Pantyhose confusion

sockmonkeygirl

I'm 39 and British, I only recently stopped wearing them, when I moved to Texas. There are probably about 5 days each winter when I might wear some black opaque tights with a skirt and boots, but that's it. I did wear them for work for a long time though, it's just the way I was raised!

Maybe it's because I'm from New England but there are plenty of women of all ages who wear pantyhose and especially tights of many colors to match their outfits, all winter long but that's to keep us warm! In the summer or when cruising the Caribbean, I'm bare legged as often as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it's because I'm from New England but there are plenty of women of all ages who wear pantyhose and especially tights of many colors to match their outfits, all winter long but that's to keep us warm! In the summer or when cruising the Caribbean, I'm bare legged as often as possible

Agree. In the northern US or Canada it would be rather cold to wear a skirt/dress without some type of leg covering be it tights or panty hose in the winter months. There are indeed plenty of women who wear them in the winter including on Northern European cruises. I wear them once in a while on a formal night as some of my shoes feel better with them on but when I do I wear what is known as sandal/shadow foot.

Ok, so I am taking the panty hose out of the suitcase and am thinking of buying some spanx since we are going to the S. Caribbean.

We live in northern MN, so panty hose are part of our winter wardrobe to wear with dresses and slacks for added warmth.

My question.....do spanx really work? I am in my late 50s, am 5'2" and have fought the battle of the bulge my entire life. I have noticed more bulges in places I never had them before the older I get.

Looking at the Spanx body suit or slip. Any thoughts on either one or maybe something better is out there?

I know they're not popular, but I won't give them up. I feel like I look and feel my best when I'm wearing them. Additionally, I freeze all the time, so they keep me warmer. My 24 y/o daughter has never had a pair on in her life.

My question.....do Spanx really work? I am in my late 50s, am 5'2" and have fought the battle of the bulge my entire life. I have noticed more bulges in places I never had them before the older I get. Looking at the Spanx body suit or slip. Any thoughts on either one or maybe something better is out there?

If you mean 'do they work' as in do they smooth things out and make your clothes lie nicely? Definitely. If you mean 'do they work" as in, you're a size 8, but if you put on Spanx you're a 4? Not so much. LOL

I have some Spanx pieces that I definitely like...I think though, you need to be careful to purchase the right size. You shouldn't be uncomfortable (obviously). Some folks seem to use Spanx as a hope that they are 3 sizes smaller than they actually are (which may smooth out some areas but causes bumps/bulges in OTHER areas - ie - the sausage casing look)...whereas I wear them under close fitting dresses/skirts to smooth everything out (not change my size per se).

So I would recommend buying a bunch of different items/sizes and try them on at home under the clothing you'll be wearing them with and see what you like. I usually get mine from Nordstrom (free shipping/free returns). They also appear on HauteLook occasionally with some good price reductions (more of a pain to return if you don't have a Nordstrom Rack near you).

I have tried other brands, some with better success than others...but I have to say that my Spanx items have lasted a LONG time and are good quality, IMO.

One thing that I do occasionally..."poor man Spanx"...is to cut the legs off a pair of pantyhose. I had some old pairs of Donna Karan pantyhose, I got the idea to cut off the legs so that they only came down to mid thigh on me. They did what I wanted them to do (smooth my butt and upper thighs under a slim flitting satin dress) but my legs were bare. ;p

Good luck finding something that works for you! ;)

If you mean 'do they work' as in do they smooth things out and make your clothes lie nicely? Definitely. If you mean 'do they work" as in, you're a size 8, but if you put on Spanx you're a 4? Not so much. LOL

I have some Spanx pieces that I definitely like...I think though, you need to be careful to purchase the right size. You shouldn't be uncomfortable (obviously). Some folks seem to use Spanx as a hope that they are 3 sizes smaller than they actually are (which may smooth out some areas but causes bumps/bulges in OTHER areas - ie - the sausage casing look)...whereas I wear them under close fitting dresses/skirts to smooth everything out (not change my size per se).

So I would recommend buying a bunch of different items/sizes and try them on at home under the clothing you'll be wearing them with and see what you like. I usually get mine from Nordstrom (free shipping/free returns). They also appear on HauteLook occasionally with some good price reductions (more of a pain to return if you don't have a Nordstrom Rack near you).

I have tried other brands, some with better success than others...but I have to say that my Spanx items have lasted a LONG time and are good quality, IMO.

One thing that I do occasionally..."poor man Spanx"...is to cut the legs off a pair of pantyhose. I had some old pairs of Donna Karan pantyhose, I got the idea to cut off the legs so that they only came down to mid thigh on me. They did what I wanted them to do (smooth my butt and upper thighs under a slim flitting satin dress) but my legs were bare. ;p

Good luck finding something that works for you! ;)

Thanks for the in put. No Nordstrom near me, but I am sure I can find a department store that carries them. I do not want to go down 3 sizes (although that would be wonderful) just need to smooth out the bulges so the dresses hang well.

