School ID for 16 yr old?

beckzay

My daughter will be 16 when we cruise in April and may or may not have her Drivers License by then. Carnival says a school photo ID along with a birth certificate will be ok to travel with. Has anyone used a high school photo ID without any problems? I'm just trying to decide if I should go get her a non-driver ID before we sail.

It's not really Carnival who makes the call. The US State Department does.

The ID is for readmission back into the US, at the completion of the cruise. A 16 year old needs (at the minimum) a birth certificate plus a government issued photo ID.

I'd suggest getting that state ID, if she's not going for a driver's license yet.

It's not really Carnival who makes the call. The US State Department does.

The ID is for readmission back into the US, at the completion of the cruise. A 16 year old needs (at the minimum) a birth certificate plus a government issued photo ID.

I'd suggest getting that state ID, if she's not going for a driver's license yet.

Wrong department, it's CBP that will be clearing passengers upon their return and they work for DHS, not State. (And CCL wouldn't be telling someone that they can do something without knowing for sure it would be accepted by CBP since they can face heavy fines for letting someone onboard without the proper paperwork.)

Edited by sparks1093

Wrong department, it's CBP that will be clearing passengers upon their return and they work for DHS, not State. (And CCL wouldn't be telling someone that they can do something without knowing for sure it would be accepted by CBP since they can face heavy fines for letting someone onboard without the proper paperwork.)

OK. My point being, it's not Carnival that makes the call. It's the US government.

Here you go, people. From the Carnival website (Scroll down to the end.):

Traveling with a Birth Certificate and Photo Identification

Birth Certification Information

The following are acceptable:

An original birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

A copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

A clear, legible copy of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified.

Birth Certificate Card

A Consular report of Birth Abroad

Internationally adopted children (under the age of 18): If the adoptive parent was not issued a birth certificate, we will accept as proof of citizenship, a Certificate of Citizenship by the U.S. and adoption paperwork. A Certificate of Citizenship is issued by the U.S. once the adoption is finalized.

Guests may obtain a copy of a birth certificate by contacting: The Department of Health and Vital Statistics at: http://www.vitalchek.com. If the guest has laminated their birth certificate, it is acceptable.

Birth certificates from Puerto Rico issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship and are not accepted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Guests from Puerto Rico either need to present a WHTI-compliant document or a government-issued photo I.D. with a validated birth certificate issued after July 1, 2010.

AND

Photo Identification

A non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

Driver's License

Driver's Permit

School/Student I.D. (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)

Government-issued identification card (city/state/federal)

Government-issued Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) - for photo identification use only

There you go. Her birth certificate and school id will suffice.

Perhaps print the Carnival identification requirements and bring them with you.

Have a great cruise.

• Like 1