Get ready for Ocean Medallion Class™

IECalCruiser

so, is this a new member level, or is it simply a service you will have to pay extra for?

Looks like a service you pay extra for. I don't really see the value in it for us, but it might be to some folks.

No charge for it. They're hoping it'll spur sales to make up for the installation costs.....like ease of booking tours, specialty dinners, drinks, etc.

It appears as though it'll reduce bookkeeping greatly with much less mistakes.

That's where this could be of benefit. If they chose to enforce AD policy, scanners could ping TD diners discreetly as they entered as an example.

There are a ton of ways this could be used for good or ill. We'll just have to see what they do.

They can't keep traditional diners from the anytime dining room yet their going to make this work?

Attached is the "Princess Medallion w/Ribbon for Formal Wear". What if the ribbon colors could correspond to the Colors of the wearers National Flag?

Seriously,Do not take me serious.

Hahahaha! I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One wonders what will happen when someone "accidentally" loses their medallion over the side while at sea. Will the emergency "man overboard" signals go off in the bridge? Will the ship do an emergency stop until the find the passenger (or not), etc?

It would be the same as putting it into an RFID wallet.

I can't stand the thought of wearing a nerdy necklace to hold a medallion but I'll improvise a small clipped belt pouch for mine or just keep it in my pocket.

It'll be easy to find if I lose it.

I have seen a few passengers who may be able to "fashionably" wear it in their naval the way some belly dancers were a "jewel". Pretty snazzy at the pool. :D

I wonder if they will sell the flares, flowery shirt and faux chest hair to make the medallion man complete?:rolleyes:

Hey now! Don't go picking on my Tommy Bahama shirts!!! :eek:

That's where this could be of benefit. If they chose to enforce AD policy, scanners could ping TD diners discreetly as they entered as an example.

There are a ton of ways this could be used for good or ill. We'll just have to see what they do.

Discreet, heck zap them with a bolt from a taser or have a loud recording say "Go away you are not welcome here. " or both.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No.

Everyone gets a medallion. Ribbon optional. The medallion will be in the color corresponding to your loyalty level. And there will be fashion boutique medallion inserts so you can hang it on your gold chain, or on a cheesy colored lanyard, without putting a hole in the medallion. So PAX, and crew staff will know and easily identify for example, Elite privileged cruisers, and those with lesser status.

Happy cruising in 2017, and God willing, beyond. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

This is just one more item for people to get used to - kind of like indoor plumbing. That was a pretty big innovation. Many people were of the "who in heck needs that?" group when inside toilet facilities were new.

Most cruise lines haven't yet figured out how to get the toilets to flush properly -- maybe CCL should focus on getting the basics right before continuing to ramp-up the bells and whistles.

Most cruise lines haven't yet figured out how to get the toilets to flush properly -- maybe CCL should focus on getting the basics right before continuing to ramp-up the bells and whistles.

That was kind of my thinking, too.

One good aspect of this from the perspective of the crew is that your room steward will know you aren't in your cabin so it's a good time to do the cabin service. You won't need to hang out a tag on the door handle to let the steward know the cabin is available for service.

I would imagine the bar staff will be happy to not have to get signatures for each drink. They also won't glance at your card and then accidentally transpose numbers when they input it to the terminal. Many people have experienced being charged for drinks that weren't theirs due to a busy bartender making this error.

One wonders what will happen when someone "accidentally" loses their medallion over the side while at sea. Will the emergency "man overboard" signals go off in the bridge? Will the ship do an emergency stop until the find the passenger (or not), etc?

You will need to go to GS to dispute all those drinks that the thirsty fish have charged to your account...:rolleyes:

They'll need some sort of electronic signature to prove you knew you purchased a drink or an item that they charged you for. This in the customers best interest. No signature no pay. If they try and do away with this how will you dispute those drinks you you did not buy? If you have drink package then no signature required as you don't get charged. I love the rfid wallet idea. Where'd he go? He's back..... no gone again.....it won't be part of their man over board system for that reason. I can see 4 drunk young men tossing them overboard to test it.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

When I have changed my dining, the maitre d' has gone to

a big paper map of the dining room -- erased my name at

one table, and written it in at another table.

Sometimes, he writes the change on a sticker, and I put it

on the back of my cruise card.

I don't see this manual system working well with an automated

medallion.

I'm very excited about this new technology. I love the idea of not having to fumble for my card or having it deactivated several times a cruise!

I'm so excited, in fact, that I've started to look at cruises for next winter just so I can try it out vs. the land based trip to Hawaii we were considering.

