Summit Review

bstrong3

Just off the Summit on the southern itinerary 1/7-1/14. The wife and I had a wonderful time, we have not cruised in about 6 years but found that the crew did an outstanding job of spoiling us. The embarkation was very smooth, on the ship by 11:30, the cabins ready by about 1:30. We had the classic beverage package and that was enough for us. Bar staff was wonderful. The buffet food ranged from ok to very good, main dining room food had no complaints. Tuscan grill , don't waste your money, no better than the dining room and we found the steaks tough along with some other issues, maybe we are just not pretentious enough.

Our room was a balcony mid-ship deck 7, only compliant there was the fridge was not cold and I asked to have it fixed. Our stateroom attendant said maintenance would get to it but it never was resolved, although our attendant made sure to keep our drinks for the room on ice the entire time, so no problem for us.

Onboard entertainment was enjoyable, iMagic we found to be ok, and the comedian Phil Palisoul was very funny. The Captain Alex Papadopoulos gave a thought of the day,which we found ourselves looking forward to everyday.

Over all we had a great time and would recommend the Summit.

Thank you for sharing. :):):) I was going to book the Summit again, and this is very good to hear. Just read another quick review of someone stating she was "RAVENOUS" and was afraid there wasn't any food on the ship.:confused:

Yes, that was me. There was literally NO food available upon return from port until 5:30, after sailaway. NOTHING available in the Oceanview cafe until after 5:30. I've never experienced anything like this on any cruise. I suppose I could have gone to Al Bacio for something sweet, but I was looking for some protein as I was experiencing some low blood sugar issues.

I've never had an experience on any cruise line where there was literally NO food available in the buffet for a time period, and this was completely different from our last sailing on Summit.

We just returned from the same cruise and found all is well on the Summit! I don't miss the "hawking" of drinks around the pool area as in the past and always saw wait staff available for those who needed to imbibe. We were in a Royal Suite and really enjoyed Luminae for our dinners...had eaten every evening in Normandie in the past and were dismayed with the replacement of Tuscan Grill...tried it only one night and were under-impressed with food choices, service and overall experience. The ship has been redone, especially the Thasso-pool area, and the overall experience is still a very relaxing and positive one. Already booked for next year at this time and will continue to enjoy the amenities offered...can't believe the amount of watches and jewelry in the shop area though! Can't imagine with all the food offerings throughout the ship as well as with room/butler service that anyone had a problem keeping "well-nourished"! :)

Yes, that was me. There was literally NO food available upon return from port until 5:30, after sailaway. NOTHING available in the Oceanview cafe until after 5:30. I've never experienced anything like this on any cruise. I suppose I could have gone to Al Bacio for something sweet, but I was looking for some protein as I was experiencing some low blood sugar issues.

I've never had an experience on any cruise line where there was literally NO food available in the buffet for a time period, and this was completely different from our last sailing on Summit.

There is a period of time during the late afternoon and late night when there is no food to be had. I guess there is no demand? At any rate, room service is always available and their turkey club sandwich is excellent.

There is a period of time during the late afternoon and late night when there is no food to be had. I guess there is no demand? At any rate, room service is always available and their turkey club sandwich is excellent.

Honestly, I don't understand how someone could be that hungry. Assuming you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, how are you starving (ravenous) in between the monstrous amount of food that is available? My husband and I usually skip lunch because we really are not that hungry and we want an "appetite" for dinner.

Honestly, I don't understand how someone could be that hungry. Assuming you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, how are you starving (ravenous) in between the monstrous amount of food that is available? My husband and I usually skip lunch because we really are not that hungry and we want an "appetite" for dinner.

Obviously, you have never lived with diabetes and experienced low blood sugar.

And trust me, there was demand for food when returning from port. Several people were in the Oceanview cafe looking for food for sailaway from the port. When we took the same cruise 5 years ago, I remember them putting out chips and guacamole, cheese and crackers, and other snacks that went well with a drink on the Sunset Bar deck. Now there's nothing. Just another cutback.

And trust me, there was demand for food when returning from port. Several people were in the Oceanview cafe looking for food for sailaway from the port. When we took the same cruise 5 years ago, I remember them putting out chips and guacamole, cheese and crackers, and other snacks that went well with a drink on the Sunset Bar deck. Now there's nothing. Just another cutback.

Actually, yes, I am. My whole life. Ravenous does not equal sugar level and no food available.

Well...your assumption is wrong. On the two days this happened to us, we did not have lunch on the one day and on the evening, we didn't have dinner.

Also,being diabetic, at times it is vital to have something to eat. I usually have a small candy just in case, although in most cases if necessary I get an orange juice if available. Barring emergency, it can become highly important to have some protein rather than a sweet.

Edited by Fish Lover

Really don't understand the judgment. I am just stating a fact: there was NO food in the Oceanview Cafe for a time period in the afternoon. This is something that blew my mind. NEVER experienced this on a cruise before.

Can we stop judging people on why they might want something to eat?

She stated her experience. It might not be yours. She shouldn't have to explain why she wanted something to eat, diabetic or not.

Getting back to the OP. Thanks for the review. We sailed Summit to Bermuda and are looking forward to sailing her next year to Canada/New England.

In reference to the fridge not being cold.... I don't think it is a true refrigerator just a cooler.

Really don't understand the judgment. I am just stating a fact: there was NO food in the Oceanview Cafe for a time period in the afternoon. This is something that blew my mind. NEVER experienced this on a cruise before.

Don't know if this would have helped but the Mast Grill above the pool has different things to eat till 4 or 5 every afternoon. Hamburgers,hot dogs,vege and turkey burgers plus French fries.

Edited by weregoingcruising
Spelling

I could be wrong, but I think the grill port side outside the buffet as you go to the pool from the buffet serves burgers at that time.

Thanks for your thoughts bstrong3. Regarding the mini fridge, I have never been on a Celebrity ship that kept anything with anything colder than a chill. We always ask our attendant to keep an ice bucket in our room. It used to be automatic, but no longer.

My wife and I were also on this cruise. We're relatively seasoned cruisers and enjoyed this cruise immensely. The ship is in good shape, the service and food were very good, the itinerary was great, and the entertainment was, well, entertaining! Looking forward to our next cruise in October on the Equinox!

Sent from my SM-G930U using Forums mobile app

We also miss the afternoon snacks in the buffet..they used to have tea sandwiches, cookies etc.

We are usually ok with the stateroom fruit & afternoon canapes served in AQ & ask for a variety.....but sometimes we order snacks from rm svc menu...

As suggested by a few posters, we will bring a sleeve of crackers to replace the saltines served on bd. We sometimes bring on small juices, just in case.

Edited by hcat

Honestly, the ship has too much to eat! Never fail to gain at least two pounds after a one week cruise. I cannot believe that people do not find things that they enjoy on board. We also loved Qsine it is a fun restaurant. Tuscan grill is okay, but we preferred Murano.

We typically book a suite and have had access to Luminae. Good for breakfast and occasional lunch and Dinner- we also like Bistro on Five and the grilled burgers and dogs on the deck above the pool. We never leave hungry!

Only disappointment is that other then the Royal and Penthouse suites, the other suites and cabins need immediate refurbishing. Hope that another dry dock addresses them soon. The fridge isn't really a fridge, it is a cooler and dosen't get nearly as cold as a true refridgerator.

Edited by Cruise a holic