Cozumel Chankanaab National Park

Coolmom50

Hi, we're thinking of going here for our day in Cozumel. Please let me know your experiences. I understand you pay a fee to enter and you can spend the day. Anything special you suggest to do here? What cost? What is the average cost of a day spent here with food and activities?

Or feel free to suggest another excursion you feel tops this one. We really are open to ideas.

Thank you!

It can be cheap to expensive, depends on what you want to do.

They have a dolphin swim available for example, which adds $ to the tab pretty fast.

We have done it a couple of times just as a beach break in which case its pretty reasonable, from memory something like $15-$20 per person to get in, cab ride was about $10-$15 each way (total). Drinks and food were "regular restaurant" price levels.

Brought our own goggles so snorkeling/swimming was free.

I went last month and enjoyed it. I booked through a tour company online. I would tell you but I'm sure due to cruise critic rules I can't...But for $39.99 you get the food included, snorkel and equipment all included...There is also a tequila tasting place, sea lion show, botanical garden...Its really nice. I am planning to go back on my cruise in September. Look this up on Google and you should be able to find the company

Cozumel Chankanaab Beach Park Snorkel and All Inclusive Day Pass Excursion*S2164

Sent from my LG-D850 using Forums mobile app

Try Googling for a $2 off coupon. I know there is one, but am unsure of the website. It might be cozumelinsider.com. I think the entrance price is $21 or it has been in the past. This is a very nice area with plenty of swimming, snorkeling, and some trails thru vegetation. The sea lion show is free. But, if you just want a beach, it would cost less to go to a beach club as far as paying an entry fee. You should go to the Ports of Call boards and read the tons of information on Cozumel.

Very nice place----was 16 us to get in for adults---there is a 2 off per person coupon that you can print at "Cozumel insider"-----nice beach with chaises and shade ---nice botanical garden with iguanas-----fo0d and drinks reasonable with beach servers----plenty of cabs to get you back----never too crowded

Paul

We went in September and really enjoyed our day. The taxi ride was $12.00 from the International pier. That was for up to 4 people. The cost for entry is $21.00 per person and you can get a $2.00 off coupon here:

http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/chankanaab.cfm

We also went there as a beach break. We ordered a couple drinks and nachos/salsa. Very refreshing. Then, a lady came around offering massages 2/1. We got 1/2 hour for $30. So for the $30, we each got a 1/2 hr massage, plus a bottle of water.

We went to the seal show, and it was good. We enjoyed it. It's very pretty along the beach, and we really enjoyed it. Arrive early to get a great spot with a palapa shade and chairs (No charge).

When we were ready to leave, we saw another couple from our ship (saw their towels) and asked if they wanted to share the taxi ride back. Cost was total of $12.00 for the 4 of us, which made it $6.00/couple.

IMHO, a really nice beach day. They have full restaurant, bar service, pool. A great relaxing day at the beach. I would definitely go again.

Edited by debshomespun

For a beach break I rather visit paradise beach but I went to this place on December because we had a tour from the ship to swim with dolphin. For us was super convenient to book with the ship since transportation was included and they allow you to stay there for extra hours. I didn't eat but drinks were ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you've never tried scuba, don't miss the opportunity to try where you can just walk in. I forgot the name of the vendor in booth number 3, but the equipment was excellent, the 1/2 pre-training comprehensive and informative, and the hour session was a full hour. You see so much more than when snorkeling, well worth the $60/pp (plus a good tip for the guide if he's as good for you as he was for us).

Edited by nealstuber

We have been to Chankanaab and Nachi Cocom in Cozumel. We preferred Nachi. It depends on what you want to do. We wanted a quiet, low crowd beach day. Nachi only lets in 100 people. Food and drinks included. Everything was great. Chankanaab was very nice. We did dolphin swim and snorkeling and zip lining. It was crowded and expensive.

