Our First SB Cruise - Tips/Tricks from Regulars, please?

NJBelle

I would not place a large bet on this one.

I will take that bet. Two cruises, both times boarded by noon and was well into lunch on the Lifo shortly thereafter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not sure why that bet was laid on the table, except that sometimes local authorities require crew drills that can delay embarkation, but other than once a couple of years ago in FLL when the Quest had a very intensive grilling - and scored a perfect 100, GA was very pleased - where we were all delayed from boarding until about 1 or so, and subsequently left port several hours late due to getting provisions for the TA loaded. Despite the delayed boarding lunch was still served.

As for suggestions, try all the venues for pre-dinner drinks, dinner, lunch, etc. While you might find on your first day you really enjoyed one venue, before settling into a routine explore all your options. Over the years we have met plenty of folks who say "I always go to XXX" for pre-dinner. We like to move around - each have their own unique vibe.

Thanks to all who provided input to us newbies. I am finishing my packing as we will be going to the airport tomorrow to fly to Sydney. We are so looking forward to our Seabourn adventure.

Unlike on our other favorite cruise lines, we have no status on Seabourn and no freebies like internet, etc. So depending on what kind of package we end up with, I may decide to post from the trip. Or at least I will post after the trip and let folks know how we experienced the Encore. I have high hopes and look forward to a fabulous cruise.

One last thing. If you are traveling alone ( just you two) ask to be invited to a hosted table for dinner. A member of the crew ( such as an officer or entertainer) will have a table with three or four couples. It is a great way to meet some people.

While the comments about the hosted tables is really appreciated I hope there will be plenty of 'table for two options. Many of us take a cruise not wanting to find a new bff.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, there are, though they do tend to fill up. Maybe go earlyish, or leave it until about 8.15 when the first diners will have left. You can get the staff to phone the bar to let you know when there is a table for you.

There is no need to 'do' hosted tables if you do not wish to. Just make sure to refuse as soon as possible, and if you have had one or two and do not want any more just tell the Square no more invitations please. Simple.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hosted Tables! What a disaster this can make of your night. How is it that a passenger affording a cabin can get to their 60-70's and agree to go on a hosted table possessing no capacity to provide some, any, even just a smidgeon, of enjoyment to the person next to them and for 2-3 hours just sit there, draining away the life-force of all but the most resilient. Time after time I’ve seen this. A timely question here?; a slight bon-mot about the gathering?: forget about it! A response to a light enquiry?: no way! Where have they been for 60-70 years!? The person sitting next them often has to turn, for any social engagement, to the other person, and do so totally, or, if necessary/possible, shout across the table. It’s draining. I don’t try to deal with it anymore. Within 5 minutes or so you just know whether your evening meal is going to be a painful thing; so, just get up and Go. To the colonnade or whatever. Wife’s got a headache, whatever. You won’t offend the life-force drainer(s): they really do believe that just by sitting there they’re the ones making the table a wonderful place to be. Mind you, you can also get really lucky: in a way that makes being at Dinner on Seabourn so worthwhile!

Hosted Tables! What a disaster this can make of your night. How is it that a passenger affording a cabin can get to their 60-70's and agree to go on a hosted table possessing no capacity to provide some, any, even just a smidgeon, of enjoyment to the person next to them and for 2-3 hours just sit there, draining away the life-force of all but the most resilient. Time after time I’ve seen this. A timely question here?; a slight bon-mot about the gathering?: forget about it! A response to a light enquiry?: no way! Where have they been for 60-70 years!? The person sitting next them often has to turn, for any social engagement, to the other person, and do so totally, or, if necessary/possible, shout across the table. It’s draining. I don’t try to deal with it anymore. Within 5 minutes or so you just know whether your evening meal is going to be a painful thing; so, just get up and Go. To the colonnade or whatever. Wife’s got a headache, whatever. You won’t offend the life-force drainer(s): they really do believe that just by sitting there they’re the ones making the table a wonderful place to be. Mind you, you can also get really lucky: in a way that makes being at Dinner on Seabourn so worthwhile!

Wow.

On two cruises we have dined at 6 hosted tables and never had that experience.

When I cruise solo or as a couple I accept some invitations to hosted tables and have usually found my dining companions to be interesting and/or amusing company. One or two duds of course but not so bad I'm forced to flee the table! I can only remember one misanthrope gold medal bore who didn't know even basic table manners or how to conduct a conversation. His opening gambit was "so, what's your net worth then?" --and it went downhill from there LOL. Boy, did he love the sound of his own voice.

But overall it's been a positive experience so I'd suggest accepting at least one invitation. You never know who you'll meet and heck, you might even like them!

• 1 month later...
Oh yes - i second the thought on the shopping with the chef. We did it in Quebec City and Tallin Estonia. Great for foodies.

I have an additional question - if you can find out what day/port this will be - does it cost extra like a shore excusion?

No it does not cost extra. When you board you can ask in Seabourn Square about when and where but they often play coy and will respond that they don't know and that you will have to check the Herald where it will be announced two days prior. I know, this can make it difficult to plan. I often have better luck asking a familiar face such as the Hotel Director, Food and Beverage Manager or the Chef himself. I think it has become a victim of its own success and would actually be happy if they just turned it into a paid excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually they only post the evening before - for relatively early the next morning. We really wanted to do this, but we had already signed up for (and paid for) our excursion which was leaving later in the morning, so we couldn't do it. I don't think the full component of passengers allowed signed up, since everyone was in the same boat (forgive the pun) regarding excursions too late to cancel. There was only one offering of Shopping with the Chef on this cruise of 16 days on the Encore in February.

Wow.

On two cruises we have dined at 6 hosted tables and never had that experience.

Wow. You are so lucky. I had a guy completely insult me. I was so shocked but we were at the captains table and didn't want to make a scene. Believe me, he was dead to me after that but also any contributions to the conversation that I could have made did not happen.

It's a hit or miss

I have an additional question - if you can find out what day/port this will be - does it cost extra like a shore excusion?

No and in Rio we got really lucky. The market was at least 45 minutes away and a local was brought on board. We had a tour without purchasing an excursion!

Wow. You are so lucky. I had a guy completely insult me. I was so shocked but we were at the captains table and didn't want to make a scene. Believe me, he was dead to me after that but also any contributions to the conversation that I could have made did not happen.

It's a hit or miss

I would like to think that our experience is typical but you were unlucky.

I must echo purpleslly's comments. My poor husband cringes when I tell him there is a hosted table invitation (say with a favorite Hotel Director) that we should accept. We have rarely accepted more than one per cruise over the last 16 years and I would say 90 percent of the time it does not go well. It can range from people just not understanding the concept of a hosted dinner where it is one polite to make conversation with persons seated on both sides of you to downright rude behavior (ordering a premium bottle of wine for themselves, moving Place cards, complaining about everything wrong with the cruise and cruise line).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Like Chairsin's husband, being forced to share a table with people he doesn't know is my husbands idea of hell. He is perfectly happy to chat with people on adjacent tables or to share a lunch table when the Colonnade is busy but having had a previous 'bad experience' we always politely decline ;)