**Solo to Singapore! Live From the Diamond- January 17, 2017**

TracieABD

Thanks for taking us along on your trip. Great reading. Tracie is there anything that you would take with you next time that you forgot to take this time. Specifically for this trip. Words of advise when traveling to this part of the world. :)

Joe

Tracie,

As always I love your reviews!!! :D:D

Are you in the picture of the trivia team? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks for taking the time to write this!

Yes I am!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am glad you enjoyed your solo cruise. I loved my Diamond Japan cruise last year so much that I am taking another Japan itinerary this May. Like you, I found out that cruising solo is very enjoyable but expensive. Perhaps one day Princess will follow some of the other lines and introduce single cabins.

January 25, 2017

Phuket, Thailand

Hi friends-

As some of you are aware- Phuket is a tender port-- and on the last few cruises there has been a little back and forth with the local businesses on who should have the esteemed privilege of ferrying the cruisers from ship to shore. As Carol (Pushka) intimated in a previous thread- the Thai have large ferries- but it in the end it is probably cheaper for Princess to drop their tenders to move the crowds. On this voyage, the Thai won- and we were tendered by the large ferries. Actually, this works better for the passengers- as the ferries are large and can hold about 3 or 4 times the passengers as the tenders can. Also, loading and unloading seem to be a bit easier.

I hopped on DDiamond's (Donna, Brenda, and their mom's) private tour to canoe in the caves. Charles joined us, as well, making us a group of 5. Early that morning- there was an announcement that the similar/ comparable Princess shore-ex to James Bond island was canceled for undetermined reasons. This was one of the popular and expensive tours- leaving a crowd of angry passengers- including Jay and Pat (our travel mates in Kuala Lumpur).

Because, Brenda took one for the team and got in the tender line very early, we drew group 2- which was fabulous- because we were on shore by 8:30 am. We did not know what our vehicle looked like, so we could not invite Pat and Jay to join us- and once our driver joined us with his 9 passenger van- we had no way to contact them. The day was tinged with a bit of guilt- as I really, really like Pat and Jay- and they would have had a great time.

It was a two hour drive to the area where we would catch the low, flat, wooden boats that would carry us out to the caves. The ride was about 20 minutes to "James Bond Island", which was so crowded and touristy- we only stayed for about 15 minutes- before we headed out to the area with the canoes.

4ea9676eff841a0b947091747320a309.jpg

Once we reached the huge pontoon platforms- we were directed to our "canoes". The canoes are actually small, inflatable sit-aboard kayaks- that can hold no more than 3 people- and one of those is the "paddler".

c214066ae38699ea7326f11d6b6cba31.jpg

So, bear with me as I digress a bit... It seems to me that in this part of Thailand- this is a bit of graft which you find at every turn. So the deal with the kayaks is 1) No. You cannot paddle your own. 2) There seems to be a hierarchy among the paddlers. 3) I don't think you can refuse to tip. I guess, fortunately for us, we had the consigliere of paddlers- permitting us to go to caves where no others were allowed to go. He really seemed to have an undue amount of influence on the other paddlers for sure. The caves were amazing- but there was a lot of boat traffic- so there was no wildlife spotted. Just rocks that jutted out of the water and mangroves. It was a nice paddle- save for the 8 dozen reminders that we needed to tip. Poor Charles- as the only male with a group of 4 women- there was additional pressure for him to tip for the entire group.

44cd1d01be4335f23748604dad07fb52.jpg

After the kayaks- we headed to a floating village for lunch. This is a Muslim village- so I assume the food was halal.

eccf530ee6af68be52b29959b718ccc7.jpg

Upon sitting, we were served rice, a whole fish, chicken and cashews, chicken drumsticks, an egg frittata of sorts, a shrimp dish, and lemongrass soup. Everything was served family style- and was very good. Lunch was included in the price of our tour. The it was back on the wooden boat to shore- to board the van- back to Phuket.

f8a8779ee08316cd90ed3260b09194c8.jpg

On the ride back, we saw Phuket in full swing-- restaurants, massage parlors, Internet cafes, bars, and travel agencies. In the Patong beach area- it was just wall to wall- and so many people. A lot of Europeans and Aussies. Without being too insulting, it was a bit like a Thai version of Daytona Beach during American college Spring Break. I may have loved it 30 years ago- but now??? Not so much. I was really grateful Donna helped us to get out of town.

I returned to the ship in time for trivia- which to be perfectly honest, I cannot remember if we won or lost- it is sort of a big trivia-blur. At this point if we win, we don't accept the prizes. Just how many Princess caribeaners can one person use...

I ran up to shower for dinner. While the menu was slightly less appealing than on previous nights- I decided to try the griddled lentil cakes with egg. While it was not what I was expecting, it was surprisingly good. Dense. But good. Dessert, however, not so much. I had the warm fudge cookie with ice cream- which had the consistence of particle board. Seeing as I am in no danger of starving- I ate one bite and left it.

2ea8f48aadac7f3340e85fcb3f611975.jpg

I decided to attend the Stevie B. production show- which was a study in narcissism to say the least. It was billed as a one-man show- even though he was backed by an orchestra. He sang. He danced. He showed us a PowerPoint show of his family. But what finished me was the original composition that he played for us. The song was a tribute to his parents relationship- and was called --- wait for it--- "The Lonely Juggler". Nope. Not kidding. The song was meant to be very serious, but I got a terrible case of the giggles and had to leave. Thankfully, when selecting a seat, I planned for a quick exit. Thank goodness. Later that evening- I walked past a lovely couple who were laughing hysterically- the only words I could make out were "lonely juggler". So glad I was not the only one.

