GEM embarkation time NYC

dcruisers

We will be sailing on the Gem 1/28. We have completed our online checkin and noticed that you could select 9:30-10:00 for boarding time. How is that even possible if the ship doesn't arrive until 10am?

For past Gem cruisers out of NYC - when does the ship actually arrive and what time did boarding actually begin? We would rather not stand outside in a long line.

Thanks!

9:30-10:00 is the time for checkin, the line where you get your cabin key card. then you wait for general boarding time

boarding time is still 11:30/12

the ship is usually docked by 7am, disembarkation of the previous guest starts around 7:30am and finishes by 10am

My edoc states a 12 noon embarkation and that is the time that I am getting on the ship. There is usually a ton of passengers crowding onto the ship from 1 pm on.

I am going straight to the MDR restaurant and have a nice leisurely waitered lunch there. Only about fifty or so passengers eat there. You can spend as much time in a restaurant that seats hundreds.

The MDR usually closes for lunch at 2 pm, and those passengers who miss that have to go to the buffet at the pool, where 95 percent of the passengers line up for frankfurters and hamburgers. Not much fun, when you have a thousand passengers or more lining up for lunch at the same time. Not much fun running around to find a table and chairs where there are few empty ones to find..

Good luck.

Edited by Richpontone

Question about return time...we're sailing March 19-29. Itinerary shows ship back in NYC at 10:00 am on the 29th. I'm used to ships getting back early in the morning. For anyone who has sailed this previously, does it really get in that late? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And disembarkation starts at 8 or 8:30 am. First disembarkation is when you leave the ship handling all your luggage. A lot of passengers use this method.

Remember you will need an additional hour getting through customs and then you have to cross 12th Avenue in front of the ship's terminal to get to the taxi stand. Allow an additional ten minutes for that and another ten to get in line with dozens of other passengers to get a cab.

10 am is usually the final call for all remaining passengers to leave the ship.

Some passengers like to stay at the end to eat breakfast there and sit around waiting for everyone else to leave the ship.

My edoc states a 12 noon embarkation and that is the time that I am getting on the ship. There is usually a ton of passengers crowding onto the ship from 1 pm on.

I am going straight to the MDR restaurant and have a nice leisurely waitered lunch there. Only about fifty or so passengers eat there. You can spend as much time in a restaurant that seats hundreds.

The MDR usually closes for lunch at 2 pm, and those passengers who miss that have to go to the buffet at the pool, where 95 percent of the passengers line up for frankfurters and hamburgers. Not much fun, when you have a thousand passengers or more lining up for lunch at the same time. Not much fun running around to find a table and chairs where there are few empty ones to find..

Good luck.

The Magenta or Grand Pacific??

We will be sailing on the Gem 1/28. We have completed our online checkin and noticed that you could select 9:30-10:00 for boarding time. How is that even possible if the ship doesn't arrive until 10am?

For past Gem cruisers out of NYC - when does the ship actually arrive and what time did boarding actually begin? We would rather not stand outside in a long line.

Thanks!

We go thru security checkpoint at about 10:30 The checkpoint is all INDOORS -I have never waited outside in the cold!

We have a short wait then Board about 12:15----Remember this is Day#1 of your cruise----our Roll Call thread also asked Why 10AM???

NYC Harbor is real busy with Ferry boats from Jersey and Staten Island-you would think they would want a Medium size ship in early.

And disembarkation starts at 8 or 8:30 am. First disembarkation is when you leave the ship handling all your luggage. A lot of passengers use this method.

Remember you will need an additional hour getting through customs and then you have to cross 12th Avenue in front of the ship's terminal to get to the taxi stand. Allow an additional ten minutes for that and another ten to get in line with dozens of other passengers to get a cab.

Some passengers like to stay at the end to eat breakfast there and sit around waiting for everyone else to leave the ship.

All other cruises I've been on (including 5 NCL) show an arrival time much earlier, and then disembarkation begins after the ship clears customs. I guess that's why I'm confused by this. My assumption was that if they show an arrival time in NY of 10:00, disembarkation would take place after that time. How are passengers leaving the ship at 8 am?

We're on the March 19th sailing. If you look at the itinerary of the cruise after 10am it says (airport) in brackets so I'm wondering if the time is an expected last disembarkation so those flying (like us) know how to judge good flight times and car service pick ups. Just a thought.

We got back to NYC on Gem just a few days ago. We were scheduled for 10am arrival as well and were docked by 7am. Staff officer said 10am listing is so passengers would book later flights as we were coming all the way from Tortola and bad seas or strong currents could add a little time to the trip, but they planned to arrive around 7-8 am as normal. That said, we ran full speed (approx 24 knots) until late Saturday when we ran into last week's storm with rough seas and 60+ knot winds across the deck.

We were booked on a 12:10 Amtrak train and were at Penn station by 9:15 (first group off without having to haul your own bags).

We got back to NYC on Gem just a few days ago. We were scheduled for 10am arrival as well and were docked by 7am. Staff officer said 10am listing is so passengers would book later flights as we were coming all the way from Tortola and bad seas or strong currents could add a little time to the trip, but they planned to arrive around 7-8 am as normal. That said, we ran full speed (approx 24 knots) until late Saturday when we ran into last week's storm with rough seas and 60+ knot winds across the deck.

We were booked on a 12:10 Amtrak train and were at Penn station by 9:15 (first group off without having to haul your own bags).

Thanks for this information. I thought ship would arrive at 10am and was going to have car service pick us up later now I know to have them come earlier.

Our cruise last week said 10 am but they changed it mid-cruise to 8am. They say 10 just in case the seas are bad and they cant cruise at the speed they need to arrive on time. That's what was explained to us.

We have been on over 25 cruises ( this will be 2nd time on Gem last time was to the Mediterranean). The arrival time of the ship on our itinerary says 10am. .... latest we have ever seen! Usually arrival is noted around 7am. That's why we were wondering about 9:30 as an option time to arrive for check in. Normally it's chaos with passengers debarking.

Guess we will arrive around 11am and play it safe.

Thank you for all the input!

Our cruise last week said 10 am but they changed it mid-cruise to 8am. They say 10 just in case the seas are bad and they cant cruise at the speed they need to arrive on time. That's what was explained to us.

Well crap! Of course we just booked our return flights and due to the posted 10am we passed on the 12:50 (cheaper) flight that would have gotten us home for supper and are instead on the 4:55 get home at 10pm flight. :mad:

In the past eight years. 10 am is when the Cruise Director gives the last call to leave the ship. Some passengers, maybe a hundred, want to stay on the ship until the last moment for whatever reason.

I am taking my third Gem cruise from NYC this February 27th.

Edited by Richpontone

Been on the Breakaway twice and usually park at the pier arriving at 930am with plenty of parking at pier 88..... first time on the Gem and curious if we would also park at 88 or have us on 90 then walk over. TIA

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

In the past eight years. 10 am is when the Cruise Director gives the last call to leave the ship. Some passengers, maybe a hundred, want to stay on the ship until the last moment for whatever reason.

Thanks for the info,

So it appears that the 10:00 am arrival is NOT when the ship arrives in port but when it is free of the last past passengers and to welcome the current passengers.

This is different from other cruise lines we have sailed (Celebrity, Princess, RCL and Carnival) that give you the time the ship arrives in port.

Thank you for clarifying.

NCL usually lists the time the ship is due in to port. I've sailed on other NCL cruises, and this has always been the case in the past. That's why this one is confusing! Maybe (as someone else said) its to give some "wiggle room" in the event there are rough seas on the way back...

Sent from my iPad using Forums