Decline in bar service on Royal??

Yes, I've notice a difference between cash tip and tip on receipt. Much faster service with cash tip. I always watch them and they always stick the cash in their pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I do really believe there's a tie between drink packages - and fewer servers.

I totally agree. Roaming service declined with the advent of the drink packages...and not just on RCI. I noticed it on other lines as well, so I do not believe it's coincidence.

Gone are the days of the roaming server with drinks on his head shouting "baaaaah sahvisssss." Now, they are very few and far between.

With the addition of drink packages there is little motivation for servers to wander the pool. RCCL assigns a few to the pool area but in the old days people assigned other areas could come to the pool during down time and make some extra $$. Without the lure of extra cash why bother doing the extra work

Sitting in my cabin waiting for dinner on Freedom. We had a discussion about this yesterday (sea day). We never saw a single roaming bartender and the solarium looked a mess with only one person cleaning up glasses and plates. The line for the bar was terrible. The bartenders were very nice, but overwhelmed. Service in the Windjammer was few and far between also. Staff has been very nice just spread thin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Over the last several years, RCCL has had a business plan of expecting more with less. The reduction in service personnel has affected all aspects of their ships altho some area more than others. They will continue in this plan until passengers begin to answer back by not spending money they expect.

I totally agree. Roaming service declined with the advent of the drink packages...and not just on RCI. I noticed it on other lines as well, so I do not believe it's coincidence.

Gone are the days of the roaming server with drinks on his head shouting "baaaaah sahvisssss." Now, they are very few and far between.

Also gone are the days when a very frequent topic of complaints here on Cruise Critic was about the overabundance of "pushy pool servers" hawking overpriced, watered down drinks.

Seems we have a 180 degree shift in the gripe paradigm.

Edited by AdGuyMG

I thought about slipping them some cash on my next cruise to see if it made a difference. Not that I'm too lazy to walk to the bars or anything, but let's face it...we pay to be pampered lol.

We have found that this usually does make a difference, as well as striking up a conversation with them, asking their names, where they are from and how long they've been on the ship! I imagine they don't get an opportunity to talk much and most of them enjoy talking with the passengers who welcome conversation!;)

The fact is that as the number of passengers buying drink packages increase the number of bar servers has decreased. It is impossible not to conclude that with reduced service, drink amounts are restricted and RCCL limits its financial costs.In addition, those remaining bar servers, not being stupid, are far more attentive to passengers who tip in cash. This to me raises the saying Caveat Emptor ( buyer beware).

The fact is that as the number of passengers buying drink packages increase the number of bar servers has decreased. It is impossible not to conclude that with reduced service, drink amounts are restricted and RCCL limits its financial costs.In addition, those remaining bar servers, not being stupid, are far more attentive to passengers who tip in cash. This to me raises the saying Caveat Emptor ( buyer beware).

I get my share of drinks in a day with or without lines. Come on, how many drinks you think you might miss waiting a few minutes. I mean, one may generally walk to another bar within minutes for a drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I thought about slipping them some cash on my next cruise to see if it made a difference. Not that I'm too lazy to walk to the bars or anything, but let's face it...we pay to be pampered lol.

Don't just think about it do it. It will make a big difference in your service.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Forums mobile app

Just got off Navigator. Few pool servers but sea days only.

Something about hubs & I are invisible to servers & bartenders. We tip cash. We drink easy 2 ingredients mixed drinks. Have tipped 20.00 for free diamond member drink thinking surely they will come around to us or bartender will see if ready for another . Nope sit with empty glasses in search of or in long line. Even in diamond loung ignored over large demanding groups who do not tip. Stand at the bar still ignored. Every drink we tip something. But stay invisible. Hubs got so mad the last night he tipped the one girl staying she was the only one who waited on him all night an extra 100.00.

Now I can not blame the bartenders getting mad over people with drink cups banging them on the bar at them. That is RUDE

Cheers

Just got off Navigator. Few pool servers but sea days only.

Something about hubs & I are invisible to servers & bartenders. We tip cash. We drink easy 2 ingredients mixed drinks. Have tipped 20.00 for free diamond member drink thinking surely they will come around to us or bartender will see if ready for another . Nope sit with empty glasses in search of or in long line. Even in diamond loung ignored over large demanding groups who do not tip. Stand at the bar still ignored. Every drink we tip something. But stay invisible. Hubs got so mad the last night he tipped the one girl staying she was the only one who waited on him all night an extra 100.00.

Now I can not blame the bartenders getting mad over people with drink cups banging them on the bar at them. That is RUDE

Cheers

Whew! I agree, banging cups (and I've seen that too) is very rude!:mad: However, DH and I have never had a problem getting plenty of drinks in the DL! Heck, most days, while walking in, one particular server would even intercept us and ask, "would you like your usual?";) Our DL servers have always been wonderful!:cool: So sorry to hear about your bad experience! Did this happen to you in all or most of the DL's or just 1 or 2?:confused:

Wow, in the last 4 cruises, I never had an issue with bar service. Both at the bar or by roamers. Now, I agree that if you don't want to get up, you are going to have to wait. First you wait for the person to make the rounds in your area, than they go and fill the orders, and then bring them back. It does take time, and most of the time, I would just rather grab it at the bar.

I also noticed they have "beer stands" usually set up also, for quick drinks.

For the record, I tip exactly 18% for all my drinks, and get excellent service for all my needs. I just don't expect to snap my fingers and have someone behind me like on the Love Boat Shows.

Wow, in the last 4 cruises, I never had an issue with bar service. Both at the bar or by roamers. Now, I agree that if you don't want to get up, you are going to have to wait. First you wait for the person to make the rounds in your area, than they go and fill the orders, and then bring them back. It does take time, and most of the time, I would just rather grab it at the bar.

I just don't expect to snap my fingers and have someone behind me like on the Love Boat Shows.

Ahhhh, I remember those good "old" days!!!:o I sure miss those love boats!!;)

There is definitely a decline in the number of servers at the pool and in the dining room with the advent of the drink packages. Ya I can walk to the bar and get a drink, but I'm on vacation and I prefer to be served where I sit. I just grab a cocktail or two at the bar outside the MDR and take them in with me. Now that I think about it, on my last cruise on Liberty in November, I don't think a drink server even approached me during dinner. Long gone are the days when the servers walked around with trays of after dinner shooters.

A temporary bar with a limited selection of beer/wine/cocktails.

Usually on the pool deck, they will have beer (in aluminum bottles/cans) on ice very limited mixed drinks basics (one liquor/one mixer no blended) and sometimes a drink that comes in a pineapple or coconut.