We have been to Chankanaab and Nachi Cocom in Cozumel. We preferred Nachi. It depends on what you want to do. We wanted a quiet, low crowd beach day. Nachi only lets in 100 people. Food and drinks included. Everything was great. Chankanaab was very nice. We did dolphin swim and snorkeling and zip lining. It was crowded and expensive.

We've done Nachi several times, but have never been to Chankanaab. Curious what the ballpark cost of lunch would be at Chankanaab?

We've done Nachi several times, but have never been to Chankanaab. Curious what the ballpark cost of lunch would be at Chankanaab?

When we went I had booked everything online with them for the dolphin swim. I arrived with the coupon for the entrance discount (for the ones not doing dolphin swim as entrance is included with that). They then asked me to pay for the buffet lunch - no alcohol included. It ended up being around $80 for 7 of us (4 adults and 3 kids aged 5 who I think were "free") just for the lunch. It was all done in pesos with their conversion rate. The food was ok. They gave us a bracelet and said we could only go once, it it didn't appear anyone was monitoring. I was annoyed by the whole thing. The beach isn't nice - it's very rocky and in most places you take a ladder down to the water. There's only one part that's good and it's packed with kids (mine included that day). If you're not doing the dolphin encounter, Nachi is much better, IMO (been there too). I couldn't understand the sea lion encounter lady. She spoke in Spanish and English, but the microphone wasn't working well and I couldn't hear/understand her. Definitely more to do, but not as relaxing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by TripleU

When we went I had booked everything online with them for the dolphin swim. I arrived with the coupon for the entrance discount (for the ones not doing dolphin swim as entrance is included with that). They then asked me to pay for the buffet lunch - no alcohol included. It ended up being around $80 for 7 of us (4 adults and 3 kids aged 5 who I think were "free") just for the lunch. It was all done in pesos with their conversion rate. The food was ok. They gave us a bracelet and said we could only go once, it it didn't appear anyone was monitoring. I was annoyed by the whole thing. The beach isn't nice - it's very rocky and in most places you take a ladder down to the water. There's only one part that's good and it's packed with kids (mine included that day). If you're not doing the dolphin encounter, Nachi is much better, IMO (been there too). I couldn't understand the sea lion encounter lady. She spoke in Spanish and English, but the microphone wasn't working well and I couldn't hear/understand her. Definitely more to do, but not as relaxing.

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like it's less expensive than Nachi, especially if you don't drink, but more crowded and not as nice beach area.

On our trip, we stopped at Falmouth, Georgetown, and Cozumel. Both Georgetown and Cozumel have Dolphin Swim encounters, but only Cozumel has the Sea Lion encounter. We decided to book the Dolphin encounter in Georgetown and do the Sea Lion encounter at Chankanaab and we are glad we did. I think the Chankanaab Dolphin area is larger but it was also quite a bit more crowded with visitors. But the biggest shocker for us is that we were the only ones who booked the Sea Lion encounter. There was just us two, the trainer, a photographer, and a Sea Lion. We had a very personalized experience where we got to hold the Sea Lion, do some funny poses, and ask any questions we had.

As for the rest of the park, we just lounged in some chairs. The area out to the ocean is very rocky to the point where there are stairways to get into the water (by at least 6-7 steps). Once in the water, there are a few more rocks but don't expect to be able to stand up more than 5 feet out. There is a small lagoon area that has a sandy beach but the loungers fill up quick. There are plenty of lockers and a shower area near the main building, and there is a small bar / restaurant that is near the beach that also has a few lockers.

Chankanaab also has zip-lining, a nice walking path, and kayak rentals. I think overall, we spent a bit more than half our day there.

If you've never tried scuba, don't miss the opportunity to try where you can just walk in. I forgot the name of the vendor in booth number 3, but the equipment was excellent, the 1/2 pre-training comprehensive and informative, and the hour session was a full hour. You see so much more than when snorkeling, well worth the $60/pp (plus a good tip for the guide if he's as good for you as he was for us).

How old do you have to be to scuba? I have 2 14 yr old girls that may want to try this.

