Pay with cash or credit cards....

kayjay76

Hi all again cause I have another question of the million I could ask lol

We know we will not be using our debit cards for anything having to do with cruise. So my question is this.... Should I transfer our saved cash to a major credit card to pay for everything having to deal with the ship? Then keep some cash for when we get off ship?

Any advice on how everyone pays for everything would be great!

Thank you!!

We have had a pretty weird experience with Norwegian, we have sailed with them many times now and we always use the same Southwest credit card to book/pay for the cruise and of course the room is all paid upfront but until the last couple years we did not have the UBP and between the 3 of us we accrued a $3-$4,000 bill on board each cruise and they have never "held" any money from our card and do not even charge the card until 1-2 weeks after the cruise?!?!? When we have sailed on other cruise lines they have always put the "hold/authorization" on the card.

I went to guest services and put $100 cash down. I prepaid everything (prepaid gratuity, spa pass, spa services, etc) plus I had OBC that I had to use too. I had my credit card and more cash just in case. I actually had to go to guest services the last day of the cruise to get a refund because I didn't spend all of the $100. So the $300 deposit is only a suggestion not a requirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have had a pretty weird experience with Norwegian, we have sailed with them many times now and we always use the same Southwest credit card to book/pay for the cruise and of course the room is all paid upfront but until the last couple years we did not have the UBP and between the 3 of us we accrued a $3-$4,000 bill on board each cruise and they have never "held" any money from our card and do not even charge the card until 1-2 weeks after the cruise?!?!? When we have sailed on other cruise lines they have always put the "hold/authorization" on the card.

If you had that level of a bill, they were putting pre-authorization holds on your card. Many cards don't show those until there is actually a pending transaction. Holds are put on every time u get gas, go to a hotel, rent a car, etc; any time you swipe your card before the final bill is known. they never end up on your statement and won't necessarily even show up on your account if you check it every day.

We know we will not be using our debit cards for anything having to do with cruise. So my question is this.... Should I transfer our saved cash to a major credit card to pay for everything having to deal with the ship? Then keep some cash for when we get off ship?

It sounds like you are carrying a balance on your credit card. In the long run you'll do better to pay that down than to carry cash on a regular basis. When you don't have a balance, charging items to your card means you don't pay interest at all. You aren't charged interest if you pay your balance in full by the due date. (And if you are, go get a better card right away!!)

When you are paying off your card you can also take advantage of other offers. My Costco Visa card will pay me back 3% of all travel-related purchases, so I paid for my cruise with that card and plan to use it for my shipboard account.

If I were you, I would put the saved money onto the credit card to pay down your balance NOW. That will save you whatever interest you'd accrue between now and your cruise. Then when your cruise charges come thru, you'll be back to the same balance but you've had some time with a lower balance. Then work on paying down that balance as fast as you can.

Once you pay off your credit card balance, you'll have 15% to 25% more money -- because you're not paying that interest. Really, credit card interest is very bad for you. Pay it off and then you can afford to cruise more often! :p

Our Debit cards, and I'm guessing most in the US, are Visa or MasterCard managed. Don't know how they are possibly easier to steal or clone. We receive the same anti-fraud and consumer protections as regular credit cards with no monthly bills, credit limits, interest pmts, or any other fees. Maybe some banks have restrictions ours doesn't.

If you check, you'll find that consumer protection laws for debit cards are not the same as credit cards. You're bank may offer their customers the same protections, or it may appear that way (you won't know for sure until/unless you have a problem which hopefully never happens) but they are not required by law to do so.

Sure, but all cards are easy to clone/steal. And no doubt you can get the fraudulent charges reversed. But when I make a purchase using my debit card 'as a credit card', as in I don't enter my pin. The amount still shows up as a deduction from my checking account. So if someone steals the card and makes several large transactions, my checking account will be empty and any regularly scheduled bill payments or checks I have written will bounce/not get paid. So now you have bounced check fees and late payment fees from other companies.

While I'm sure it will ultimately get fixed, it will be a much larger headache than a credit card. With a credit card the charges stay in a separate account and don't come out of my checking until I pay the bill. So if I get my statement and there's $5,000 in purchases I didn't make, can resolve that directly with the cc company, will never need that money to come out of my checking.

We had our debit card cloned and bounced 3 checks. Within 3 days, Chase had returned all of the fraudulent charges, returned the bounced check fees and offered to contact the recipients of the bounced checks.

OP, if overspending is your concern, bring cash and put it on your account as you need it. I've done this when my kids were on the account in order to avoid surprises at checkout. I've never been told there is a minimum.

