Celebrity Reflection January 14 to 21 2017

Bimmer09

Just giving you one last heartfelt thank you. I have enjoyed every minute of your cruising adventures and the RC down memory lane trip. Cannot wait to come aboard the virtual reality cruise in October with you and Carol. New ship and new ports! A lot to look forward to. Have a wonderful time in my birthplace, Houston, as well!!

Give Little Snowy a pat for me.

Take care Norris.

Just giving you one last heartfelt thank you. I have enjoyed every minute of your cruising adventures and the RC down memory lane trip. Cannot wait to come aboard the virtual reality cruise in October with you and Carol. New ship and new ports! A lot to look forward to. Have a wonderful time in my birthplace, Houston, as well!!

Give Little Snowy a pat for me.

Take care Norris.

Thank you for all your responses during the review!

We have been visiting Houston since disembarking the Caribbean Princess in Bayport, January 2014. We found our perfect hotel in The Lancaster on Texas Street. We have been back in May in 2015 and 16 as a friend of ours is starring at the Opera there. We are going back this May to hear her in Wagner Opera. I have already booked us in two of our favorite restaurants-Pappas Bros. and Brennans.

See you in October!

Norris

Always good to have you along on one of my Epics!

I began reading my Coral Princess review this morning....only 12 pages! I took about 300 photos on that one using my little Canon point and shoot which will go with me on my next cruise as it comes in handy so I'll have 5 cameras. Yikes! So the days of 12 pages are long gone and I know many folks can't be bothered to read my huge ones but I'm not writing for them. I dread to think how long and involved they will be when I retire in 5 years and have time on my hands which I don't now.

In the meantime between now and October I will be learning Lightroom and Photoshop more fully and learning photography in greater detail so I have some fun months of exercising my brain ahead. I hang out on the photo discussion boards and there are some guys there who know exactly what they are doing whereas I am flying by the seat of my pants most often. That will change with some work on my part. I've only had a DSLR camera for 4 years and am getting the bug and am enthusiastic to learn more.

Your Divina review will be of great interest to me. MSC have a foothold in the USA now and I'll be interested to know how it performs for someone used to cruising American lines.

Hope to see you in October on the Princess Board!

Cheers!

Norris

You can always count on me to read your reviews Norris whether they be 12 pages or 212 pages. I too also bought a DSLR 3 years ago and I just purchased Adobe Elements Premier 15 and Adobe Photoshop.

I also have a DJI drone, a new DJI Osmo mobile and a go pro I have been practicing with. I just need to learn how to write now

You can always count on me to read your reviews Norris whether they be 12 pages or 212 pages. I too also bought a DSLR 3 years ago and I just purchased Adobe Elements Premier 15 and Adobe Photoshop.

I also have a DJI drone, a new DJI Osmo mobile and a go pro I have been practicing with. I just need to learn how to write now

Thank you very much for your enthusiasm for my quirky reviews be they 12 or 212 pages long! LOL!

To be honest, the longer ones just happened when I got a camera I was always itching to use, which I wasn't really with a point and shoot nor with an iPhone, even though they can produce great instant photos. I understand the appeal of the DJI Osmo mobile but I love dials and buttons and a DSLR gives my brain a workout and then some.

Even with a great Canon camera and top of the line lenses you can get crappy photos if you haven't thought the thing through. You can set them to auto everything of course but there's less fun in that for me and no challenge. I enjoy math which is a weird thing to say and being a big part of getting a good photo instead of a camera holder which I would be using a point and shoot.

As I am shooting RAW now I have to work the pics in Lightroom and eventually Photoshop if I want to manipulate pics more....but I don't want to do much of that as what I see through the viewfinder is usually good enough for me. A scenic view is a scenic view and I don't usually want to eliminate a tree over there and replace it with a chandelier or Botticelli's Venus rising from the sea. Anything is possible today but nothing beats what your eyes see, especially on holiday in a cool place, which is exactly where I go on cruise ships. As I have taken as many as 1800 pics for a review I spend as little time in Lightroom as I can without laboring over details and using paintbrushes etc as I have a job and a life and other interests and this cat that needs 10 square meals a day apparently.

I have sometimes made notes of what I want to photograph when going on a cruise and then forget all that once I am onboard and in cruise mode. That's a sure way to have to scramble on the last day which I always have done. I hope to correct that on the next trip. I blame ships for being so relaxing and blowing my cares away, your Honor.

Take some great pics on the Divina with that DSLR and Osmo/Go-Pro you have and then just write around them as I do. I download my pics at the end of each day so I have a clue as to what happened and Carol's iPhone notes fill in all the stuff I have forgotten. Take spare memory cards as you won't want to run out and pay ship prices.

