Locking luggage

kswill

I always lock my luggage. We don't fly to ports. We usually drive so I don't have to check my bags before arriving at the port. The only time I check them is at the port before boarding and they are locked when I give them to the porters.

We ALWAYS lock our luggage. The locks are TSA ones. So the TSA people can open and search our bags if they needed to, between connecting flights.

I have read in other thread about a lady having stuff stolen from unlocked bags by other pax while the bags were out in hallway on last night of cruise.

Bottom line, we ALWAYS lock our luggage.

Locks on luggage is a false sense of security, they only stop honest people from going through your luggage, people who rob luggage just use a pen to open them. The only safe way is hard top luggage where the zipper is concealed. In high school I used to throw luggage at night at a local airport, and saw this happen all the time.

Edited by DAVECHIPP1974

ALWAYS lock your bags when they are not in your possession! The locks do NOT need to be TSA...any good lock will do!

Oddly, we never lock our luggage. As others have mentioned, we have our valuable possessions in our carry-ons, with us at all times. We've never had our luggage opened by any one except the TSA in years and years of travel.

I disagree about the TSA locks, though. If you are flying, and want your luggage to remain locked even if the TSA decides to inspect it, you must use a TSA lock. Otherwise they will just cut the lock off. If you're not flying, then any lock will do.

Edited by VideoTech

Since we lost the keys during one transport, we now use the electric ties.

Only once has the TSA cut off a tie and inspected one piece of luggage.

They then used another electrical tie after leaving us a note IN the luggage that was opened and inspected.

For what I don't know.

All I know is that it's a lot easier to carry a couple of nail clippers, than keep track of metal locks and keys.

We keep all valuables with us.

Do what is convenient for you.

I have read that it is wise to lock your luggage when the crew comes to pick it up the last night of the cruise. What about when checking luggage for embarkation?? Locked or unlocked?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why wouldn't you lock your bag?