Celebrity Reflection January 14 to 21 2017

Bimmer09

FRUIT AND VEGGIE CARVINGS - If this doesn't work, Norris please email me at my link below and I'll email them to you. They are not large.

eI9L3n6QH-HUt5cOw6h3X43P-heQfq7V6uEgcbrOt0EPMu1EtdgURbNal8cxNLpSL62h_iHo1VLVJnL3vcTIUT9KgDpdvmFEpNX0D9YX27jttT2mWCtlJq8vcIpMBBk4t6owLZx6Ju9RRZpRFWxhcjuWPAXLqUcNPx1TszeRHZHR7WhUaNpfEkgEOSd32SX9tO8XnGp63Tnq8bcDGx_7O6AgorLgFtXgRrlU5wU2w9sHVCPBy6yNVDxQLzMmRbB6mqupchWJVsaLYv8IbmrF_z6rPYdx4hGF88EKZ_vLeMCUTx4HNmrVw2AFkAMMieODJoK0rWTA_dtSnLiygveLU6YykOnu-cvHtn8HiA5Iw6pyP4IXWvhUXJTgHe6B8dsMTiCFLhPbbZmsi20g05kOdon5k7oPPNK-eGQThujN6Hk1uNgrBSHlyxvfHLlloLz47J3_ibBZaFHT-jwQBSQ_uer7MWdzUG_Na8yuhFGn-ymWn7LgbaOXnYIJDJXfsgiVQ2uswwt-qf-5UFqqd3p5JL3_JI1gQ6Z_LYFZi0jBdwgtuCnhkXxbQuR2AOZJP46iLsfhniaAf6I=s1451-w1451-h887-no

Peggy that worked beautifully! Well done problem-solver!

Norris

Beach in Cozumel

33371854240_1cc6c66367_b.jpg

With fewer and smaller ships the beaches weren't crowded

33756470735_173981ee9f_b.jpg

It's hard to believe that this mooring deck was already 16 years old in 1986. The ship was kept in immaculate condition.

33756467855_bb6d76c34d_b.jpg

33756465725_b55de2d989_b.jpg

Tuesday night (Formal) after dinner coffee-and a cigarette

33371856950_ba9f0a4cbb_b.jpg

Raimondo the Maitre 'D. His tiny office next to our table.

33756473495_f78493e50a_b.jpg

OMG Norris, sometimes I yearn for the old days - an ashtray on the table and a coffee after dinner. Well I can still get a coffee (a short black) after dinner but no ashtray on the table any more. Although I'm quite happy to smoke outside these days I occasionally miss those great conversations and the laughter we all shared over a drink and a fag back in the day.

I'm very much enjoying your info about your time on the SON. I had no idea this was all going on back then .... I was a young mum and busy wrangling little ones. What a great time you had ... thank you for sharing it with us.

Best to you and Carol

Sue

OMG Norris, sometimes I yearn for the old days - an ashtray on the table and a coffee after dinner. Well I can still get a coffee (a short black) after dinner but no ashtray on the table any more. Although I'm quite happy to smoke outside these days I occasionally miss those great conversations and the laughter we all shared over a drink and a fag back in the day.

I'm very much enjoying your info about your time on the SON. I had no idea this was all going on back then .... I was a young mum and busy wrangling little ones. What a great time you had ... thank you for sharing it with us.

Best to you and Carol

Sue

Yes every table had an ashtray and the venting was good otherwise even my eyes would have been watering. The bars were all smoking of course and that's really where I miss smoking while drinking and is the reason why the Sunset bar was my go-to on the S Class ships. On Princess it is the Tradewinds above the pool deck which closes at 7 pm! I would sit there until midnight if they stayed open spending money if there was no show to go to. I like the 1a.m. Sunset bar close. In Chicago I simply don't go to bars as I can't smoke. At home I can.

