Americs's Test Kitchen Anyone??

ipoder

I thought the facilitator was better than the previous host that HAL had. The facilitator said she was on set of ATK in Massachusetts. She explained more of how and why things are done a certain way.

They do give out recipe cards just like the other cooking shows on HAL.

Here is a link to one of the threads. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51511126

From what I understand ATK has been on the Westerdam for a while but there don't seem to be any comments on it. Anyone attended demos or hands on classes?

I attended on the Westerdam (Mexican Riviera) in November. It was very well received and it's a good idea to get there early for a good seat. They brought in extra chairs. You will receive handouts (I got one for chocolate and one about peppers) and recipes. There were no samples handed out. I did not attend any hands on classes.

I understand America's Test Kitchen demos and hands on classes have begun on the Westerdam, and maybe others by this time. Haven't heard anything about them and am really curious how different they are from the usual culinary demos. And does anyone know if Koningsdam will be adding ÀTK?

I understand America's Test Kitchen demos and hands on classes have begun on the Westerdam, and maybe others by this time. Haven't heard anything about them and am really curious how different they are from the usual culinary demos. And does anyone know if Koningsdam will be adding ÀTK?

There's a big difference between these HAL demo classes (even the ones with a makeshift participation setup) and the only true culinary school laboratory-at-sea, which is on each of Oceania's two "O" ships. The "R" ships do not have the lab. But they do have demos regularly in the regular theater setup.

IMG_1483806898.938707.jpg.f93e2605e7ddd57560192f7646622ec7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

We were on the December 31st sailing on the Westerdam. I enquired about the hands on cooking class and was told that although I was 5 star I couldn't do the class as there were too many 5 stars on board and only one of her. She couldn't accommodate us all so there would be no hands on class. I was disappointed not to try the class. If 5 stars can't do it there seems little hope for everyone else.

There were two cooking shows on each of two sea days.

I always try to attend the Staff Mystery Box cook-off events when they offer them - lots of fun, and enjoy getting to know the staffers at another level.

What is the Staff Mystery Box cook-off? Sounds intriguing.

We were on the December 31st sailing on the Westerdam. I enquired about the hands on cooking class and was told that although I was 5 star I couldn't do the class as there were too many 5 stars on board and only one of her. She couldn't accommodate us all so there would be no hands on class. I was disappointed not to try the class. If 5 stars can't do it there seems little hope for everyone else.

There were two cooking shows on each of two sea days.

This is really unfortunate.

A problem for 7 day cruises. With longer cruises, HAL has added an extra class or two to accommodate the 5 stars and others.

I always try to attend the Staff Mystery Box cook-off events when they offer them - lots of fun, and enjoy getting to know the staffers at another level.

Agree absolutely. Some of the funniest events we have seen on HAL are any cooking show with the officers. If you manage to get the Captain cooking, it can be a hoot as well, even if he is trying to be serious!

This is really unfortunate.

A problem for 7 day cruises. With longer cruises, HAL has added an extra class or two to accommodate the 5 stars and others.

I think this something

the Mariner Society needs to be made aware of.

After all, this is supposed to be a perk of reaching 5 Star.

Last month on the NADM there was no hands on class offered.

When I asked the CAC host, I was told there was no Show chef onboard because NADM was supposed to have the new setup and it was delayed until at least the end of January.

So this means this benefit is unavailable for at least 2 months.

If the benefit can't be used, then something equal should be offered.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think this something

the Mariner Society needs to be made aware of.

After all, this is supposed to be a perk of reaching 5 Star.

Last month on the NADM there was no hands on class offered.

When I asked the CAC host, I was told there was no Show chef onboard because NADM was supposed to have the new setup and it was delayed until at least the end of January.

So this means this benefit is unavailable for at least 2 months.

If the benefit can't be used, then something equal should be offered.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've wondered about that.

It would be gracious if the ships were to offer a "consolation prize" in the case of a reward not being available as you and ScottishMaid experienced.

I think the problem is that 500/200 cruise days is too low and as a result there are too many 5/4 stars on many cruises, resulting in problems with some rewards like the cooking class, priority tendering, etc.

If the ships can't deliver on a consistent basis, then perhaps it is time to rationalize the system to a more workable one.

I've wondered about that.

It would be gracious if the ships were to offer a "consolation prize" in the case of a reward not being available as you and ScottishMaid experienced.

I think the problem is that 500/200 cruise days is too low and as a result there are too many 5/4 stars on many cruises, resulting in problems with some rewards like the cooking class, priority tendering, etc.

If the ships can't deliver on a consistent basis, then perhaps it is time to rationalize the system to a more workable one.

I also asked the spa ladies about the one day complimentary spa pass and was told it was available only on the port days. Annoying to see only two people in the therapy pool on the last sea day and also that friends were given a complimentary pass on a sea day a few weeks earlier. There were about 15 people with 500+ actual sea days.