I think I have only read one notable MSC review- by Gambee, although I don't have the link to share. He takes great photos and is a fun writer whom I always read. Yours can be the next but just go along to enjoy yourself and let us know how it was. That's all you can ask of any review and all of them are helpful, which is what makes CC such a great resource.

Just leave the Drone at home and stay out of trouble!

Cheers!

Norris

Thank you very much for your enthusiasm for my quirky reviews be they 12 or 212 pages long! LOL!

To be honest, the longer ones just happened when I got a camera I was always itching to use, which I wasn't really with a point and shoot nor with an iPhone, even though they can produce great instant photos. I understand the appeal of the DJI Osmo mobile but I love dials and buttons and a DSLR gives my brain a workout and then some.

Even with a great Canon camera and top of the line lenses you can get crappy photos if you haven't thought the thing through. You can set them to auto everything of course but there's less fun in that for me and no challenge. I enjoy math which is a weird thing to say and being a big part of getting a good photo instead of a camera holder which I would be using a point and shoot.

As I am shooting RAW now I have to work the pics in Lightroom and eventually Photoshop if I want to manipulate pics more....but I don't want to do much of that as what I see through the viewfinder is usually good enough for me. A scenic view is a scenic view and I don't usually want to eliminate a tree over there and replace it with a chandelier or Botticelli's Venus rising from the sea. Anything is possible today but nothing beats what your eyes see, especially on holiday in a cool place, which is exactly where I go on cruise ships. As I have taken as many as 1800 pics for a review I spend as little time in Lightroom as I can without laboring over details and using paintbrushes etc as I have a job and a life and other interests and this cat that needs 10 square meals a day apparently.

I have sometimes made notes of what I want to photograph when going on a cruise and then forget all that once I am onboard and in cruise mode. That's a sure way to have to scramble on the last day which I always have done. I hope to correct that on the next trip. I blame ships for being so relaxing and blowing my cares away, your Honor.

Take some great pics on the Divina with that DSLR and Osmo/Go-Pro you have and then just write around them as I do. I download my pics at the end of each day so I have a clue as to what happened and Carol's iPhone notes fill in all the stuff I have forgotten. Take spare memory cards as you won't want to run out and pay ship prices.

I think I have only read one notable MSC review- by Gambee, although I don't have the link to share. He takes great photos and is a fun writer whom I always read. Yours can be the next but just go along to enjoy yourself and let us know how it was. That's all you can ask of any review and all of them are helpful, which is what makes CC such a great resource.

Just leave the Drone at home and stay out of trouble!

Cheers!

Norris

Yes the Drone will definitely be staying home. I'm still learning how to operate it but it does give fantastic videos and shots from a way different prospective and in 4K.

The Osmo will be for my phone when I video as it has a 3 axis gimbal and reduces the "seasickness" I get when someone shows their video and walks around with their phone Osmo keeps it steady and no shaking. The gopro will come in handy it wet conditions. As for SD cards I carry 10 SD cards most are 16GB and I have a couple 32GB too. Overkill I know but I buy them when they go on sale.

I have read all of Gambee's reviews as well and he does a good job but he is NO NOrris.

Another review on the Divina that is newer located on youtube by "Chubby and Away"

Another review on the Divina that is newer located on youtube by "Chubby and Away"

Thanks for the video link! The balcony cabin certainly looked good and I watched their good bad and ugly segments.

While I am here I want to correct the name of the Carnival ship I sailed to Venezuela back in 1990-it was the Celebration not the Inspiration (in service 1993).

Thanks for the info re the drone and "steady cam" info.

Have maximum fun on the Divina!

Norris

Norris, thanks for another great review - and history lesson/story. I really enjoyed seeing the Song Of Norway. We did our first cruise in 2003, so it's nice to see what past cruising was like.

I look forward to your future cruise reviews (and blogs)

Howard and Janeen, thanks for being in yet another of my reviews-maybe all of them?

Yes there had been a lot of cruising and people catching the bug way before 2003 and way before 1985 when I started enjoying a life on the sea. All you need is a ship, a good crew, lots of food, well-stocked bars, some ports and some entertainment and you have a cruise.

