Don't Let This Happen To You.

FlaGrl4Evr

What is the cut off time for travelers insurance? As in what is the latest you can purchase it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can get 3rd party insurance up until the time you are ready to step out the front door to leave for your cruise.

Ive never heard of insurance that only lets you cancel until 3 days before the cruise leaves

Bill

This happened to me! Well, we had insurance, but I got sick just before. Get your friend to the dr for a shot and antibiotics to speed up the recovery if possible

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

This happened to me! Well, we had insurance, but I got sick just before. Get your friend to the dr for a shot and antibiotics to speed up the recovery if possible

This is horrible advice. Antibiotics are only effective in fighting bacteria. Head colds are the result of a viral infection. Antibiotics will do nothing. It is thinking like this that is causing the antibiotic resistant bacteria surge.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

It's a cold. Despite how awful you feel and sound, you are only contagious for about 2 days after the onset of symptoms. Antibiotics will NOT hasten healing, they will simply increase the incidence of antibiotic resistant bacteria. And seriously? Missing your vacation for a cold? Wash your hands frequently and rest. You, and the rest of the passengers will be fine. I'm a nurse, I deal with this every day.

Sorry, but antibiotics do not work on cold, because colds are a virus. And, what kind of shot do you suggest be given to someone with a cold?

Sinus Cocktail shot. However it's apparently a local thing and your local doctor office may not know what it is. It works wonders on cold symptoms though. It's a couple of steroids and antihistamines all jammed together. It does wonders for a head cold.

And those on the ship would rather have you recover at home.

This is the main reason I don't like muster drills, being next to a person like you...

LOL, it's a cold. You can catch a cold going to the super market. You've probably stood next to people with far more than a common cold. There's no reason for them to stay home.

I doubt you'd get a payout for a head cold unless you got 'cancel for any reason' insurance.

That happened to us last summer, husband was in urgent care with a bad cold two days before leaving for Mexico, son started throwing up in the airport, me and daughter got sick on second day of the trip. None of it was serious enough to trigger our insurance paying out. It just made for a crappy vacation sadly!

But yes we still get insurance.

:eek: Wonder how many other cruisers had a crappy vacation,because they picked something up from a familiy, who knew they were sick when they boarded. Not to mention teaching children to lie when asked a question! Are you sick?

Edited by Reader0108598

The forms ask about stomach distress and fever. Not head cold. If the person is fever free, not sneezing or coughing a lot, and is practicing good hand washing habits they are no great threat to others. Often what appears to be a head cold is really seasonal allergies, which is not contagious. (A cold is contagious twenty four hours BEFORE the person even develops symptoms and becomes less so as time goes by -so your real danger is from someone who doesn't even yet know that they are sick). No need to stay home just because of a cold.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

:eek: Wonder how many other cruisers had a crappy vacation,because they picked something up from a familiy, who knew they were sick when they boarded. Not to mention teaching children to lie when asked a question! Are you sick?

Who said anything about lying? Fill out the health questionnaire honestly. You'll be evaluated by the medical staff and will be allowed to board. They don't deny people boarding because of a cold. Worst case scenario is they'd be confined to their cabin until cleared. (The form makes it clear that boarding will only be denied for illnesses of international concern.)

Who said anything about lying? Fill out the health questionnaire honestly. You'll be evaluated by the medical staff and will be allowed to board. They don't deny people boarding because of a cold. Worst case scenario is they'd be confined to their cabin until cleared. (The form makes it clear that boarding will only be denied for illnesses of international concern.)

The person I responded to said her child vomited in the airport The family was sick before they left home, an obviously passed it on to one another...contagious! Sorry but that is irresponsible. The form asks if you have been sick. The husband was sick before leaving home, the son vomited in the airport.

I agree, fill out the health form honestly...I doubt they said the son vomited at the airport.

But hey, we will just blame the cruise line for making us all sick.:)

Edited by Reader0108598

It's a cold. Despite how awful you feel and sound, you are only contagious for about 2 days after the onset of symptoms. Antibiotics will NOT hasten healing, they will simply increase the incidence of antibiotic resistant bacteria. And seriously? Missing your vacation for a cold? Wash your hands frequently and rest. You, and the rest of the passengers will be fine. I'm a nurse, I deal with this every day.

Hmmm ...With all due respect to you." Missing Your vacation for a cold" ? Really, advocating you get on a cruise ship and infect your fellow passengers.

Some people may not be able to fight that cold off. I know that is the chance you take in public places but for a medical professional to advocate ..... Oh well, if you say the rest of the passengers will be fine ,am sure that is the case :)

Don't worry about those people with respiratory issues, because it is YOUR vacation!

Edited by Reader0108598

People get colds 365 days year, from all sorts of reasons, I don't know of any employer who gives sick leave to staff because of a cold (unless in medical profession?) If I am expected to work with a cold I'm sure as heck going on holiday with the cold.

The cruise health forms are looking for vomiting bugs and other serious conditions not colds. You can still answer honestly and be allowed to sail.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

The person I responded to said her child vomited in the airport The family was sick before they left home, an obviously passed it on to one another...contagious! Sorry but that is irresponsible. The form asks if you have been sick. The husband was sick before leaving home, the son vomited in the airport.

