Sign & Sail Card in your mail box

CruiseHealing

OK so the system isn't in place on the Breeze. :) I doubt it will stay that way for our cruise in Sept... unless they decide it's not working and get rid of the new system altogether... :rolleyes:

They used our passport photos on the Breeze last month, but we did get our cards in the terminal. They took my son's picture even though he has a passport. His look changed a bit between 8 months old and 5-years-old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not at all. From what I understand other cruise lines have been using this system for a long time so it must be working. It's been this way on Vista and Splendor for months. Also I liked it a lot when I experienced it myself on Vista. Makes things quicker. I hope they are implementing it for all the ships that have mailboxes soon.

Haven't seen it in my past cruises on Princess, NCL, Disney, or Celebrity, but it has been a few years since I was on some of them.

Haven't seen it in my past cruises on Princess, NCL, Disney, or Celebrity, but it has been a few years since I was on some of them.

I believe it's RC that does it but I could be wrong. The only time I have experienced it was on Carnival. But I have seen people report in the many threads on this subject that other cruise lines have been doing it as well with no issues.

Edited by firemanbobswife

RC Does do this.

We sailed on RCL's Anthem of the Seas last month. Without doubt, the smoothest and quickest embarkation we've had to date. Not sure how many of Royal's ships has this system, but it seems to definitely be working. One thing they do is allow you to upload a photo as part of your online checkin. Not a 100% success rate on that from what I've read, but for us, I uploaded our photo's to their site about 2 weeks prior to the cruise and there were no issues, those were the photo's that were used/came up when we charged something to our s&s cards or debarked at port.

We got to the port in beautiful Bayonne New Jersey, pretty much walked up to an agent, who was standing alone at like a small podium with a tablet. Handed her our boarding passes and passports, answered a few questions, she handed those back to us, said have a great cruise, we went through security, then right onto the ship. From arrival to agent to onboard ship, was maybe 15 minutes..no waiting..no calling of group numbers....walked on. And we have no "status" with Royal as this was only our second cruise with them.

Once onboard however, they were firm, rooms are stated to be ready at 1 or 1:30 can't recall which, and for us, thats just how it was. We showed up at door nearest our cabin, about 10-15 minutes before they allowed us in. Couple folks tried to talk their way past the rep standing at the door, but no go. Doors opened at time stated, we went to our cabin, grabbed our room cards from the mailbox and that was that. We'd been on the ship for a couple of hours by then, so were more than ready to hit the cabin and dump our carry on's. Almost surprisingly, our luggage showed up within an hour, bonus!!

So again, not sure how many ships Royal has this on, but I'm thinking more than a few, and for sure it worked on Anthem last month. Oh, when we first boarded, we headed over to guest services to add cash to our account, only a couple people in line, so for that moment at least, gs wasn't overloaded with folks looking for their ship cards.

We too experienced this new procedure on the Vista in May. It worked to a tee and I must say that I was skeptical about the idea. Upon entering the ship they took a current picture of me since my passport photo has a goo-tee which I no longer have. My wife's passport photo was used.....Several folks wanted a new picture and they were granted their request. From conversations with the room stewards, the reason for this change was so that folks who were not supposed to enter their cabins prior to time indicated didn't.

You spend less time waiting in lines, but for those that like to get to the terminal early, wouldn't this mean that they would be in the waiting area longer?

I haven't experienced this yet. I likely won't for quite a while. It just appears that this procedure shifts the time spent in a second line to time spent sitting in the waiting area. It doesn't appear to save any time overall.

We too experienced this new procedure on the Vista in May. It worked to a tee and I must say that I was skeptical about the idea. Upon entering the ship they took a current picture of me since my passport photo has a goo-tee which I no longer have. My wife's passport photo was used.....Several folks wanted a new picture and they were granted their request. From conversations with the room stewards, the reason for this change was so that folks who were not supposed to enter their cabins prior to time indicated didn't.

Interesting. It sure makes the check in process easier as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You spend less time waiting in lines, but for those that like to get to the terminal early, wouldn't this mean that they would be in the waiting area longer?

I haven't experienced this yet. I likely won't for quite a while. It just appears that this procedure shifts the time spent in a second line to time spent sitting in the waiting area. It doesn't appear to save any time overall.

No. With Staggered check in, it keeps everyone from arriving all at once. I would rather be sitting than standing in line. If you're worried about a longer wait, select a later check in time or arrive around noon.

Is there a way to find out which ship of Carnival's is using this system? For me it will be Valor at the end of December 2017. I always like to be prepared for changes.

I know it's on Splendor, Vista, and Glory for sure. They are supposedly rolling it out fleet wide but I don't recall a time frame. I'm sure someone will post when more ships get added.

No. With Staggered check in, it keeps everyone from arriving all at once. I would rather be sitting than standing in line. If you're worried about a longer wait, select a later check in time or arrive around noon.

I always choose the earliest check in time possible and get FTTF, so this situation isn't exactly an issue for me. I overanalyze most things. I like to understand the minute details of everything.

I thought of that scenario because of what I experienced in New Orleans this past February. I had FTTF and the 10:00am-10:30am check in time. I wanted to be on the ship as soon as possible so I could sign up for the Behind the Fun tour. I got to the door at 10:05am, went through short lines, and sat down at about 10:20am. Boarding didn't start until somewhere between 11:30am - 11:45am.