I also attended the Marriage Match game. Normally, this is great- but this time? Not so much. The "newlyweds" we're married for 16 years- and they won. Honestly, I think the contestants were fine- the cruse staff were lacking in this one.

Knowing that tomorrow is my last day- I decided to call it night and headed of to bed.

Thanks for muddling through.

Anyone want to join me in a chorus of "The Lonely Juggler"? If you don't know the words, you can just hum along!

Tracie-Lynn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing your wonderful adventure. We are from Lake Norman! Sherrills Ford specifically. Mooresville, exit 36, haead west if you haven't heard of it. We are departing Feb. 25 for a 12 day on Diamond. Getting very excited. Phuket was particularly interesting as there has been some discussion as to where we will actually dock/anchor. Princess says at the Deep Sea Port on the east side of the island and the tender. Some have said we will actually dock. Quite confusing and difficult for arranging tours. We're hoping to go the Phuket Elephant Sanctuary. It will depend on how quickly we can get to shore. Did you by chance know anyone who went there? I haven't read all of your posts however I look forward searching the thread for them.

Thanks again. Maybe some day we'll run into each other!

God Bless,

Gail

• 3 weeks later...

Wow.... amazing info .thank you.

Who did you use for your private transfer in K Lumpur please ?

We are hoping to go to the elephant park in BALI.... did you meet anyone that went there? After feedback really.

Thanks again as I first timer to princess it's all very helpful. We hope to go on sapphire on 8th Feb 2018

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much for making me feel like I was with you the whole way. I really appreciate your updates.

A quick question - what was the cost for your sea days at the sanctuary? I was under the impression that you had to pay for the whole time.

thank you

Thank you very much for making me feel like I was with you the whole way. I really appreciate your updates.

A quick question - what was the cost for your sea days at the sanctuary? I was under the impression that you had to pay for the whole time.

thank you

I got off the Diamond last week after 11 days, we used the Sanctuary for the 3 sea days in the cruise it was $40 per day per person or $20 for a half day. If you wanted to book every day for the cruise it was $30 per day.

I got off the Diamond last week after 11 days, we used the Sanctuary for the 3 sea days in the cruise it was $40 per day per person or $20 for a half day. If you wanted to book every day for the cruise it was $30 per day.

Thank you very much! We are in budget planning and are not huge book club fans or trivia players so thought this might be another good option to chill outside. Our debate is if we want to do this or the onsen but maybe now we can do both with your information - half day here and half day there. :)

Thank you very much! We are in budget planning and are not huge book club fans or trivia players so thought this might be another good option to chill outside. Our debate is if we want to do this or the onsen but maybe now we can do both with your information - half day here and half day there. :)

x

If, you are interested in the Sanctuary, I would go as soon as you board the ship to reserve your chairs for the week, day or 1/2 day as they fill up. They were turning people away on my cruise.

We are doing a Japan cruise - we had done one before and on the last day of the cruise as we were waiting to disembark - oh my! we found that lounge on the top deck. We only found the pool at the back of the ship the last day before we were to disembark (supposedly an adult pool) but there were young'uns and when you want to unwind sometimes noise just isn't in the vocabulary.

We didn't get to really experience the Diamond because it took us so long to figure out where things were (like which side our cabin was on!). Hence this time I think we are planning to do more exploration of the ship than just the promenade deck - eating - and our room;p

So the responses to the Sanctuary are perfect! Thanks....we will still keep in mind about the early sign up because I think this cruise my sister is also gonna wanna check out more spa stuff, so depending on our budget we may have to pick and choose.

We didn't get to really experience the Diamond because it took us so long to figure out where things were (like which side our cabin was on!).

If you're disoriented when you come out of the elevators/stairwells, the hallway carpet on port side has 'stripes' of red waves on the borders. The starboard hallway carpet has blue waves.

Thank you for your wonderful review of Diamond and your Singapore adventure. We did the same itinerary 3 years ago and loved every minute. It brought back many happy memories.

We never went to the gardens but would love to return.

If you're disoriented when you come out of the elevators/stairwells, the hallway carpet on port side has 'stripes' of red waves on the borders. The starboard hallway carpet has blue waves.

May I ask if this is for the sapphire princess too please 😀

• 8 months later...

My apologies for resurrecting this old thread but I just wanted to take a moment to thank TracieABD one more time for posting this excellent "Live from...". I'm going to be soloing this exact same itinerary in just a little over 3 weeks (but on the Sapphire) and I have read, re-read, re-re-read, and re-re-re-read these posts digesting everything and gathering up tonnes of tips.

I've even reached out and booked the same cycling tour in Penang and am quite excited about it.

So thank you again, TracieABD.

• 1 month later...

Wow! I never finished reading the comments on this thread. I had a whole bunch of life changes this year, so I haven’t vacationed since or yet, and I haven’t even checked into Cruise critic for months. I am so glad that you all enjoyed the thread. Not a day goes by where I don’t think about this vacation. It inspired me to take some risks and make some changes.

I am retiring in three days. I hope resume my travels soon.

Again, thank you for your kind words.

Tracie-Lynn:)