Sign & Sail Card in your mail box

CruiseHealing

How has this been working out? Is this now fleet wide with Carnival? My first thought is that this is not a good idea. What happens if you get to your room and your keys aren't in the Mailbox. Do you have to go with all of your carry-on to Guest Services to get your key?

How do they take your picture when boarding? Do you use your Boarding Pass through all of the check points?

What are your thoughts?

I haven't cruised under the new system but I do know a couple of answers for you...

Apparently they don't take your picture anymore for the S&S card- they use the pic from your passport or driver's license. (one thought- what about kids who don't have a passport OR DL??? Just thought of that, maybe someone else knows).

As for the S&S cards in the box outside your room, I haven't heard that it's been rolled out fleet-wide, but I'm not sure what ships it's on.

What they say is if you get to your room and the keys are missing or the sealed envelope has been opened, you should find your steward who will assist you to get new cards.

Does anyone know if this new process is on the Breeze now?

If you want a new picture or don't have a Passport, they will take it there.

If the tamper evident envelope has been opened or is missing, go to the P/D/FTTF line and have them deactivate the old cards and get new ones. I'm sure if your arms are full, you could ask the RS for assistance. They may be willing to open the cabin door once you state your name and they can verify against their list that you are supposed to be there. That's IF your cards are truly MIA and you're just not trying to go there earlier than you are allowed to. They won't help (and rightfully so) if you go there before your cabin is ready. That's one of the reasons they went to this system.

From what I have seen, the people that have experienced the process have no complaints. It's the ones that don't understand, are highly paranoid, or feel the need to fight change that have the issues.

Edited by firemanbobswife

It is not fleet wide. I know it is on the Splendor and I think it is on the Vista.

I am on the boards daily (probably more than I should) and have yet to find any reports of the S&S card not being in the mailbox. If your card isn't in the box, it might be that your room isn't ready. One of the reasons Carnival is switching to this system is the multitude of people that can't read the door sign. Absolutely not say this would be you CruiseHealing. And to all the other that will chime in: yes I know the S&S cards in the mail box are also a cost saving measure for on shore operations . But, yes, Cruisehealing you would need to trek up to GS if you are traveling alone.

Regarding your photo. They will use your passport photo if you have one and it still looks like you. If not, they simple take your photo at check in. Your smiling face is electronically transferred to your sail and sign card info prior to being printed on board.

You will use your boarding pass to enter the ship. Oh how is miss the ding as hand held devices are being used on more and more ships. You will also use your boarding pass to make purchases prior to getting your S&S.

My thoughts, like it or not, it is the wave of what is to come.

Go with an open mind and don't let it cloud you trip.

You will use your boarding pass to enter the ship. Oh how is miss the ding as hand held devices are being used on more and more ships. You will also use your boarding pass to make purchases prior to getting your S&S.

I saw someone say that the iPads do still make the ding sound [emoji846]

I saw someone say that the iPads do still make the ding sound [emoji846]

It is possible that each employee can adjust the volume and maybe even the sound but when we were off and on the Breeze in November I didn't hear anything. We were there for two weeks so there were multiple times off and on.

It is possible that each employee can adjust the volume and maybe even the sound but when we were off and on the Breeze in November I didn't hear anything. We were there for two weeks so there were multiple times off and on.

Could be. I'm going to tell them I want to hear it! [emoji3]

We just got off the Breeze this morning and upon Embarkation they took our photos for S&S Cards. They gave us ours cards shortly after that before boarding. :cool:

We both have passports but they did not use the photos on them.

OK so the system isn't in place on the Breeze. :) I doubt it will stay that way for our cruise in Sept... unless they decide it's not working and get rid of the new system altogether... :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...
How has this been working out? Is this now fleet wide with Carnival? My first thought is that this is not a good idea. What happens if you get to your room and your keys aren't in the Mailbox. Do you have to go with all of your carry-on to Guest Services to get your key?

How do they take your picture when boarding? Do you use your Boarding Pass through all of the check points?

What are your thoughts?

Just sailed on the Vista. They do take your photo when checking in at the counter in the Miami airport. You use your boarding pass for anything else until you go to your cabin to get your sail and sign card. We did not like having to go to the cabin just for that. One guy said his key wasn't there, went to guest services, they went back with him -no key, when back to guest services to get a key and entered the room and there was a woman in there resting on his bed! She said she got tired carrying her bag and just need to rest!!!! so not a good idea! Hope it isn't going fleet wide, but guess I will find out next weekend when I am on the Glory.

Just sailed on the Vista. They do take your photo when checking in at the counter in the Miami airport. You use your boarding pass for anything else until you go to your cabin to get your sail and sign card. We did not like having to go to the cabin just for that. One guy said his key wasn't there, went to guest services, they went back with him -no key, when back to guest services to get a key and entered the room and there was a woman in there resting on his bed! She said she got tired carrying her bag and just need to rest!!!! so not a good idea! Hope it isn't going fleet wide, but guess I will find out next weekend when I am on the Glory.

