Fly into FLL, stay in Miami, transportation to port?

claireruth

Bear with me, please, as this is our first ever cruise, my first question on these boards, and I'm completely overwhelmed! LOL! All-inclusive resorts seem much easier than cruises. ;)

My kids (ages 8 and 11) and I are flying in to FLL on 3/10 for our 3/11 cruise our of Miami. My husband will be traveling for work that week and flying into either FLL or MIA from his assignment. Are there transportation options from FLL to hotels in Miami, or would we be better off looking into renting a car one way?

Then once we're in Miami (hotel still TBD but hoping to use Hilton points) are we better off staying near the port or can we stay anywhere? The 10th is my 40th birthday, so I want to be able to go somewhere awesome for dinner that night, but that's really my only requirement. :) Although we've never been to Miami, so if there was something cool to see while we're there that night I'd be down with that.

For the day of the cruise is it easy enough to take an Uber to the port from wherever we stay? Or is there a better way to get there? I think we chose a 10:30 arrival time to get to the cruise.

Any help is much appreciated! TIA!!

If you read down the board, you will see tons of info on your questions. First, it commonly recommended to stay in Ft Lauderdale, as it is generally cheaper, and shuttle to the port the next day. Assuming you are arriving in FLL later in the day, shuttles get less and less available, later in the day.

Shuttles are inexpensive and easy to use. Rental cars for 3 or 4 are not a bad deal either. But if you stay in Ft Lauderdale, I think shuttle is the better choice.

You are arriving this March? That will be peak season, very expensive, and things are booking up. I wouldn't wait any longer than you have to. There are many Hiltons in both areas, and, given you are 4, at least one Embassy Suites in both areas.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I, too, am flying into FLL for a cruise out of Miami, but silly me booked a hotel in South Beach, and discovered a real hassle finding how to get from airport to South Beach. Most of the shuttles only went as far as downtown Miami hotels. I finally booked a shuttle through Viator to South Beach. We wanted to stay at an Art Deco Hotel the day before. Next time, I will fly into whatever port I'm sailing from and save the hassle. We usually fly into FLL, stay in Ft Lauderdale, and cruise out of that port. There are plenty of hotels on 17th St near that port. So convenient! I guess I will take a taxi from hotel to port. Not sure if Uber can get in the port. (I thought I'd read that somewhere, but can't be positive)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with the above advice to stay near FLL and shuttle to POM the morning of your cruise. http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info ;)

If your husband winds up flying into MIA then I would choose a downtown Miami hotel. Hotels in the Mary Brickell area, Hyatt, Intercontinental, Doubletree and a couple of Marriott options are often suggested on this board. Taxi from downtown to POM will cost about $12 :cool:

Uber from FLL to either downtown Miami hotels or South Beach, depending slightly upon location, should be about $40-45 - forget about per person shuttles later in the day when availability goes down and prices go up. By comparison, a taxi on the same route will be about $75-80+tip

It really all depends on how important the night before the cruise is to you. But without taking into consideration the cost of hotels in Miami that time of year I would suggest this.

You and your kids take an uber from FLL to a Downtown Miami/Brickell area hotel. An Uber should cost about $35.00-$40.00. From that area you can chose plenty of places to eat and see that day/night before your cruise, all within walking distance, $5.00 ubers or the free metromover transit system. Countless amount of options for a nice dinner. Then the next day to the port you can just take a $10-$12 taxi ride or $7.00 Uber ride. Should take 5-10 mins.

Ubers pick up and drop off anywhere in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. No restrictions with ports or airports.

The other option is staying in Lauderdale. You could likely get a free shuttle to a Lauderdale hotel, stay around there for the night and then take a shuttle or Uber to Port Miami. For four people and shuttle won't be cheaper than an Uber. Also depending on where you stay in Lauderdale, most places are not very walkable unlike the Downtown/Brickell Miami area.

I see no reason to rent a car for either option.

The positive and negatives for Miami are, walkable and countless options for dinner, and a very cheap, short, and easy ride to the port the next morning. Negatives, longer drive from FLL, no free shuttles, typically more expensive hotels.

The positives and negatives fro Lauderdale: Not as walkable for options for dinner and things to do, but free/shorter ride from the airport, but a much longer ride to the port the day of your cruise.

Edited by Flymia

Has anyone used QLS or SAS shuttle service from FLL to POM and back? When I clicked on QLS's "terms and conditions" there were so many misspellings that didn't sit well with me. Please advise so that I can make my reservations for my NOS March cruise. Thanks so much!

UBER! We took uber from The National (in south beach) to FLL and it was about $40 for both of us. We took QLS from a hotel in FLL to POM and it was about $15pp. Honestly, we won't stay in FLL again if cruising out of miami and flying into FLL. South Beach was a lot more fun and prettier. Our hotel in FLL was kinda nasty.

There is a hampton inn right by the beach and near Lincoln Rd Mall, you could try that if you want to use points. We are considering staying there next time.

*If I were traveling with my kids (6&8) I would definitely stay in south beach over a ft lauderdale hotel by the airport.

The uber to POM from south beach is not expensive at all. You can get an estimated cost if you google uber fares miami.

Have fun!!!

This past November we flew into Fort Lauderdale, took a Lyft from the airport to the Hilton Miami Airport hotel on Blue Lagoon for our one night stay (used Hilton points).

Took a Lyft from the hotel to the Port of Miami the next morning for our Carnival cruise.

Post-cruise, booked Larry's Limo from POM back to the Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale for a 2-night stay. (Could have used Lyft from the port--will do in the future).

We also used Lyft to get from the Embassy Suites to the FLL airport for our trip home.

We found it very easy to get from FLL to the hotel in Miami, and also easy to get to the port.

We like Lyft--Uber is fine.

We've used QLS, Larry's, and GoAirport Shuttle in the past as well--all are good.

Has anyone used QLS or SAS shuttle service from FLL to POM and back? When I clicked on QLS's "terms and conditions" there were so many misspellings that didn't sit well with me. Please advise so that I can make my reservations for my NOS March cruise. Thanks so much!

SAS. QLS, MJS and Go Airport shuttle are suggested on this board almost every day. We've used both SAS & QLS in the past and were happy. Check their web sites to see which picks up at your pre-cruise hotel.

Ive used SAS three times and will use them again this November. Great service, quick response. :)

edited to add:

hmmm, or might try Uber...with one of the first time user codes, the ride would be free or close to it...and no worries about the shuttle having to go and pick up other pax

Edited by Anthomaniac