alaska cruise---DIY or cruise line tours?

Mywayorcruise

I am looking forward to this thread. My wife and I are considering Alaska in June of 2018. It will be our second visit. The first time we did a simple 7 night out of Vancouver on NCL and really want to return. It was a great trip. We too are looking at a cruise/land tour and possibly considering the land portion on our own before a southbound trip. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

You can do it either way quite easily- people do both, all the time. And there is no need to just one or the other. You can mix it up. There are many threads on this board about doing things in each port. All the ports are covered extensively. Just takes a little reading and research.

Since we booked last week I've been doing my research on what we want to do in each port. I went back and forth between what the cruiseline offers, and what people have enjoyed and posted about on here. I think in the end we are mostly going to do independent tours. They are slightly cheaper and it seems that people enjoy them more. But for the most part, they are actually the same as what the cruiseline offers, we're just booking directly.

While we usually book tours through the cruiseline in other regions, we're very comfy booking independent tours in Alaska. All services we've used to date came well recommended (many identified through Cruisecritic postings) and the guides were very aware of time requirements faced by cruisers. Do your homework, see what looks interesting to you and how they are reviewed, but bottom line is always do what makes you comfortable. Alaska is splendid - have a wonderful time!

Either way works. There are a lot of recommendations on these boards. You will generally find private tours less expensive than cruiseline tours. There are also DIY opportunities. We did not book a tour in Juneau (went to Mendenhall Glacier) nor in Ketchikan (went to Creek Street and Totem Bight).

Edited by mskaufman

On my 2016 trip, the only "excursion" we did through the cruise line was cheap bus transportation from the port to Victoria. Alaska is an easy DIY. What's not so easy is deciding what you want to do from all of the available options, lol...

Are you comfortable with booking DIY? Then go for it! (Some people like the ease of having someone do it for them.)

On our first AK cruise we booked independently with a car service in Skagway & took the blue bus to Mendenhall in Juneau.

The small boat cruise to Tracy Arm was booked through the cruise line. (The only option on that cruise - we boarded the small boat like you would a tender at the mouth of the Fjord.)

On our Next AK cruise, I booked independently in Ketchikan, Kodiak, & Hubbard. (Our friend will show us around in Anchorage - so that is sort of "on our own.")

In Juneau, Icy Strait Point, Sitka, & Victoria - we have ideas on what to do, but we are fairly close to playing it by ear in those stops.

I have been to Alaska 6 times. Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway are the ports I have been too. I have always used the local vendors for my tours and been very happy with my experience. This is how they make their income and their reputation is at stake. I save money, spend time with a lot less other passengers and I get a more personal time on a great tour. I am a very happy cruiser using the locals.

I have been to Alaska 6 times. Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway are the ports I have been too. I have always used the local vendors for my tours and been very happy with my experience. This is how they make their income and their reputation is at stake. I save money, spend time with a lot less other passengers and I get a more personal time on a great tour. I am a very happy cruiser using the locals.

Hi we are going to those three ports as well as Icy strait in August. Any recommendations on well..just about anything! Thanks

Hi we are going to those three ports as well as Icy strait in August. Any recommendations on well..just about anything! Thanks

Hi there. Is this your first cruise? If it is you are in for a wonderful 1st time experience. My first and most important tip is take some sea-sick meds before you step foot on the ship. Why get sick in the first place is my motto. I take it the day before and couple days after and then I'm ok. 2nd-Do not over pack. Pack you bags, take half out. About a week later take out more and then rethink again. I promise you, you will not need all those clothes you think you will need. Mix and match and no one remembers what you wear any way. You can buy really cheap tee shirts and things in the ports if you need something. And please wear well broken in shoes. I have seen so many brand new tennis shoes and people complaining of blisters on their feet. I only took a pair of tennis shoes, 1 pair black flats and flip-flops. That's it.