There's so much bang for your buck now though and the cost is about the same and how many things can you say that about 30 years later? I never heard anyone complain about the wi-fi signal then or about gluten or vegetarian meals or portions or Celebrity Chefs or movie choices or Beverage Packages. No one was taking selfies or yakking on the phone in the elevator or at a urinal. No one complained about the lack of entertainment after 11 pm and a lot of people didn't get to bed until after 3 a.m. One pool filled with cold seawater, no hot tubs but you never had a problem getting a drink on deck. Chair hogs hadn't yet been invented. Some drinks, a game of cards with good company, a paper book being read in a deck chair, conversation among new friends before a nice hot dinner and a show-all the basics were there and so people enjoyed them then as they do now. But now they have many more options; better, safer ships that can steer themselves and covered lifeboats with GPS, helicopter landing pads, automatic sprinkler systems, Medical Centers, 24 hour Guest Services, Loyalty Perks, multiple restaurants, pools, saunas, quiet areas, hot tubs, suites and butlers, 24 hour room service, movies on demand in your room or on a big screen on deck, wi-fi....and on and on until you come to the Oasis Class where the ship lacks for nothing in amenities.

So you'll seldom hear me complaining about the value you get when you board a modern cruise ship.

Cheers!

Norris

Nancy, thanks for being in just about every review I have written and this is the 12th!

I look forward to seeing you in the Regal one and beyond.

Cheers!

Norris

Norris, no matter how many of your reviews I have read, and I believe I have read all of them, you have surprised me with a talent I did not know you had! By. That I am referring to your knowledge of chocolate egg cremes! My DH originally hails from Brooklyn and is a huge fan of that treat. Although we do not make them often, he does keep the necessary supplies on hand.

Like so many others here, I've made a note on my calendar to look for your next review on October 22 on the Princess board.

I want to thank you very much one more time for writing this fantastic review and sharing it with us. I hope you and Carol have a wonderful time in Houston and on your Princess cruise in October. :D

Norris, no matter how many of your reviews I have read, and I believe I have read all of them, you have surprised me with a talent I did not know you had! By. That I am referring to your knowledge of chocolate egg cremes! My DH originally hails from Brooklyn and is a huge fan of that treat. Although we do not make them often, he does keep the necessary supplies on hand.

Like so many others here, I've made a note on my calendar to look for your next review on October 22 on the Princess board.

I want to thank you very much one more time for writing this fantastic review and sharing it with us. I hope you and Carol have a wonderful time in Houston and on your Princess cruise in October. :D

Nancy, thanks as always for reading my stuff and for the encouragement you offer through your responses.

I have a long way (183 days!) to go before our next cruise but the weather in Chicago is improving and we do have Houston to look forward to May 5th through 8 th and we love our visits there to that hospitable Texan city.

We have yet to choose excursions on our Regal cruise so that will be fun as we are going to some scenic ports- particularly Bar Harbor, Maine. ( I see lobster rolls in our future!) We are usually in Northern Michigan, staying on Mission Peninsula near Traverse City at that time of year on a fall Foliage quest but it will be a whole new experience to sail out of New York Harbor with the trees changing color.

I'll see you then!

Norris

Thank you, Norris , for another interesting cruise review and sharing your early adventures at sea.

My DH and I enjoyed the photos you posted of your days as a musician on a cruise ship. They brought back memories of the eighties,especially the hairstyles,facial hair ( sideburns and moustaches for the gents) and fashion ( my DH wore crew socks and sneakers with shorts and aviator sunglasses then ).

The eighties is our decade in that we met in 1980, married in 1983 and took our fist cruise in 1986.

That cruise was on the Big Red Boat sailing from Florida to Nassau,Bahamas. There was one pool, one MDR where the waiters' nightly outfits matched the theme of the cuisine and we had a porthole cabin that was larger than some subsequent balcony cabins we have occupied.

However, that 1986 cruise started us on cruise vacations, we enjoyed it so much.

We wish you and Carol many days of happy cruising in the coming years. We hope that you enjoy the New England -Canada cruise on the Regal Princess in October.

Although the design of the Regal differs from the Grand class of Princess ships, it offers some different features that you may enjoy.

The Piazza is very grand in space and offers varied entertainment during the day and evening. There are a number of quiet nooks in the public places and the IC and the gelato areas offer tempting treats.

We found that when we did not compare the Regal to the Crown, Caribbean or Sapphire, and appreciated the ship for what it was, we enjoyed the ship very much.

Bon voyage ! Looking forward to your next review in October !

Nancy, thanks as always for reading my stuff and for the encouragement you offer through your responses.

I have a long way (183 days!) to go before our next cruise but the weather in Chicago is improving and we do have Houston to look forward to May 5th through 8 th and we love our visits there to that hospitable Texan city.

