my TA and specifically for me, so I'm very much hoping it is accurate.

I was concerned that repairs to the propeller could not be carried out unless the ship was in dry dock, but was reassured that the problem could be repaired at the berth in Barcelona and was well underway. Again Viking stated that our Jan 8th cruise would not be impacted in any way. I am going to get my Euro's tomorrow and I'm starting my packing, so I hope it is true.

I suppose we will only really know for sure once we are onboard Viking Sea on Jan 8th.

I find the propeller explanation very interesting: we were sailing on the ship when we heard a loud boom. One of our party said it sounded like a transformer "blew up." We were actually told it was a transformer that "went down" and that's why we had to turn around and go back to dock. In looking through Cruise Critic, I saw a number of posts about previous Viking Ocean cruises experiencing transformer malfunction (one even had 3 of the 4 transformers "go down.") We have friends who decided to take the option to stay onboard and I'll ask them what, if anything, they've been told lately.

Whatever the cause, I'm glad the Jan. 8 sailing is still possible. It's a beautiful ship and the staff is very good. Enjoy!

We just had an announcement from the bridge. Repair work was done on Monday and Monday night, we took a little joy ride to test the repair (aka a sea trial). The engineers have been reviewing the data gathered on the test run and tweaking continues. There will be more sea trials. That is as detailed as the announcement got and I expect that is as detailed an explanation as ever will be offered.

As one who has taken both the Star and now the Sea, the Sea had a definite shimmy to it that was not experienced on the Star.

Hopefully Friday night's test cruise will be a success and those coming on board after us will have a great experience!

Ive only sailed on the Sea so I can't compare and I'm not quite sure what you mean by a shimmy. I think the big question is, did you feel that shimmy on both our little jaunt almost to Toulon AND the sea trial on Monday night or just one of those trips. If was just on the sail to Toulon, could it have been because we were sailing with just the starboard side propulsion?

On December 28, after departing Barcelona, Viking Sea experienced a loss of power with one propulsion system and returned to Barcelona for repairs. Guests were offered the choice to remain onboard the ship in Barcelona, with shore excursions of the surrounding area, for the duration of their trip – or to return home early with Viking’s assistance for necessary flight arrangements. A vast majority of guests chose to remain onboard Viking Sea in Barcelona. Viking Customer Relations representatives will contact all guests on this sailing, or their agents, after they return home.

As of yesterday, January 3, repairs have been completed, and no impact is expected for the next sailing, which departs from Barcelona on January 8. Viking Sea will remain in Barcelona until then.

Ah...I see your Viking Social Media team have now returned to work after the holiday! :)

Thank you for this information, plus the Facebook private message today. I am very happy, as are we all, that our sailing won't be impacted and we can all set off for Barcelona soon.

Very good news.

You all enjoy your Jan 8 sailing.

Look forward, Lottie , to your review of your Jan 8 cruise. I have always read your posts on Azamara forum.

Thank for the reports of those who stayed on board and had a different kind of vacation this week.

Very good news.

You all enjoy your Jan 8 sailing.

Look forward, Lottie , to your review of your Jan 8 cruise. I have always read your posts on Azamara forum.

Thank for the reports of those who stayed on board and had a different kind of vacation this week.

Hi Azulann...I always read your posts too. The "usual suspects" from the Azamara forum have just booked Journey for November....I know we will all have a great time. :)

Hazel and I are really looking forward to our Viking cruise now and hoping it may become a favoured second option to Azamara for us, especially for winter cruises in The Med. I will try to do a mini review of our Viking Sea cruise.

To @Viking Cruises. In Thursday's Viking Daily it says the Viking Sea will be on a test sailing from 11:45 Friday night to 6:00 Saturday morning. We are scheduled to disembark at 7:45 Saturday morning and I am a little nervous that if the test sailing is delayed we might not get to the airport on time. Is there anything you can do to make sure the captain knows there will be people disembarking. I spoke to one of the customer service people and she told me not to worry. I hope she's right.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dear Alicomp,

Rest assured that we will be back in port in time for your departure. It isn’t uncommon for guests, like yourself, to be booked for early flights on disembarkation day. A test sailing would not be scheduled for that time if we were not confident that we could deliver a smooth disembarkation to all of our guests.

If it would make you more comfortable, and if you haven’t already, you are welcome to provide your flight details to the crew or email us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Enjoy your last few days aboard!

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

To @Viking Cruises. In Thursday's Viking Daily it says the Viking Sea will be on a test sailing from 11:45 Friday night to 6:00 Saturday morning. We are scheduled to disembark at 7:45 Saturday morning and I am a little nervous that if the test sailing is delayed we might not get to the airport on time. Is there anything you can do to make sure the captain knows there will be people disembarking. I spoke to one of the customer service people and she told me not to worry. I hope she's right.

Sent from my iPad using Forums