The chairs in the FTTF aisle were close together, so there wasn't alot of room to get comfortable. I was dead tired since I got zero sleep the night before. I do that on purpose, but I normally don't get tired so soon except when flying. I took a 2 hour ride on Greyhound.

I only had my 22" Jansport backpack, but it was stuffed. I had a hard time keeping myself and my backpack on the same chair. I switched positions often trying to stay awake.

I was bored, which didn't help me stay awake. I have ADHD, so it can be a little frustrating when I don't have much to distract myself from the extended wait.

I played solitaire until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. My phone battery was getting low, so I stopped using it. I gave up, put my backpack on the seat, sat on the floor, and leaned my head against my backpack. I was in and out for about 30 minutes.

I always choose the earliest check in time possible and get FTTF, so this situation isn't exactly an issue for me. I overanalyze most things. I like to understand the minute details of everything.

I thought of that scenario because of what I experienced in New Orleans this past February. I had FTTF and the 10:00am-10:30am check in time. I wanted to be on the ship as soon as possible so I could sign up for the Behind the Fun tour. I got to the door at 10:05am, went through short lines, and sat down at about 10:20am. Boarding didn't start until somewhere between 11:30am - 11:45am.

The chairs in the FTTF aisle were close together, so there wasn't alot of room to get comfortable. I was dead tired since I got zero sleep the night before. I do that on purpose, but I normally don't get tired so soon except when flying. I took a 2 hour ride on Greyhound.

I only had my 22" Jansport backpack, but it was stuffed. I had a hard time keeping myself and my backpack on the same chair. I switched positions often trying to stay awake.

I was bored, which didn't help me stay awake. I have ADHD, so it can be a little frustrating when I don't have much to distract myself from the extended wait.

I played solitaire until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. My phone battery was getting low, so I stopped using it. I gave up, put my backpack on the seat, sat on the floor, and leaned my head against my backpack. I was in and out for about 30 minutes.

Vista's earliest check in is 11AM and Glory is 10:30. I have a feeling they will all eventually go to 11AM (or maybe later) as to make it more consistent across the board and to give the RS time to clean without passengers interrupting them. But that's just my personal opinion, no facts in that statement.

As far as keeping yourself entertained, I don't know what to tell you. I don't mind waiting in the terminal and like I said before, I would rather be sitting down than standing in a line. We hardly had any wait at all for Vista. We had the first check in time and I was Platinum.

I know it's on Splendor, Vista, and Glory for sure. They are supposedly rolling it out fleet wide but I don't recall a time frame. I'm sure someone will post when more ships get added.

I think the Fantasy class ships will be some of the last to switch to this. They don't have mailboxes. It wouldn't be difficult or too time-consuming to install them. I just hope they do a better job than they did on deck 6 of the Legend. Some of them had enough space at the bottom for small papers to fall out. Others were installed correctly and had the bottom right up against the rest of the mailbox.

I think the Fantasy class ships will be some of the last to switch to this. They don't have mailboxes. It wouldn't be difficult or too time-consuming to install them. I just hope they do a better job than they did on deck 6 of the Legend. Some of them had enough space at the bottom for small papers to fall out. Others were installed correctly and had the bottom right up against the rest of the mailbox.

I think you're right.

OK so the system isn't in place on the Breeze. :) I doubt it will stay that way for our cruise in Sept... unless they decide it's not working and get rid of the new system altogether... :rolleyes:

They system of using passport pictures and not taking photos for the Sail and Sign cards is absolutely is in place on the Breeze. We sailed on her in January 2017 and when they scan the passports before you go through security, they upload the passport pictures. The person working the scanner must have felt that they did not look enough like their passport pictures, so new pictures were taken. In our case, those horrible passport pictures followed us everywhere on the ship. They are still giving out Sail and Sign cards on the pier, but I assume that will end when the Vista arrives in Galveston.

We have sailed out of Galveston 4 times (on 3 different ships) since November 2016 and the system was being used on the Liberty, Breeze and Freedom.

How has this been working out? Is this now fleet wide with Carnival? My first thought is that this is not a good idea. What happens if you get to your room and your keys aren't in the Mailbox. Do you have to go with all of your carry-on to Guest Services to get your key?

How do they take your picture when boarding? Do you use your Boarding Pass through all of the check points?

What are your thoughts?

If the envelope has been tampered with you must go and report it right away.

I didn't see people doing that. No need to because cards are in the mailbox when the cabin is ready.

This is the card you are given at check in

9b1a6c0c7689a3b1c7395a5918ca919a.jpg

But what is keeping folks from going to see if their room is ready? Too many ignore the signs already.

But what is keeping folks from going to see if their room is ready? Too many ignore the signs already.

They have been known to have people at the door checking just like other ships. Also the signs too. If people are going to ignore the rules, then they are. Except they won't be able to get into their cabins because they won't have their cards. Hopefully after the first time of them seeing the envelope isn't there, they get the hint and come back when the doors are open. This is one of the reasons why they went to this system. Too many of the "rules don't apply to me" people getting in the way of the room stewards trying to work.