Neptune Lounge snacks

sail7seas

Do they still put out wedges of cheese at or shortly after lunch? I enoyed when they would put selection of cheese wedges on rhe sideboard along with crackers etc and hope I can look forward to having some on my newly booked c ruise. If they don't have cheese in Neptune Lounge do they have it in Lido at lucsh? I was never happy with the cheese room servi e delivered and hope to chose my own. :)

Edited by sail7seas

It is varying by ship.

If you read POA1's review of his recent review, they had nice cheese plates in the Lido -- Eurodam. All we had on the Westerdam were 3 tiny pieces of cheeses on a plate. No hunks of cheese any more.

In the Neptune Lounge some days we had sliced cheese -- again not many choices. A couple of times we had tiny bites of Swiss and American.

Hopefully others from other ships will chime in.

It is varying by ship.

If you read POA1's review of his recent review, they had nice cheese plates in the Lido -- Eurodam. All we had on the Westerdam were 3 tiny pieces of cheeses on a plate. No hunks of cheese any more.

In the Neptune Lounge some days we had sliced cheese -- again not many choices. A couple of times we had tiny bites of Swiss and American.

Hopefully others from other ships will chime in.

The NL cheeses were cut into chunks, and you made up your plate from them. If you saw my Lido photos, it's basically that, before plating. There wasn't the big block with people taking a hack at it. For the most part, the cheeses were the same as the ones on the Lido composed plates. Although in fairness, we didn't dash up two decks to check all the time.

I don't know if your tastes are the same as ours, but we really liked both the cheese selections and the charcuterie on the Eurodam. If you are really partial to a specific cheese, ask to have it put aside for you.

EDITED: I'm wondering if not having the big blocks is somewhat of a sanitation thing. I remember people reaching into the Neptune Lounge snack pod and grabbing a hunk of cheese with their fingers to steady it while they sliced. (I'm sure the same thing happened in the Lido.)

Edited by POA1

Which ship are you sailing on? It does seem to vary by ship IMO.

Cheese plates in Lido only since the new Lido set up.

Had offerings of different cheeses (already sliced or cut up) at both breakfast and lunch in the NS on the Westerdam. Did have the "hunks" of cheese which you could slice in the NS on the Prinsendam last time we were on, but, that was a while ago.

Sailing on Rotterdam in a couple of months and will report on my thread.

EDITED: I'm wondering if not having the big blocks is somewhat of a sanitation thing.

That was my first reaction to reading about blocks of cheese that passengers would portion out themselves. On at least one cruise I recall, they wouldn't even let us self-serve fountain soda at the buffet

The NL cheeses were cut into chunks, and you made up your plate from them. If you saw my Lido photos, it's basically that, before plating. There wasn't the big block with people taking a hack at it. For the most part, the cheeses were the same as the ones on the Lido composed plates. Although in fairness, we didn't dash up two decks to check all the time.

I don't know if your tastes are the same as ours, but we really liked both the cheese selections and the charcuterie on the Eurodam. If you are really partial to a specific cheese, ask to have it put aside for you.

EDITED: I'm wondering if not having the big blocks is somewhat of a sanitation thing. I remember people reaching into the Neptune Lounge snack pod and grabbing a hunk of cheese with their fingers to steady it while they sliced. (I'm sure the same thing happened in the Lido.)

Yes -- I also agree that having the big chunks of cheese that you cut yourself is a sanitation issue.

We had our concierges get us Edam and Swiss chunks of cheese for us whenever we wanted them. We just told whomever was on duty early in the morning what we would like in the afternoon.

Yes -- I also agree that having the big chunks of cheese that you cut yourself is a sanitation issue.

We had our concierges get us Edam and Swiss chunks of cheese for us whenever we wanted them. We just told whomever was on duty early in the morning what we would like in the afternoon.

You're exactly right. If you ask nicely, you can almost always get what you want. I didn't specifically count the cheese selections on our Eurodam cruise last month, but it was probably 15-16 different types. IMO this is a huge improvement over years ago. I still miss the cheese menu in the MDR circa 2014. That was great.

Thanks, POA and KK.

t

I trhink you are likwely correct aboutg sanitggagtion bugtg thre arre 'cheees

butrtons. I have someacryllis knobs with '(legs' that I always put on ccheeese trays if people wsant to cut from a wsedge of chese, I might put out. No touching, the food and I leave small cockttail napkins they can use to hold the 'button'' and keep everygthing 'clean. II'm sure3 I will manage fine with the cheewses plates from Lido or reque3st what I miggt feel like in Neptrune.

Thanks, POA and KK.

I trhink you are lik\ely correct about sanitggation ut thre are 'cheeese

burtons. I have someacryllis knobs with '(legs' that I always put on ccheeese trays if people wsant to cut from a wsedge of cheese, I might put out. No touching the food and I leave small cockttail napkins they can use to hold the 'button'' and keep everything 'clean. I'm sure I will manage fine with the cheese plates from Lido or request what I might feel like in NeptuneI' With very few ewxceptrions, I've always been extremely happy with the help I have gotten from concierge and/or Pinnalce staff person working in Neptune.

Edited by sail7seas

On Westie; two weeks ago, they had little plates of chips and either salsa or guacamole as dip in the NL, along with the various cookies, various chocolates, etc. on the sidebar. No cheese plates; they had cheese sandwiches under "the dome"

On a recent Koningsdam cruise they had a nice but limited selection of Neptune Lounge afternoon snacks including sandwiches, desserts and cheese. Frequently, I'd have a light lunch in the lounge to avoid overeating on the cruise. The quality of the food was excellent.

Neptune Lounge on Maasdam under the dome,there were usually some little dishes with a slice of 3 types of cheese, some fruit, such as a slice of fig, strawberry or a grape. This was end of October to the beginning of December.

A selection of cheese available in the Lido at lunchtime......self serve.