Can anyone help me understand this cancellation letter?

poobears

I mentioned in a post before that we weren't sure if we going to be able to go and was wondering when would be the best time to cancel. Well we decided not to go and went ahead and cancelled the cruise since our final deposit date was next month, I didn't want it to sneak up on us. I know since we are ES that there is a $50 pp fee and that the rest of the deposits paid will be held for a future cruise credit to be used within 24 months. But from the looks of this letter it looks like the took the whole deposit as a penalty, isn't that what it says? Also there's no mention of the other money we paid on the cruise, we paid over $1,300 so far on it.

cancellation_zps2utvyhtz.jpg

I've cancelled one cruise before but it was booked during one of the special $50 deposit sales so there was no money in limbo with that one.

I'm so confused UGH :confused:

When you cancel an ES booking, for some reason Carnival considers the whole deposit (in your case, $250 pp for the first 2 guests and $179pp for the 3/4 guests) as a "penalty", even though you're really only losing $50 pp (providing you go on another cruise in the next 24 months). The other $200pp will be held for a future cruise. As far as the rest of what you've paid, they will probably refund it back to the card you originally used to pay for it. But I'd probably call my PVP just to double check if I were you.

I'm from Louisiana so my math isn't the greatest, but it looks like your future cruise credit should be $200 + 200 (first two guests) + 129 +129 (3/4 guest), for a total of $658.

I probably didn't explain it that clearly, but hopefully you can figure out what I'm saying.

Edited by bigman01

I did see the link to fill out for a future cruise credit for when we sail in the future but then I saw the penalty below and it showed the total deposit instead of the deposits -$50 like it should so that is what was throwing me off. I have zero issues paying a $50pp penalty that's part of ES bookings and DH's fault for insisting we switch because he was 100% sure he was going, that's no biggie at all. I just don't want to lose the whole $800 that's a biggie lol

From reading their website FAQs it says the future cruise credit is held in the name of the person who paid and that would be DH but this letter doesn't say that. Anyone know for sure?

I did see the link to fill out for a future cruise credit for when we sail in the future but then I saw the penalty below and it showed the total deposit instead of the deposits -$50 like it should so that is what was throwing me off. I have zero issues paying a $50pp penalty that's part of ES bookings and DH's fault for insisting we switch because he was 100% sure he was going, that's no biggie at all. I just don't want to lose the whole $800 that's a biggie lol

From reading their website FAQs it says the future cruise credit is held in the name of the person who paid and that would be DH but this letter doesn't say that. Anyone know for sure?

Last time I checked the future cruise credit was for the name on the credit card, but you could just apply it to the cabin as a whole...best to call Carnival and verify. :)

I know since we are ES that there is a $50 pp fee and that the rest of the deposits paid will be held for a future cruise credit to be used within 24 months.

Which is exactly what the letter says, so I'm not sure why you are confused.

As for the money you paid above the deposit, I guarantee that it will be automatically refunded to your form of payment used to make the payments. It will just take a little while to show up.

Sorry you had to cancel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No worries then since you were expecting to lose those $$$ and getting the rest in FCC.

Which is exactly what the letter says, so I'm not sure why you are confused.

As for the money you paid above the deposit, I guarantee that it will be automatically refunded to your form of payment used to make the payments. It will just take a little while to show up.

Sorry you had to cancel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Because there's nothing in the letter that separates the amounts (the $50 you are losing vs the amount you can use later towards a cruise). It looks like all of the money is lost since the total is listed under penalty. You'd think they would break it down and say you penalty $200, future cruise credit $658 if that's what it actually is.

Thanks for all the help, I guess I will wait until we rebook and hope for the best. Although Dh may not be able to cruise in the next 2 years so we will probably lose all the money anyways if it goes into his name. If they will let us use our portion then we will at least get that part back.

Thanks for all the help, I guess I will wait until we rebook and hope for the best. Although Dh may not be able to cruise in the next 2 years so we will probably lose all the money anyways if it goes into his name. If they will let us use our portion then we will at least get that part back.

Call your PVP and ask them to explain it to you.

Although Dh may not be able to cruise in the next 2 years so we will probably lose all the money anyways if it goes into his name. If they will let us use our portion then we will at least get that part back.

You actually have to BOOK within the next 24 months, not cruise. So you still have more time.

You can have that credit transferred to your name. There is a form that you fill out to have it done. There's a $20 charge for doing it, which they take from the credit. Although the last credit that was transferred to me didn't take that fee. A PVP can help you with this. I suggest you call and ask for one. It's a very easy process.

You actually have to BOOK within the next 24 months, not cruise. So you still have more time.

This is not correct. Per the ES terms, the credit has to be used on a cruise within 24 months:

......A $50 change fee per guest will be assessed for ship and/or sail date changes made prior to final payment due date. Remaining funds are nonrefundable/nontransferable and will be held as a future cruise credit to be applied to your cruise fare on a sailing within 24 months from the date of cancellation. Unused portions are forfeited.

To repeat another poster, Carnival is keeping your non-refundable deposit of $858.00.

There is a cancellation penalty of $50 per guest. which reduces your non-refundable funds to $658.

Carnival will hold the $658. for 24 months, ready to apply it to another booking.

If you do not book within 24 months the $658. goes away.

Monies paid in excess of $858. (your original deposit) will be refunded to you shortly.

Edited by thinfool

We recently cancelled a cruise under ES too. Got the same letter showing they entire amount as "penalty".

I questioned it as well. Our PVP explained that it reads that way for "accounting purposes" - they show the entire amount as a penalty and then issue a credit for the future cruise amount (your deposit minus the $50) that is good for 24 months from the date of cancellation.

I also found out that "future cruise" does not have to be a new booking. We already have another cruise booked and they are applying the credit to that one!!