We have yet to choose excursions on our Regal cruise so that will be fun as we are going to some scenic ports- particularly Bar Harbor, Maine. ( I see lobster rolls in our future!) We are usually in Northern Michigan, staying on Mission Peninsula near Traverse City at that time of year on a fall Foliage quest but it will be a whole new experience to sail out of New York Harbor with the trees changing color.

I'll see you then!

Norris

Norris, I feel your pain about your 183 days to go. We have 196 days until our next cruise, but only 2 weeks until Vegas! I will catch the first few days of your Regal review before I go missing for at least 10 days while we sail on Koningsdam, a brand new cruise line for us.

As a native born New Englander, I'm sure you will love the fall colors you will see. I do think that some fresh caught Maine lobster in whatever form you prefer is a must-do! :D

Thank you, Norris , for another interesting cruise review and sharing your early adventures at sea.

My DH and I enjoyed the photos you posted of your days as a musician on a cruise ship. They brought back memories of the eighties,especially the hairstyles,facial hair ( sideburns and moustaches for the gents) and fashion ( my DH wore crew socks and sneakers with shorts and aviator sunglasses then ).

The eighties is our decade in that we met in 1980, married in 1983 and took our fist cruise in 1986.

That cruise was on the Big Red Boat sailing from Florida to Nassau,Bahamas. There was one pool, one MDR where the waiters' nightly outfits matched the theme of the cuisine and we had a porthole cabin that was larger than some subsequent balcony cabins we have occupied.

However, that 1986 cruise started us on cruise vacations, we enjoyed it so much.

We wish you and Carol many days of happy cruising in the coming years. We hope that you enjoy the New England -Canada cruise on the Regal Princess in October.

Although the design of the Regal differs from the Grand class of Princess ships, it offers some different features that you may enjoy.

The Piazza is very grand in space and offers varied entertainment during the day and evening. There are a number of quiet nooks in the public places and the IC and the gelato areas offer tempting treats.

We found that when we did not compare the Regal to the Crown, Caribbean or Sapphire, and appreciated the ship for what it was, we enjoyed the ship very much.

Bon voyage ! Looking forward to your next review in October !

Hello again and thanks for the comments.

Having read many reviews on the Regal Princess I am aware that the interior design is beautiful to look at and a different color palette than the older Princess ships which I am used to-it's certainly an evolution rather than a revolution which I consider the S Class ships of X to be and the Edge is another revolution- brand new thinking. It's the outer decks that set my teeth a gnashing and my head a scratching but as this is not the Princess board I'll leave my complaints until October. Suffice it to say that making the balconies smaller and the lesser number of crowd-dispersing pools including space given to a goofy water show set me off on a rant. But I'll see it all in the flesh come October. I'll of course enjoy the Princess service and food and entertainment as much as I usually do.

I've already wish-listed excursions for each port and we'll book them this weekend as I am off work on Sunday. For the first time with Princess we have to pay for them at the time we book them.

The American ladies certainly had big hair in the 1980's and indeed the men had mustaches and sideburns and wore open neck shirts with wide collars. That fashion hadn't caught on yet in the UK when I left.

Thanks for coming down memory lane with me!

See you in October!

Norris

Norris,

Having just returned from a week on the Regal Princess, I agree with your perception of the ship. Inside spaces are beautiful, outside spaces are poorly thought through. After one time on a Royal class ship, I'm looking at returning to the Grand and Super-Grand classes, hopefully trying out a Panamax ship in the near future as well. I wouldn't turn down another week on a Royal class ship, if the itinerary and price are right, but nothing about the ship made a strong positive impression.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Norris, I feel your pain about your 183 days to go. We have 196 days until our next cruise, but only 2 weeks until Vegas! I will catch the first few days of your Regal review before I go missing for at least 10 days while we sail on Koningsdam, a brand new cruise line for us.

As a native born New Englander, I'm sure you will love the fall colors you will see. I do think that some fresh caught Maine lobster in whatever form you prefer is a must-do! :D

Nancy, I have already wish-listed an excursion which finishes with a lobster lunch-not a lobster roll but a whole one on a plate. It turns out that lunch is in Halifax Nova Scotia after a visit to Peggy's Cove which is a harbor I will photograph to within an inch of its life. I'll be revisiting the excursions and see if there's Maine lobster to be had in Bar Harbor using TripAdvisor. We will grab a lobster roll wherever we see one.

Koningsdam is a fine looking ship indeed. Where are you sailing on her?

Norris

Nancy, I have already wish-listed an excursion which finishes with a lobster lunch-not a lobster roll but a whole one on a plate. It turns out that lunch is in Halifax Nova Scotia after a visit to Peggy's Cove which is a harbor I will photograph to within an inch of its life. I'll be revisiting the excursions and see if there's Maine lobster to be had in Bar Harbor using TripAdvisor. We will grab a lobster roll wherever we see one.