In a smoky room, the smell of wine and cheap perfume.... (Song quiz alert)

I am fine with the smoking restrictions on cruise ships now but could never sail a non-smoking ship. I would never smoke somewhere it isn't allowed as I don't wish to annoy anyone. I take a dim view though of the people who walk through the smoking section on a ship and suddenly have a coughing fit, waving frantically in the air as if attacked by a swarm of killer bees, while I, inhaling deeply, don't have a cough. That's just rudeness and a poor attempt at French mime.

Everyone breathes diesel on the streets in the USA. When I am smoking at the Sunset Bar there is about 10 billion cubic feet of air above and around me which dissipates the smoke.

I enjoyed every minute of every day on the Song of Norway and it seems to come across in the photos. I found more of them yesterday in an old shoe box in Michigan. And yet- I decided to give up playing on cruise ships and that will be explained later on.

Meantime, thanks for commenting on what is a touchy subject to some. I think there is probably only 20% of the USA population still smoking but if it gets down to 0.0000001% you know who the 1 will be.

Norris

I didn't realize that "I (heart) something" was that old.

Yes, it's been around for at least 30 years! That was given to Raimondo by Marvin Hagler.

Norris

33756475155_d961be9c53_b.jpg

Enjoying a visit to Shaw Park Gardens, Ocho Rios

33756477245_13e613ec78_b.jpg

High above Ocho sans weed...

33756481655_489a4db047_b.jpg

The Dave on the sun deck of SON in Labadee

32943529603_293e64741b_b.jpg

And here he is 20 years later...

C4OsZ5Pjscw
I have a love for Botanical Gardens. We have a great one in N Ireland called Mountstewart, worth a visit if your ship stops in Belfast and you've already seen the Titanic Museum and the Giant's Causeway. Palm trees grow well in N Ireland and I bet you didn't know that!
If a city Carol and I visit has a botanical garden we are there!

There's more to Ocho Rios than women selling baskets and guys selling weed.

I've made mention of the little surprises that cruise guests had on the SON, things I don't experience today. Ships still have Italian and French themed nights but the music is canned and there's no pizzaz-on the SON there was a strolling band on Italian Night (and French) and it was one of the Polish dance bands who strolled the MDR. Here they are at our table playing some jaunty Neapolitan song....

32992027093_18263499b7_b.jpg

As you know by now, one reason I love cruising is that you get to experience out of the ordinary things that don't happen in your daily life. This cost nothing for RCCL as the band was already paid to play. Just a great idea and one I'd love to see return. How about you?

The drummer, Teddy is at the back playing tamborine. This band often invited me, as I was up for anything moreso than the others, to their cabin for Vodka "tastings". A lovely bunch of men but homesick terribly. The money they earned was worth 10 times as much in Poland and that was their reason for putting up with the homesickness. They all had families or girlfriends. They were also saddened by the history of their country under Russian occupation and sometimes wept at the thought of Russians on their soil. Sad to see. They drank their vodka straight at a fierce clip while I am a sip and savor kind of guy who will try to find every nuance of flavor on the tongue and in the nose when poured, say , a glass of Jamesons or a pint of The Guinness. It's a full sensory experience to me.

These wonderful warm witty men took me to their bosom and while they gorged I took an easy pace as I wanted to live just a little while longer.

Teddy was the drummer and a cool guy and wonderful company.

One Monday the cruise director Greg Maxwell came to me and told me Teddy had fallen out of his top bunk and landed on the deck on his face and was in pain. Would I be able to fill in for him on the drums? Greg would adjust schedules so I could play in my own band too. Sure Greg, no problem.

When I saw Teddy later he was wearing sunglasses and had bruises on his poor face. He had been trying to forget the Russians after a night of vodka tasting and also forgot that he was in the top bunk when he rolled out of the bed and went SPLAT on the floor, face first.

That evening before my disco work I played with the band and had to read drum music for the first time live which was hair-raising. I could read the rhythms at home in London but here I had to focus like never before. I got through the experience better than imagined and was looking forward to playing with them again. I went to my next job with my own band where i knew all the songs by heart.

Tuesday was Ocho Rios day and we all went ashore.

