Scotch

copi2boys

Agree, red label should only be used to remove rust stains.

Does anyone know if the JW blue label has the smart label that you can scan with your phone yet. I read they were going to start doing this a couple of years ago to help combat counterfeits.

I was on a Celebrity cruise and Celebrity had JWB for $99 a bottle without the box. I grab 2 of them right away. I have also bought the 2 bottles for $310. If you buy the 1st night you get 10% off. Back in Seattle 1 bottle of JWB goes for $270 USD.

I wouldn't give JW Red to someone I didn't like, it's that bad.

I wouldn't give it away either.

It comes in quite handy for cleaning paint brushes.

What kind of hoops did they make you jump through? I might buy a couple of bottles for gifts and would rather buy on ship as the chance of it being counterfeit on the islands seems a bit too high for me.

Does anyone know if the JW blue label has the smart label that you can scan with your phone yet. I read they were going to start doing this a couple of years ago to help combat counterfeits.

Not on the Equinox or in the two liquor stores in Saint Maarten I stopped in or bought from last month. How can you tell if a bottle is counterfeit?

Edited by ChucktownSteve

What kind of hoops did they make you jump through? I might buy a couple of bottles for gifts and would rather buy on ship as the chance of it being counterfeit on the islands seems a bit too high for me.

The bottles and boxes I bought in Saint Maarten or on the ship look identical except for the serial number. What determines a counterfeit? Even the boxes are quite complicated. I find it hard to counterfeit it accurately. The two liquor stores I shop at are on Boardwalk & Front Street. They've both been there for many years.

Neither of the stores will let you take pictures of their bottles/prices because they don't want you price matching on the ship. I had snapped a discreet picture before they told me no pictures.

The problem with the pictures were you couldn't clearly read the bottle size. So make sure any pics you take include size. Even if it's obvious, the ship uses that as an excuse not to match. The manager looked for the size on the poster I snapped but she couldn't find it. I showed her my receipt for the JW Blue but the receipt doesn't show the size either.

She took pictures of the pictures on my phone. She took my receipt and disappeared for 7-10 minutes to make a copy of it. When she returned, she was still hesitant. Now who would sell the 1L size for $99? It was obvious the size was 750ml.

When I boarded the ship with my bottle and went through the scanner, nobody on the ship asked for the bottle. I didn't see a liquor confiscation table so I took it to my cabin.

When the Manager was still hesitant to match, I asked if she wanted to see the bottle. She had me go to my cabin on deck 9 and bring it back. She then took pictures of both the box and bottle. Then she authorized the match price.

Quite frankly, if I hadn't had the non refundable OBC plus wanting to stick it to Celebrity on the price match from $310 to $198 for two bottles, I would have bought all three at the store in Saint Maarten. That way I would have had all three engraved for free.

My recommendation is to go very, very prepared if you want them to price match or you'll wind up empty handed. Celebrity's determination is final.

If you're giving them as gifts, having the person's name engraved on the bottle would make it even more special. The store that does that is named Captains. It's on Boardwalk in the building/pier where the water taxi docks.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

The bottles and boxes I bought in Saint Maarten or on the ship look identical except for the serial number. What determines a counterfeit? Even the boxes are quite complicated. I find it hard to counterfeit it accurately. The two liquor stores I shop at are on Boardwalk & Front Street. They've both been there for many years.

Neither of the stores will let you take pictures of their bottles/prices because they don't want you price matching on the ship. I had snapped a discreet picture before they told me no pictures.

The problem with the pictures were you couldn't clearly read the bottle size. So make sure any pics you take include size. Even if it's obvious, the ship uses that as an excuse not to match. The manager looked for the size on the poster I snapped but she couldn't find it. I showed her my receipt for the JW Blue but the receipt doesn't show the size either.

She took pictures of the pictures on my phone. She took my receipt and disappeared for 7-10 minutes to make a copy of it. When she returned, she was still hesitant. Now who would sell the 1L size for $99? It was obvious the size was 750ml.

When I boarded the ship with my bottle and went through the scanner, nobody on the ship asked for the bottle. I didn't see a liquor confiscation table so I took it to my cabin.

When the Manager was still hesitant to match, I asked if she wanted to see the bottle. She had me go to my cabin on deck 9 and bring it back. She then took pictures of both the box and bottle. Then she authorized the match price.

Quite frankly, if I hadn't had the non refundable OBC plus wanting to stick it to Celebrity on the price match from $310 to $198 for two bottles, I would have bought all three at the store in Saint Maarten. That way I would have had all three engraved for free.

My recommendation is to go very, very prepared if you want them to price match or you'll wind up empty handed. Celebrity's determination is final.

If you're giving them as gifts, having the person's name engraved on the bottle would make it even more special. The store that does that is named Captains. It's on Boardwalk in the building/pier where the water taxi docks.

Steve

I was one of the people that questioned you on your original thread.

We're on the two Eclipse cruises right after yours ( too bad we won't get to meet- I'd love to meet you and my husband could share a drink with you).

