My Summit Review is on the Celebrity Board ~ Take a Peek!

HeatherInFlorida

First, forgive me for being won over by Celebrity. I've posted my review of our recent Panama Canal cruise on the Celebrity board and here's a link since many of you have asked me for it: Review of Summit Panama Canal Eastbound 14-Night Cruise ~ 10-23-05 thru 11-6-05 - Cruise Critic Message Boards

I'm not ruling HAL out for a longer cruise, but we are done with 7-day cruises overall.

I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone here on the HAL board for your support during the first week of our cruise. We could not get any information from home during Wilma and I don't know what I would have done without my thread here on the HAL board where so many of you tried to ease my fears, show your concern and lend support. Our anxiety for our home and our friends was the only "fly in the ointment" during our entire cruise. But better money was never spent than this cruise taking us away from the horror of Wilma. The devastation here was massive.

Please don't flame me for loving Celebrity! HAL is still high on the list; a close second. It's just that we feel the service on Celebrity and the ambiance in general is just a cut above.

Thanks again!!! I'll be posting pics soon as well.

Great review, Heather. Happy you had such a good cruise. It sounds like it was wonderful.

“ACUPUNCTURE AT SEA”

If you’ve ever considered acupuncture and just haven’t done it, this is a wonderful time to try it. They had several lectures explaining the process and I decided to bite the bullet and try it. I found it very helpful and plan to continue now that I’m back home

One thing I wonder about is the acupuncture you wrote about. What was this about. I've heard of people having acupuncture for migrane headaches, backaches etc Did you try this as a medical treatment or is it for relaxation or something else entirely?

Hi, Sail! You can have acupuncture for a number of things including general well being, anxiety and many other common ailments. I suffer from spinal stenosis and arthritis in my left leg following an auto accident and have bad pain ... especially when I travel and walk more than I usual.

Acupuncture has been found to be the most successful for pain and so I had it for that. They say you can get results in 1 treatment, but generally it takes 2 or 3. You do have to continue for awhile and eventually just go on a maintenance program.

I felt a definite improvement the day after the first treatment so continued with all 3 treatments. It was just a very convenient way to try it because they were right there and I had all the time in the world:) . It's certainly not a cure-all (IMO), but I felt a difference and still do.

Please don't flame me for loving Celebrity! HAL is still high on the list; a close second. It's just that we feel the service on Celebrity and the ambiance in general is just a cut above.

Thanks for the comprehensive review. I really enjoyed reading it.

I am taking my first Celebrity cruise next month ... a five-day affair that's part of a Cruise University program for new home-based travel agents. It's on one of their older ships, the Zenith, so it probably won't have quite the ammenities that your ship had. But after reading your review, I'm looking forward to trying Celebrity even more.

As for seven-day cruises ... I've never actually taken one! I just can't see the sense of flying to a port and only spending seven days on the ship. So, the only seven-dayer I've been on was part of a b2b of 14 days. I would not rule out a seven-day itinerary though if it departed from right here in Philly.

I think generally you are better off with longer cruises because you get far less kids and groups on them, thus ... at least for me ... making for a much more relaxing and pleasant cruise experience.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I agree, Rita. You also tend to get people who really enjoy cruising on the longer cruises. Sometimes there are more people just looking for a good time on the shorter cruises. Not saying there's anything wrong with that; it's just not the experience we're looking for.

Steve, I don't have your email address but I'd really have to think hard about mentioning the name of the beach. But I'll be posting my pictures soon and you'll see the beach. If you still want to know more about it, email me and I'll give you some clues;) .

If you still want to know more about it, email me and I'll give you some clues;) .
Aw...come on now Heather, curious minds want to know :) ...all of the beaches in Aruba are public and if US officials have their way :rolleyes: , some of us tourists will have those beaches all to ourselves anyway :D

Steve, you probably don't have "signatures" enabled. My email is there. Write me at HeathersIsland@aol.com.

Lisa, yes all beaches in Aruba are public. But the hotels have a right to tell you that their chaises and umbrellas, etc., are for hotel guests only. This beach is at a hotel that does not rent out, but they were nice enough to accommodate the four of us. If they were to get innundated by all the cruise passengers in droves, they might not be so happy.

The reason I haven't mentioned the name of the beach is that John Howell specifically asked me not to. The beach is not on the maps.