I agree, fill out the health form honestly...I doubt they said the son vomited at the airport.

But hey, we will just blame the cruise line for making us all sick.:)

Interacting with our fellow human beings makes us sick and life does not stop for a common illness. People still go to work. They still go to the market. They still go on vacation. I suppose you stay home at the first sign of a sniffle but very few people do.

Interacting with our fellow human beings makes us sick and life does not stop for a common illness. People still go to work. They still go to the market. They still go on vacation. I suppose you stay home at the first sign of a sniffle but very few people do.

Yep, that is exactly what I do at the sign of a sniffle:rolleyes:

After 22 years at my job!

What I try not to do, is infect other people ,when I know I am sick .

Edited by Reader0108598

Yep, that is exactly what I do at the sign of a sniffle:rolleyes:

After 22 years at my job!

What I try not to do, is infect other people ,when I know I am sick .

And short of not going out in public how exactly do you go about not infecting other people?

You can get 3rd party insurance up until the time you are ready to step out the front door to leave for your cruise.

Ive never heard of insurance that only lets you cancel until 3 days before the cruise leaves

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I happened upon the cancel before 72 hours of trip last time. Come to find out, plenty of policies have this stipulation.

Google it. I was surprised....

From insure my trip:

At InsureMyTrip, we know the importance of expecting the unexpected. Lucky for you, and all of our travelers. There are two different benefits that will cover a cancelled trip: trip cancellation and Cancel for Any Reason

Trip Cancellation

You will find basic trip cancellation coverage in every comprehensive policy. This will extend coverage for the cancellation of a trip for specific unforeseen, covered reasons. Commonly, travel insurance plans will cover reasons such as:

The unexpected illness or injury of you and/or a traveling companion that deems you unfit to travel, by order of a licensed physician

The hospitalization or death of a non-traveling family member

Weather or common carrier related issues (varies by policy)

Unforeseen natural disasters at home or the destination

A legal obligation, such as being called for jury duty or to appear as a witness in court

The details vary from provider to provider and with each plan. If you do need to cancel, you will be reimbursed 100% of the prepaid, non-refundable trip cost for which you are insured and can provide documentation. All of this coverage, is only if the trip is cancelled due to a specific, unforeseen covered reason.

Cancel for any Reason

Cancel for Any Reason (CFAR) is an optional travel insurance benefit available on some of the plans available with InsureMyTrip. Usually, this benefit is an additional charge on the plan, but it comes with extended coverage that you may find worthwhile.

Unlike basic trip cancellation coverage, the CFAR benefit has a few eligibility criteria:

Depending on the policy, only available within 10-30 days of initial trip payment

You MUST insure 100% of your pre-paid, non-refundable trip cost

Cancellation with the travel supplier must occur 48 or 72 hours before departure date, depending on the plan

Benefits may only cover between 50%-75% depending on the policy.

With CFAR, it doesn't matter why you have to cancel your trip – you just can. Often times, travelers will purchase CFAR coverage when traveling to a part of the world with civil or political unrest. This allows the traveler to cancel if uncomfortable with leaving for the trip - second thoughts, fear of safety or a bad omen appeared. Regardless the reason if you are outside 48 hours before your trip, you can cancel.

Edited by spleenstomper

And short of not going out in public how exactly do you go about not infecting other people?

I don't, when I am actively sick.

The person I responded to said, her husband had a BAD cold, her son was vomiting in the airport.

That I consider actively sick.

Edited by Reader0108598

Hmmm ...With all due respect to you." Missing Your vacation for a cold" ? Really, advocating you get on a cruise ship and infect your fellow passengers.

Some people may not be able to fight that cold off. I know that is the chance you take in public places but for a medical professional to advocate ..... Oh well, if you say the rest of the passengers will be fine ,am sure that is the case :)

Don't worry about those people with respiratory issues, because it is YOUR vacation!

I am sure that on any given cruise hundreds have head colds.

If anyone is so sensitive to head colds that person should be the one staying home as there is no way to avoid exposure to a head cold on a ship with thousands of passenger + crew.

OP, I can't imagine staying home for a head cold - and especially not for someone else's head cold. GO!

I am sure that on any given cruise hundreds have head colds.

If anyone is so sensitive to head colds that person should be the one staying home as there is no way to avoid exposure to a head cold on a ship with thousands of passenger + crew.

OP, I can't imagine staying home for a head cold - and especially not for someone else's head cold. GO!

This why we are all entitled to our opinions, and I respect yours:)

Thank you to everyone for the responses.

My friend is stocked-up with cold meds......drank lots of Gatorade and rested all day yesterday....Feels better today albeit still a bit stuffy.

We think that Thursday will be doable.

This will be my friends very first cruise so we are both hopeful !

I appreciate all of the suggestions.

To the poster that recommend Zinc...I've never heard of using it for a cold but heading out to buy some today.

God Bless

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Forums mobile app