Baths at Virgin Gorda

hcasper

I would not recommend the baths for anyone with difficulty walking. There are moments of tight spaces, ladder style steps, and most of it is walking through ankle deep (sometimes knee deep) water.

I recommend turning to youtube to preview the path. Many people have posted full walk throughs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would not recommend the baths for anyone with difficulty walking. There are moments of tight spaces, ladder style steps, and most of it is walking through ankle deep (sometimes knee deep) water.

I recommend turning to youtube to preview the path. Many people have posted full walk throughs.

This description applies if you take the trek from beach to Devil's beach. If you simply take the walking path down from the parking lot it is a fairly gradual slope down to the beach and plenty of seniors did that walk with us. The water and beach are lovely there.

That said it is not a good choice for the group you describe: difficulty walking and really young kids

Perhaps consider a beach and tour excursion for your group. Paradise Views & Beach has high ratings on ncl.com

I wouldn't say this is about being a strong swimmer for this excursion. It's about are you able to crawl in tight spots and over slippery rocks. That's not for young children. You'll be hating yourself at the bottom of the hill where the baths are. Don't do this excursion.

I wouldn't say this is about being a strong swimmer for this excursion. It's about are you able to crawl in tight spots and over slippery rocks. That's not for young children. You'll be hating yourself at the bottom of the hill where the baths are. Don't do this excursion.

It depends on how you get to the baths. I did a water approach & swam to the baths from a boat. Believe me you have to be a strong swimmer. From the land, maybe climbing into the baths is more about balance & climbing but it's still a bad choice for the OP & family.

OP didn't say they were taking an excursion that involves swimming from a boat. If she takes the typical excursion, you walk down to the beach and the rocks and then go through the rocks if you choose. That does not involve any swimming.

The jeep ride from the ferry to the baths takes lots of stamina

Trust me on this ...the baths is not an excursion for very young or very old or anyone with any sort of walking issues

I believe ncl raised the strenuous level from a 2 to a 3 btw because they had many complaints from returning pax that the excursion was too strenuous

Edited by luvtheships

Right next to the beach at the Baths, is another beach called Spring Bay beach. It has its own drive and a taxi can let you off at the path to the beach. It is nothing like the winding, narrow path to the Baths.

The beach is lovely and you can see the Baths to the left.

Same beautiful boulders and crystal clear water.

You might put the beach in a search engine as I know there are pics of Spring Bay beach on the Internet. We were just there last month.

You can hire a taxi at the port or reserve a ride in advance. They will come and pick you up to return to the ship.

Enjoy!

Is a trip to the bath in Tortola ok for a family with an elderly who can't walk to much and two young kids ages 3 and 5? How much walking is involved and is stroller ok to bring? Thanks for any feedback

In short NO, it is a long walk down a hill with steps cut into the dirt, and then you work your way through a series of caves over boulders. A stroller will not fit, and if it it did fit you would not want to put it in the 2 feet or so of water that you wade through. You need to be in relatively good shape to walk up and down the hill and someone who can't walk well is not going to make it, though they could stay at the restaurant at the top while the rest of the party goes down the hill to the Baths. We did that the last time we were there because we had been to the Baths 4 or 5 times and did not want to go down just to walk through.

Right next to the beach at the Baths, is another beach called Spring Bay beach. It has its own drive and a taxi can let you off at the path to the beach. It is nothing like the winding, narrow path to the Baths.

The beach is lovely and you can see the Baths to the left.

Same beautiful boulders and crystal clear water.

You might put the beach in a search engine as I know there are pics of Spring Bay beach on the Internet. We were just there last month.

You can hire a taxi at the port or reserve a ride in advance. They will come and pick you up to return to the ship.

Enjoy!

While there is a separate path that doesn't have any steps, don't kid anyone that it is an easy walk up from the bottom. The hill is steep and you do up a great distance in a very short amount of time. You could get a stroller up and down this way, but it is not easy.

While there is a separate path that doesn't have any steps, don't kid anyone that it is an easy walk up from the bottom. The hill is steep and you do up a great distance in a very short amount of time. You could get a stroller up and down this way, but it is not easy.

I did not have any problem walking to Spring Bay beach but best to look for Internet pics so the OP can judge for themselves.

Definitely not an excursion for anyone with physical limitations. On our tour, a gentleman broke his ankle trying to jump off one of the ladders. It's a Level 4 tour, but worth it if you can physically handle the climbing and maneuvering around the rock formations.

Some people I talked to went to Jost Van Dyke when at Tortola and said it was great. That could be something to take an elderly person and a couple of children.

The path down is very uneven in spots. We came across an older person and he really took his time going down. One of our friends who was with walked the whole way down with him just to be sure. He eventually made it but had to take it really slow and then had to turn around and take the same uneven path up. Even though he made it down and back we all questioned why he would even try it.

You can take a cab to cane garden bay beach rent loungers and relax

FYI...most taxis in Tortola are the open air jitney type which would be uncomfortable IMHO for your group

My dh hated it because of his asthma and the gas engine fumes

However there were plenty of 8 seater late model van taxis too so when you get to the port dispatcher just stand your ground and insist on a van

They will try to herd you toward the open air jitneys of course because they can move more people at once

Same price for either btw. About $8. Varies with the number of riders.

Edited by luvtheships

To the OP

Check out a review written by Mitsugirly on this forum.

I think she did the Baths on her latest cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. She went with her adult children,her daughter (about 8 ? Years old), and her hubby.

It was quite the adventure ! She posted a lot of photos also.

I have a suggestion - my DH and I are mid 60 s . Lately,we research a resort on an island that is port stop.

We arrange for a day pass that allows use of the facilities and lunch.

I think this can be done through a web site - Resort for a Day.

We usually check reviews on a travel web site and contact the resort directly. We take a cab to the resort,so we get a bit of a island tour .

You did not mention your Mom's age ( I read that you mentioned her on another thread ) and that this is her first cruise.

I am sure that she would enjoy a relaxing day at a resort and your children would enjoy the resort's beach and pool !

Ok, first off... no. There is a kinda steep walk up and down from the beach and the caves are not doable with someone with mobility issues.

Second, strong swimming isn't needed... you don't have to be more then ankle deep in the water if you don't want to.

Third... the Baths are Virgin Gorda, along with the lunch they provide ect.... is a GREAT excursion. Definitely one of my most enjoyable last year but I was on a Disney cruise.

Fourth... what to do in Tortula? Honestly, there isn't a lot. I attached a picture of the port from last year, it is VERY small.. you can see all the shops in 10 minutes and about 50% of them are empty. Maybe a dolphin excursion? They are always a lot of fun.

1093989189_2016026.jpg.5aae85cce6e290318dc94acd8a163db9.jpg