Ketchikan - Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer Cruise

Eaglecw

I have done this excursion and the name is a bit deceiving. There is a 45-minute high speed boat ride past the wilderness area but Federal law keeps the boat too far from land to see anything on the shoreline. There is about 30 minutes cruising the fjiord, and a 45-minute high-speed boat ride back past the designated wilderness area.

I would not recommend this excursion.

There is a variation of this excursion that has a float-plane ride on one of the legs that might be a better, but more pricey option.

We are in the same boat, so to speak. I voted for flightseeing in Ketchikan but my in-laws picked this. We haven't booked it yet and I am inclined to advise them to pick something else. However, I did read a great trip report with wonderful pictures of this excursion--but this guy had a great camera with zoom lens, etc. so that is why his pictures came out so great I think. I've read other reports that you are really far back to see any wildlife. Most online reviews are good. Decisions, decisions.

I suggested to my husband that we do the combination excursion mentioned above but it's over $100 more pp and there are 4 of us so not sure if the family will go for it.

Edited by Beachiekeen

I did the combo and it was OK. I am one who was not overwhelmed by the flight (most people love it) and was glad to get on the boat. We were close to land when we boarded the boat and did see a bear there. The boat ride was good for about 20 minutes and the rest was scenery similar to Ketchikan. The trip was over priced IMO.

We are in the same boat, so to speak. I voted for flightseeing in Ketchikan but my in-laws picked this. We haven't booked it yet and I am inclined to advise them to pick something else. However, I did read a great trip report with wonderful pictures of this excursion--but this guy had a great camera with zoom lens, etc. so that is why his pictures came out so great I think. I've read other reports that you are really far back to see any wildlife. Most online reviews are good. Decisions, decisions.

I suggested to my husband that we do the combination excursion mentioned above but it's over $100 more pp and there are 4 of us so not sure if the family will go for it.

This is not a tour with a good history of wildlife. IF you want to focus on one "great" report, do so. But, I would never pick it, nor would I go along with anyone IF I was wanting something else.

This tour itself isn't cheap, and being your post states 4 of you, aren't you all adults? Again split up if interests are otherwise. I'm posting from my perspective- that money is insignificant to me. Value of the tour is what is important.

We were thinking about doing a tour called 'classic misty fjords flightseeing' which is basically a seaplane there and back. It's pricy for a couple of hours, but we thought it would be a great experience (on our first trip to Alaska). We have the option of a morning or afternoon flight. Two questions: do you think this would be a good sightseeing option and secondly do you think the morning or afternoon flight would be better? Thanks everyone!

There is a variation of this excursion that has a float-plane ride on one of the legs that might be a better, but more pricey option.

We did this last time and were discussing last night if we wanted to do the flight part again or just boat both ways. Leaning strongly towards boat even thought the floatplane flight was really cool and a new experience of take-off and landing on water. View from the air was amazing too. But "been there, done that" and don't need to spend the extra this time but for sure worth it last time.

If we were picking a time to fly again we would lean toward afternoon for less chance of morning marine layer and low ceilings. Booking anything with a flight is a gamble on the weather.

• 2 weeks later...
We were thinking about doing a tour called 'classic misty fjords flightseeing' which is basically a seaplane there and back. It's pricy for a couple of hours, but we thought it would be a great experience (on our first trip to Alaska). We have the option of a morning or afternoon flight. Two questions: do you think this would be a good sightseeing option and secondly do you think the morning or afternoon flight would be better? Thanks everyone!

Use Island Wings - Michelle and her staff are phenomenal!!! You will not be disappointed - trust me. She'll give you the option of what kind of stop to make about half way through the trip - depends on what the passengers want to do. We landed on a gorgeous lake and tied off at the dock so we could get out and take pictures. One of the best days ever!!! The total trip was 2 hours I believe.

If I had to pick a flightseeing trip I'd choose first one from Juneau or Skagway over the Glaciers rather than Misty Fjords. In Ketchikan my choice is the flight with Michelle at Island Wings

If I had to pick a flightseeing trip I'd choose first one from Juneau or Skagway over the Glaciers rather than Misty Fjords. In Ketchikan my choice is the flight with Michelle at Island Wings

why would you choose Juneau over Misty Fjords?