Great insight from all, thank you so much for your replies!!

No, we don't have huge credit debt, no, we don't plan on having many on board charges... just Vibe passes if lucky! lol. Cruise has been paid for months and service charges paid. We have drink package. will pay cash for all else.

All I really wanted to know is if they hold a large amount on c/c. My hubby freaks with stuff like that until its taken off and wanted to save myself the insanity of having to listen to him complain about something ive told him a many times while planning. Fellow Wives i'm sure you can understand that!! lol

As far as the debit discussion... NCL is the first to suggest not using a debit card. Like another poster stated... trying to reverse fraud charges on a debit is 10xs harder than a c/c.

Maybe a silly question.... is there an atm on board? and if so, what is the fee?

Thanks again everyone!!!! I'm 40, said I would never ever in my life set sail on a boat and broke down and said yes when 26 of our adult family and friends booked this and said what the hell! Why not!!!

Great insight from all, thank you so much for your replies!!

No, we don't have huge credit debt, no, we don't plan on having many on board charges... just Vibe passes if lucky! lol. Cruise has been paid for months and service charges paid. We have drink package. will pay cash for all else.

All I really wanted to know is if they hold a large amount on c/c. My hubby freaks with stuff like that until its taken off and wanted to save myself the insanity of having to listen to him complain about something ive told him a many times while planning. Fellow Wives i'm sure you can understand that!! lol

As far as the debit discussion... NCL is the first to suggest not using a debit card. Like another poster stated... trying to reverse fraud charges on a debit is 10xs harder than a c/c.

Maybe a silly question.... is there an atm on board? and if so, what is the fee?

Thanks again everyone!!!! I'm 40, said I would never ever in my life set sail on a boat and broke down and said yes when 26 of our adult family and friends booked this and said what the hell! Why not!!!

Yes there is an ATM and the fee is about $6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Debit cards, and I'm guessing most in the US, are Visa or MasterCard managed. Don't know how they are possibly easier to steal or clone. We receive the same anti-fraud and consumer protections as regular credit cards with no monthly bills, credit limits, interest pmts, or any other fees. Maybe some banks have restrictions ours doesn't.

Your debit cards are limited to the amount of cash you have where as a credit card will give you a large limit which is especially useful in emergencies ...but I digress

The fact is that with debit cards....

if they are cloned/hacked it's your money that you have no access to until it's cleared up with the bank. This could cause checks to bounce and severely limit your ability to get cash

If a credit card is cloned all you need to do is use a different credit card until it's settled

You are not out any cash and there are no worries about checks bouncing

Also once a debit card clone is reported to the bank they freeze your account. You must open a new one. It's a hassle especially if reported while on vacay. Worse yet if not reported or recognized immediately...the bad guys now have more time to totally drain your account

I was lucky in my case they only got $600 because I checked the account from my iPad and immediately reported it and immediately transferred out the money still left in my Checking to my savings account that I purposely DID NOT link to my debit card.

Had I not noticed this on the night before our 12 day out of Venice they would have drained the entire...of course limited funded...account

Good thing I knew to travel with a secondary back up debit card (for cash purposes only)

Also good thing I subscribe to the "bring plenty of euro/$$ from home just in case something happens" philosophy

Once you report a credit card hack you just cut the card up and start using a different one

ALL and I mean ALL seasoned travelers know this and know to limit debit card usage to the occasional secure atm usage for cash purposes

And ALL seasoned travelers know to have a separate travel account with a limited amount of cash in it for travel needs ( $3000 or less perhaps?) from their regular checking account and use at least 2 travel only credit cards

My words are harsh but true and while ALL seasoned travelers know the above that does mean they follow it or agree with it

That doesn't change the fact that my points are useful and offer good advice though

For the once in a lifetime cruisers just do whatever you are comfortable with as you will more than likely be fine

Edited by luvtheships

It's not the CRUISE LINE that places "holds"...it's your BANK. With credit cards, you may see a "pending charge", but that falls off as soon as the actual charge goes through...as long as you have a good cushion, you won't even notice it.

Debit cards are different....your bank will put a 'hold" on any pending charges, and they won't release them for a longer time....they want to make sure you don't have checks out there that will come in and affect your balance....

Cash is king. I would use the credit card for my shipboard account...pay the cruise charges off in full when you get home. Bring the cash you'll need for tips, and port spending...

My last cruise I bought NCL gift cards for our OBA. Made it super simple and didn't need to carry lots of cash. Didn't need to put a card on our account when we checked in. I had a bit left over and used it toward our next cruise.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

Thank you for this post.

