No Class :(

Marlenascruising

Ok what is BTDT ?

We have our first X cruise in March - I did find the various classes to be confusing. We ended up with Concierge, but only because we preferred a particular 'balcony' location over others that were available. I did not realize it was Concierge until after the fact.

BTDT - Been There Done That.

I think it means"been there done that".

Aqua: We like the really nice, expanded room service breakfast menu (also available in CC), unlimited Persian Gardens, footstools on the balconies and relaxation room (on S-class ships). The shower is a 'spa' shower that has a fancy arrangement with multiple jets and is nice. Don't care for the afternoon canapés, daily fruit, and have mixed emotions about Blu.

CC: Like room service breakfast menu and footstools. Might like their embarkation day lunch -- used to have lunch at Bistro which became Sushi on Five and is not our favorite. And yes we did try it. Same canapés and fruit offerings. A somewhat upgraded shower head but not as fancy as AC. Also BOTH offer a nice tote bag and a little sea pass card wallet and a larger umbrella that we hope NOT to be required....

Regular balcony cabins are same size and layout in general and any differences other than the shower equipment are too insignificant for us to notice ON THE S-CLASS SHIPS.

Never done suite because we value the travel not the room and would rather do two cruises to different locations than one itinerary with a more than we need room.

Sooooo.... I would advise selecting based on whether those perks and an extra Captian's Club point or two are really something you think is worth the extra money and also something you will really use. For us it is worth a small amount more -- low hundreds on 14-day trips. However we are perfectly happy in the regular veranda.

We think Concierge if fine if your main reason for choosing is the cabin location. Otherwise, the extra perks given to Concierge Class are really minor and not worth much extra money. You do get a few upgrades with cabin amenities, an embarkation lunch in the MDR (if you are aboard before 1:30), and access to a so-called Concierge who can help with reservations (we have never found this very helpful). We also booked Concierge for an upcoming 21 day cruise...but only because the cabin location was good and the cost differential was very minimal (it was during a major promotion).

Hank

FYI, the concierge is available to everyone sailing on the ship, not just those in concierge class cabins. That's just a name for that class of cabin. It has nothing to do with access to the concierge.

Several people have mentioned that the perks for concierge class are minor. That may be true on S-class ships where all the veranda cabins are the same size. But on M-class ships, concierge class cabins are larger than standard cabins, with a larger sitting area that includes a sofa instead of a chair.

We prefer that extra space, so we'll book a concierge on M-class. On S-class we book a standard veranda cabin.

You also gain 2 extra Captain's Club points per night with concierge class - 5 instead of 3 in a standard. That may not be important to most people, but it could help a frequent cruiser move up a tier in the rewards program.

Edited by sloopsailor

We alternate between AQ and Veranda based on price. For our upcoming Sydney to Honolulu 18 night cruise we felt the upgrade to AQ was worth it for Blu for breakfast and with lots of sea days, the Persian Garden. We have cruised everything from inside cabins to Sky Suites (pre Luminae) and have never had anything but a great cruise. The best tip is to join your roll call here on CC and pick up tips from the people you will be sailing with.

To be honest, aside from the extra CC points, embarkation day lunch and the dedicated debarkation area, "perks" of the Concierge class were non-existent on our last sailing. If it weren't for the extra points, we'd do a Sunset Veranda on a Solstice or a Family Veranda on a Millennium.

And to be honest, we saw so few perks of being Elite on the last sailing, I don't know why we even bother trying to accumulate points anymore.

We were Concierge Class on our first (and only so far) Celebrity cruise. Our TA said that was the equivalent of our (at that time) Platinum on Princess. Our next cruise on X is basic (what do you call that?), so it will be interesting to see the difference (if any).

Yes, we are actually excited about our next X cruise. And our cruising friends are doing their first X. Hope it lives up to our wonderful Reflection cruise.

Again, we are not accustomed to the "class" thing. Didn't like not having access to one of the bars (being only Concierge), but the Reflection cruise was otherwise wonderful!

OP, I thought the same thing before booking my first Celebrity cruise. There's just so much talk on this board about suites and it makes you think they're the "only" thing worth booking.

Now I've learned through experience that I could care less about what class I'm booking in. The only thing that matters to me is the location of the cabin. If it makes people happy booking suites, then by all means do it, but for me, it's not important. Remember that there are plenty of people on the cruise with you that aren't in suites. And yes, you'll have a great time despite the cabin you've chosen.

Well heck yes you will! Seriously there is no real perks to Concierge except extra CC points and one embarkation lunch that I hear is not very good. ..........

I though the Concierge lunch was fine, it also beats fighting for a seat in the buffet that 1st day. Footstools and location of CC are also a bonus as well as the points you mention.

It depends on price and what is on offer, we recently sailed for 14 nights on exotic southern carib and had all 4 perks with CC so no brainer to book that class but I wouldn't pay a ton more and would still have enjoyed myself regardless of class of cabin.

^^^^^^^^

Well,

The perks in the coffee bar are pretty nice!

But they only apply to Elite + and not regular Elite. And as most people have at least a classic drinks package these days which includes all of the Cafe El Bacio offerings and not just four it is understandable why some question the real value of points. :)

We were Concierge Class on our first (and only so far) Celebrity cruise. Our TA said that was the equivalent of our (at that time) Platinum on Princess. Our next cruise on X is basic (what do you call that?), so it will be interesting to see the difference (if any).

Yes, we are actually excited about our next X cruise. And our cruising friends are doing their first X. Hope it lives up to our wonderful Reflection cruise.

Again, we are not accustomed to the "class" thing. Didn't like not having access to one of the bars (being only Concierge), but the Reflection cruise was otherwise wonderful!

The only bar you cant get in is Micheals and that place is usually like a morgue anyway so you are not missing anything. Of course eating at Luminea is a pretty nice suite perk.