My husband drinks mostly Glenlivet and Macallan - it would be fun to get an engraved bottle (if we have the weight in our luggage). Does Captains engrave everything ?

We also have a TON of non-refundable OBC but there's no way we'd have enough weight allowance for 2 or 3 bottles![emoji33][emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Steve

I was one of the people that questioned you on your original thread.

We're on the two Eclipse cruises right after yours ( too bad we won't get to meet- I'd love to meet you and my husband could share a drink with you).

My husband drinks mostly Glenlivet and Macallan - it would be fun to get an engraved bottle (if we have the weight in our luggage). Does Captains engrave everything ?

We also have a TON of non-refundable OBC but there's no way we'd have enough weight allowance for 2 or 3 bottles![emoji33][emoji6]

I believe it's only a JW promotion but you could always ask. BTW they also gave me a polyester logo-ed JW bag to carry my purchase in.

Now you know why I drive to the FL ports. :D Since my spousal unit is coming with me this cruise, I can bring back 12 bottles of liquor. Actually I do 13 sometimes but they haven't charged me duty on that extra bottle yet. Stopping in Saint Maarten again. :cool: Last cruise I brought back eight bottles and wasn't charged duty. Totaled 6.25L.

I prefer the blend. For some reason my palate doesn't appreciate the single malt. I've tried. But I'd drink with him anyway. ;)

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I prefer the blend. For some reason my palate doesn't appreciate the single malt.

Perhaps what you mean is, you're yet to find a single malt or particular expression of one you do enjoy? Lord knows, there's enough of them when you start looking. :D

Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated.

I believe it's only a JW promotion but you could always ask. BTW they also gave me a polyester logo-ed JW bag to carry my purchase in.

Now you know why I drive to the FL ports. :D Since my spousal unit is coming with me this cruise, I can bring back 12 bottles of liquor. Actually I do 13 sometimes but they haven't charged me duty on that extra bottle yet. Stopping in Saint Maarten again. :cool: Last cruise I brought back eight bottles and wasn't charged duty. Totaled 6.25L.

I prefer the blend. For some reason my palate doesn't appreciate the single malt. I've tried. But I'd drink with him anyway. ;)

Perhaps what you mean is, you're yet to find a single malt or particular expression of one you do enjoy? Lord knows, there's enough of them when you start looking. :D

Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated.

Steve,

Just stay on for the Feb. 5th cruise and I'm sure my husband will be happy to make it his personal mission to find that single malt for you! :D;)

(He's definitely done that for our sons-in-law!!)

Steve,

Just stay on for the Feb. 5th cruise and I'm sure my husband will be happy to make it his personal mission to find that single malt for you! :D;)

(He's definitely done that for our sons-in-law!!)

As much as I'd like to, I think I'm kinda pushing it with my boss now. I did a 7 day in August, 10 day in December, 14 Day in two weeks and a 12 day this Aug 1st.

As it is, my coworkers just ask, when's your next cruise. :D They think I cruise more than I work since I only work 18 hrs a week. :eek:

On my December Equinox cruise we went to St. Thomas, St. Kitts & Saint Maarten among other ports. On the Live thread, some people said St. Thomas had the best prices. Another said St. Kitts did. I maintained Saint Maarten did. So I I did a comparison. Then posted it on my live. Here's a direct link to the comparisons of the various JW flavors.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51770338&postcount=182

I bought one bottle of JW Blue in Saint Maarten for $99. They etched my name on it for free and filled it with gold paint.

IMG_1816_zpsayxkkhi6.jpg

But since I had OBN credit, I made the ship's liquor store match the price so I got another two for $198 for "free."

IMG_1614_zpse93nnurf.jpg

Boy did they make me jump through hoops because they didn't want to discount from $310 to $198!!!! But I was prepared after they found a loop hole on a previous cruise. They even had to call a high level manager because the first one the store clerk called didn't have the authority to match that low a price.

Regarding the World Class Bar on my cruise. My first visit I walked up and asked, "Is the Johnny Walker Platinum included in the Premium Package?" They said yes and the rest was history. I would even get doubles to walk.

If you haven't tried JW XR21, I suggest you do. It's a 21 year old blend which is less expensive than Blue and I like it better.

I'm hoping the Eclipse in two weeks is the same as Equinox. I'm liquor shopping again in Saint. Maarten. Blue and XR21 doesn't go bad but it will be a few years before I get back there again. :D

I wouldn't give JW Red to someone I didn't like, it's that bad.

My wife was wanting some Blue and we had a lot of OBC but she couldn't stomach the price. If you only bought one it was $210 right (can't see the pic right now)? St Maarten was the best we found too. $99 a bottle delivered to the ship. Didn't need any more so never thought about negotiating on the ship.

But I agree, I think St Maarten has some of the best liquor prices.

