Leaving kids on the ship while at port-questions for new RCCL cruiser

A few years ago when my kids were younger, we left them on the ship all the time why we were in Port.

It was better than dragging them around the island all day.

It is a service the cruise ship offers and many people do it each cruise.

I guess this sort of thing is not popular with the High-strung, Helicopter parents because they always come on here and get bent out of shape for no reason....

Exactly. If the kids are not going to have fun why drag them to the port, which in turn leave the folks not having fun. The service is offered to allow the parents to enjoy themselves.

We used it a couple of times when our son was younger as well. It is a matter of choice. We didn't get rip roaring drunk in port and we were gone for a few hours. We enjoyed a bit of time to ourselves in port for some shopping and walking - things a 5 year old would not enjoy. Now that he is older he always joins us in port.

The ship will not leave without them.

We have been on a cruise that left port with passengers still on shore, and had to turn back around because one woman had minor children aboard (the mother was NOT on an RCCL excursion). If the OP is on a ship excursion and her 5 year old child is in AO, the ship will not leave.

To answer the OP's other question, AO is open all day (while in port) on port days, and they bring the children to lunch.

Good info to know.

Edited by A&L_Ont

They typically extend the hours and have a lunch and dinner you can sign the kids up for on port days so that you can leave the ship.

That said if you are out on your own and return late, they will leave you. I would do an RCCL excursion, if those return late they will wait.

Also if your kid is special needs at all, typically they don't want you to leave the ship while the kid is in kids club. They can't enforce it, but they prefer that you don't. Throwing that in for anyone who is interested.

The ship will not leave without them.

We have been on a cruise that left port with passengers still on shore, and had to turn back around because one woman had minor children aboard (the mother was NOT on an RCCL excursion). If the OP is on a ship excursion and her 5 year old child is in AO, the ship will not leave.

To answer the OP's other question, AO is open all day (while in port) on port days, and they bring the children to lunch.

And she was presented with a very hefty bill because of it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why is it a bother to drag your kids around and than risk being separated in a foreign port? I would never ever consider leaving my kids alone while I go around in another country. Now they are adults, I can do it!

Because I'd rather have him safe on a ship than lost in a foreign city.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

It's a misconception that you are guaranteed that the ship will wait if you book an RCCL excursion. It's not a guarantee that you will get back on the ship the same day - they just guarantee they will get you back on at the next earliest opportunity at no additional cost to you.

Your kids could still end up leaving without you. You may not want to hear it, but that is fairly reckless. I'm not sure how anyone could enjoy an excursion knowing any significant delay will result in the ship leaving with your kids.

Go ahead and turn us in to DCF. Tell them how neglectful we are. If I'm not mistaken, I suggested that if you are just going to comment on how you are a better parent than me, just keep scrolling and ignore my post.

other factors include WHAT excursions? ones that take you hours away and would take you hours to get back? what happens if you do get the call that Junior is having a meltdown, or got sick/injured?

also, the excursion won't leave early or skip any aspect just because you did get that call... so now you are on your own to get back.

older kids that you know will be fine in the kids club all day is one thing. younger ones who might still be clingy? no way would I leave the ship without them.

Good for you for letting me know that you are a better parent than I.

AO will be open to keep your kids on port days. As posted earlier, they open before the first excursion / tender/ debarkation and will feed your kids. Check with the staff when you board to find out if they need to know ahead of time that this is your plan.

If this works for you - take advantage of it! My kids were 4 and 8 and they LOVED adventure ocean but they also LOVED visiting all of the countries and ports we visited so they opted NOT to stay onboard but did go back to the AO every other minute that they could!!

We had wonderful kids club staff on our last cruise! I hope our next one does toi

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for your positive answer! My kids loved staying on the ship and had an excellent time in the kids club.

And she was presented with a very hefty bill because of it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If there was a charge then RC should be going after their shore excursion provider for having a late return, not the cruiser.

Edited by A&L_Ont

The OP has left her kids on ships before,so I'm sure she knows she can enjoy herself. I wouldn't call it reckless - the chances of missing the ship are probably lower that having her 5 year old injured on the excursion. She just wanted to know if the club was open.

Thank you very much for your post. The risk of my child getting injured or lost while at port is much higher than getting injured on the ship. As well as there is a doctor on the ship. If we were ashore, it would take considerably longer to find a clinic.

From other threads and conversations with staff on board, I definitely expect that the ship will wait longer than they might otherwise if there is a parent/child separation.

If I was on an RCI excursion that wasn't planned for a last minute return time and this service worked for my family - I would not worry TOO much. I WOULD travel with a passport even if it wasn't required though to expedite any situations that might occur.

My children have attended child care on land since they were 8 weeks old - 5 days a week - 10 hours a day. The risk that we will not be reunited at the end of a day is real in our everyday life - there are many things that could prevent me from being able to get them and our family is not close. They would stay with friends, teachers, or child care providers if that were to occur.

If this is something you are comfortable with - do as you wish and have a wonderful trip!!