Palm Beach is lovely and several friends on our cruise went there and absolutely loved it. After our experience in Cabo we longed to get away from all the ship traffic and enjoy some quiet time. I'm going to attach a picture taken as I lay on my chaise (if I can) and maybe you'll see what I mean.

Heather, when we were on the Oosterdam in the Med during its first season there were FOUR glass elevators. I was very surprised - make that shocked - to read in your review that HAL apparently had two of them removed.

Sorry, Ted. I said it wrong:o ... I meant 2 on each side of Oosterdam and they're much smaller. Celebrity's are larger and all 4 are on one side with 2 in the center. So they stick out over the water with the 2 farthest out literally having glass all around.

I could swear I took a picture, but now I can't find it. If I do, I'll post it so you can see what I mean.

I had a problem on HAL because I would stand in the center of the ship, watch for the arrow and run to the starboard or the port depending on where the elevator showed up.

Heather,

Wonderful review! I would have to agree with you 100%. Celebrity and HAL are our two favorite cruise lines. I do think Celebrity wins out in dining room cuisine and over all service. HAL has a great Lido, outstanding bedding and excellent customer service people. I would rate Celebrity #1 and HAL #2, with RCL, Princess and NCL all a distant third. December, 2006, we are looking at doing the Millennium BtoB with the Westerdam. Doesn't get any better than that!:rolleyes: :)

Enjoy!

Kel

Lisa, see my explanation just above your post. I knew there were 2 on either side, but since I was on the port side I really only think about those. We're always on the port side.

Found the pix!!! One shows the elevators from the outside and one from inside. So here they are (I hope):

Heather, I always enjoy reading your posts and have been waiting for your Summit review. It was wonderful! And thanks so much for sharing. We are trying the Infinity next month in a Celebrity Suite so needless to say, we are really anxious and your review is making us even "worse". I just had to let you know that I especially enjoyed the pic of you on the beach..........

Yorkies Rule, I'm wondering what is a Celebrity Suite? Is that the Royal Suite or the Sky Suite? They're both wonderful. You will love your cruise!

I just took another look at that picture on the beach and decided I needed to explain a little something?06 .... those are my KNEES!!!!!

Heather - The Celebrity Suites are on the hump (opposite side of the elevators) and have ceiling to floor windows and as there are only 2 of these suites on each deck, that's a whole lot of windows! LR, DR, separate BR. We just can't wait to see it and live in it for a week. Only negative is that there is no balcony which is why we are trying it out on a cooler temp. cruise. Hopefully we won't miss the balcony quite so much.

I kinda' figured those were your knees..... hee hee.

Your review sure was great to read and pls. know I was thinking about you the whole time you away, concerned about your home. Was sure glad to hear things were not as bad as they could have been and that you were still able to enjoy your cruise.

Heather,

Thanks for pointing the way to your review. I am so glad you had such a wonderful time and that photo of the beach is just fantastic.

I have wanted to try both Celebrity and Crystal for a long time. In the next few years I will definitely be looking at their itineraries.

I am so glad everything worked out for you. By the way I always enjoy your posts.

Jennie

Janice, I'd love to help but you may remember I'm not a Halloween fan? They had parties starting Saturday. There was a Masquerade Party and the had a mask making event for those who didn't bring masks. You could definitely see if HAL could help you with that. I know people had fun doing it. They had another party on Halloween itself, but I didn't go. I know!!! I'm no fun at all!:( It's just me ... I find Halloween depressing for some reason.

Yorkies Rule, so nice of you! Thanks for thinking of us. We were so lucky not to be here and experience it. After I asked you about the Celebrity Suite, I looked it up (could have done that to begin with) and then remembered what they were. They look awesome! I would miss the balcony, but as you say what a perfect time to try it ... in a cold climate. Let us know how it is!

If I had all the money in the world, I'd go for the Royal Suite ... awesome!

Give it a whirl, Marie! I think you'd enjoy Celebrity, but I also have to say I know a lot of HAL loyalists that don't like it. We're all individuals, of course, and look for different things.

Funny thing is that while I booked a 10-day Celebrity for next December, I'm now torn looking at a Volendam 10-Day Southern Caribbean on 11/13/06. The price is considerably less for a comparable stateroom, but the itinerary isn't quite as appealing. So we'll have to see!!!:)

Heather: Great review. We too love Celebrity and the Summit. While X is our first choice we still enjoy HAL. The service and food on X are better and so are the little extras not provided on HAL. As they say "to each his own". but everyone should try another cruiseline for comparison.

Archived