Spain and VAT?

dorts

Hi all,

Have been getting different answers to this question all over the net and was wondering if anyone has any insight to the right answer if they may have been in the same position:

I am taking a Med cruise departing Barcelona and visiting mainly EU ports, but with one stop being in Montenegro - non-EU. I have heard that an extra 21% VAT is added under Spanish law but this wont be enforced once we leave Spanish waters plus we are making a non-EU port stop. However, I already have the deluxe package for this cruise so my question is whether they will charge me the 21% onto my seapass account while ordering drinks when I board in Barcelona or will the package being pre-purchased save me any of this hassle - hence no extra charges?

Hi all,

Have been getting different answers to this question all over the net and was wondering if anyone has any insight to the right answer if they may have been in the same position:

I am taking a Med cruise departing Barcelona and visiting mainly EU ports, but with one stop being in Montenegro - non-EU. I have heard that an extra 21% VAT is added under Spanish law but this wont be enforced once we leave Spanish waters plus we are making a non-EU port stop. However, I already have the deluxe package for this cruise so my question is whether they will charge me the 21% onto my seapass account while ordering drinks when I board in Barcelona or will the package being pre-purchased save me any of this hassle - hence no extra charges?

You'll only be charged VAT whilst in Spanish waters and not all VAT is at 21%. Can't help in relation too the drinks package though.

• 2 months later...

We're on the same ship, different cruise. For those sailing with us on June 30th on Brilliance, be aware that since Kusadasi (non-EU) was cancelled, the 21% VAT applies for the entire duration of the cruise. In OP's case maybe it only applies to Spanish waters. I hope so for their sake. But for us, here's RCL's reply to my query (our cruise only):

"In reviewing your reservation we can confirm that since your sailing will begin and end in a European country, it will be subject to VAT Tax. VAT is a European tax that is automatically included in the price of goods and services throughout European Union countries; it stands for Value Added Tax. To comply with a 1999 European government ruling, certain onboard goods and services will fall within the scope of VAT and a tax will need to be added, since it is not done automatically onboard. Non-European Union residents technically do not owe VAT, and must go through a process if they would like to have the VAT refunded. See the information below on how to apply for a refund.

Since non-European Union residents technically do not owe VAT, they may request that the VAT amount paid be refunded. Please be advised that Royal Caribbean does not handle VAT refunds. Guests should follow the guidelines below:

The invoice/receipt must exceed £30 ($50) in the U.K and $80 in Belgium to €154.94 ($200) in Italy and €175.01 ($230) in France (and it's always the amount before taxes are counted).

Guest must take their receipts and item(s) to Customs at the last point of EU departure and get their receipts stamped. (Guest may be required to present item(s) at Customs, so the item(s) should be available.) Concessionaires will register with Global Refund, who will facilitate the refunds. Guests can visit www.global-blue.com for more information about refunding VAT."

Edited by johnjen
quotation marks and italicize quote.

Johnjen;

I believe you will not be eligible for a refund. To say that non-EU residents do not owe VAT is not quite correct. If you purchase an item that you are taking home to a non-EU country, then you do not owe VAT, but if you use the item, or consume it (like a meal or drink), then the VAT is owed. Drinks packages fall under this umbrella. It is only Spain and Italy that will enforce a VAT for the entire cruise if it does not include a non-EU port. Cruises from the UK, Denmark, etc, will only enforce the VAT while in their territorial waters, if then.

So if you are doing a transatlantic out of Barcelona and ending in Ft Lauderdale you will only be charged the VAT while in Spanish waters?

We also stop in the Canary Islands - does the VAT apply there?

Thanks!

That has been our experience. They also gave us the opportunity to get a refund for VAT we paid while in Spain ports.