Flame Suit On!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you!!! Exactly...my chances of getting into a car crash at home and not getting to my child is far more likely than me not getting back to port. 14 cruises and yet to have an incident with excursions.

Why do you think that can never happen? I am guessing because you suppose that the ship will wait for you. If so then this is not correct. If you care to read what RCCL actually says beyond their attention grabbing big-fonted headline promise then you'll know that there is no guarantee that they will wait until an RCCL excursions returns; what they actually say is that once they get sick of waiting for you they'll arrange to transport you to the next port of call at no charge.

You know that you can calculate how special a parent you are by observing about how many kids are on the ship while cruising and then using that to determine the percentage of parents that leave their kids to the care of others during shore time. You'll likely be in the 1% club.

Wow..are you calling me special? Thank you! I have never had someone call me special before.

It's a misconception that you are guaranteed that the ship will wait if you book an RCCL excursion. It's not a guarantee that you will get back on the ship the same day - they just guarantee they will get you back on at the next earliest opportunity at no additional cost to you.

Your kids could still end up leaving without you. You may not want to hear it, but that is fairly reckless. I'm not sure how anyone could enjoy an excursion knowing any significant delay will result in the ship leaving with your kids.

Yeah, and if I can't get to my daycare by 6:30 pm, they will call the State DHS to come pick up my DD. I am however responsible enough to get back to Daycare before they close at 6 and the vast majority of people will never miss a cruise ship in their life.

If they do miss the ship, it isn't like RCL will put the kids on the pier and say c-ya. They will assign an AO crew member to watch over the kids until the parents make it back or at the homeport. Not ideal, and possible very expensive, but it isn't like the kids are in grave danger. Much better than leaving a 5 yo on a beach will you snorkel.

As to the OP's question: the centers including the nursery will be open the entire time you are in port. They will take your phone number if they need to reach you, but from what we were told and our experience is they never have a reason to call. If there were mass separations of kids and parents, I doubt they would allow this.

I have to wonder why you start a thread then ignore what just about every reply mentions. While the chances are low, the ship most certainly can leave without you, even if you are on a ship excursion.

I'm not asking if the ship will leave...I am asking about the clubs and if they stay open. As I said, I am new to RCCL and not as familiar with the clubs and their policies.

They typically extend the hours and have a lunch and dinner you can sign the kids up for on port days so that you can leave the ship.

That said if you are out on your own and return late, they will leave you. I would do an RCCL excursion, if those return late they will wait.

Also if your kid is special needs at all, typically they don't want you to leave the ship while the kid is in kids club. They can't enforce it, but they prefer that you don't. Throwing that in for anyone who is interested.

Good to know, thanks!

Why do you think that can never happen? I am guessing because you suppose that the ship will wait for you. If so then this is not correct. If you care to read what RCCL actually says beyond their attention grabbing big-fonted headline promise then you'll know that there is no guarantee that they will wait until an RCCL excursions returns; what they actually say is that once they get sick of waiting for you they'll arrange to transport you to the next port of call at no charge.

You know that you can calculate how special a parent you are by observing about how many kids are on the ship while cruising and then using that to determine the percentage of parents that leave their kids to the care of others during shore time. You'll likely be in the 1% club.

Actually on my last cruise, first with DD, the hardest times to get for the nursery were while we were in port, because most people wanted to leave their kids there while in port. What are your thoughts about parents taking their kids ashore, when no car seats would be available? Seems far riskier to me.

Actually on my last cruise, first with DD, the hardest times to get for the nursery were while we were in port, because most people wanted to leave their kids there while in port. What are your thoughts about parents taking their kids ashore, when no car seats would be available? Seems far riskier to me.

Yep....wandering busy markets and riding in taxis with no seat belts is ridiculously riskier than playing in a safe, child center on the ship. Our son loves to take off and run. He's a boy and he's 5. So much to see, so little time.

Good to know the club is open. We will figure out which days to leave him and which ports would be more kid friendly.

misseulalie just remember this is the same forum, and many of the same posters, that a few months ago were horrified that a parent would even consider "letting" their 21 and 19 year-old daughters do a cruise sponsored excursion by themselves in Jamaica.

misseulalie just remember this is the same forum, and many of the same posters, that a few months ago were horrified that a parent would even consider "letting" their 21 and 19 year-old daughters do a cruise sponsored excursion by themselves in Jamaica.

This.

Hopefully you'll have a good cruise.

LOL!

That reminds me of a mother who was so worried about her 19 year old daughter going off to university that she camped out in the daughter's dorm room for the first couple of weeks. Finaly the administration had to kick the women out!

lol I just disappointed ds18, hecand his friends had grand plans of cruising over spring break. It never occurred to him that it wouldn't be allowed by the cruise line. Dd20 is in Greece right now with a friend's for2+ weeks, but still to young to cruise.

According to the post' date=' the mother was not on an RCCL excursion.:([/quote']

Little Buddy's Mom, thanks for making me reread that quote as you are correct. Another reason to do a RC Excursion, no bill.:eek::p