Clock in concierge level cabin?

thepoint

Been on over 65 different ships and never saw a clock in any cabin...except some suites. As has been posted, your cabin telephone has a digital display that includes the ship's time. You can also get the current ship's time on one of the cabin television channels. We always carry a couple of inexpensive travel alarm clocks in our luggage,.,,,one of which has a digital temperature display (useful if we have an issue with cabin a/c).

Hank

The benefit of setting wake-up calls through the ship's system is you don't have to remember anything about time zones, as it's done automatically. We usually use my phone, but at sea, it doesn't adjust itself. So if you don't do the adjusting, you'll be an hour early or an hour late.

No clocks in staterooms; just the phone and TV. One problem with the phone is that in order to see the time in a dark cabin you need to pick it up off the cradle so it lights up and then the light stays on for a bit. I like to set my ipad with a clock app so I can just glance at it if I wake up in the middle of the night.

The benefit of setting wake-up calls through the ship's system is you don't have to remember anything about time zones, as it's done automatically. We usually use my phone, but at sea, it doesn't adjust itself. So if you don't do the adjusting, you'll be an hour early or an hour late.

Guess you could say we are part of the older generation (Seniors) that actually know how to set our clocks :). In fact, we can even figure out how to manually set our iPhone clocks :).. But we do understand there are many out there who know longer know how to set clocks, use stairs, speak on a cell phone (they only text), etc. Lots of old skills are quickly disappearing :). And just imagine not being "connected" for a few days or weeks. We can do this with a smile and not even have any withdrawal symptoms. We even know how to dine (for hours) at a large table and carry on a conversation...without having to text. Oh my!

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Guess you could say we are part of the older generation (Seniors) that actually know how to set our clocks :). In fact, we can even figure out how to manually set our iPhone clocks :).. But we do understand there are many out there who know longer know how to set clocks, use stairs, speak on a cell phone (they only text), etc. Lots of old skills are quickly disappearing :). And just imagine not being "connected" for a few days or weeks. We can do this with a smile and not even have any withdrawal symptoms. We even know how to dine (for hours) at a large table and carry on a conversation...without having to text. Oh my!

Hank

Knowing how to do it and remembering to do it are apples and oranges.

Knowing how to do it and remembering to do it are apples and oranges.

That is a true dilemma. Those of us old enough to know how to set a clock are often too old to remember :D But when we take cruises about the only time we need to use an alarm or wake-up call is on that last disembarkation morning. Otherwise, we generally get up when we wake up. There are very few ports where we feel obligated to rush off the ship at 8am...and since we seldom to never take excursions that is not an issue. Last time we were in Livorno I had reserved a rental car...so I crawled out of bed, walked off the ship, completed the paperwork, got the car keys, walked back on the ship, and DW was still sound asleep :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

That is a true dilemma. Those of us old enough to know how to set a clock are often too old to remember :D But when we take cruises about the only time we need to use an alarm or wake-up call is on that last disembarkation morning. Otherwise, we generally get up when we wake up.....Hank

LOL! We do much the same. But setting a wake up call on the ship's telephone is easier and faster than setting it on one's own clock or phone.

Even that is not necessary however, if you order room service breakfast, or even just coffee, because they give you a wake up call in the morning to let you know that your order is on its way.

Hmm, for those who use the new technology, do you just say Alexa (or Suri, or whoever), give me a wake up call at xxxx o'clock Atlantic time?

But I don't think that would be any faster than simply setting the wakeup time on the phone in the stateroom.

Have to laugh at some posts because on our Panama Canal cruise they adjusted times forward and backwards several times. Old fart here, I can use the phone and the telephone. I just put the time in on the phone and let the ship wake me up..... oh forgot room service too :D

Have to laugh at some posts because on our Panama Canal cruise they adjusted times forward and backwards several times. Old fart here, I can use the phone and the telephone. I just put the time in on the phone and let the ship wake me up..... oh forgot room service too :D

Another one here. :)

All I do is punch 5 buttons on the phone and hang up.

(The wake up button, followed by 4 digits for the wake up time I want.)

I can't think of any other method of setting an alarm that would be faster or easier.

There is no concern about which time zone the ship is using when crossing time zones.

LOL! We do much the same. But setting a wake up call on the ship's telephone is easier and faster than setting it on one's own clock or phone.

Even that is not necessary however, if you order room service breakfast, or even just coffee, because they give you a wake up call in the morning to let you know that your order is on its way.

Hmm, for those who use the new technology, do you just say Alexa (or Suri, or whoever), give me a wake up call at xxxx o'clock Atlantic time?

But I don't think that would be any faster than simply setting the wakeup time on the phone in the stateroom.

If connected to the internet you can simply push the button and say "Siri, set an alarm for 7am." However, Siri falls asleep when she is not connected to the internet (which is the case for us on ships). But when Siri is working she is much easier and faster the setting up a wakeup call.

Hank

• 1 month later...

Showing my age.....I still pack a travel clock. :eek: But it's because DH gets the phone side of the bed and I'm the type that checks out the time every time I awaken and roll over. My phone stays locked in the safe for most of the cruise and the tablet is recharging on the desk.

We DO use the wake up call service and I set the alarm clock as the backup when we MUST get up earlier....rare.