I went last month and enjoyed it. I booked through a tour company online. I would tell you but I'm sure due to cruise critic rules I can't...But for $39.99 you get the food included, snorkel and equipment all included...There is also a tequila tasting place, sea lion show, botanical garden...Its really nice. I am planning to go back on my cruise in September. Look this up on Google and you should be able to find the company

Cozumel Chankanaab Beach Park Snorkel and All Inclusive Day Pass Excursion*S2164

Sent from my LG-D850 using Forums mobile app

I think by forum rules you are not allowed to give info on tour companies unsolicited. So in that note, what is the name of the company that you think was a good value?

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like it's less expensive than Nachi, especially if you don't drink, but more crowded and not as nice beach area.

I think I have heard scuba was available there? If so I might consider it. I have been to Cozumel 5 times and never dove there.

How much do the sea lion and dolphin encounters cost? How much do the pictures cost and can you just buy one picture not a package?

It depends on what "encounter" you chose with the dolphins. Sea Lion discovery is $59. More prices here: http://www.**********************cozumel/

As far as pictures... yes, you can purchase single prints (sorry, don't remember the cost), or you can get a disc with all the pictures for everyone in your party. That is priced based on the number of people in your party (ie: for 2 people it's $x, for 5 people it's $y). However, they don't know who's in your party and additional discs are $10 IIRC. So if you're a couple, and you befriend another couple that was in the same pool as you, you can pay the cost for 4 people and an extra disc and then split the cost. That's cheaper than paying for two couples.

I will say the pictures are pretty good and a nice memory (you're not allowed to take your own pictures).

How much do the sea lion and dolphin encounters cost? How much do the pictures cost and can you just buy one picture not a package?

We booked directly through Dolphin Discovery (they are the company that runs both parks' Dolphin and Sea Lion areas). I think I was able to find coupons or discount codes somewhere online with some research.

Yes you can purchase a single photo, I want to say it was around $15-$20. I do remember that we had a couple good shots that we wanted and once you get to about 3-4 photos, we thought the package was worth the extra cost. You get a couple physical prints but then a disc with every image they took. I just checked and we have 45 photos from the Dolphin experience in Georgetown and 124 photos from the Sea Lion experience at Chankanaab. Granted I do think this was due to our good luck because we were by ourselves. They have photo kiosks where you can look at all the pictures and then decide which ones you would like.

I asked about that before seeing your post on this page, so thank you! I am already certified, but I imagine they have something there.

How old do you have to be to scuba? I have 2 14 yr old girls that may want to try this.

I didn't ask but my kids were 15 & 17 at the time and there were a couple of kids who appeared younger in our group. While I did have to sign for my minors no proof of age was asked for.

They also do photos and since they are not affiliated with the park the prices are negotiable. I think we paid $35 for a cd full of pics at the gate as we left.

Most of the beaches on the developed side are rocky, but they also lend themselves to great walk in snorkeling which is not the case with sandy beaches. If you're thinking you might snorkel, and you are driving to the ship, it might be worth Amazoning a couple of snorkel sets.

I didn't ask but my kids were 15 & 17 at the time and there were a couple of kids who appeared younger in our group. While I did have to sign for my minors no proof of age was asked for.

They also do photos and since they are not affiliated with the park the prices are negotiable. I think we paid $35 for a cd full of pics at the gate as we left.

Most of the beaches on the developed side are rocky, but they also lend themselves to great walk in snorkeling which is not the case with sandy beaches. If you're thinking you might snorkel, and you are driving to the ship, it might be worth Amazoning a couple of snorkel sets.

I was thinking of purchasing snorkel gear. How much does it cost to rent?

I think 8 or 10 bucks. We purchased ours years ago when we went to Bermuda where we had 3 days of no fee beaches with walk in snorkeling. They paid for themselves then and every use since has been gravy. If grand cayman is on your itinerary, paradise also is a good spot and the rentals there are much more expensive.

Edited by nealstuber