Anything that makes my cruise experience even easier, I'm all for! And I'm really not worried about the privacy. They already have a crap ton of data and it is not to the personal level as much as trends...how many people attend certain events, etc. Think of the times we have been crammed into small lounges for things that should have been in a larger venue...and the larger venue had something boring no one wanted to attend? Now the CD's and others can have facts and data to make those decisions (or they can't fib about how often something is or isn't attended!). Entertainment should improve as they will have actual data on how often people leave during a show/entertainer or stay until the very end. Their Customer Experience people will have some actual facts instead of assumptions and/or false stories to make the decisions of who to book on their ships--all based off our behaviors--which should mean higher quality acts being booked.

I guess that's all my opinion, coming from someone who works in Customer Experience for a Top 10 company. I can see some wonderful changes if they choose to use the data the way they could. And none of it really needs to be down to the individual level....except maybe categorizing on demographics so they know what groups like what "stuff". This includes the "free" and "included" options onboard.

The cruise lines do have it figured out.

It's the people who insist on flushing items they haven't eaten first that cause all the problems.

For those who are going to discard their medallion or leave it in their cabin, How do you plan to access your cabin or are you going to lock yourself in there for the entire cruise? :eek: wiithout further information, I am pretty sure a password/PIN will be needed to access things like directions to your cabin.[/:rolleyes:quote]

Some of your comments I agree with (e.g. luddites) but the point above is covered by the statement in the original post that basically said "If someone doesn't want to use the medallion, they don't have to." To me that pretty much says that those people will be able to use an alternative method (probably the "old" cruise card :confused:) perhaps? If the cruise line(s) end up going with the medallion, will the alternative stay around for ever? Probably not, but perhaps so. Who knows, this whole medallion concept may turn out to be a bust and will be one of those "Do you remember way back when they tried that 'medallion' thing on a couple of lines? Anybody still have one of those?" subjects that will pop up every once in awhile on CC in the year 2037 or so. :D

I am a federal employee and when some of my relatives and friends express fears of "Big Brother" watching, I tell them don't compliment yourself, you ain't that important, but if you are feeling neglected try skipping paying taxes then "big Brother" will be interested. [/:rolleyes:quote]

Yep, very true. Kind of like the comment that says "Those people who worry so much about what people think about them would really be surprised if they knew how little people thought about them at all." :p

Me? I'm going on one of the Regal Medallion cruises this coming November to see how this system is going to affect passenger services at the pier.

Tom

I'm expecting some ancilliary upgrades to other systems as part of this to take advantage of the features, I strongly expect DR management will be one of them (no point in putting 'I prefer coke at dinner' if the servers cannot see it. For that to work your ID would have to be matched to a table prior to seating. I suspect it will be a system similar to what RCCL has.

That said on a more simple level, the system could alert the headwaiter a diner was in TD and using AD and the headwaiter could choose to interject if appropriate.

When I have changed my dining, the maitre d' has gone to

a big paper map of the dining room -- erased my name at

one table, and written it in at another table.

Sometimes, he writes the change on a sticker, and I put it

on the back of my cruise card.

I don't see this manual system working well with an automated

medallion.

They can mail me a medallion tag me but I still have to print my bag tags from home! :D

No, actually, you don't. It's a lot easier to do it that way usually, but you don't have to. You can always get tags at the pier. Lots of people do for one reason or another. :p But, then, I'm sure you knew that. Hmm, maybe that will be the next step, they send you little medallions for you to put on your bags and then once they get the bags on the ship, they just load them on to robot carts which automatically take the bags to the correct stateroom where they're off-loaded and left at your door! See? Now if this medallion thing takes off, you can submit that as Step 2 of the program and get an award for your idea! Well, it sounds like a good plan anyway. :rolleyes:

Tom

Attached is the "Princess Medallion w/Ribbon for Formal Wear". What if the ribbon colors could correspond to the Colors of the wearers National Flag?

Seriously,Do not take me serious.

I wear only miniature medals when in formal attire. Do you have that in miniature?? :o)

Edited by UpcountryTravelers

Interestingly, we are already booked on the Caribbean Princess (for the 4th time) on the exact cruise when they introduce the medallions. I would imagine there will be LOTS of first time oopses.

Going to be interesting. We will find out more long before then, I imagine.

And we are booked into a basic balcony, not "Medallion Class", whatever that might mean. Lots of conflicting "information" on that term.

One good aspect of this from the perspective of the crew is that your room steward will know you aren't in your cabin so it's a good time to do the cabin service. You won't need to hang out a tag on the door handle to let the steward know the cabin is available for service.

Just because I (or rather, my medallion) is not in the cabin for the moment doesn't mean I want it serviced; hanging out the tag does.