School ID for 16 yr old?

beckzay

My daughter will be 16 when we cruise in April and may or may not have her Drivers License by then. Carnival says a school photo ID along with a birth certificate will be ok to travel with. Has anyone used a high school photo ID without any problems? I'm just trying to decide if I should go get her a non-driver ID before we sail.

I wouldn't chance it. While it may be fine with Carnival, you may run into some issues in the ports. I would at least get her a government-issued ID, if not a passport (if you have the time to get one).

At the ports? Why. The people at the port only want to see an ID with a picture on it, because the ships card does not have it. Now, take the 16 year old, and have a parent next to them, they won't blink an eye, let alone seriously look at it. Since the child can't get off the ship without a parent, they should return with the same parent (I hope). A school ID, is a government issued ID. (unless a private school). You also do not need a passport in port. You don't need a Birth Certificate either.

Just make sure you stay together, and have the ID with you.

Why wouldn't you get her a passport?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Because she's 15 right now and in order to get a passport for someone under 16 BOTH parents need to be there when she applies for one. Thats not possible because this is a surprise cruise for my husband and he will wonder why she's getting a passport :) If we wait until she's 16 (when only one parent needs to be there) it probably won't arrive in time unless we expedite it...which is costly.

I'll probably just get her a state issued non-driver ID to be safe.

My daughter will be 16 when we cruise in April and may or may not have her Drivers License by then. Carnival says a school photo ID along with a birth certificate will be ok to travel with. Has anyone used a high school photo ID without any problems? I'm just trying to decide if I should go get her a non-driver ID before we sail.

She can absolutely take her school ID as long as it is a public school. The requirement is a government issued photo ID so a public school ID counts as long as it has her picture. It has been years, but both my sister and I used our school IDs for cruises in the past.

Foolish to leave US without a full passport book. The passport card is only valid when entering the US via car or on foot. In the event that anyone needs to leave the ship at a port stop, you would not be permitted to get on a plane bound for the US. You would then need to visit the US consulate or embassy in that country and apply for a passport and wait for it to be processed. Chances are you'll be fine, but you are taking a big risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Foolish to leave US without a full passport book. The passport card is only valid when entering the US via car or on foot. In the event that anyone needs to leave the ship at a port stop, you would not be permitted to get on a plane bound for the US. You would then need to visit the US consulate or embassy in that country and apply for a passport and wait for it to be processed. Chances are you'll be fine, but you are taking a big risk.

Oh foo, millions of people leave on closed loop cruises every year using something other than a passport and they have no issues at all. The passport card is also used at sea ports of entry returning from Canada, Bermuda, Caribbean and Mexico so it may be used for open jaw sailings (as few as those are now anyway). The only risk one takes is as you state having to visit the consulate or embassy and as long as someone is willing to accept that risk it shouldn't matter to anyone else.

Because she's 15 right now and in order to get a passport for someone under 16 BOTH parents need to be there when she applies for one. Thats not possible because this is a surprise cruise for my husband and he will wonder why she's getting a passport :) If we wait until she's 16 (when only one parent needs to be there) it probably won't arrive in time unless we expedite it...which is costly.

I'll probably just get her a state issued non-driver ID to be safe.

You can find your ways around telling your husband what the passport is for. Just be creative.

Hmm, ok, so now I'm worried. On our previous cruises, my 6 year old son had his passport. It recently expired, so we were told just his birth certificate is ok. Is this not true? We leave in just a few days for our cruise, so we can't renew his passport in time. No school picture id for young kids...

Hmm, ok, so now I'm worried. On our previous cruises, my 6 year old son had his passport. It recently expired, so we were told just his birth certificate is ok. Is this not true? We leave in just a few days for our cruise, so we can't renew his passport in time. No school picture id for young kids...

Picture ID requirement applies to ages 16+. You are fine.

The photo ID requirement only pertains to those 16 and older. 15 and younger just need their birth certificates.

You can find your ways around telling your husband what the passport is for. Just be creative.

No, not really, lol. We don't travel much. This is the first time 2 of my 3 children are going out of the country and they are 23 and 16 :)

Birth Certificate is fine. Our last cruise in October we used DS expired Passport, of at least 3 years.

Also took BC as well, they did not even ask for it.

Did I miss if you were flying? Rules for flying depends on airlines. And they might not believe the age of the minor and ask for proof. My son's best friend needed at age 12. My son at about 14

Also. Passports must not expire 6 months before you travel.

Passports must not expire 6 months before you travel.

Only to certain areas of the world and the Caribbean on a cruise is not one of those places. The recommendation is to have 6 months remaining but it is not a requirement, your passport will get you home up until the day it expires.