Pride of America disembark?

tseitel

I'm wondering about this also. Will we be able to make a noon flight?

A noon flight is OK. The airport is less than 15 minutes from the port.

Remember, All luggage that is being checked on the airplane needs to be scanned had an agricultural station prior to entering the ticketing area. All and carry bags will be scanned at the security checkpoint. Unauthorized plants, fresh fruits, animals will be confiscated and your subject to a fine for trying to smuggle them out of Hawaii.

I was wondering the same thing. We always carry our own luggage off and have been able to be cleared from NCL Getaway in Miami by 8am. Is that a possibility on POA. We would like to make a 11am flight. Is that crazy?

That is doable, if the ships dock on schedule, has no clearance problem, you self disembark schlepping your luggage, get a taxi or private transportation, no road problems and smooth airport security clearance. Otherwise, you might be better off with a noon or later flight.

... Is that a possibility on POA. We would like to make a 11am flight ...

Like poster above said, "That is doable, if everything ..." as far as getting off the POA with all of your own luggage early, doing the Express

You are basically coming off an inter-island ferry, no immigration and no custom checkpoints to slow you down. The rest, is beyond NCLA's control.

Keep in mind that there's the extra x-ray screening needed for agricultural inspection (pineapple & papaya, etc.) for all flights going to the U.S. mainland, before you can complete airline & luggage check-in, before getting to TSA security & proceeding to the gate for boarding ... lines can be long and slow.

Mahalo :cool:

Edited by mking8288

• 5 weeks later...
Just curious - if we do the self-disembark off the POA will we have to "carry" our luggage at any point or will it be all elevators and ramps where we can "roll" it? ;)

Thanks!

At no point did we have to carry our luggage. You may have to wait a bit for an elevator on the ship, but once off, no problem.

At no point did we have to carry our luggage. You may have to wait a bit for an elevator on the ship, but once off, no problem.

Thanks! I figured that would be the case but I wanted to be sure. I'm not known for being a light packer. :p

So... is there any disadvantage to doing the self-disembark? We're not necessarily in a hurry. I'm planning on booking a late flight so we have the day on Oahu. But I would like to maximize the day.

Since the POA is a "smaller" ship, there never seemed to be the crowds we have experienced on any cruise. I can't imagine you will have any problem debarking whenever you want to. And since there is no customs to pass through, it was easy off.

• 2 months later...
A noon flight is OK. The airport is less than 15 minutes from the port.

Remember, All luggage that is being checked on the airplane needs to be scanned had an agricultural station prior to entering the ticketing area. All and carry bags will be scanned at the security checkpoint. Unauthorized plants, fresh fruits, animals will be confiscated and your subject to a fine for trying to smuggle them out of Hawaii.

What about bringing back seashells? Will they confiscate and assume I am a seashell smuggler?