Sadly the drummer from the Steel band (name withheld) purchased some medicinal Jamaican Flower Tops and was caught by security trying to smuggle them aboard.

He was ejected from the ship with his luggage. A call went out to find a replacement.

Greg came to me that afternoon and told me the story. Would I play with the steel band also? He was in a bind and the steel band was a fun part of the cruise for every one of the passengers. He would fix the schedule so I could play in all 3 bands for the rest of the week until Miami on Saturday. Sure, no problem!

So it as that I played with 3 bands and relied on my watch and a written schedule of where I was supposed to play and with whom and when.

I loved playing with the steel band as they played out by the pool and played reggae, ska and soca riddums. Girls in bikinis were everywhere and the whole vibe was dance until you drop( into the pool) and I thrived on the energy. I was physically fit and blasted away with Patrick and his Barbados friends. No rehearsal but I knew the songs anyway as I loved to listen to them by the pool. They were also the band at the midnight buffet so I got to play a couple of those too. That week I definitely ate my 9 meals a day! I would finish with one band and look at my watch and make my way to the next gig with a different band in a different part of the ship. It was amazing fun. Each room had a different drum set already in place so all I had to carry was a bag of drumsticks which I still have somewhere but they are battered and splintered.

Teddy got better and a new drummer was flown in from Barbados on Saturday.

We were also the Wedding Band on the ship as the couple would use the Land of the Rising Sun disco for their reception and we would play. We got extra $$ for this and the couple would tip us also. Nice! We probably did 10 weddings all told. Great fun!

Relaxing on the beach in Grand Cayman with a dancer

33675562751_0c4f1115d3_b.jpg

This guy was flamboyantly gay and a ton of fun and I wish I could recall his name but I didn't take notes back then as I was "in the moment". Gay or lesbian, black or white didn't matter to me as I was brought up well and had an open mind for as long as I can remember. If you could make me laugh or had a big heart you were in. Love those sunglasses!

The same dancer again with me and Paul

33648774572_6b7ab75655_b.jpg

Me and Dave in his two porthole cabin next door

33648774312_dd850ab307_b.jpg

Dave and Blake wonder what they've gotten themselves into

32961882324_ac16b9a03c_b.jpg

Scrabble until death...at sunset. I won.

Norris

Journey!! We were just in the City by the Bay last night, enjoying dinner and a show :)

Kathryn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Kathryn! Welcome and correct!

Just a couple of years ago I introduced Carol to the golden pipes of Sir Steve Perry and she was blown away by his voice (using the Houston Youtube recording). A singular singer!

We love San Francisco and dining there is always a pleasure. Have you eaten at Waterbar at all? Down by the foot of the Bay Bridge to Oakland?

Thanks for popping in!

Norris (also a big fan of The Girl Can't Help It with Randy Jackson from American Idol on bass and vocals)

[/color][/size]

Just a couple of years ago I introduced Carol to the golden pipes of Sir Steve Perry and she was blown away by his voice (using the Houston Youtube recording). A singular singer!

We love San Francisco and dining there is always a pleasure. Have you eaten at Waterbar at all? Down by the foot of the Bay Bridge to Oakland?

A singular singer indeed! We attended a concert with their new lead singer, and he sounds uncannily similar. Carol came late to the Journey party, but there is plenty of time for her to catch up, and loads of people who will happily croon along with her.

We've not eaten at Waterbar, but we recently enjoyed spectacular burgers and the Bay Bridge light show while dining at her sister restaurant, Epic Steak, which is right next door. Here's a photo taken from our outdoor deck table in case you want to try something new on your next visit. (First time posting a photo, so I hope it works!)

87443a05a69508504892303785c9082b.jpg

A singular singer indeed! We attended a concert with their new lead singer, and he sounds uncannily similar. Carol came late to the Journey party, but there is plenty of time for her to catch up, and loads of people who will happily croon along with her.

We've not eaten at Waterbar, but we recently enjoyed spectacular burgers and the Bay Bridge light show while dining at her sister restaurant, Epic Steak, which is right next door. Here's a photo taken from our outdoor deck table in case you want to try something new on your next visit. (First time posting a photo, so I hope it works!)

