What happens if you book and the price goes down?

mrs.seaweed

So DH and I are booked on the Breakaway in Feb. I only booked a couple of weeks ago, but since then I have discovered NCL is offering a bunch of extras and lower prices from when we booked. Do i have any recourse or is there any way to get these offers applied to our stateroom? We are paid in full already which will probably not help our cause. Thank you expert cruisers!!

If you are not passed your deadline then you can cancel and book again to get the specials. Haven and other cabins I think have different final deadlines so check your booking details. If you cancel there is no 100% guarantee you can get the same cabin but its very possible.

If your deadline has passed you could ask for a upgrade. There is no guarantee NCL will do this because they are not obligated to do a thing after final payment. But if your cruise is not sold out or has lots of cabins available, its possible they could offer you a tiny upgrade....up a few decks or maybe a slightly larger room or balcony. There is also another possibility of getting some OBC. But the OBC will NOT equal the amount of the price difference. Once our suite dropped $800 and we got $180 OBC or something like that.

Good luck. Long story short... NCL does not have to give you a thing. But if you have a good NCL booking agent or TA they could get you something.

• Like 1

So DH and I are booked on the Breakaway in Feb. I only booked a couple of weeks ago, but since then I have discovered NCL is offering a bunch of extras and lower prices from when we booked. Do i have any recourse or is there any way to get these offers applied to our stateroom? We are paid in full already which will probably not help our cause. Thank you expert cruisers!!

Once you are past final payment you have little wiggle room to benefit from price reductions for new cruisers. You could look into perhaps a cheaper upgrade or ask for a percentage of the price drop as On Board Credit, but NCL is in no way obligated to give any price change or give you any of the freebees being offered. Hopefully you were happy with what you got for the price you paid and that is why you made the final payment. Before final payment you could give up your old reservation and get a new one, losing your old perks but getting the new ones. There is a chance that if you cancel and rebook your original cabin will be snatched before you can reserve it again. Hope you enjoy your cruise.:)

If you are going in February, you are past the final payment deadline. At that point, you can't get any kind of recourse or refund for a drop in price. If you had been before final payment, you could have cancelled and rebooked at the lower price, although you would lose any promotions that you received at time of initial booking that were no longer available as of the date you rebooked.

So in short, you are SOL. It's always painful to look at prices past the final payment deadline... there is no point to it except to cause you angst. Just take comfort in knowing that you booked at a price you were comfortable paying, and enjoy your cruise.

Keep in mind that cruise lines have a more generous price match policy that most travel companies. I've never had an airline or a pre-paid hotel honor a lower price if the price drops after I pay. All major US cruise lines allow you to re-price up until final payment. Post final payment you can't, but, on the flip side, if the price goes up after booking you don't owe them anything additional.

I don't know when you booked, but keep in mind that the price drops are usually for guarantee bookings. If you book several months out you can pick your cabin for no additional charge, as sailing gets closer, in my experience, the cost to choose your cabin goes up while the guarantee price goes down.

As others said, best advice is to book when you are satisfied with the price and perks, watch it until final payment, and then let it go. No reason to torture yourself over a late booker getting a good deal. For those of us who have to fly and get vacation time pre-approved early, late booking isn't possible so then the earlier you book the better off you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just booked a Norwegian cruise last night and the rep told me they have a guarantee that if we watch it and the price goes down or a deal comes up, we can get it.

You DO know that guarantee is ONLY for 48 hours?????

You can call and ask, but the perks haven't really changed a lot in about 6 months, so unless you booked a guarantee cabin you should have them. If you booked a guarantee cabin those don't get perks.

Just curious, what happens if you pay in full prior to the final payment deadline? Are you still eligible for price adjustments up until the original final payment date, or are you locked in at that time?

It doesn't really matter when you pay, what matters is the deadline for anyone on the cruise to make the final payment, so you can book and pay a year out, and take advantage of all price drops up until the final payment date of around 90 days.

I just booked a Norwegian cruise last night and the rep told me they have a guarantee that if we watch it and the price goes down or a deal comes up, we can get it.

Take that with a grain of salt. It is only true up until the final payment date.

Edited by zqvol

They told me the same thing, but when I pushed they wouldn't honour the price because "it wasn't for the same cabin type". After a bit of pushing, I finally got an upgrade from an inside to an ocean view and paid about half the listed price difference. Unfortunately, I've had several "quotes" (for cirque etc) that after conferring with my travel mates and calling back to book were not honoured. Excuses ranged from "forgot to tell you about service charges and/or gratuities" or " sorry, we meant US dollars, not Canadian".

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It doesn't really matter when you pay, what matters is the deadline for anyone on the cruise to make the final payment, so you can book and pay a year out, and take advantage of all price drops up until the final payment date of around 90 days.

Take that with a grain of salt. It is only true up until the final payment date.

Not accurate- NCL has had their "price guarantee" in place for months. I took advantage of it in Sept- with a last minute cruise- about 10 days prior to sailing. Made the online application deadline by about 4 hours. https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/best-price-guarantee It's pretty obvious it's not known about? Keep it in mind- especially those, like myself who snag last minute deals.

Not accurate- NCL has had their "price guarantee" in place for months. I took advantage of it in Sept- with a last minute cruise- about 10 days prior to sailing. Made the online application deadline by about 4 hours. https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/best-price-guarantee It's pretty obvious it's not known about? Keep it in mind- especially those, like myself who snag last minute deals.

Both of you are correct. NCL has a price guarantee if you find a lower price within 48 hours if your initial booking, but I don't think that is a common occurrence and OP booked weeks ago so that won't apply.

Any US booking made prior to final payment can be re-priced at any time prior to final payment if the price drops (so book a year out and you can still get re-priced 6 months later). This happens frequently, but also won't apply to OP since they are past final payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums