Cruising Etiquette...a list.

Danno

great thread - a few others

remember not all guests are from the US - we are trying to learn about the US but stay off politics as we dont even know who is who

although we are from the UK we do not know the Smiths in London or the McDonalds from Glasgow

Dont hog the Martini bar servers in conversation 30 mins before dinner when there are lots of others wanting service

Dont sit at the end of the row in the theatre so no one can get passed you

Dont spend the evening gloating how much better your shore excursion must have been because you did or did not go on a ship organised excursion. For us, most ports are a once in a lifetime experience and we cannot go back and try something different next year so please leave us with our happy memories (they always are regardless of whether it is an X or a private trip)

Do not stop dead when walking along - you might have just seen something that interests you but those behind you are going to collide with you

happy cruising everyone............so far apart from our first cruise (on NCL) when we were put at dinner with the most AWFUL 2 couples who were such snobs (and I am ashamed to say from the UK) we have never had big problems with folks on our trips - annoyances with some though never table guests - please long may that continue!!!!!

Two etiquette items:

1. TABLE SEATING

At a table for 6 or 8 we suggest on the first night that we change seats each night so we have some variety in our neighbors. Then on night two we make it a point get to the dining room early and grab a different pair of seats.

It invariably works out great because everyone gets to chat with everyone else, get a different view of the room, etc.

2. WINE

It is less an issue these days than it was 10 or more years ago, and it involves ordering a bottle of wine. Normally when you order wine, the wine steward will ask each person at the table if they will be having wine. That makes life very awkward because if I order wine for myself and my DW, I'm not necessarily interested in sharing it with 6 others. However if I'm a tablemate and someone else orders wine, I don't want to offend him/her by declining; or put that person in the very awkward position of saying "no, that wine's just for us.

What we do is, before ordering, I ask everyone if they would like to share wine during the voyage and rotate the ordering each night. That way it's a collegial wine experience and the awkwardness goes away.

Please, please, please: in the evening if you do not need your outside balcony light please turn it off. Stargazing is such a nice thing at sea and so much nicer when it's dark.

also as long as one showers regularly there should be no reason for more than a small DROP of cologne, perfume, scented powder, and/or aftershave.

OOPs, I mised page 2, Usha mentioned the smelly stuff there.

medical topics - we had a couple at our table of 8 that between them should have been dead and buried for 100 years or so -:rolleyes: each night - the ordering - and checking on each particular item on the menu - and why they could not have because of this or that illness or condition - and then the discussions about bodily functions.:mad:

that is what I do for a living - I do not want to do that on vacation. And my DH doesn't like to listen to that even at home.:eek:

Please encourage these volunteers who try to entertain you. I have sat near a rowdy group who constantly disparaged performers on stage. They even got a bar waiter to join in their stupidity.

I did let the waiter and them know that I thought their behaviour was inappropriate.

Of course, none of these people ever volunteerd to sing.

Hey I noticed you are from Frisco. We moved from their 6 years ago when my DH got transferred to Tucson. I've hearnd things have grown quite a bit in the last six years. When we first moved out there 13 years ago it was mostly cattle pastures.

On our last cruise we were very lucky in that our table for 6 had a couple from the UK and a couple from Australia and US. We had plenty of fun talking about our other travels and luckily we all had similar interests in Music and Entertainment, so we were able to keep the conversation light and fun.

By the way did you know there is a Bar-B-que and Soul Food place in down town Dallas called "Sho-Nuff's"?

- Don't wake up at 5am so you can run up to the pool deck, save four chaises, go back to bed and not show up at the pool until 3pm.

- Honor lines whether at the buffet, the bank, guest relations, etc.; cutting in front of people who are waiting patiently is rude, no matter how hungry or how much in a hurry you may be.

- Tongs and serving pieces provided at the buffets are there for a reason; use them in lieu of your hands (or other body parts)!

- Be respectful of the service staff - please and thank you are a common courtesy even to those who are there to serve you.

Hey I noticed you are from Frisco. We moved from their 6 years ago when my DH got transferred to Tucson. I've hearnd things have grown quite a bit in the last six years. When we first moved out there 13 years ago it was mostly cattle pastures.

On our last cruise we were very lucky in that our table for 6 had a couple from the UK and a couple from Australia and US. We had plenty of fun talking about our other travels and luckily we all had similar interests in Music and Entertainment, so we were able to keep the conversation light and fun.

By the way did you know there is a Bar-B-que and Soul Food place in down town Dallas called "Sho-Nuff's"?

Hi Suzanne,

You wouldn't recognize Frisco if you've been gone 6 years. We lived in Plano for 25 years and Frisco was just a place to land our hot air balloon! We moved here a couple years ago and boy has it changed. 121 is under construction and there's a restaurant on every corner. Major League Soccer championships are being played here this weekend and we have our own IKEA store.

Your tablemates from your last cruise sound wonderful. We've had great adventures in England and Australia, met some really lovely

people. Can't wait to see what we've got on the next one!

Didn't know about the BBQ place, have to check it out.

76 days and counting.

Sho' Nuff's is kind of shady place, I went there with a big group from the InfoMart one time for lunch, but I'm not sure I'd venture into that part of town at night. :)

But I do remember the Bar-B-Que was really good. This was about 14 years ago, so who know if the place is still there, I just remember the name. It is kind of an out door place with picnic tables and at night they had jazz and blues bands some times. But it was in the old run down part of down town, kind of between the Oak Law area and the Info Mart.

What's the world coming to when we have threads teaching us how to act? I'd like to think my mom did a good job teaching me as small boy.

I'm sure your Mom did...way too many mom's didn't...

What's the world coming to when we have threads teaching us how to act? I'd like to think my mom did a good job teaching me as small boy.

Why do so many people pin this one on the moms? What about the Dads?

I think that as people sit at home and enjoy their home theatres and game stations, they have lost th sense of how to act when they go out. It is becoming nearly impossible to go to a movie or concert without people talking all the way through as though it was a tv show, exchanging their views ont he performances or reminiscing about the songs while they're being presented.

If only I ruled the world,.... :)

Why do so many people pin this one on the moms? What about the Dads?

It's kinda like the athletes on TV. Dad taught them to run, throw, hit, catch, kick, etc., etc., etc. And the moment the camera is on them they say "Hi mom". :)

Archived