Yes, usually on formal nights, to make my legs look a bit better with shorter cocktail dresses, to eliminate panty lines, and for shoe comfort (mostly this). I don't really give a rat's patootie what anyone else thinks about it.

I'm 63, from New England, and mostly don't cruise in the Caribbean.

Suspect the weather might be at least a partial factor. On cruises in cool climates have seen many women wearing pants or long skirts, with a glimpse of hose showing at the ankle. Knee highs would do the job.

Yes, I wear them because I like the way the control top smooths things and I feel dressier with them on. I'm more concerned with how I feel about myself than with what anyone else thinks.

I just LOVE some of your answers. I am in the group of NOT, haven't worn them since, well then, it must be a while. I am in the group that started with "stockings, luckily not with the seam. Remember the garter belts? Sometimes when it was crooked and you sat down, you got a piece of metal jabbed in your leg? Anyway, I couldn't wear them now if I wanted to. Too much of me to even try and get those suckers on my foot, never mind trying to pull them up. Yes, freedom. Yay!

My question.....do spanx really work? I am in my late 50s, am 5'2" and have fought the battle of the bulge my entire life. I have noticed more bulges in places I never had them before the older I get.

Looking at the Spanx body suit or slip. Any thoughts on either one or maybe something better is out there?

I found a brand called TC Fine Shapewear at Dillards. They have a style called "Just enough" that is literally just enough to help with smoothing lines...I have the high waisted brief...it is very high waisted...I can pull it up to my bra. Anyway, I wear normal underwear under it and no lines show. I would say that wearing this style feels more similar to wearing a bathing suit or leotard rather than the intense support of Spanx.

I also like the Jockey slip shorts. Very nice. Especially if your thighs rub.

I can't believe they aren't necessary on formal night! I'll buy some no show peds for in my shoes and maybe a nice tinted lotion. Thank you all for the opinions.

Why can't you believe they are not necessary?:confused: If I am wearing a long skirt/dress and a pair of ballet flats or a pair of sandals, why would I need them? My legs are not showing. If I am in a pair of dressy slacks, why would I need them?

And that might be your opinion, and you have every right to have that opinion, but it in my opinion, they are not necessary. I think

as women we can be all dressed up without having to put on a pair of hose.

If I'm wearing a long skirt or slacks, then no pantyhose, but if I wear a cocktail length dress or skirt, I always wear pantyhose. I don't have the prettiest of legs with spider veins, etc., and feel much better with pantyhose giving a little coverage and support. I wear sandalfoot style and yes, I always wear them with my dressy open toed sandals. :eek: Some may say they are tacky, but I'm pretty sure they'd never say it to my face.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on what I'm wearing. Not with sun dresses, or on a hot weather cruise. For formal nights, depends on what shoes. Open toed sandals or a long skirt, no. A shorter skirt, probably yes, the air conditioning means they wouldn't be too hot and bare legs can look rather unfinished, unless you are young and slim.

Always wore them to work if I was wearing a skirt or dress, unless the skirt was mid calf length and worn with smart sandals.

Pantyhose or tights are still pretty standard wear with skirts through the winter in the UK. However, like a lot of women these days, I tend to wear trousers ( pants) more often than skirts.

I found a brand called TC Fine Shapewear at Dillards. They have a style called "Just enough" that is literally just enough to help with smoothing lines...I have the high waisted brief...it is very high waisted...I can pull it up to my bra. Anyway, I wear normal underwear under it and no lines show. I would say that wearing this style feels more similar to wearing a bathing suit or leotard rather than the intense support of Spanx.

I also like the Jockey slip shorts. Very nice. Especially if your thighs rub.

I may need to try this brand out. I have assets and spanx and essentially stopped wearing them because they flattened out my booty too much.

I'm 58 and very fair skinned (not quite Nicole Kidman fair, but pretty fair) and I don't wear them on a Caribbean cruise.

I don't normally wear dresses in real life (ok, wedding and funerals might be the only exception) but if I do I go for black hose. I just can't imagine the heat and humidity on a Caribbean climate and trying to put on a pair of pantyhose. I would have a meltdown in the cabin before I got them pulled up! :o:o

I'm 71 and haven't worn them in many, many years; don't plan on wearing them either. But if you prefer to, that's your choice. Try to wear sheer hose, not the sun tan ones and they really look strange with sandals or open toe shoes

I must admit that some shoes feel better with hose; but nothing else does!

My grandkids don't know what they are either, but when they were younger they liked to put my old ones on to dress up. They also don't know what a 'hanky' ie handerchief is for! And were grossed out when I explained!

Perhaps it is a European thing !! I wouldn't dream of wearing a cocktail dress without sheer tights (pantyhose)..The brand I wear are 5 denier with an "invisible" toe, they give legs a lovely sheen to complete a groomed look.:)