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Reflection 7 day Caribbean Cruise (Puerto Rico, St Maarten, St Kitts). I spent most of my time at World Class Bar and Michaels Club and discovered late in the trip that Cellar Masters had some interesting sections. I had the premium package so I don't have prices for most (swipe, pour, sip, repeat). I took a picture of the menu at CM so that should provide a guide for the others. Michael's club was limited in selection. Mostly drank the Macallan but it was a great quiet place for my nightly night cap.

World Class Bar

Talisker 10

Lagavulin 16

Caol ila 12

JW Blue

JW Black

JW Double Black

JW King George 5th

JW XR 21yr

Michael's Club

Macallan Select Oak

Glenfiddich

Glenlivet

Crown royal

JW Black

JW Red

Bourbons at Michael's Club

Maker's Mark

Knobb creek

Cellar masters

Laphroaig 10 $12

Glenlivet Master Distillers Reserve $12

Macallan Select Oak $12

Macallan Whiskey Makers $20

Glenglassaugh 1960 $227

Just off the Reflection 7 day Caribbean Cruise (Puerto Rico, St Maarten, St Kitts). I spent most of my time at World Class Bar and Michaels Club and discovered late in the trip that Cellar Masters had some interesting sections. I had the premium package so I don't have prices for most (swipe, pour, sip, repeat). I took a picture of the menu at CM so that should provide a guide for the others. Michael's club was limited in selection. Mostly drank the Macallan but it was a great quiet place for my nightly night cap.

World Class Bar

Talisker 10

Lagavulin 16

Caol ila 12

JW Blue

JW Black

JW Double Black

JW King George 5th

JW XR 21yr

Michael's Club

Macallan Select Oak

Glenfiddich

Glenlivet

Crown royal

JW Black

JW Red

Bourbons at Michael's Club

Maker's Mark

Knobb creek

Cellar masters

Laphroaig 10 $12

Glenlivet Master Distillers Reserve $12

Macallan Select Oak $12

Macallan Whiskey Makers $20

Glenglassaugh 1960 $227

Thanks!

Did you ever go to the Ensemble bar?

I seem to remember them having the most Scotch.

Hi Karen

I can't comment too much on Ensemble. I walked through and looked at the display columns that they have and only saw similar (Macallan and his friends Glen F and Glen L) so I went back to WCB. I spent a lot of my time at Ensemble on the Infinity in 2015 since that did have a great selection.

I would also let you all know that some of the select scotches seem to require you asking about them. I asked about Lagavulin at WCB and it appeared. The Macallan in Michaels club was usually under the bar and required asking for it.

If you want something specific you may need to ask.

Thanks!

Interesting that none of the Scotchs are "years old" type (like 12 year, 15 year, 18 year)

I hope if we ask for those that they'll also be under the bar. ;)

Oh and DEFINITELY GO BLUE !!!!!!

Edited by chamima

Karen - sorry for the confusion. The numbers next to the list are the ages not the $. So the Lagavulin 16 is the 16 Year. Macallan select oak was the disappointment. its the only one on the ship. No 12, 15 or 21 to be found. :'(

Yea - another Wolverine!

JW are All Blends

JW Red not worth the keystrokes. :mad:

JW Black 12 yr

JW Green 15 yr

JW Gold used to be 15 or 18 yr but since 2012 no age statement on label.

JW Platinum 18 yr.

JW Blue no age given but some say 25 yr. The most expensive of the JW brand

JW & Sons XR21 21yr (I likie)

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I can confirm JW Black belongs to Premium. If you want a similar 12 years scotch, you can have Chivas Regal with the classic pacakge. You can also get Dewar's White Label, which is better than JW Red.

Karen - sorry for the confusion. The numbers next to the list are the ages not the $. So the Lagavulin 16 is the 16 Year. Macallan select oak was the disappointment. its the only one on the ship. No 12, 15 or 21 to be found. :'(

Yea - another Wolverine!

I know a couple of Scots who'd want you're head on a stick for not mentioning the 18. ;) It's in a completely different league when compared to earlier expressions. :)

Sadly like many other distilleries Macallan have started to move away from age statement whisky as they simply cannot keep up with global demand. Going forward you can expect to see a lot more NAS hitting the shelves.

I just wish we'd see at least one expression from Ardbeg and Dalmore with the massive increase in popularity with the former in recent years I'm surprised they've not done this already for fans of Islay whisky.

I know a couple of Scots who'd want you're head on a stick for not mentioning the 18. ;) It's in a completely different league when compared to earlier expressions. :)

Sadly like many other distilleries Macallan have started to move away from age statement whisky as they simply cannot keep up with global demand. Going forward you can expect to see a lot more NAS hitting the shelves.

I just wish we'd see at least one expression from Ardbeg and Dalmore with the massive increase in popularity with the former in recent years I'm surprised they've not done this already for fans of Islay whisky.

They will get their chance in October. [emoji15]

I am a big fan of those Islay's. Never really liked the Speyside. My wife and daughter say my favorite flavor is dirt. I prefer "earthy"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app