It's on the Glory now too, or so it's been reported. Never heard of such a thing happening. A lady resting on his bed? Really? This new way has been going on for quite a long time on Vista and Splendor and this is the first "report" of anything adverse that I have heard of. Wonder why they wouldn't have just grabbed a Cabin Steward to open the door initially? I believe they said it will be fleet wide soon and I hope it is. Speeds up check in with one less line to wait in.

I only did airport check in once and it was before they left the cards in the mailboxes. At the Port, they use your Passport pic or take another one if you need it.

That's sounds like a really dumb thing for Carnival to do

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not at all. From what I understand other cruise lines have been using this system for a long time so it must be working. It's been this way on Vista and Splendor for months. Also I liked it a lot when I experienced it myself on Vista. Makes things quicker. I hope they are implementing it for all the ships that have mailboxes soon.

If the primary goal is to keep people out of the stateroom until the appointed time, why can't they program the system to where the card just won't unlock the door until that time. I won't experience this until July but it just seems burdensome to have to fumble around with your boarding papers to buy a drink or something.

I don't see where it saves them any money. Somebody still has to handle the cards. I feel sorry for the room stewards who now have one more task to accomplish while trying to get all of the cabins ready for the turnaround.

I always wondered why they didn't just have one check in line for each deck. Then have all of the cards for that deck at the check in line rather than have each check in employee have to keep running back and forth for the cards.

Not at all. From what I understand other cruise lines have been using this system for a long time so it must be working. It's been this way on Vista and Splendor for months. Also I liked it a lot when I experienced it myself on Vista. Makes things quicker. I hope they are implementing it for all the ships that have mailboxes soon.

We sailed on RCL's Anthem of the Seas last month. Without doubt, the smoothest and quickest embarkation we've had to date. Not sure how many of Royal's ships has this system, but it seems to definitely be working. One thing they do is allow you to upload a photo as part of your online checkin. Not a 100% success rate on that from what I've read, but for us, I uploaded our photo's to their site about 2 weeks prior to the cruise and there were no issues, those were the photo's that were used/came up when we charged something to our s&s cards or debarked at port.

We got to the port in beautiful Bayonne New Jersey, pretty much walked up to an agent, who was standing alone at like a small podium with a tablet. Handed her our boarding passes and passports, answered a few questions, she handed those back to us, said have a great cruise, we went through security, then right onto the ship. From arrival to agent to onboard ship, was maybe 15 minutes..no waiting..no calling of group numbers....walked on. And we have no "status" with Royal as this was only our second cruise with them.

Once onboard however, they were firm, rooms are stated to be ready at 1 or 1:30 can't recall which, and for us, thats just how it was. We showed up at door nearest our cabin, about 10-15 minutes before they allowed us in. Couple folks tried to talk their way past the rep standing at the door, but no go. Doors opened at time stated, we went to our cabin, grabbed our room cards from the mailbox and that was that. We'd been on the ship for a couple of hours by then, so were more than ready to hit the cabin and dump our carry on's. Almost surprisingly, our luggage showed up within an hour, bonus!!

So again, not sure how many ships Royal has this on, but I'm thinking more than a few, and for sure it worked on Anthem last month. Oh, when we first boarded, we headed over to guest services to add cash to our account, only a couple people in line, so for that moment at least, gs wasn't overloaded with folks looking for their ship cards.

I don't see where it saves them any money. Somebody still has to handle the cards. I feel sorry for the room stewards who now have one more task to accomplish while trying to get all of the cabins ready for the turnaround.

I always wondered why they didn't just have one check in line for each deck. Then have all of the cards for that deck at the check in line rather than have each check in employee have to keep running back and forth for the cards.

Because now they don't need to have all those employees at the second check in desk so it saves them money. More importantly (to me) is or saves the passenger time. It takes the RS all of 3 seconds to plop the envelope in the mailbox while exiting the cabin after it's clean. So while I don't like them to have to do extra work, I don't consider this anything significant and shouldn't impact them negatively.

Could you imagine 100 passengers arriving within a short amount of time all for the same deck having only 1 line to stand in?! Ridiculous! Now they don't need to run anywhere because the cards are on the ship. It's a definite improvement.

Because now they don't need to have all those employees at the second check in desk so it saves them money. More importantly (to me) is or saves the passenger time. It takes the RS all of 3 seconds to plop the envelope in the mailbox while exiting the cabin after it's clean. So while I don't like them to have to do extra work, I don't consider this anything significant and shouldn't impact them negatively.

Could you imagine 100 passengers arriving within a short amount of time all for the same deck having only 1 line to stand in?! Ridiculous! Now they don't need to run anywhere because the cards are on the ship. It's a definite improvement.

I actually think it is an improvement and works pretty darn good.

You'll notice that anyone that thinks it's a dumb idea, won't work, will be a pain, etc. are those that have not yet boarded with this new process. We did on the Vista in Jan. and it was perfectly simple, easy and fine. No issued whatsoever.

We boarded and the bartender just scanned our barcode on our single sheet of paper boarding pass. We received our drinks. Simple. When the rooms were open, we went, took our envelope, tore it open and entered the cabin.

We will be doing this again in two weeks on the Glory and I was thrilled to find out that this will be the process again.