I will not go too Juneau and not see the whales. I have seen many Orca and Humpback each time. I always use Capt. Larry with Orca Whale Co. He is excellent and you will see whales, but he is very popular and books early so get him as fast as you can. Sadly Mendenhall Glacier is melting away so try to see it if you can. In Ketchikan I had flown with Island Wings over the Fjords and it was awesome. We landed on a lake and scared away bears who were eating salmon. A truly great tour. The train ride in Skagway is great for photo shots and a good experience. I have used Chilkoot tours for that. But they also offer other great things too do in Skagway. The gold panning is pretty phony but you can say you have done it.

A little true story to know about in Juneau is about a dog named Patsy Ann. I forget what yrs this takes place. She was a orphan dog that roamed the town and every one just fed her and looked after her. She always stood at the dock and would bark and bark for a long time about an hour before a ship would come into view of the town. The towns people had plenty of time to prepare for the ship to get there. Amazingly Patsy Ann was deaf and no one could figure out how she knew that the ship was coming. There is a bronze figure of her with a dedication plaque on the boardwalk in Juneau. It is behind the Red Dog Saloon by the statues. That is a great place to get a good Alaskan beer and something to eat by the way.

Have a great cruise and a wonderful time.

Hi there. Is this your first cruise? If it is you are in for a wonderful 1st time experience. My first and most important tip is take some sea-sick meds before you step foot on the ship. Why get sick in the first place is my motto. I take it the day before and couple days after and then I'm ok. 2nd-Do not over pack. Pack you bags, take half out. About a week later take out more and then rethink again. I promise you, you will not need all those clothes you think you will need. Mix and match and no one remembers what you wear any way. You can buy really cheap tee shirts and things in the ports if you need something. And please wear well broken in shoes. I have seen so many brand new tennis shoes and people complaining of blisters on their feet. I only took a pair of tennis shoes, 1 pair black flats and flip-flops. That's it.

I will not go too Juneau and not see the whales. I have seen many Orca and Humpback each time. I always use Capt. Larry with Orca Whale Co. He is excellent and you will see whales, but he is very popular and books early so get him as fast as you can. Sadly Mendenhall Glacier is melting away so try to see it if you can. In Ketchikan I had flown with Island Wings over the Fjords and it was awesome. We landed on a lake and scared away bears who were eating salmon. A truly great tour. The train ride in Skagway is great for photo shots and a good experience. I have used Chilkoot tours for that. But they also offer other great things too do in Skagway. The gold panning is pretty phony but you can say you have done it.

A little true story to know about in Juneau is about a dog named Patsy Ann. I forget what yrs this takes place. She was a orphan dog that roamed the town and every one just fed her and looked after her. She always stood at the dock and would bark and bark for a long time about an hour before a ship would come into view of the town. The towns people had plenty of time to prepare for the ship to get there. Amazingly Patsy Ann was deaf and no one could figure out how she knew that the ship was coming. There is a bronze figure of her with a dedication plaque on the boardwalk in Juneau. It is behind the Red Dog Saloon by the statues. That is a great place to get a good Alaskan beer and something to eat by the way.

Have a great cruise and a wonderful time.

Hey ..thanks so much..not my first rodeo...been to several carribbean ports and new england and you are so right about overpacking..lol I am guilty!! Thanks for your assistance...we really want tolove see whales..will look at your recommendation...don't want to highjack...but if you think of anything else I's sure op will appreciate it also....loved the dog story!!!

First time cruising to Alaska do you recommend tours/activities with the cruise line or on your own?
We've done it both ways in the Caribbean, and found that the cost savings of going out on our own was never worth the concern that we'd be late and have to pay our own way to the next port. It basically boils down to the same question as whether you buy travel insurance, and for the same reasons.

Thoughts.... looking at what's available... it can be very overwhelming with so little port time.

• consider combo tours for more than one activity. This allows you to do more without wasting time retracing back to the port.
  • look for "Best of ...... " at each port to get ideas on what to do whether with the cruise line or private.

Hey ..thanks so much..not my first rodeo...been to several carribbean ports and new england and you are so right about overpacking..lol I am guilty!! Thanks for your assistance...we really want tolove see whales..will look at your recommendation...don't want to highjack...but if you think of anything else I's sure op will appreciate it also....loved the dog story!!!

