Vancouver airport

Decpl

Good morning everyone.

For the cruisers that done Alaska, what's the earliest flight you would recommend? If its a late flight, what did you do with your luggage?

Cruising from Anchorage to Vancouver in June of this year, not really good flight times home.

Thanks for any information

Our flights from Vancouver are no earlier then 11:00.

Can you make an earlier flight? Probably but in case there are issues we go for 11 or later. It's about a 20-25 minute cab ride to YVR.

A better variety of flights would be from Seattle SEA-TAC. We have used the Princess transfer from Vancouver -Seattle.

Gets to SEA-TAC about 1pm.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

OP

Vancouver happens to be one of the best port to disembark from..

After you collect your luggage in the luggage area and right before you exit the area there is a baggage service company that will either hold your bags all day, deliver to any hotel in the city or if you qualify delivery them directly to the airport , all for a $fee

Fantastic service, and very reliable

Srpilo

We did not find a flight that would get us to South Carolina on debarkation day. All flights that we could make without the stress of racing thru the process would put us on a redeye after sitting around all day. We go a hotel room and took an early flight the next morning

We had a wonderful day in Vancouver without having to worry about our bags. We did the first walk off debarkation and left our luggage (large travel case, a large duffel, and two carrying) with a baggage company at the terminal. Not sure if I can post the link but they are easy to find with a Google search. They transferred the luggage to the airport for us and held there until we picked up later. I think it was less than $40 for this service. We travelled with my aunt and grandmother who did an excursion to Capillano with transport to the airport after instead and Princess held the luggage for them. They highly recommend the tour. My husband and I were just ready to do a little exploring on foot in Stanley Park by ourselves. When we were ready to go to the airport we took the train.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have flown out of Vancouver many times. For us, we found that spending the night in Vancouver after disembarkation provides a more relaxing end to our cruise. We disembark the ship, check into our hotel (if available...if not, store our luggage there), spend the day in Vancouver and then take an early flight (for us, 6 AM) the next day. Less stressful and better flight options.

I definitely don't recommend a flight before the time Princess indicates. Personally, I aim for flights 1:00 or later to be safe. Vancouver customs can be lightening fast or super slow. The Airport can be the same. If you want to explore the city, you can pay the luggage storage service at the port to hold your luggage. From the port, the city is very walkable, or you can take the HOHO bus from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just live down the coast in the San Francisco area and find the same to be true. So, we have found some alternatives, even though I really like Vancouver ... sometimes the hotels in the downtown area are just so expensive. I am happy to report that we got a steal on the Pan Pacific once, though ... NICE!!!

Because we've had to look for alternatives, we have used all the following with great success. I certainly don't mean to sway your decisions but just to let you know of some other options that I've found to save me a lot of money over the years.

QuickShuttle.com is a bus service that takes you across the border to either the Bellingham airport, SeaTac or to Seattle hotels. The other direction takes you from Bellinghma or Seattle (including SeaTac) to Vancouver hotels, airport or Canada Place. It is much less expensive than the cruiseline transfers. Free luggage ... with limitations. If they change to the Ballentine pier, they will change their route to pick you up or drop you off without charge. Very flexible service. Timing can vary depending on traffic and border waits.

Amtrak will take you from Seattle up or Bellingham to Vancouver where you can connect with the Sky Train to take you very close to Canada Place. Also a money saver. The key here is you don't have to cross the border but for Vancouver, you are going to have to. Free luggage with limitations. Usually very prompt.

The Sky Train in Vancouver takes you to many different locations throughout the city. As mentioned above, there is one that takes you from the Amtrak station to a location very close to Canada place. It might not be easy to navigate with a bunch of large pieces of luggage. Free luggage ... but you have to handle it yourself and then it is less than a 5 minute walk from the Waterfront station to Canada Place. Don't have any idea what you'd do if they use the Ballentine Pier. Runs on a regular schedule.

We've used all these modes of transportation and the Train follows an absolutely beautiful route. If you have the time, this is my recommendation.

AAA discounts are available and cancellations, within limits are also without loss of money. Bathrooms and food service is available. No need to disembark the train when crossing the border. The border control comes onboard and then you will also go through customs when you arrive (at least that is the way it happened in Vancouver.

The QuickCoach buses are very clean and comfy and provide restrooms. They don't allow cancellations.

You will have to get off the bus and claim your luggage to put it on the belt to go through customs and reload it on the bus. Sometimes, this will put the bus behind schedule, especially if there is a long line of others ahead of you at the border.

The Sky Train is only for around town in Vancouver. It is reported and witnessed that many passengers do not pay for this service. I don't condone this. Enough said.

The train picks you up at many different locations and believe you can take it pretty much the entire way from near the airport in Vancouver to very near Canada Place. As mentioned, you only have to cross the street and a park to pick it up from the Amtrak Station and then it is only about a 2 block walk from the Waterfront station to Canada Place.

So, in not meaning to suggest you fly to / from a different airport, I have saved a lot of money using these alternate modes of transport and airports both coming and going. My sister lives in Bellingham so it makes it quite easy for me but it is also a great little airport that has flights on Alaska Airlines and Allegiant ...and there may be others.

SeaTac is a very large airport so many more options.

Hope this helps someone out there. I know I always appreciate knowing all my options.

Just a slight update to some of the good information posted by cruise raider :

Ballantine Pier closed to cruise ships, in 2015, I believe. All cruise ships now use Canada Place port.

The skytrain entrance is literally just across the side road as you leave the cruise terminal parking lot, making it very convenient to use. Just look for the signs to Canada Line. The last stop is right at YVR. Again very convenient, at just 30 minutes for the trip.

As to fare evaders - finally some efforts have been made to stop this practice. There are now closed gates before entrance. No ticket in the slot - gate will not open to allow you to enter.

Edited by bigenna