87443a05a69508504892303785c9082b.jpg

Thanks for the Epic recommendation.

Congrats on your first CC photo posting!

Norris

Yes every table had an ashtray and the venting was good otherwise even my eyes would have been watering. The bars were all smoking of course and that's really where I miss smoking while drinking and is the reason why the Sunset bar was my go-to on the S Class ships. On Princess it is the Tradewinds above the pool deck which closes at 7 pm! I would sit there until midnight if they stayed open spending money if there was no show to go to. I like the 1a.m. Sunset bar close. In Chicago I simply don't go to bars as I can't smoke. At home I can.

In a smoky room, the smell of wine and cheap perfume.... (Song quiz alert)

I am fine with the smoking restrictions on cruise ships now but could never sail a non-smoking ship. I would never smoke somewhere it isn't allowed as I don't wish to annoy anyone. I take a dim view though of the people who walk through the smoking section on a ship and suddenly have a coughing fit, waving frantically in the air as if attacked by a swarm of killer bees, while I, inhaling deeply, don't have a cough. That's just rudeness and a poor attempt at French mime.

Everyone breathes diesel on the streets in the USA. When I am smoking at the Sunset Bar there is about 10 billion cubic feet of air above and around me which dissipates the smoke.

I enjoyed every minute of every day on the Song of Norway and it seems to come across in the photos. I found more of them yesterday in an old shoe box in Michigan. And yet- I decided to give up playing on cruise ships and that will be explained later on.

Meantime, thanks for commenting on what is a touchy subject to some. I think there is probably only 20% of the USA population still smoking but if it gets down to 0.0000001% you know who the 1 will be.

Norris

Journey Don't Stop Believing

Relaxation as an art form

After several years in London of doing two jobs (one of which I forgot to pay taxes on-note to self-well done Sir!) and scurrying around looking at my watch as I had to be somewhere, it was nice to have one job which had plenty of down time built-in and no commute!

In the disco in the daytime

32961876824_a55eb14a16_b.jpg

Hammock therapy

32961877304_fa8be8d659_b.jpg

Labadee, good then. Good now.

My tiny home

32961877724_6fbe183879_b.jpg

Including the photographer there are 7 of us in here having fun with rum.

Back from a swim

32961878744_162081973f_b.jpg

The Starward tee-shirt tells me this is Cozumel

7 Mile Beach again

32961879364_8c4d3127e0_b.jpg

32961881014_763693d213_b.jpg

Norris

Marvin Hagler

32961887644_82497d3a59_b.jpg

Shaw Park Gardens

32961882894_7395d38fea_b.jpg

Escape the hustle and bustle of Ocho Rios...

Dunns River falls

32961880454_af77c64aa3_b.jpg

John and I in 1985. He passed 5 years ago.

Geoff, John and Norris 1985

32961879894_3d8d99c723_b.jpg

Pool Deck

33648780022_20cb69a83a_b.jpg

The pool was cold salt water and had shallow cool-off areas on either side to sit in.

You just saw from the swimming pool shot that all people needed to have maximum fun was some sun, a cool pool, some drinks with umbrellas in and a live band playing some reggae or such. The ships were tiny-Song of Norway at 23,000 tonnes was 1/10th the volume of Oasis of the Seas and primitive by today's standards but people who sailed on it had a good time and went back for more cruises. One 80 year old gentleman named Victor was saluted one Saturday as we left from Miami for this being his 17th cruise-on the Song of Norway! A well deserved round of applause.

Nothing says you are in the Caribbean and not at work or shoveling snow than a cold cocktail and the sound of a live Steel Band and yet it is something I don't hear on Celebrity. On Princess I have heard a couple of great bands from the islands but as often as not it is one steel drummer and a backing track-close but no cigar! It's cheaper to feed, accommodate and pay one guy rather than 4 but the customer loses out.