I didn't mean to sound like a '' know it all ''. I didn't know you have been on other cruises. I truly love Capt.Larry but he is very popular. He will show you whales. And there are a lot less passengers on his boats and cheaper than the ships. If you cant go with him try Harve and Marve. They are good also. Book now!

In Ketchikan I was disappointed with the Saxmon Village. It just didn't live up what it was said to be and all they did was push the gift shop. Creek Street is not too be missed. Make sure to go up and see how small the '' cribs '' are the girls used to use in the '' good ole days ''. If you want to stretch you legs in Ketchikan the tour through the Rain Forest was really good according to my brother and his wife. The Blue Busses will take you back and forth too Mendenhall Glacier every 1/12 hr. Give yourself plenty of time to get back too the ship. A lot of passengers raved about the Lobster tour but I never took it. But I love Lobster. Don't be afraid to get as many as you want on the night they have it at dinner. I had 3 myself that night. Yummm!!! Unless they have a cut-off limit now.

In Juneau try to get into the Red Dog Saloon early and get a Alaskan Beer. They get very busy. It is a saloon not too be missed. If you can only peak in the door have your camera ready for a photo or two. The same with the Saloon in Skagway. The girls will take pictures with you. If your wife will let them. Also in Juneau if you take the tram make sure it is a clear day. Other wise you are wasting your money. Don't pay for it before the day you get there.

The last bit of advice is take extra storage for photo's, get in the pool, have plenty of one's for tips, investigate the great ports and when you get home plan another cruise too Alaska. I bet it wont be your last. If you went too Glacier Bay make you next cruise too Tracy Arm or the other one. If I can help you with anything else just let me know.

Happy sailing.

Dusty.

Edited by dustyroad

I will not go too Juneau and not see the whales. I have seen many Orca and Humpback each time. I always use Capt. Larry with Orca Whale Co. He is excellent and you will see whales, but he is very popular and books early so get him as fast as you can.

Orca Enterprises was out of business. Capt. Larry and the vessel were at at Dolphin Jet Boat Tours last season. Things may have changed though.

I received this email from them March 2016:

"Orca Enterprises has Joined with Dolphin Jet Boat Tours. Capt. Larry will still be operating the Orca Odysea. The Orca Enterprises website will soon be set up with an online booking system that will make setting reservations much easier. In the mean time please Contact Dolphin at

mail@dolphintours.com"

We, too, always go on whale watch tours out of Juneau.

Orca Enterprises was out of business. Capt. Larry and the vessel were at at Dolphin Jet Boat Tours last season. Things may have changed though.

I received this email from them March 2016:

"Orca Enterprises has Joined with Dolphin Jet Boat Tours. Capt. Larry will still be operating the Orca Odysea. The Orca Enterprises website will soon be set up with an online booking system that will make setting reservations much easier. In the mean time please Contact Dolphin at

mail@dolphintours.com"

We, too, always go on whale watch tours out of Juneau.

Hey guys...whale watching...better in Icy strait or Juneau?? ...and Glaciers you are right..couldn't reserve yet on Orca..many thanks..Keep those tips coming..everything booked except excursions....

We are also looking to go to AK in June 2018. Most of the advice above is great, but it just covers excursions while on the cruise - what about the pre or post land tours? Are these also easier to do DIY?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be happy to help you if you let us know what port city you are leaving from.

I didn't mean to sound like a '' know it all ''. I didn't know you have been on other cruises. I truly love Capt.Larry but he is very popular. He will show you whales. And there are a lot less passengers on his boats and cheaper than the ships. If you cant go with him try Harve and Marve. They are good also. Book now!

