Beverage package question

Evilgrin72

Hey everyone,

Long time cruiser likely returning to Norwegian for the first time since 1997 (anyone remember the Seaward?) Had a question about the beverage package.

Why is the Ultimate Beverage package so pricey compared to the other mass-market lines? Looks like Carnival's package is $49.99/day (with a 15 drink cap), Royal's is $54.99 a day, and Norwegian's is $79/day? Royal's includes bottled water and specialty coffee beverages as well, while Norwegian's excludes those.

Is there an added value I'm missing or something, or is this just an "it is what it is" situation? Just curious, not blasting or anything. Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone,

Long time cruiser likely returning to Norwegian for the first time since 1997 (anyone remember the Seaward?) Had a question about the beverage package.

Why is the Ultimate Beverage package so pricey compared to the other mass-market lines? Looks like Carnival's package is $49.99/day (with a 15 drink cap), Royal's is $54.99 a day, and Norwegian's is $79/day? Royal's includes bottled water and specialty coffee beverages as well, while Norwegian's excludes those.

Is there an added value I'm missing or something, or is this just an "it is what it is" situation? Just curious, not blasting or anything. Thanks in advance.

"It is what it is"! Guessing since it has been a free perk they felt they would make the price higher so it looks like a better deal and so they could get more from the "service charge" for it. Good thing though is if you're a drinker on the cruise it is definitely worth having!

"It is what it is"! Guessing since it has been a free perk they felt they would make the price higher so it looks like a better deal and so they could get more from the "service charge" for it. Good thing though is if you're a drinker on the cruise it is definitely worth having!

Is that "Free at Sea" promotion I just read about a year-round thing or a limited time offer? I'd be willing to bet you're 100% correct on the perceived value-added and increased service charge assessment.

It is a silly marketing thing, but all you really need to know to compare it to other lines is that if you pick it as a perk, the service charge will cost an additional $14/day. So if you drink one fancy drink or two drinks of the day per day, it is worth it.

Free at sea is basically running year-round at this point, though the specific choices do change somewhat. UBP had always been one of the options so far, though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

Oh, and if you tend to sail in guarantees, then you have to factor in the increased price of a non-guarantee cabin, since those don't qualify for Free at Sea. I like to pick my exact cabin, though, and I like balconies, so that isn't really an extra expense for me, as I'd be paying more than the quoted "fares from $" price anyway.

And with NCL it's not all that ultimate. Doesn't include coffees or bottled water like Xs does.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is what is bewildering. My wife is a teetotaler and basically drinks nothing but coffee and water, so this package is entirely useless to her, but if I have it, she has to buy it too. Good thing it would only cost me gratuities! I'd be tempted to choose another offer instead, but three of the five choices don't really apply to us (we rarely book excursions, don't have a 3rd/4th cruiser, and don't use WiFi on the ship) so specialty dining and the beverage package would be our two choices.

Oh, and if you tend to sail in guarantees, then you have to factor in the increased price of a non-guarantee cabin, since those don't qualify for Free at Sea. I like to pick my exact cabin, though, and I like balconies, so that isn't really an extra expense for me, as I'd be paying more than the quoted "fares from $" price anyway.

Great info, thanks ! I typically book guaranteed and choose cabin (balcony) myself, so this is a non-issue for me as well.

NCL's beverage package price is a joke, considering it is crazy expensive and excludes so much. The reality is I don't think anyone actually buys it, nor do they expect anyone too. They have included in the price of the cruise for a couple years now with just the 18% added service charge. So to me that's what the high price tag is for, to drive that service charge up. But I'm as long as I find a cruise with rates I'm willing to pay, adding in the bev package for an extra $14 a day is a decent deal.

NCL's beverage package price is a joke, considering it is crazy expensive and excludes so much. The reality is I don't think anyone actually buys it, nor do they expect anyone too. They have included in the price of the cruise for a couple years now with just the 18% added service charge. So to me that's what the high price tag is for, to drive that service charge up. But I'm as long as I find a cruise with rates I'm willing to pay, adding in the bev package for an extra $14 a day is a decent deal.