Song of Norway in Cozumel

32961884224_1eb9df3fbb_b.jpg

I know it has to be Cozumel because I am on another ship and that would be the Starward, the only ship that would let us board for a look-see. I never tried to get on the Song of America in Miami as that was turnaround day for them too and I would have been in the way of all the hustle and bustle and rush to get ready for a new set of passengers. Having a completely new set of 1,000 pax meant we didn't have to learn all new songs (hooray!) and could spend time ashore in Miami. Huey Lewis "Sports" and Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" were the big hits of the day and so we played songs from those and many Kool and the Gang songs too.

"Celebrate good times-come on!" Lionel Ritchie-"All night Long". We listened to our own music on Sony Walkmans as there were no phones, no iTunes, no downloading and MP3s-just tape cassettes. Simpler times! No selfies! No listening to half of a conversation on a cell phone..."Yo, wassup dude? Hey-guess where I am bro'? I'm at a urinal on a cruise ship! How's the reception?"

If you wanted to talk to someone you had to do it mano a mano and there were no emotes to express your feelings-you had to make your own frowny face or smile.

I kid you not. You couldn't say LOL - you had to actually do it.

The Starward version of The Hideaway

32961885444_58ce641985_b.jpg

Only 6 in the cabin!

32961886714_2555877687_b.jpg

We had a cabin on C Deck and the stairs leading down there were metal with no carpet and no paintings on the wall and only the rooms had A/C so the corridors were warm. Ours was a cabin that had an open door policy and people would stop by for some chat and some drinks as we always had beer and rum in stock. Beer, rum and really cool young people stopping by just added to the party atmosphere below decks as waiters, room stewards (and dancers) came off duty from a long shift to unwind.

Obviously Formal Night

32961888614_1cd2b63b7e_b.jpg

A cruise ship tradition is to wear nice clothes to dinner and a show on a couple of nights a week. This was new to me of course but I happily went along with it and still do. I don't think they even had to advise passengers to avoid wearing wife-beater tee shirts and flip flops and baseball caps turned backwards (defeating the very reason for the design). The ladies didn't have neck tattoos or any tattoos in fact and the men hadn't yet learned the allure of cutting a slit in their earlobes and inserting stretching disks to mimic the Masai tribesmen and using a stapler to join their nostrils together. I told you things were more primitive back then. Torn jeans just meant you (a) couldn't afford a new pair of Levis or (b) didn't have the number of a good seamstress in your Rolodex.

I have to thank this man

32961882044_9308baf1ae_b.jpg

This was John Mason, whom I had known since meeting him in London in 1976. Also from Northern Ireland, a piano player and singer whom I often worked with in London, Denmark and Canada. It was he who got the call to join the Song of Norway in August 1985 and who called me just 4 days after joining the ship to invite me along for the ride. We were neighbors in the same house in London from 1979 to 1986 which was the last time I saw him.

He was the only guy who ever indulged me in my love of speaking in Shakespeare and Dickens speech and we cracked each other up with our labyrinthine sentences to say the simplest thing.

He suffered a stroke around 2003 and was paralyzed on the left side of his body which meant he could only play piano with one hand and had a miserable existence until his death about 5 years ago (which I found out about 2 years ago). I had written him a letter of thanks before he died and included some of the photos that you have seen here. He was very touched. He got a windfall when a rapper "sampled" one of his songs he had written while a recording artist with a band called FRUUPP from N. Ireland. I am sure the Royalties eased his pain somewhat.

I raise my glass to him, as without him I would not be writing this today and would never have lived in America.

Bless you John.

You just saw from the swimming pool shot that all people needed to have maximum fun was some sun, a cool pool, some drinks with umbrellas in and a live band playing some reggae or such. The ships were tiny-Song of Norway at 23,000 tonnes was 1/10th the volume of Oasis of the Seas and primitive by today's standards but people who sailed on it had a good time and went back for more cruises. One 80 year old gentleman named Victor was saluted one Saturday as we left from Miami for this being his 17th cruise-on the Song of Norway! A well deserved round of applause.