Koningsdam is a fine looking ship indeed. Where are you sailing on her?

Norris

We will be sailing to Amber Cove, San Juan, Bonaire, Curacao, & Aruba on Koningsdam. We have an aft balcony cabin and will have Scubacruisersx2 (Joe & Pat) right next door to us. Needless to say, I will have great dive buddies on this trip! I have wanted to dive in Bonaire since I was first certified to dive way back in 1975, so I am really looking forward to this trip. :D

You should have no problem finding great lobster in Bar Harbor. It has been a long time since I have been up that way, so I'm not going try & offer any suggestions. I'm sure a lot has changed since I was there last, and you will do better with more recent reviews. I can't wait to see the pictures you get!

Norris,

Having just returned from a week on the Regal Princess, I agree with your perception of the ship. Inside spaces are beautiful, outside spaces are poorly thought through. After one time on a Royal class ship, I'm looking at returning to the Grand and Super-Grand classes, hopefully trying out a Panamax ship in the near future as well. I wouldn't turn down another week on a Royal class ship, if the itinerary and price are right, but nothing about the ship made a strong positive impression.

Rob did you or will you write a review on the Regal?

I have been on the Coral-a Panamax ship- and that was a beauty with it's wide promenade decks and indoor pool and so few passengers compared to the size of the ship. See review in my signature if you haven't already. If it had aft cabins with a wake view we would have sailed on it again.

I'm hoping to give the Regal a fair shake when I experience those outer decks for myself and won't bore the X fans by going into detail here.

Cheers!

Norris

I have been on the Coral-a Panamax ship- and that was a beauty with it's wide promenade decks and indoor pool and so few passengers compared to the size of the ship. See review in my signature if you haven't already. If it had aft cabins with a wake view we would have sailed on it again.

I'm hoping to give the Regal a fair shake when I experience those outer decks for myself and won't bore the X fans by going into detail here.

Cheers!

Norris

I planned on it, I haven't gotten to it as of yet. I may get started this week. I'll let you know if and when I get it written. In the meantime, if you have any questions, just ask.

Norris your sail down memory lane (memory ocean?) makes me wish I had started cruising 15 years earlier:D

Robert

Robert, glad you read it and enjoyed. I don't know which year you started cruising but at least you started and found out what you had been missing.It's not for everyone I imagine and there are other great ways to enjoy a vacation on land or on the sea if you own or rent a boat and go sailing. If you are passionate about skiing or camping then you're in the mountains . We like to mix land and sea.

We look forward to our next cruises even though the waits in between are so lengthy. When retired we will have the time for more land trips and cruises. In the meantime there is work (thank goodness) and the everyday life. Next year I get three weeks of vacation. Bring it on.

All of us who cruise are very lucky, I think, to have found something we are passionate about and enjoy so much. We always have that next cruise to look forward to and dream about.

When and where is your next and what was your last?

Norris

When and where is your next and what was your last?

Norris

Norris, my last was a 2 week Eclipse cruise out of Miami (sorry no review) and my next is an 18 day trans Atlantic on Oceania this Fall. It will be a new line for me so I am really looking forward to it. I am still working but am lucky enough to get 5 weeks vacation per year and as you can see I spend most of my vacations on a ship. I do have memorable land trips on occasion as well.

Robert

I want to tell you the smoking area is pretty nice on Regal. There's coffee in the morning and drink service. I don't think when you get up at 5 am though. Pam

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.5 HD using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the intel Pam-are you referring to the promenade aft section? I usually just get coffee from the buffet or IC if I have a coffee card. The "fresh brewed" has always been weak and nowhere near as good as the Lavazza they serve on X.

Is there a Tradewinds Bar smoking section above the pool deck? I know I can smoke by the aft pool (don't laugh-I mean footbath) but is there a bar there?

I will be up at 5 a.m as is my custom.

Cheers!

Norris

The main smoking area is on deck 17. No bar , but the waiters were vigilant . It's a nice area by the "dipping pool". The promenade area on starboard was fine, with great views ,but not many chairs.

I did the Caribbean on the Regal, so had 3 sea days. Enjoyed the Royal Tea very much. Also meeting the entertainment staff was fun. In September , I'll be on the Crown with similar ports as you Regal cruise . Fenway Park is high on my list. Pam

Cheers!

Norris

Norris,

I just posted my review on the Princess board. You can find the link in my signature below. I'm not the storyteller you are, but it should give you a good idea on our thoughts on the Regal Princess.