I agree with this. I had the same theory about the high price. They have to make money somehow since most people get the drink package as a perk. Totally worth it tho. For $200 my husband and I will have a drink package for the whole week, we sailed last month with RCCL and paid $430 for 3 days.

Great info, thanks ! I typically book guaranteed and choose cabin (balcony) myself, so this is a non-issue for me as well.

How do you book a guarantee cabin AND get to choose your cabin? That's the point of the guarantee - they pick the cabin for you.

We were going to go with the balcony guarantee for our upcoming 10 day on the Gem, but for $200 more (plus $140ish for gratuities for a total of $340 each additional) we were able to get the next category and both the beverage and dining plans. We calculated that we each easily drink 2-3 drinks a day, plus wine with dinner - so it was worth it to spend the extra money and not have to worry about a high bar bill at the end of the cruise.

We were on the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda a couple of years ago with a free beverage plan - and that was GREAT! Bottled water, fancy coffees - everything was included up to a certain price. (And their base price is a heck of a lot cheaper, AND they do NOT make you pay gratuities, so it really WAS FREE!)

We would have done Celebrity, but they don't have any Caribbean cruises out of NY/NJ on the smaller ships (i.e. - the Summit).

It is a silly marketing thing, but all you really need to know to compare it to other lines is that if you pick it as a perk, the service charge will cost an additional $14/day. So if you drink one fancy drink or two drinks of the day per day, it is worth it.

Free at sea is basically running year-round at this point, though the specific choices do change somewhat. UBP had always been one of the options so far, though.

Exactly, if you look at it as $14.00 a day it is a tremendous deal. Even more so in our case. We will be docking at GSC and the beverage package covers drinks there. On CCL they are not covered at HMC and our bar tab was close to $100.00 just on the Island. As soon as we board we have at least three drinks each in the atrium / lobby. As stated $14.00 a day is a great bargain

I strongly agree with your post. We had the Beverage Package (before the 18% was charged) last year on the Sun. We are Platinum and had two specialty meals with a good bottle of wine, which is all we drank those nights. The other five nights, we probably consumed the equivalent of about $200 or alcohol.

No way would the BP work for us to pay for. In fact, if we had been assessed the 18% we would have broken even.

Our next NCL cruise is NE and Canada in Sept 2018 and we didn't pick the BP.

RCI still has great prices due to not bundling, so we booked two for 2018.

I've just come off Jade & soon to go on Epic. They didn't charge me any service charge each day with UBP? X

I'm British - does that change things?

Yes, that definitely changes things. Your laws are different from what US allows.

Staying in HAVEN on Breakaway with the dining and beverage packages. Can someone please explain how room service works?

Is it free if say, I call to order breakfast to be delivered to the room next morning? Or want dinner in my room from the Haven restaurant or from a specialty restaurant?

Edited by NEcruiser7515

Seems unfair, good for me, wish you could all benefit too. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Eh, I'm not sure id prefer the U.K. Bookings. From what I've heard on hear it sounds like US typically gets lower prices and I know we have a lot more flexibility to cancel than you do. Pluses and minuses on both sides.

Staying in HAVEN on Breakaway with the dining and beverage packages. Can someone please explain how room service works?

Is it free if say, I call to order breakfast to be delivered to the room next morning?

It is included.

Or want dinner in my room from the Haven restaurant ...

It is included

...or from a specialty restaurant?

Your package would cover the meal as it would at the restaurant. If you don't have any more meals left on your plan, you would be charged as in the restaurant.

You already have the real answer .... it is usually "free" and the 18% gratuity that NCL charges on the "value" of the package pays for the program.

There are some other differences. NCL covers drinks up to $15, and then charges just the difference (plus gratuity) if the drink is over $15. Some lines have $8 or $10 limits, and some charge the full price of a drink that isn't covered.

But mostly it is so they can say it's free and charge $14 a day for it.