Nothing says you are in the Caribbean and not at work or shoveling snow than a cold cocktail and the sound of a live Steel Band and yet it is something I don't hear on Celebrity. On Princess I have heard a couple of great bands from the islands but as often as not it is one steel drummer and a backing track-close but no cigar! It's cheaper to feed, accommodate and pay one guy rather than 4 but the customer loses out.

Song of Norway in Cozumel

32961884224_1eb9df3fbb_b.jpg

I know it has to be Cozumel because I am on another ship and that would be the Starward, the only ship that would let us board for a look-see. I never tried to get on the Song of America in Miami as that was turnaround day for them too and I would have been in the way of all the hustle and bustle and rush to get ready for a new set of passengers. Having a completely new set of 1,000 pax meant we didn't have to learn all new songs (hooray!) and could spend time ashore in Miami. Huey Lewis "Sports" and Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" were the big hits of the day and so we played songs from those and many Kool and the Gang songs too.

"Celebrate good times-come on!" Lionel Ritchie-"All night Long". We listened to our own music on Sony Walkmans as there were no phones, no iTunes, no downloading and MP3s-just tape cassettes. Simpler times! No selfies! No listening to half of a conversation on a cell phone..."Yo, wassup dude? Hey-guess where I am bro'? I'm at a urinal on a cruise ship! How's the reception?"

If you wanted to talk to someone you had to do it mano a mano and there were no emotes to express your feelings-you had to make your own frowny face or smile.

I kid you not. You couldn't say LOL - you had to actually do it.

The Starward version of The Hideaway

32961885444_58ce641985_b.jpg

Only 6 in the cabin!

32961886714_2555877687_b.jpg

We had a cabin on C Deck and the stairs leading down there were metal with no carpet and no paintings on the wall and only the rooms had A/C so the corridors were warm. Ours was a cabin that had an open door policy and people would stop by for some chat and some drinks as we always had beer and rum in stock. Beer, rum and really cool young people stopping by just added to the party atmosphere below decks as waiters, room stewards (and dancers) came off duty from a long shift to unwind.

Obviously Formal Night

32961888614_1cd2b63b7e_b.jpg

A cruise ship tradition is to wear nice clothes to dinner and a show on a couple of nights a week. This was new to me of course but I happily went along with it and still do. I don't think they even had to advise passengers to avoid wearing wife-beater tee shirts and flip flops and baseball caps turned backwards (defeating the very reason for the design). The ladies didn't have neck tattoos or any tattoos in fact and the men hadn't yet learned the allure of cutting a slit in their earlobes and inserting stretching disks to mimic the Masai tribesmen and using a stapler to join their nostrils together. I told you things were more primitive back then. Torn jeans just meant you (a) couldn't afford a new pair of Levis or (b) didn't have the number of a good seamstress in your Rolodex.

I have to thank this man

32961882044_9308baf1ae_b.jpg

This was John Mason, whom I had known since meeting him in London in 1976. Also from Northern Ireland, a piano player and singer whom I often worked with in London, Denmark and Canada. It was he who got the call to join the Song of Norway in August 1985 and who called me just 4 days after joining the ship to invite me along for the ride. We were neighbors in the same house in London from 1979 to 1986 which was the last time I saw him.

He was the only guy who ever indulged me in my love of speaking in Shakespeare and Dickens speech and we cracked each other up with our labyrinthine sentences to say the simplest thing.

He suffered a stroke around 2003 and was paralyzed on the left side of his body which meant he could only play piano with one hand and had a miserable existence until his death about 5 years ago (which I found out about 2 years ago). I had written him a letter of thanks before he died and included some of the photos that you have seen here. He was very touched. He got a windfall when a rapper "sampled" one of his songs he had written while a recording artist with a band called FRUUPP from N. Ireland. I am sure the Royalties eased his pain somewhat.

I raise my glass to him, as without him I would not be writing this today and would never have lived in America.

Bless you John.

