does HA always sail full?

sunshine100

When a ship lists a capacity, does this mean a projected two person per room capacity? Or a full available bed capacity, that can absorb up to that top number with more than two people in a cabin?

The real determiner is life-boat capacity. If no one has said that already.

I think that capacity is about the same as 2person/room, so if there are a number of 3 or 4 people in room, they actually have to leave other rooms EMPTY.

We sailed 2 weeks around Cape Horn (no Antarctica) on the Zaandam and it was only about half full! I forget the numbers, but it was a little eerie! the venues were so sparsely populated.

Service was great though!

The real determiner is life-boat capacity. If no one has said that already.

I think that capacity is about the same as 2person/room, so if there are a number of 3 or 4 people in room, they actually have to leave other rooms EMPTY.

We sailed 2 weeks around Cape Horn (no Antarctica) on the Zaandam and it was only about half full! I forget the numbers, but it was a little eerie! the venues were so sparsely populated.

Service was great though!

Crystal,

I believe the life boat capacity is much greater than the total number of beds on a cruise. In addition to the regular life boats every ship has inflatables as well. They have to have a large passenger capacity in case some boats cannot be launched in an emergency. This can happen when a ship is listing (leaning to one side). If the listing is bad, boats can only be launched from one side.

With this thread in mind and maybe just looking for something to do, I decided to do a little research.

The Veendam lists her capacity at 1350.

Trying to do a reasonable job of counting the cabins on each deck, I came up with a total of 671 cabins, which is just short (by 4 cabins) of the number of cabins which would hold 1350 passengers at double occupancy for each cabin.

I also counted the number of symbols for triples and quads, and if each cabin was filled to its limit that would add around 220 passengers, for a total of 1570. I don't know if it is possible to find the lifeboat capacity.

With this thread in mind and maybe just looking for something to do, I decided to do a little research.

Trying to do a reasonable job of counting the cabins on each deck, I came up with a total of 671 cabins, which is just short (by 4 cabins) of the number of cabins which would hold 1350 passengers at double occupancy for each cabin.

I also counted the number of symbols for triples and quads, and if each cabin was filled to its limit that would add around 220 passengers, for a total of 1570. I don't know if it is possible to find the lifeboat capacity.

Uhhh... is this where we tell you we think it is time for you to take a nice long cruise? :cool:

(Actually, thanks for this hunt and peck research data - heroic, really)

Uhhh... is this where we tell you we think it is time for you to take a nice long cruise? :cool:

(Actually, thanks for this hunt and peck research data - heroic, really)

Actually, I left the Prinsendam yesterday after 16 days - really wanted to stay!

Ready for the next one which isn't too far off but only 7 days.

Rich - to save yourself some counting in the future, bookmark this link:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/news/FastFacts.pdf

It says 675 cabins, including the 185 triples and 87 quads for a max pax of 1709. :D

Edited by jtl513

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/news/FastFacts.pdf :D

Very interesting link. I see the Eurodam and the NA are pretty similar in passengers numbers compared to the Vista ships, but both have considerably more crew cabins than the Vistas.

Wonder how this will show up in service levels, or will it be found in added on activities. Of course, they also have the additional Tamarind restaurant venue which is not available on the Vistas.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/news/FastFacts.pdf

It says 675 cabins, including the 185 triples and 87 quads for a max pax of 1709. :D

I had looked a little for a fact sheet like that but couldn't find it. Lots of good information.

It does back up the assertion that the listed capacity is for all "lower berths" to be filled and doesn't put anyone in the third or fourth berth.

The little bit of food savings would be more than offset by huge losses from fewer cocktail, wine, and other beverage sales. Not to mention losses from excursions, photos, specialty restaurants, and all of the other things that cost extra. Is it no wonder, cruise lines try to discourage single travelers?

As several of us solo cruisers have stated previously, I'll put my onboard spending to any comparison test. I spend on internet packages, good wine (and I need to drink the bottle or it will spoil), wine tastings, and spa appointments. Plus, since I travel solo, I tend to book more HAL excursions than the average couple, and I don't look for the cheap ones, either.

Let us not forget crew comes with the passengers in the life boats.

I believe most of the crew are assigned to the inflatable life rafts- the barrels you see in racks on the ship. The lifeboats have a number of crew assigned to each life boat as "crew", but most crew go on the inflatable life rafts.