Perhaps I will call NCL over the next week or so and purchase OBC with the cash I have put aside. It will already be on my account when I board and it will save a trip to Guest Services. Is that correct?

Ill put down a credit card at check in but hopefully wont have to use. Thanks so much!

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Forums mobile app

Use a CC and just pay the balance when you get home. All CC have a grace period. You also get all of the other benefits of card use, like purchase protection, reward miles/points, travel insurance etc. I have never had any holds on a credit card when cruising. With all kinds of travel benefits and protection from the credit card companies, it makes no sense to pay cash for anything.

Thank you for this post.

Perhaps I will call NCL over the next week or so and purchase OBC with the cash I have put aside. It will already be on my account when I board and it will save a trip to Guest Services. Is that correct?

Ill put down a credit card at check in but hopefully wont have to use. Thanks so much!

The gift certificates that you buy are automatically put on your account. You will receive a receipt in your cabin showing it. The money shows up the next day but you will be able to charge to your oba on sail away day. There are also gift cards that you can purchase in various amounts. I got a couple 250s and 500s, 14 day cruise, and applied them as needed at guest services. I didn't need as much as I thought and used the remaining to pay down my upcoming cruise.

I don't think NCL's hold is any different from when you have a hotel stay. It can be a couple hundred dollars. Remind him that unless you go ashore, you also won't be spending on the card during the cruise, so he should stop worrying about a hold.

And pay off those balances even if they're not high! Credit card debt is expensive and doesn't buy you anything. You can afford more cruises if you're not paying interest to that credit card company! :)

The gift certificates that you buy are automatically put on your account. You will receive a receipt in your cabin showing it. The money shows up the next day but you will be able to charge to your oba on sail away day. There are also gift cards that you can purchase in various amounts. I got a couple 250s and 500s, 14 day cruise, and applied them as needed at guest services. I didn't need as much as I thought and used the remaining to pay down my upcoming cruise.

Thanks so much again for posting. I am going to call and purchase OBC. Thanks so much again!

The first time someone steals yours, will be the last. While a visa or mastercard is simply cut off and charges reversed, it is very different with a bank. You need a police report, and the money is not just "put back". It takes awhile. It is a nightmare that is easily avoided.

Absolutely correct

While chase might do it in 3 days

It took cap 1 more than 2 months even after I reported the fraud within minutes of it happening as I checked it on the iPad...

They still made me jump through hoops to reverse $600

And yup we have accounts on deposit there with high balances etc etc. so we are valued long time customers to cap 1 ...

Thank you for this post.

Huh?

Just use the credit card on the ship and pay it off ASAP when you get home

Or

Instead of buying obc with your cash...which means Ncl has to charge it to your credit card anyway....just schedule a payment to your credit card before you leave home and then you won't feel the ship charges when you return.

I just don't understand the hoopla....nor what you are trying to accomplish but pre purchasing obc other than giving Ncl use of your money ahead of time

You are willing to buy an obc from Ncl which they will charge your credit card for before your cruise anyway ( unless you are planning to send them a check or money order? Lol)

But you aren't willing to use your card at check in instead and just pay it off when you return?

Now if Ncl were giving you a discount on pre purchase of obc thats another story but since there is absolutely no benefit to your plan then why do it?

Edited by luvtheships

Use a CC and just pay the balance when you get home. All CC have a grace period. You also get all of the other benefits of card use, like purchase protection, reward miles/points, travel insurance etc. I have never had any holds on a credit card when cruising. With all kinds of travel benefits and protection from the credit card companies, it makes no sense to pay cash for anything.

Stop speaking the truth!!! Lol

I don't think NCL's hold is any different from when you have a hotel stay. It can be a couple hundred dollars. Remind him that unless you go ashore, you also won't be spending on the card during the cruise, so he should stop worrying about a hold.

And pay off those balances even if they're not high! Credit card debt is expensive and doesn't buy you anything. You can afford more cruises if you're not paying interest to that credit card company! :)

Nobody is talking about paying credit card interest

We are suggesting that using a credit. Are and paying that off promptly is smarter than using a debit card or tying up your cash at guest services.

Hi, thanks for the answer!!

We have cash to pay for our cruise as I do not wish to run up interest on c/c

charges.

I think I might have worded my question wrong, which can happen with me loll. Basically, We have 1000 cash. Do I just pay everything with my c/c then throw that $$ back on card when we return home or just pay in cash.

Yes you just pay everything with the credit card and throw the cash on it when you return

Just like when you use your credit card at a restaurant the grocery store the gas station or when buying online

That's how credit cards work

Edited by luvtheships