Norris, did you teach Carol how to sit in that hanging egg shaped chair? I distinctly remember about 30 pages back a picture of her sitting in a similar chair[emoji848][emoji848]

Trip

Norris, did you teach Carol how to sit in that hanging egg shaped chair? I distinctly remember about 30 pages back a picture of her sitting in a similar chair[emoji848][emoji848]

Trip

No Trip, Carol is no stranger to chairs and benches. The modern ones on the S Class are fixed. I think the Starward one could be swayed back and forth like a cradle.

The Starward was a nice small ship. On the other end of the spectrum NCL had the SS Norway, formerly the France and what an impressive sight she was coming home on a Saturday morning! I haven't set foot on any NCL ship but the Starward. Similarly I have only ever set foot on one RCCL ship. I do love the ship designs they have come up with over the years (especially Radiance class) and they have always been pushing the envelope of what is possible on a ship-the Oasis class being a stunning development whose build and delivery I followed via videos featuring Captain Wright. I am always excited to see an Oasis or Allure docked next to us in port. However we really aren't drawn to sailing on a ship that vast and being among 6,000 pax, especially when gong ashore. Also the thought of having to book shows or restaurants in advance is not our style as we go with our mood or self- schedule while on board.

We lean towards ships which are less appealing to families and Princess and Celebrity hit bullseyes in that regard. I don't ever want to run into a guy in a Shrek or Mickey Mouse costume while at sea.

Norris, liking those clean, waterpark-free decks.

No Trip, Carol is no stranger to chairs and benches. The modern ones on the S Class are fixed. I think the Starward one could be swayed back and forth like a cradle.

The Starward was a nice small ship. On the other end of the spectrum NCL had the SS Norway, formerly the France and what an impressive sight she was coming home on a Saturday morning! I haven't set foot on any NCL ship but the Starward. Similarly I have only ever set foot on one RCCL ship. I do love the ship designs they have come up with over the years (especially Radiance class) and they have always been pushing the envelope of what is possible on a ship-the Oasis class being a stunning development whose build and delivery I followed via videos featuring Captain Wright. I am always excited to see an Oasis or Allure docked next to us in port. However we really aren't drawn to sailing on a ship that vast and being among 6,000 pax, especially when gong ashore. Also the thought of having to book shows or restaurants in advance is not our style as we go with our mood or self- schedule while on board.

We lean towards ships which are less appealing to families and Princess and Celebrity hit bullseyes in that regard. I don't ever want to run into a guy in a Shrek or Mickey Mouse costume while at sea.

Norris, liking those clean, waterpark-free decks.

Norris,

We were on the Allure. It was a fine ship and lots of fun. I'm with you though. Celebrity and Princess are what Pam and I both prefer. When it comes to ships, the classic ocean liner is our style.

Trip

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Song of America

33061720643_4e0ac0791a_b.jpg

The Song of Norway had already been sailing for 12 years before RCCL's 4th and largest ship came to Miami from the shipyard in Helsinki. They needed more capacity and so she could hold 1444 passengers (500 crew) in a hull of 705 ft by 94 ft by 22 feet draught. 37,500 metric tonnes in volume so still tiny by todays standards. Two swimming pools and a greatly expanded Viking Crown Lounge were notable features.

She was part of the fleet from 1982 to 1999 and at 34 years of age is still sailing as the Celestyal Olympia. I like the addition of the shade awnings behind the Viking Crown in the next photo.

33875370695_2b867c6d02_b.jpg

33061751213_05e039a1ae_b.jpg

33061761713_e9d832169a_b.jpg
33745900331_a5ab8ef425_b.jpg

So fun as always to "join you and Carol" on your cruise! Thank you for showing us your world below decks, too; such a treat! Can't wait for your next cruise review!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for your enthusiasm!

My next review will be October 22 from the Regal Princess. New ports for us and a new ship and the biggest we will have sailed on. There will be a couple of days in New York before which I am looking forward to seeing with a new camera.

Meantime I have just 18 photos left for this 1980s look-back so will be finished this weekend, possibly later today.

More later!

Norris