I also asked the spa ladies about the one day complimentary spa pass and was told it was available only on the port days. Annoying to see only two people in the therapy pool on the last sea day and also that friends were given a complimentary pass on a sea day a few weeks earlier. There were about 15 people with 500+ actual sea days.

I got a run-around with the five star complimentary spa pass too, telling me it was only for two hours on a port day too. I discussed this with the guest relations person at one of the five star cocktail parties.

She insisted this perk was a a "day pass" and there were no restrictions and apparently the spa people were not coordinated with her office about this benefit.

She said to contact her if there were any problems at the spa desk in the future. Never did, so I don't know but the GR person was pretty insistent this was a "day" pass perk to be used at any time. I do know at any given time one can get very different answers. But checking with GR sounds like the best place to get the answers first.

I wrote up both the cooking class and the spa on the let us know card (now has a new name) half way through the week under their heading "what can we do to make your cruise better" Expected a phone call from GR but none.

On a positive note we were given a dining table for two in an excellent location on a full ship, we were given a decent cabin out of what was left for our verandah guarantee and we seemed to get "priority cleaning" of our cabin every morning. Priority tendering at Cabo was no problem. Contrary to what is often written on CC we were told to just go down any time to the platform with no tender ticket which we did.

So no real complaints, just interesting. It was an excellent cruise. We had a bonus gala dinner for New Year's Eve so three gala dinners in one week!

I wrote up both the cooking class and the spa on the let us know card (now has a new name) half way through the week under their heading "what can we do to make your cruise better" Expected a phone call from GR but none.

On a positive note we were given a dining table for two in an excellent location on a full ship, we were given a decent cabin out of what was left for our verandah guarantee and we seemed to get "priority cleaning" of our cabin every morning. Priority tendering at Cabo was no problem. Contrary to what is often written on CC we were told to just go down any time to the platform with no tender ticket which we did.

So no real complaints, just interesting. It was an excellent cruise. We had a bonus gala dinner for New Year's Eve so three gala dinners in one week!

Your posts are really interesting.

I guess the spa can say when you may use the "spa day pass", although this is not what I have seen on my cruises.

Each ship does its own thing and some staff are more knowledgeable and have a different attitude than others: this is definitely what I have experienced in regard to the Star program. The GRM is hidden away on some cruises and it can be hard to get past the Front Desk staff to a supervisor even. Writing sometimes works better, I have found, but I think the response is generally from the Front Desk staff. I expect this depends on the GRM.

"About fifteen 5 stars" should not be a burden. The 7 day cruise does not seem to be optimal for the Mariner rewards program.

Glad to hear how good the cruise was otherwise!

I am finding that 5 Stars are treated pretty well overall. Dining, cabin assignment, for sure.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I got a run-around with the five star complimentary spa pass too, telling me it was only for two hours on a port day too. I discussed this with the guest relations person at one of the five star cocktail parties.

She insisted this perk was a a "day pass" and there were no restrictions and apparently the spa people were not coordinated with her office about this benefit.

She said to contact her if there were any problems at the spa desk in the future. Never did, so I don't know but the GR person was pretty insistent this was a "day" pass perk to be used at any time. I do know at any given time one can get very different answers. But checking with GR sounds like the best place to get the answers first.

I appreciate it that you have told of your experience.

As I noted in my above post: there is a rather large inconsistency within the HAL fleet.

I appreciate it that you have told of your experience.

As I noted in my above post: there is a rather large inconsistency within the HAL fleet.

Here is my take: It's a large fleet, staff people come and go and things change at the management level that may take time to reach down to each staffer on each ship ... I never really go into this expecting too much; just general pleasantness is good enough.

But also with the expectation I may be the one to keep seeking solutions and answers; not necessarily stopping with the first person I talk to. However that being said, once a request is made we do get inundated with follow-up phone calls -- too many -- to make sure we were satisfied with the results. Maybe they need to invert that service level equation?

Here is my take: It's a large fleet, staff people come and go and things change at the management level that may take time to reach down to each staffer on each ship ... I never really go into this expecting too much; just general pleasantness is good enough.

But also with the expectation I may be the one to keep seeking solutions and answers; not necessarily stopping with the first person I talk to. However that being said, once a request is made we do get inundated with follow-up phone calls -- too many -- to make sure we were satisfied with the results. Maybe they need to invert that service level equation?

A large fleet, absolutely, with little supervision and maybe not the overall training that would make the ships more consistent.

Some other lines sail with a dedicated past-passenger host (not sure of the exact name they give to this position) to handle all the questions, concerns of these passengers. Having someone like this would seem a great idea: the last word on the subject and I am sure a great help to past pax.

ATK is starting on the Eurodam in April. We will be on the 24th sailing which will be the 2nd week it is in operation. We are chaperoning a small group of high schoolers who are in the cooking club so they will be doing lots of cooking activities. It will be interesting to see what it is all about. This will also be our first HAL cruise so the hubs and I will be doing plenty of exploring while the kids do their cooking and tours.