In Ketchikan I was disappointed with the Saxmon Village. It just didn't live up what it was said to be and all they did was push the gift shop. Creek Street is not too be missed. Make sure to go up and see how small the '' cribs '' are the girls used to use in the '' good ole days ''. If you want to stretch you legs in Ketchikan the tour through the Rain Forest was really good according to my brother and his wife. The Blue Busses will take you back and forth too Mendenhall Glacier every 1/12 hr. Give yourself plenty of time to get back too the ship. A lot of passengers raved about the Lobster tour but I never took it. But I love Lobster. Don't be afraid to get as many as you want on the night they have it at dinner. I had 3 myself that night. Yummm!!! Unless they have a cut-off limit now.

In Juneau try to get into the Red Dog Saloon early and get a Alaskan Beer. They get very busy. It is a saloon not too be missed. If you can only peak in the door have your camera ready for a photo or two. The same with the Saloon in Skagway. The girls will take pictures with you. If your wife will let them. Also in Juneau if you take the tram make sure it is a clear day. Other wise you are wasting your money. Don't pay for it before the day you get there.

The last bit of advice is take extra storage for photo's, get in the pool, have plenty of one's for tips, investigate the great ports and when you get home plan another cruise too Alaska. I bet it wont be your last. If you went too Glacier Bay make you next cruise too Tracy Arm or the other one. If I can help you with anything else just let me know.

Happy sailing.

Dusty.

I don't think you were a know it all...just happy to get any info I can get on excursion,shopping tips and great food..not to miss....we are going with a couple that has never cruised so I am doing my homework..

I just read the message about Capt. Larry merging with another whale co. I'm glad he is still going to be doing tours in Juneau. He is really good. If he is not the pilot of the boat you will still get a wonderful tour. Good luck everyone getting reservations.

Edited by dustyroad

Hey guys...whale watching...better in Icy strait or Juneau??

Of multiple trips out of both places I’ve had better luck seeing something besides backs and flukes in Juneau. Others may say the opposite. You might look at what other activities you are interested in. For us, Juneau is a little more diverse and there’s more to do. My priority is whale watching so would do a tour in both places.

In Juneau the hatchery started dumping fish out by the Shrine of St. Therese and there have been humpback sightings there as well as out towards Eagle Beach. We saw a humpback at the Shrine last year as well as a couple of second year cubs along the road. Beautiful area too and works well with a rental that allows other stops like Mendenhall Glacier.

I don't think you were a know it all...just happy to get any info I can get on excursion,shopping tips and great food..not to miss....we are going with a couple that has never cruised so I am doing my homework..

Thank you for saying that. I love Alaska. My finances have kept me from cruising for some yrs now. But if I could again it would be back to my beloved Alaska.

Like I said, I stay away from the jewelry shops, I enjoy the port city and I use the locals for tours as much as possible. You can get off the ship and go on tours. There will be tour co's close to where you dock that will be set up to take you on the same things as the ship but cheaper.

Skagway is very small and easy to walk around. I really enjoyed my 9hr Chilkoot tour. We rode up on the train, then got in the small van, had lunch and went too Emerald Lake and other places before we went back too Skagway. It was a wonderful tour. I saw a lot of bigger Grayhound size busses used by the Cruise Ships full of passengers doing the same things as us. I glad I was on my smaller tour.

If you take the train ride, SET ON THE LEFT SIDE GOING UP THE MT AND ON THE WAY DOWN SET ON THE RIGHT SIDE. . That way you will be able too see out take pictures of all the beautiful sites.

I have not ventured too far on foot in Juneau. Except too the Red Dog Saloon and the Board Walk which I mentioned above. Both are a must if you have time to spare. But Creek Street in Ketchikan and the walking path behind it is very nice. There will be sales in all of the stores. Saxmon Village did not live up too my expectations. A lot of people like the Lumber Jack Show. I have not seen it. It is at the end of the Dock. They pushed their gift shop to much for my taste. A lot of people like the Lumber Jack Show. I have not seen it. It is at the end of the Dock behind the Rain Gage.

I did not eat off the ship. I used my money for a few gifts to take home to family.

I know you are going to have a wonderful time. Take your time enjoying the beautiful Mts and scenery. If you don't do any tours in a port you can still have a great time. Have fun.

Edited by dustyroad